Why do you want this to die?

Why do you want this to die?

We don't.
Please go back.

i only use the CLI

GUIs are BLOATED

Can’t post on Sup Forums without a GUI browser

Because wayland is better, and is not nearly as bloated with legacy and code that no one knows how to maintain anymore.

ohoh, and in which concrete way wayland would be better than xorg without considering the fact that it is not supported by anything?

I don't. I do not look forward to 10 years of rolling beta development on Wayland like what happened when we moved away from GNOME 2 and KDE 3.5 into their new versions, and of course SystemD.

>and is not nearly as bloated with legacy and code that no one knows how to maintain anymore.
Then perhaps they should find out? I don't care how hard the maintainer's job is, it's their job to maintain it. No one says they'll buy a new car because it's easier for the local mechanic to work on.

It will be supported in 15 years! By which point we can do what we're doing now.

If I had to name nothing else? Sheer size. X.org is a bloated mess.
It's faster, and you don't have to deal with tearing.

They don't. Thus wayland.

>They don't. Thus wayland.

So examining code we have is easier than messing around spending nearly 10 years getting something to beta stage?

And if you say "but that's haaarrrrd" I don't care how hard it is. It's your job to maintain the code, not fuck around.

>It's faster
So on my 15 year old laptop (that runs X perfectly) it will be faster to use Wayland?

If your de is not shit, then you don't deal with tearing usually.

Only the propriety graphics drivers have trouble with wayland. QT5 and GTK3 fully support it

>its your job

Lmao. The devs can do anything they want with it. If they don't want to work with that messy piece of spaghetti, they won't do it just because you want them to.

Nobody is examining x.org's code. Wayland is clearly the future. The tradeoff has already been made and it's easier to keep committing to wayland at this point.

Not in my experience.

>x.org
literal garbage

>they won't do it just because you want them to.

Then I might as well go back to propriety software if the user isn't important. At least they're honest when they fuck the user over.

>The tradeoff has already been made and it's easier to keep committing to wayland at this point.

"I cut your hand off, I might as well take the entire arm as well."

To say "we've wasted a decade on this, you have to let us have another now to get to where we are already" is not an argument.

I don't. Works fine for me.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out, fag.

Fpbp as always.

>Works fine for me.

Ha, but have you thought about the person maintaining the code not being comfortable in his chair? Huh? Well?

The rest of the arm was infected and bloating. Best to cut it off before it reaches the heart.
You're retarded. Why the fuck are you shilling for x.org? Mad you're the only one still developing for it?

No. Why should I care?

>because it's nothing but hacked together "functionality" that can only be configured by having encyclopedic knowledge of all of its subsystems, or by googling for some mystical settings that you could basically never know of unless you've been using x.org for a decade

Go ahead. You're just another faggot who thinks open source sw should be catered to your specific needs. You probably don't even give anything back to the community.

It's more secure. It prevents applications from spying on each other without the user's consent.

>Why the fuck are you shilling for x.org?

Because my computer fucking works.

And if X is so shitty and bloated, what is to be gained by recreated that shit and bloat, then trusting those SAME PEOPLE not to do it all over again?

Do you think that Waylan is getting to get a 1.0 and then never ever be touched again? No, all that bloat is going to come back, only this time everyone else is going to be trying to keep their part of the pile together.

>open source sw should be catered to your specific needs.

You mean having a computer that works?

Literally this

I'm sure if they spent the 10 years of development on Wayland on X they could have done exactly that.

It also has client side decorations which means that applications (ie web browsers) won't have to implement shitty hacks to workaround the lack of client side decoration support in X.org.

I prefer xorg only because it is network-aware, but probably this will be implemented also on wayland in a few years

only nvidia doesn't support it

Because it's not good at playing HD videos,games, or bloated JS-heavy web pages.

Basically, X needs to die so people can play on their computer easier.

GUIs were a fucking mistake.

I don't want it to die until there is a worthy replacement, so maybe I'll want it to die in 10 years or so.

You can use links or edbrowse, which support javascript.

threads like this is why no one uses linux on the desktop

You're a special kind of stupid.
Lurk two years and use GNU/Linux more than 4 before commenting kudasai.

>implying making it easier for devs to force their shitty window decorations is a good thing

Wayland is not a replacement for X.
To be able to do even the bare minimum you need a bunch of additional libraries. Most of them glib-infested crap.
Plus every Wayland compositor is bloated buggy shit.

It's only faster if you use abominations like GTK that bypass X as much as possible.

X is copy-heavy garbage. Wayland is much more efficient because it hands thinks like dma-bufs around.

You don't need to have a fucking crappy rendering library (designed in the 70s) built into your window system.
Also, literally none of the "required" wayland libraries need glib.
All you actually need is libwayland-client, and maybe EGL + GL if you're going to do hardware accelerated rendering,

yeah you don't things like input handling
completely unnecessary

What's wrong with xorg? Isn't it universal??

Compositor side, there is libinput, which does not use glib.
Client side, you don't need another library. It's part of the wayland protocol, so libwayland-client handles it.

New generation of libs and apps will take Linux into the future of beating windows and mac. Neo Vim, Wayland, Pulse Audio, QT, Systemd, Qemu, and dconf things are getting better and better.

>apps
>linux
No, kys

you can if you have a pass or a way to get past the captcha, i've done it several times with elinks

libinput is based on glib-using libraries

because it's yet another piece of shit unix atrocity
read the unix-haters handbook chapter on x

libwacom does, but that is an optional dependency.

The X parts were written by a butthurt NeWS author.
And I wouldn't mind something like NeWS or Quartz replacing X.

his butthurt was 100% justified

His software might have been adopted if it wasn't proprietary.

>new generation of libs
>systemd
kek

I say this BECAUSE I've been using Linux for years. I remember when the stable and mature GNOME 2 and KDE 3.5 were thrown aside for memery, and they gave all the same excuses that Wayland defenders give.