/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Seach 'Intel')

====

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

silentpcreview.com/article29-page2.html
pcpartpicker.com/user/coolinepic/saved/c4BvVn
pcpartpicker.com/user/coolinepic/saved/7YJyf7
pcpartpicker.com/product/CZV48d/sennheiser-headphones-hd558
gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/assassin-s-creed-origins-test-gpu-cpu
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816067
pcpartpicker.com/list/FkrgkT
amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional/dp/B012R0GTDM/
pcpartpicker.com/list/BDJdKZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are higher efficiency PSUs worth it?

What should I use an SSD for?
Should I go m.2?

>>G4560/G4600

Bronze is the value for money sweetspot
M.2 is not worth the extra cost at this point in time, afaik

So what should I use the SSD itself for? I know it is suppose to be for OS and the main programs I might run, but I don't understand the logic behind it. You are not suppose to constantly overwrite stuff on it right? Then isn't it bad for temp files to be on it?
How much life does a well treated SSD have?

Depends on pricing. After 80+ Bronze you're hitting diminishing returns

m.2 is only an extra $10 on the 250GB 860 EVO, so why not? Better form factor than SATA

Most of the problems you're describing have been fixed, and the logic is that you can read information off the drive so much faster than on a HDD, so OS and games load almost instantly

Are we finally seeing the end of the buttcoin craze?

1070 is much more efficient at mining

>m.2 is only an extra $10 on the 250GB 860 EVO, so why not? Better form factor than SATA
I am looking at what is available here and the Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 2280 MZ-N5E250BW is just slightly cheaper than the Samsung 850 EVO Basic 2.5" 250GB SATA3 MZ-75E250B/EU, but the recording speed of the m.2 one is also slightly smaller.

1070 TI with a decent cooler and probably a good amount of potential in terms of OC or the cheapest 1080 with a not so great cooler and lackluster temps?

1060 6GB, 8GB 580, 1070 or 1070 Ti for 60Hz/1080p?

writing speed*

How much noise does a 7200rpm vs 5400rpm 2.5" drive make?

I'm wanting to get one for my bulk storage alongside my ssd, and my 3.5" 5400 is enough to drive me up a wall.

RAM prices say otherwise. people who purchased RAM back in July are lucky bastards

1070 ti is cheaper and overclocked beats stock 1080.

1060 is already choking when it comes to games like AC:O so I'd go for a 1070 if you have the extra dough to spend. 1060 is a good choice too, though.

silentpcreview.com/article29-page2.html

Isn't 250 too little though? I mean you can fit system and 3-4 games that's not much

Taking a step back to the first page of that article, and looking at the 5400/7200 tables makes it clear 5400 is the first safe pick.

How would I go about shopping for internal 2.5" mounts? The suggestions at the bottom are 5.25"/external solutions.

Current build: pcpartpicker.com/user/coolinepic/saved/c4BvVn (based on samsung 1080p 60hz monitor)
pcpartpicker.com/user/coolinepic/saved/7YJyf7 (upgrades)

Any suggestions? I won't be doing too intensive games.

>$30 headset
It's gonna be fucking trash don't bother. Just buy some cheap mic and it's gonna be 10 times better.

Is 390x still a viable good choice in 2017+? I'm thinking of upgrading into 1070...

yeah
ask /hpg/ for the pic of the 3 dollar poor man's modmic (which still sounds really good)

you don't need to upgrade to a 144hz monitor if you're going for the GTX 1060. and refresh rate higher than 60hz only mattes if you're playing FPS like CS:GO competitively. use that money to buy these instead of those trashy headphones
pcpartpicker.com/product/CZV48d/sennheiser-headphones-hd558

>and refresh rate higher than 60hz only mattes if you're playing FPS like CS:GO competitively
fucking blind audiophiles I bet you also listen to everything in flac.

Most games run great at 1080p with a GTX 1060.

RAM prices have almost nothing to do with mining. It's about supply, and Samsung just decided to open up new fabs

I use a 120GB, which is definitely too small. Pretty hard to fit even one more game after 70GB is taken up by the OS + R6:S. But I would think that a 250GB would suit me well, since I don't have more than 3-4 games installed at once. (Right now, Siege, Evil Within, Stick of Truth, + a few indies. Would easily fit on 240GB.)

512GB SSDs are the best GB/$ though

Looks good. Obviously you'll be selling the 1050Ti? Consider the monitor in the OP pcpartpicker

Pretty hot, so I can see why you'd want to upgrade. If you're at 1080p the 390X is still good though

>Pretty hot, so I can see why you'd want to upgrade. If you're at 1080p the 390X is still good though
Damn you're on point in this one lol

is this because if the 6gb of vram? How does the 580 8gb compare?

Is the Vega 56 worth buying, there’s one going for msrp

What difference in performance is there in a 3GB vs a 6GB GTX 1060? Could a FX-8120 handle either one?
What is the difference between the SC and Single Fan versions?

Best cheap mouse? Not interested in dropping over 20 bucks on one if I can avoid it.

You can see some stats here
gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/assassin-s-creed-origins-test-gpu-cpu
Keep in mind the bechmarks are at Ultra

I'll be playing AC:O at a silky smooth, locked 30FPS with a god damn 360 controller and a joint

I would say it's worth it but I'm returning mine and waiting for volta. It wasn't that much of an upgrade I expected.

Its a little more than $20, but
i'm using one and its pretty good:newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816067

>I'll be playing AC:O
If I even get around to playing it anytime soon

Depends on whether you have Freesync monitor, probably

What was your old card

r9 380x

hey that looks pretty good

If you were at 1440p you'd definitely notice a difference. Vega aren't really 1080p cards

Yeah sure I could play 1440p and even some games at 4k which looks really good, but it's louder and much hotter also way more expensive than 380x was at launch. It's not a bad card but after buying it I know to either wait for volta or non reference coolers whichever comes first. tbf at this point I think volta is gonna be out sooner.

Power supplies are one of the only things in a build you do no need to replace ever unless it fails. Thus why i got a supernova platinum, modular and should last a long time. I think its a good idea to not cheap out on them. Also over time it should play for itself since it uses 10% less power

>i5 8400 in stock
>go to vendor
>out of stock
FUCK SAKE NOT AGAIN

Should have bought it in the first week like me, an intellectual

there was no first week here. Its always been pre-order (payment upfront) or you don't get one

>he fell for the "waiting for volta" meme
Vega barely changes anything. Nvidia could probably still milk Pascal for another year and get away with it. I think we won't see Volta for atleast another 5-7 months.

Is there anything I should
>JUST WAIT
for in the next 3 months?

Zen+, cheap coffelake mobo, custom Vega(?) .

>Zen+
Is it coming that soon? I thought more like late Q2 next year
>cheap mobos
Good call
>custom Vega
REALLY don't think its gonna happen at this point

Zen+ is rumored to be released in march and Volta is soon (?)

No

You can get Ryzen with normally priced mobos. There's good stuff for every price range right now.

>Volta for atleast another 5-7 months
That's not really that much and if it proves to be as good as volta is better than pascal then waiting would be well worth it.

>REALLY don't think its gonna happen at this point
xfx just teased custom vega. No release date but if they already announced it we can at least expect it at some point.

Building a HTPC/download server
need 4k@60hz/fps HEVC

What is the cheapest option that ISN'T a SBC?
Are there integrated graphics that will do this?
In that case, how can I be certain there is full support for HDMI2.0?

Any guides on this subject?

The difference where I am is only about $40 and I'd rather pay that for the better performance of the i5 atm. That said I won't be building for at least another month or 2 - hence the post.
wow. for what its worth that looks like dogshit. WOULD buy the gigabyte/asus versions though and save on freesync

>looks like dogshit
How often do you look inside your pc? Maybe it's just me but it could have fucking ponies on it and I wouldn't care as long as it's good.

honestly I will be looking very often as this will be my first desktop in almost 9 years. I'll be in love the moment I open the boxes

then tbf buy reference vega it's hot and loud but it looks really sexy.

I'm building my PC to be reasonably quiet (good airflow). I'd rather pay a little more for the asus version for example which still looks alright but doesn't sound like a jet engine

Do I need a cpu cooler for an i5 8400? It'll be run pretty intensively but on pc part picker it doesn't have a warning for not having a cpu fan with it.

pcpartpicker.com/list/FkrgkT
list for reference

Stock is fine

it works but its loud

Three options:
1. Craigslist evga 1080 sc for $420
2. Craigslist evga 1080ti for $620 (used for mining)
3. Microcenter openbox evga 1080 classified for $540

I have never had problems with evga, so these are my gpu options. Thoughts?

>used for mining
"no"

Ok so options are either 1 or 3. Keep in mind, craigslist is exempt from taxes, and the 1080 classified is $540 after taxes.

between those two I'd go for the one that will be the least hassle in returning if anything is wrong with it

Hey guys. I need a monitor. Seems like I have to sacrifice some things if I want a monitor that is the best for FPS gaymen. Don’t care, really.

What monitor has the lowest input lag, response time, and highest refresh rate?
Should I just wait for HDR panels to come out?
Should I upgrade to a 1080ti? (I have a 1080)

pls

So the open box? Isint it hard to justify a $120 price increase for a "classy" red colour gpu?

If you have a 1080 get one of the 1440p models in the OP pcpartpicker

Generally a few percentage points different although there are exceptions (where any 3 or 4GB card will have trouble).

Yes the FX 8120 (hopefully OC'd) can handle one, but there will be a few games with limitations.

Could this be used to install 7 onto a fresh mobo?
amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional/dp/B012R0GTDM/

Up to you my man. I'd ask is it worth $120 to avoid a potentially broken 2nd hand card and $400+ down the drain

pcpartpicker.com/list/BDJdKZ
A friend wanted to build a computer with RGB LEDs and 1080p60fps gaming. How is this? The LEDs aren't overdone are they?
And after I buy the parts for him, I'm thinking about removing the RGB-centric parts from the build and changing some of the parts around for myself so I can play Battlefront 2 when it drops. How long will a 1070 and 1600 last me?

>getting 1650mhz on 1100mv on vega 56
I think first time in my life I got lucky.

The Samsung one looks nice. Thanks! Might have to upgrade to a to, though.

I've never overclocked before, does it hurt the lifespan of my CPU? Should I still do it if the CPU is already kind of old?

6gb is a lot better when playing newer games. like, significantly better. dual fan gives a minimal cooling increase, but nothing i'd pay more than $15 for.

>looking up custom Vega cards
>articles and forum threads from jul-sep
>all saying september release
>its now november and nothing
ah yes

Daily reminder that Covfefe Lake is DOA.
>b-b-but muh EFF PEE ESS
>b-b-but muh SINGLE COAR SPEEDZ
>b-b-but muh 5Ghz!
Stop wallowing in the mud with the other shills and get a 1600. Your whole world is going to change.

Based on the monitor you picked you mean 1080p 144fps right?
850W is overkill.

Yeah, you're right. Also the reason it isn't a G-Sync monitor is because the 1080p144hz G-Sync monitors are way too expensive.
I went for the 850w because the 650w had only a few cents difference, but I'll downgrade it anyway.

>does it hurt the lifespan of my CPU
Not if it's done properly, but that CPU's lifespan is almost up

Will a Skylake i5 still do in (late) 2017? Probably should rather put my money towards a new GPU, huh (R9 390 currently)

>will a Skylake i5
No.
Just buy Ryzen.

How bad can you cut corners on a low quality gaming build? I did a mock i3 build with a $50 mobo, no HDD, and a 1050 ti for $600, can you do it cheaper?

Nice shitpost, retard

Nice shillpost, pajeet.
I bet you unironically bought a Coffin Lake processor too.

your argument is literally
>b-but my objectively better gaming performance
and you think this makes them look bad?

Always depends on what games you're going to want to play. League of Legends runs just fine on Intel Graphics 530 at really high framerates. I'd imagine CS:GO and OW will be absolutely playable with something like a 1030.

Is AMD still a meme? Last time I was on Sup Forums was 2009-2011, Phenom II's got destroyed by Sandy Bridge then Bulldozer came out and was underwhelming.

Not at all, Ryzen CPUs are very good in multi-threaded applications.

Don't think I could really go lower than a 1050 ti without a 50% price cut in the card i'm buying. It's weeks off anyway. I've been trying to game on a 2011 laptop with a Sandy Bridge i5 in it and no graphics and i'm pretty much dying.

Ryzen 1600 is a great alternative with solid price/performance and arguably better than its competition for many different tasks. i5 8400 however is undeniably the better performer for gaming.

Ryzen is such a great meme Sup Forumsents are shilling it for free.

You can rma the used one if you every have problems, which i imagine you wont be gpus almost never break

I understand the price/performance argument but how would you compare it to back when a Phenom II was like $120 vs the current i5 being $240?

Can AMD run emulators good these days like PCSX2/Dolphin or even Cemu?

Yes it does. Ignoring the fact that gamers are literal cancer, even if Intel processors had "objectively" better gaming performance, it's only what? 10fps better? Even if Intel is better at gaming its not by much.
>wow! 10fps and shitty everything else for $200 more! Thanks Intel!

Cemu for ryzen is not ideal by any means, it runs on 1 thread

man the i5 8400 is out of stock everywhere

You're good on CPU + graphics card right now

No reason to upgrade from a Skylake i5 right now, retard.

Yes, we can. Check OP pcpartpicker
And I know you're talking about the old i3s, which are defunct

AMD has some nice products, RX 570 & 580 and the Ryzen CPUs

>Can AMD run emulators good these days
Decent, not amazing. Emulators are pretty demanding, relatively speaking