Color schemes and fonts in editors/terminal

Many of us spend hours upon hours looking at editor or terminal screens while working, or at least doing light editing or maintenance on our systems. So with that comes the question - what are your favorite color schemes and fonts to be staring at for hours on end?

No, this is not an ebin desktop rice thread, just a simple color scheme and font recommendations thread.

I'll start with mine - I've really liked gruvbox-light and Inconsolata-g lately. Pic related is gruvbox

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM
tmtheme-editor.herokuapp.com/#!/editor/url/https://github.com/metaleap/syntax-tmthemes/raw/master/metaleapLite.tmTheme
tmtheme-editor.herokuapp.com/#!/editor/url/https://github.com/metaleap/syntax-tmthemes/raw/master/metaleapDark.tmTheme
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's called "all black" but it looks like monokai. I like it

pretty clear, I like it

default terminal colors, i don't know what this scheme is called, but I like it

Can't take a pic, but I love solarized light with fira code.

I call it

"the default xterm colors but with a black background"
or
"i have given up"

Inconsolata-g > Inconsolata

The default VS Code colorscheme. I find it clear enough and easy on the eyes?

There's something I really dislike about pure black backgrounds, it brings back feelings of fear from playing old DOS games as a kid way back then

I came

where can i find this for st3 :O

That is some disgusting bash. Plus it's obvious that chunks were copy-pasted from stackoverflow.

what do you mean?

You aint seen nothin yet.

>This used to use a third file to rank commands by most used

>Inconsolata-g
>the g is the same
what did he mean by this

Thanks for this OP, I love this scheme, will get tomorrow.

what language is that?

The 0, 1 and l characters are different as far as I can notice.
Inconsolata-g is just the name of the font.

I just gave up and roll with solarized light, but yours looks nice too, might give her the ol' whirl

Also straight quote marks, and thicker commas and dots. And better distinction between 1 and l

Ocaml

And odd kerning between 9 and 1

kerning?

I mean 9 and 0

the 0 looks too close to the 9, but that might be because it's next to 1. Still, the kerning of the numbers on the left seems a lot better.

Not really a fan of heavy colour contrast on syntax highlighting (find it distracting imo) so this has been my goto for a while now. It's boxy + soda for sublime with fira code for the font.

I'm impressed

What plugins are you using for vim?

Contrast is the entire point of syntax highlighting as it allows you to skim over and parse text by looking at the colors instead of having to read all of it.

That's not my vim, it's just a screenshot example from the gruvbox github

That said, I recommend you check this out youtube.com/watch?v=XA2WjJbmmoM

Found it on some site with VS themes.

>inb4 windows
>inb4 C#/ASP.net
Unfortunately I have a job.

Nobody's criticizing Windows-friends here user, don't be so self-conscious

Thank you user.

In that case, I'd like to mention that, for what it is, VS 2017 is actually a very nice IDE. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of C# or ASP.NET, but if you have to write it, it's certainly a nice environment to do so.
It is pretty heavy, though. I'm using a fairly low end machine (work doesn't want to buy me a new one) and it hangs every now and then. But when it's working, it works well.
Also it's quite pretty.

Are you actually parsing the code by its colors? How's that work? You think "hmmm, I'm looking for an if statement, color of which is blue, so where's that fucking blue... hmmm.. oh yes, here it is." What happens if you change the color scheme? Do you have to retrain your parser then?

Be gentle, I'm retarded and color blind, so...

Not that user, but syntax highlighting, for me at least, makes a huge difference.
It's not so much the colours themselves, but more just the fact that they are different colours.
But no, it's not a conscious thing. It's more of an instinctual thing. I don't notice it, besides just thinking it's cute, but I miss it a lot when it's not there. (for example if I'm editing some shitty php file in notepad)

I don't care. Pretty colors and nice fonts wont make my code better, and it wont make me better as producing it.

It just helps me read source code faster. You know where a type ends/starts etc. Also when you make a typo and something everything/nothing is highlighted you know you fucked up.

The whole point is to have an environment that you're comfortable working in. Comfortable means different things to different people. :~)

This too. When I'm referencing, say, a class and it goes green, I know I typed the name correctly and that the IDE isn't gonna throw a fit when I try to reference, for example, a static class.

static method, I meant :s

not until they fix that pig disgusting `t`

I'm actually not sure whether I prefer the light variant or the dark variant of gruvbox, both look super nice and comfy

Why are my colors fucked up and ugly when I use it?

what's wrong with it?

Set your terminal/vim to use true colour

VSCode at work because I'm a professional webshit, acme at home. Both look the same. I definitely prefer light colors.

damn, how do you work without any syntax highlighting at all?

how does anyone do any editing on light colorschemes

anyway, i think this is one of the defaults, koehler

I used to use only dark color schemes, now I'm mixing it up with light ones and I kinda dig it.

Maybe it's that it meshes better with my surroundings in my room better, I dunno.

>Those mixins for no reason
I love D too but come on now m8

I've noticed neckbeards always use dark themes and chad programmers use light

So I shaved my neckbeard off, that's what you're saying?

At my company the largest and heaviest neckbeard uses a light scheme in emacs.
Theory disproven, time to kys.

I've always been curious about this, why is that out of all things, having hair on your neck is what stereotypes 'that kinda guy'? Why neckbears? Why not moustaches or something

probably something about a neckbeard comes from being unkempt like an isolated nerd

I haven't used it for a long time, used to it. I also think it helps me to better understand my code but that could just be placebo

I've found light color schemes, combined with lowered screen brightness, to be easier on the eyes since I'm programming 9 - 5.

surface level neckbeard isn't a real neckbeard

>Not really a fan of heavy colour contrast on syntax highlighting
Same, mine:

tmtheme-editor.herokuapp.com/#!/editor/url/https://github.com/metaleap/syntax-tmthemes/raw/master/metaleapLite.tmTheme

tmtheme-editor.herokuapp.com/#!/editor/url/https://github.com/metaleap/syntax-tmthemes/raw/master/metaleapDark.tmTheme

Every other week or so I feel an urge to switch from dark to lite or vice versa. Probably a need for the occasional change.

>since I'm programming 9 - 5.
translation: i'm not interested in programming but do webdev shit and other entry level "programming" for the money

>how does anyone do any editing on light colorschemes
I too switch back & forth. Dark with bright screen is best for day time, light with dimmed screen best for night time.

Also going by feel and task-at-hand. If "clear thinking" and "clean conceptualizations" are needed, light. If hyper-productive rodeo-coding and churning out semi-boilerplate, nigh-trivial stuff --- music on and dark theme.

I've tried using light schemes many times but i just lose all focus when i use them.

Yes, webbev 9-5. I don't do anything for contract. All my personal projects are lower-level... but I don't mind working on a wide variety of things.

Cheers, keep on programming.

>dark themes are only for trivial code

Depends on the machine I'm using. From my netbook, I use tiny bitmap fonts, usually artwiz cure or lemon. On my main laptop (desktop replacement ideapad) I use Noto Sans Mono, mostly because I use Noto Sans UI for my DE and Noto Serif for rich text editing. On my phone I use whatever the default is for termux.

As for color schemes, I use one I made for myself that's heavier on warmer colors, i.e. white has a slight orange tint, etc to reduce eye strain. On my phone, again, is the termux default but with the Android "live display" feature set to night mode to adjust the whole display to warmer tones.

Something Notepad++ Obsidian like

Can you post your custom theme?

bump

>I haven't used it for a long time, used to it. I also think it helps me to better understand my code but that could just be placebo

Yep, me too. I've been using eink theme for a while now, and I like it, it's less pretty but also a lot less distracting. Still, I base my opinion on my feels, and we know those can't be trusted.
I wish somebody made an actual study on this shit so we'd be at least a little bit closer to 'the right way'.

Bump for interest

base16-eighties