>Have Microcenter credit card
>AMD FX 8320E Black Edition Vishera 3.2 GHz 8 Core AM3+
$40.00 after rebate
>ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/Aura AM3+ ATX AMD Motherboard
Open box for $70 and $30 off after bundled with CPU so lol $40.00 MOBO
>Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler
$30.00 after rebate?
Total damage: $110.00 after rebates
How bad is the FX by AMD? I know there is no upgrade path, but for 8 cores and overclocked to 4.0GHZ do I really need a Ryzen?

Throw in some DDR3-1866 16GB for $150
Modular Power supply for around $80.00
I've got the Coolermaster HAF 914 for $40.00
Right there without GPU is a good rig for less than $400.00

Just have to bite the bullet on an SSD and a GPU. What do you think Sup Forumsents? Do we have a good deal here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/t_Zrc6yJLpo?t=2m40s
pcpartpicker.com/list/9ndhVY
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you have to OC them to make them worthwhile

So I OC. How long is the CPU going to last then?
Will this have enough power to run games at 1080p?

>Will this have enough power to run games at 1080p?

yes, unless you trying to game at 250fps

If I can run an MMO at 80FPS we are ok then?

new or old
old mmo is single core, it will run bad

$110 for the 8350 isn't a bad deal. Just don't have unrealistic expectations about overclockability. New ones don't oc as well as they used to due to binning.

I'm still running on an FX-8320 for another week or so. It's still solid. I'll probably pass it on to someone else once I'm done my current build.

>It needs to run the following games at 1080p/60fps
Wow Private servers/Classic
Skyrim
STALKER
EVE
Elite Dangerous
Dark Souls

You're good dog.

>Microcenter
fuking love microcenter

Please get ryzen, it's a waste to buy am3
If you get ryzen you still get socket support for zen+
You can build an r 12/1300 system for not much more maybe even the same price

Fuck no op. Not fucking worth it. Elite dangerous especially will make that chip shit itself.

Try to play anything unoptimized or cpu demanding like a lot of multi-player games and you'll regret this purchase. This cpu is a boiling piece of shit for gaming.

Lolno. Avoid like the plague.

Considering that locking yourself out of upgrades is no issue for you, why not buy like an HP workstation with a decent I7. Newegg has them for 400-500 now, and you get the case too.

It will be better.

Do it

Alright! You win, fuck this build. I'll either go Ryzen 5 or an i5. It's not worth it.

Thank Anons, glad I took the time to ask.

WoW and dark souls too. Just couldn't keep 60 fps on dark souls in a lot of places like undead burg with this trash cpu.

Lol this is BS. Dark Souls runs fine even on the shitty FX processors.

I was in the same boat as you, I wanted an 8350 - built an r5 1600 and am so glad I didn't go with fx

Get Ryzen you silly goose.

A few years back on black Friday I got the FX 8320 and a Mobo for $99 from Microcenter. It still kicks ass IMO. If you look at that CPU benchmarking site (passmark I think), the 8320 and 8350 are still to this day the best value CPUs on the market (performance vs price), and it ain't even close.

I think you got a great deal.

I mean if you plan on playing only games from before 2014, that's probably alright but don't then go and get a GTX 1080 and expect to get the most out of it.

An 8320E at 4GHz is about the same as a R5 1400 at 2GHz. The old chips are nowhere near as powerful.

I'm all for throwing AMD muh shekels from time to time, but the FX is just trash. A goddamn i3 or even a dual-core Pentium give those things a beatdown in a lot of workloads, and you can buy them with change you find between your couch cushions.

You're good OP. I have an 8320 and been using it for about 2 years now. I play DS and Skyrim. My rig handles FO4, DS3, GTA5, Doom, as well as several other fairly new games and it handles all of those well. However, I would hold out a while longer for the prices to dip on the Ryzen chips.

If you are impatient and wanted to buy it now, you wont be disappointed with the buy.

Been running an FX-8320 @4.2ghz on a 970A 8gb ddr3 and a rx480 4gb for a bit now.

It will max all those games fine I have no issue keeping 60fps in ED on max settings.
Shit I don't even have an issue playing Total Warhammer on high the limit there being 8gb of ram.

Only shit games like DCS ARMA have real issues with the FX CPU, as a bonus it will keep your room warm in the winter.

Get Ryzen and build a hackintosh. Look up the compatible specs online

MicroCenter regularly runs deals on Ryzen CPUs + $50 off motherboards. It's more worthwhile to buy an R3 1200 and a cheaper board than an FX. You can OC the 1200 on the stock cooler and it'll match/beat an 8320E in games, plus you get an upgrade path and other niceties that come with a newer motherboard.

I have an FX-8320 from at least 3 years ago that has been overclocked on and off to 4.2Ghz and its still running strong in my home server which I regularly compile things on.

Nope I have the fx 6300 and at 1080p it is perfectly fine for gaming

I run BF4 at 1200p on phenom x4.

just get a ryzen. even the r3 1200 is faster than the 8370.

fx was nicknamed faildozer for a very good reason. it was slower than amd's own previous phenom generation clock for clock.

You'll be fine OCing it, keep an eye on your Temps. As long as you get an 8 phase or better mobo you'll be gold. Be sure to get a big ass heatsink.

>fx was nicknamed faildozer for a very good reason. it was slower than amd's own previous phenom generation clock for clock.

luckily this doesn't mean shit

8320 and I can't even fucking get 60fps in Runescape in resizable. Pretty awful.

I mean runescape is coded like shit by teenagers. But still.

>DDR3-1866 16GB for $150
bitch what

this.... fucking FX8350 holds me back and im forced to go 4k so everything is pushed to the GPU

Do not buy a fucking FX chip, especially with 2018 almost beginning.

You're better off buying a budget B350 board and buying an R3 1200 which would outperform any old FX CPU by miles.

that's 1600MHz you absolute tard

there's a reason fx chips are so cheap (hint: it's because they're fucking shit)

I found a 6300 with a 970 motherboard in 2013 for 80€.
Seeing you buy it for that amount now, STOP.

FX-6350 at 4.5GHz.
A RX 480.
Playing at 1080p with ultra/high graphics, every new games just plays fine at 60FPS.
Witcher 3, GTA V, Battlefield 1, Doom, Hitman. Etc.

>BF1
>poodriver
>60 fps
yeah right, my 4690k is fucking pegged in that piece of shit game and its also at 4.5 ghz.

screencaps with temps or you're full of shit

Dude, if 1080 is what you're after, it'll be plenty. My desktop has a FX4300 and it runs pretty much any game I throw at it at passable settings (medium-high) at 1080p, and cranked all the way up at 720p. And that's with a shitty ancient 2GB DDR3 6670

It all comes down to whether you're willing to settle for high settings at a lower resolution or lower settings at a higher resolution. It won't play AAA titles at 1080p on ultra, but for a budget build it'll get you gaming. I would personally save the money and go with a slightly older i5 and a 1080ti but that's just me.

1050ti I mean lol. Silly me.

literally any ryzen is better, or any 4 core intel 1155 or up.
$260 for some outdated shit that wasnt up to par on launch
R3 1200, 8gb ram and a cheap b350 is a better plan for the same money.

There's a completely separate reason why you might want an AMD FX-xxxx series CPU: They were the last decent CPUs manufactured without hardware backdoors. Granted the Ryzen backdoor isn't as bad as Intel's. But if you care about security, an FX-8350 or FX-8320 is a good purchase.

Note that in this thread, the people who actually own and use FX cpu's are reporting that they work great, while the people who 'heard about how bad they are' are just larping and parroting.

Frostbite is one of those games that actually scales really well to multiple cores.

I get great performance on my 8350 @ 4.2.

Did you even read the fucking op? $110.00 is a good deal dude.

it would be if you had some ddr3 already. Did you read
>Throw in some DDR3-1866 16GB for $150
$260 is a lot for a platform that will dip to 30fps or below in most modern games even when oc'd to the max.
youtu.be/t_Zrc6yJLpo?t=2m40s
here you can see about the max performance of any fx 8XXX series in a stock 9590. Bottlenecking a 1060 and stuttering away, because the architecture is no good for games.

Sup Forums is full of gamer babies that thrive on hyperbole. It's a lot of performance for a Benjamin. It's old hardware, so what, the price reflects it. If OP wanted to spend more for Ryzen, he could.

Also, Elite Dangerous and anything Frostbite LOVE LOVE LOVE cores. Can confirm my 8320 @ 4.5 loved it. pic related

This benchmark is pointless dude. GPU & CPU both pegged at 100% the whole time, what does that tell anyone?

>dip to 30fps
the 8350 is a perfectly capable processor at 1080p60. Maybe you have to turn your graphics from ultra to high, ohh no.

>buying brandnew depreciated hardware
wtf is wrong people. its okay if you bought second hand

cpu: $40
mobo: $40
hsf: $30
ram: $150
psu: $80
case: $40
total: $380

You nuts?
heres a modern system for $10, at $400 you could prob do a combo with 3000/3200mhz ram
pcpartpicker.com/list/9ndhVY
>buying a new fx in 2017

Those are more than 4 core with HT at best.

>more LIKE

I recently jumped from a fx8320 to a Ryzen 7 1700. The difference is night and day.
Planning to put the old cpu and mobo on another case so I can sell it to a friend of my mother. I'm only worried that the lady's kids will not take good care of it and over heat it.

>how bad is vishera
not bad, not good either. more than enough to run modern system properly, less than enough to have 144fps in vidya to display on your theoretical racing vidya monitor. it's still enough to use today, it might not be enough next year. Also, 970 chipset won't allow you to get your 8320 over 4.2 GHz, so keep that in mind.

i'd aim for ryzen or some intel, heard intels even come bundled with OS in cpu so that's also nice addition. but if you want to get nice poorfag box, i guess 8320 would do. I use [email protected] today and i still can't convince myself to upgrade.

me too, got the 1700X to 4 GHz. Gonna be taking the FX, putting it in an old case, delivering it to my bro for his first gaming pc. It's gonna be magical!

Everything easy, except maybe Elite Dangerous.

Shoot.

The 1200 is the same price as his entire list. But it would be quite a bit better when overclocked.

>fx was nicknamed faildozer for a very good reason
Good trhing the 8370 isnt 'faildozer'

>Tfw built x5650 xeon + gtx 970 system for nephew's first pc
I may have spoiled him if he didn't still predominantly play on his consoles. He's fully aware of how much better it is than his xbone though, just thinks it's too much of a hassle to play multi-player with his friends on forza horizon 3.

>not buying kids weak ass computers so they can become social outcasts like you once were, playing cool old vidya instead of csgo or pubg or whatever is played with friends nowadays
>not secretly keeping your younglings on the path to q3a mastery
it's like you don't even like the brat

What's with the "Local" work I keep seeing in these pictures? Isn't everyone local to their location?

Wow is dogshit dual core optimized. A 4770k clocked at 4.6ghz with a 1080ti and the game still ran like shit in cities where there are a ton of people. The GPU is barely used.

Re-check your delusions.
Must be tough being a fanboy of another company and seeing that old hardware from the opposing company still holds up great.

I don't build shit systems what can I say? He mostly just plays racing games anyways. All I know he uses the computer for is forza single player. Originally he was only going to get a 7950 for the gpu, but a friend gave me a 970 do he got that. 3.84ghz cpu, ~1900mt/s 12gb triple channel ram, and a gtx 970 that easily hits 1475 mhz on core. It's pretty nice to be honest. Single threading is only barely better than a 4.5ghz fx 8300 desu. But multithreading us way better. I got it all super cheap, mostly parts I had laying around, mobo was $30. Gpu was $30, cpu was mine before I replaced it. Ram was also something I had laying around in a box, psu was the most expensive thing I put in there at $80 for an fsp hydro g 650w.

I forced him at a young age to learn racing games without any assists, so I think I'm doing alright by him.

$400 for no upgrade path is kind of pointless. You're paying for a dead end. You'd be better off getting literally anything you can upgrade because at least then it would be an investment.

>investment
Computers are like cars. It's a cost center. Telling yourself otherwise is pure delusion.

And I don't see a great upgrade path on Ryzen atm. With PCIe4.0 right over the hill any motherboard you buy now may well be irrelevant in a 4 year upgrade cycle. MAYBE you'll get away with reusing the RAM. Everything else, PSU, case, and drives, will all largely still be supported, regardless.

Still a better upgrade path than Intel though..

I recently bought used a 8320 non e for 70 euro on ebay to upgrade my phenom, overclocked it to 4.3, it scores more than 600 on cinebench and is a joy to use when all threads are 100%. not to hot either. Save spending more than a 1000 euro for a ryzen or threadripper system, best investment ever.
go for it.
P.s not a gamer.

FX cpus all suck for gameing, single threaded games really take a hit. Try to play some of your classic games such as UT 99 on one and watch performance bounce all over. I know, I tried it, switched a Phenom II out for one, left everything else the same. Sucked ass, went back to Phenom II, everything was back to normal. Finally used the FX in a new Server build, FX shines in it.

get this nigga I moved [email protected] to ryzen 1600 difference is huge I didn't even oc the cpu yet, in bf4 I was getting dips around 50-60 it's stable 100fps now.

>those memory prices
Fucking asian jews, man.

Wow private servers are no problem,
WoW Classic won't run well on that CPU.

i think he meant 2x8 1866

A little related. have an FX8350 and a GTX 760, I have $250 to upgrade. CPU or GPU?

get the ddr3 ram from another source, or used
that price is worse than ddr4, like wtf are you doing

Or.

You could save your money for a bit longer and do a ryzen r 5 1400 build for a decent price.

I just did one for a friend that topped out around 1600 with an MSI 1070 gpu and 32 gig of ram, a 512 gig ssd (good samsung black also) and a 3 tb HDD. OC'd to 3.7 on stock cooling (we used aftermarket thermal paste though and cleaned the stock stuff off before applying). Doesn't get over 54C

We made out pretty dang good I'd say.

Save your money get something proper.

you can barely run a "modern" browser with 8gb ram

u w8 m8

Couldn't pay me to use amd CPUs pre ryzen

Phenom was ok

It's not bad for the money. Make sure you don't Jew too much in the motherboard as you're going to require something with at least an 8+2 VRM section to handle a mild OC for the long term. Just a friendly heads up with pre-ryzen chips
>Don't exceed at absolute maximum 1.55v CPU core voltage
>Keep load temps under 62C at an absolute Max if you want the chip to live long

Do those and it'll serve you well. My fx-9370 @ 5.4ghz was nice. I'd still recommend buying Ryzen if you could though.

Ran an early 8320 for years at 4.4ghz with an aio cooler.
Did pretty well desu, certainly wouldn't complain.
But almost in 2018? No chance.

Yeah uh eat shit, I had an 8350 and it was...well for the price this guy is paying it'd be fair. Thing is they're so unbelievably fucking power hungry your cheap shit motherboard will absolutely NOT overclock worth a fuck. You can have liquid nitrogen on the CPU itself but your VRMs will be a molten pile of slag and that will be what fucks you in the ass. Having said that, my 8350 is now running at stock and is my media server--Bulldozer's pathetic core performance is still good enough when multiplied by 8 to transcode video for plex.

It's a dead platform. However at that price it is quite a good offer. I just paid half of that to get a lowly c2q 6700 wi9th measly 8 gigs of memory for my kid. If I could double that money to get 4.5ghz machine, I would.

OC doesn't really lower life of CPU
it'll probably be the longest lasting unit in any PC these days

>non Ryzen AMD CPU

It's trash, don't bother
Literally even a Ryzen 1200 is better than anything prior