/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Space Edition
---
Previous Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Check libreboot.org for details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0

T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet

P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used ThinkPad Buyers Guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

New guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-core-i5-2-60Ghz-4GB-RAM-160GB-HDD/253262790390?epid=118218094&hash=item3af7a37ef6:g:wHMAAOSw8axaDfNU
businesswire.com/news/home/20120508006789/en/ThinkPad-Laptop-USB-3.0-Dock-Enabled-DisplayLink
amazon.com/Nimitz-Drive-Caddy-Lenovo-Thinkpad/dp/B00NAMU8NO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510886482&sr=8-1&keywords=nimitz 2nd hdd ssd hard drive caddy for lenovo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Has anyone pulled off the keyboard mod on a w/t530? I know its theoretically possible but havent found any info on those models

should i bid on this t420. its currently at 40 dollars with 6 days left?

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T420-core-i5-2-60Ghz-4GB-RAM-160GB-HDD/253262790390?epid=118218094&hash=item3af7a37ef6:g:wHMAAOSw8axaDfNU

Third for kotpads.

what kind of laptop is this?

a thinkpad

theres an ad on letgo and they dont post any info

How much do they ask for it?

Negotiable

That's not a laptop, you idiots, it's a dock: businesswire.com/news/home/20120508006789/en/ThinkPad-Laptop-USB-3.0-Dock-Enabled-DisplayLink

I've dusted off my X220 recently and I finally took the plunge and ordered the Ultrabase and the mini dock (much prefer the mini dock, but it'd be nice if it had a drive slot).

However I'm having problems with it detecting my keyboard/usb devices when docked. Windows 7 scans them all (even if drivers have been installed/signed before). This kinda kills the use of it, as sometimes devices won't work at al and sometimes it'll take several minutes for them to finally kick in.

Is this just a win7 issue or something common with the lenovo docks? I like the concept but this is just a pain in the arse.

That's a dock you cuck.

thank you

Where do you guys buy 3rd party battery, keyboard, etc.?

Thats a dock, moron

I love my T440p. It just feels all-around great to use. I was initially a bit worried about lugging this thing around due to its size since my previous laptops were an X230 and some 10.1-in transformer book, but it's pretty much the same as carrying around a 500-600 page textbook (mine is equipped with a 6-cell). Easy.

I've done most of the upgrades, with the remaining being the i7 CPU. The i5's been enough for my uses so I don't see any reason to upgrade it yet. I'm still kinda debating on whether to go for the i7-4702MQ or i7-4810MQ..

thanks

Are there any screen upgrades for the T420? Recently installed a SSD and 8GB RAM but really not a fan of the screen.

>T570 doesn't have rubber coating
reeeee why is this acceptable

never going to try to replace a trackpad ever again

I've got a T440p coming on monday.
9-cell, 1600x900, i7 dual core.

Not sure if I want to upgrade to 1080p IPS, but I have ordered T450s trackpad for it.

What, why?
Do you not fully strip your laptops every year or so out of habit?

You can get a 1600x900 screen. It's a straight swap that takes maybe 10 minutes. There's a FHD mod out there that's rather complicated.

You need to replace the display cable if you do this, which can be complicated.

Finally got a second hand P50 with touch and Xeon CPU!!! BEST THING EVER™. Can anyone with this model (or maybe something in the same generation) test it with a DW1560 wifi card? As this beast have a Slot A M.2 NGFF so the Lelnovo equivalent to DW1560 wont work unless I cut it with something which i certainly will not do. All my thanks to the tester.

>rubber foot fell of my x200
>a SINGLE replacement foot is $10

>not buying 10+ lots of ThinkPad for parts from ebay

Now what

install gentoo

>T440

Gross. The T series died after T430s

aliexpress/ebay

The T440p is cool as fug, based temps.

nevermind i found it
superglued that shit before it falls off again,

Can someone post a link to the Bios Image Booru?

Is the x61s still useful? I mostly want this for meme-tier thinkpad bullshitery but it would be nice if I could do shit on it.

Is the thermal solution the same between dual and quad core? I know there are different parts for dGPU vs iGPU.

Also, anyone know If it's ok to install the dGPU part on the iGPU motherboard for extra thermal mass?

Anything with a core2duo or better can run modern Linux command line programs just fine. If you want WiFi, you just need to make sure it works with reasonably modern cards.

>Is the thermal solution the same between dual and quad core?
Yes it's the same, i'm using the iGPU version on my 4800MQ in that pic.

>anyone know If it's ok to install the dGPU part on the iGPU motherboard for extra thermal mass?
I remember some user did that, the difference was like 1 or 2 degrees for him on a quad core so i haven't bothered to do it.

I use my 61t with W10 ltsb and it's alright, it needs an SSD though.

is the 61s less powerful or is the battery just slimmer?

both the x61t and x61s use the same processors (L7300, L7500 or L7700) and have the same battery options (4 cell or 8 cell)

Could someone explain me the difference between the t440 and the t440p please ? Thanks

Has anyone with a t420 bought this caddy?
amazon.com/Nimitz-Drive-Caddy-Lenovo-Thinkpad/dp/B00NAMU8NO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510886482&sr=8-1&keywords=nimitz 2nd hdd ssd hard drive caddy for lenovo

half the reviews that mention the t420 say it doesn't fit

The T440p is socketed, the T440 is not

ultrabook soldered dual core pile of shit vs thicc socketed quad core pile of shit

T440p is the "high performace" version, and supports quad core CPU + dedicated GPU, as well as options for nice things like a1080p display.

Intel Ark says the 4800/4810MQ don't support 4K displays over HDMI, where the 4600M,4900MQ,4910MQ support up to 3840x2160@60Hz. Is this correct, or did Intel just omit those resolutions from the spec because they didn't test them in 2013, but they did test them in 2014.

>as well as options for nice things like a1080p display
Pretty much all the *40s have FHD displays, even the X240 and the T540p has a 3K IPS display option.

>Is this correct
No idea, i'm not leaving 1920x1080 anytime soon, specially when i'm always between 40-60cm away from the screen.

I have the t430 one it's perfect. Def better than the $5 generic ones. Although the blie indicator light might annoy you

Wait, what's the difference between t440 and t440s then ?

Thanks for the insight

T440s is a thinner, lighter T440 that had the option of shipping with 1080p IPS touchscreen not available on T440.

If you want good info on thinkpad models, just google "psref ", and you should get a link to the PDF from Lenovo. (platform specification reference)

psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad T440/ThinkPad_T440_Platform_Specifications.pdf

>tfw my t420 and all its upgrades get here on monday
Will post a detailed review.

The cheapest closes ThinkPad on craigslist is the Lenovo x230 for $120. Worth?

I am going to buy a refurbished thinkpad. Which one should I buy? I don't want it to be too heavy and I want an inexpensive one.

What do you guys think of the 25 Anniversary ThinkPad? Been out of these threads for a while, what's the general opinion? (and why)

Too expensive for effectively just a T470 with a special keyboard.
I'm just going to wait to see if the keyboards and bezels hit the surplus parts market (ebay, etc).

lads, im trying to get a laptop for my brother (in hs). im thinking about either t41 or t60. i want him to have IBM Experience™. (also he has gaming addiction issue, so low-powered machine would be better than x220 or whatnot). would t41 be too old? i want him to install gentoo, and learn how to program python, c and whatnot with vim.

Any computer with Linux is fine for MUH NO GAEMS.
Don't force him into Gentoo and Vim if he doesn't want to, they're not noob friendly. Kubuntu and Geany (or any GUI editor/IDE) are just fine to learn the basics before moving into more advanced stuff.

Don't place a bid until the last possible moment, or you will just drive the price up.

If you can't watch the ending minutes of the bid, you can place your bid in the last day/last hours

would you go for t41 or t60? i want that IBM logo for him.

Yes. When you can, get the palmrest and keyboard from an x220 as well.

Will a t420 handle a quad?

eh.. sure.. but the Lenovo machines are newer, and can be nicer to use for modern applications.

>The T series died after T430s

Can you elaborate?

Which generations of the X1 Carbons are worth getting?

[spoiler]any of them?[/spoiler]

And what am I losing/gaining vs if I went with a T4xx series?

I really wouldn't go older than core 2 duo, I ditched my t41 after I realized no modern OS would run on it (no pae, no execute bit) , and having more than 4 chrome tabs would freeze the machine running windows 7

First gen was OK, 1080p IPS screen not too bad.
Second had a shit keyboard.
Third was great, and Fourth better.
Fifth is fucking incredible.

Have an edit I made a long time ago.

So then if I'm looking to pop my thinkpad cherry and want to spend the absolute least amount possible, you think it'd be worth to get a 1st gen?

I've heard the same about the 2nd gen keyboard, and that they got successively better after that. What exactly made them better though? Other than slicker hardware design etc.

Anyway the reason I'm asking is because I salvaged the SSD and Lenovo charger from my Ideapad that broke, so I could just get one of those barebones clunker models in the parts listings on ebay.

Second gen had capacitive buttons that were atrocious, and the key was fucked.
First gen keyboard is a bit mushy, and the keys have been getting progressively more tactile while remaining very slim. Apparently, the 5th gen is as good as a T-series while being much slimmer.

huh. i was using t41 when i was in hs. running WOW would make it run on like 95c. it could handle like 10 firefox tabs. mom sold it for scrap people, which made me very sad. i guess im gonna get something like x200 then.

Alrighty, well it looks like all the 3rd gens and up are >$600. What's so good about them that I shouldn't just get a T4xx?

They're thin and light.
Get a T series for a more authentic experience.

I'll make it easier on myself, what if I DON'T want an optical drive

Replace it with a drive caddy.

i currently have t420, and got x220 for myself. a bit too big and clunky. my first thinkpad was t41, and 14" 16:10 is just too weird. x220 is light and compact

Well the only reason I say that is because omitting it necessarily makes it lighter/thinner. I'm going for the ultrabook meme

Yeah the t420 definitely seems too big for me. I'm still trying to have a decent-size screen though, so the x220 and friends don't really cut it.

that's between 14" and 12.5". there's no in-between m8. atleast for thinkpad

t440p if you're a big quad core boi
t440/t440s if you're an ulv cuck

I meant the t420 is just too bulky in general. 14" screen is fine, I'd even take a 15'er if she was as light as a smaller-screened one.

I'm looking at the T450's right now, they're about $300 and looks like the first generation without gay optical drives :--------)

>all the x220's on eBay are like $200 and are cracked, scuffed on the lid, or greasy as all hell
Why the fuck do these dregs think that is a fair price for a unit which has clearly been used well? I'd be willing to drop like $120 or some shit for a nice one but $200 for one without even a drive caddy is insane.

T420 for 75 bucks, or x230 with dock for 125?

what happened to x220 libreboot? is it still coming soon™

Does any other Wacom pens work with the x200?
I know I can just get a oem one for 15$, but was wondering if there was something better out there

Which models of the T450's, T460's etc. have 2.5" internal SSD's, vs M.2 or mSATA or whatever drives? Did it become standard with a certain model?

I have a 128gb 2.5" SSD that I want to chuck in a used T450, and just resell the SSD that comes with it. But I'm not sure if it'll come with an M.2 and no slot for a traditional size drive.

because so many of you autists value the shit system for some reason

They all come with a proper sata slot and the m.2 slot, afik

I went through this exact same thought process and ended up buying a T450.

My only complaint is that although 1600x900 is better than 1366x768 (some T450 have this screen, beware!) the panel is still TN and coming from a MBP it's very obvious, but planning to do the IPS upgrade down the road!

Cool thanks, that's what it was looking like on Google but not sure if some """premium""" build options might've included an M.2 while the standard builds have 2.5" or whatever.

That's exactly what I'm going to do, I'm looking 1. a $250 listing with no SSD and a 1366x768 screen; and 2. a $350 one with 256gb SSD which I assume is an M.2. Probably just gonna go with the latter and force my girthy 2.5"er in there.

When buying a relatively cheap used 'pad on ebay, is getting the Squaretrade warranty worth it?

I'm buying a thinkpad X230 from a black person, what should I expect?

You're buying an X230 from a person. An exchange of goods for currency will occur, unless that person is a shitcunt.

to have the police come round and reclaim it the following day

I just snagged a used T450 with 256GB SSD for $328 (incl. tax). Hell yeah. Thanks you nerds, can't wait to be part of the master race.

which one consume less power?
m.2 sata
2.5mm sata
msata

>tfw just got x220 for 56 auction.
It. Didnt have battery and powerchord. But has 128ssd tho. With little chip on palmrest

Enjoy your depressed hinges.

My MacBook Pro is better than your thinkpad.

That's just like, your opinion, man...

They'll all be pretty much the same. It depends on the implementation of the SSD, and the motherboard.

was 1400 on a 2017 x1 with Max specs worth it desu? 22 without corporate code

It'll depend on what we see what lenovo comes out with using the new quad core ULV chips and Ryzen mobile.

What modifications do I need to make to the cooling so it works in zero-g?