/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing:
vimeo.com/151451697

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BLwo8a9V8K4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

best watch under $250?

anyone here have any experience with certina HAQ watches? are they good?
idk if i should get a seiko HAQ or certina
>inb4 swatchgroup. i know i know...

The diver is just a miyota based microbrand. It's nice to have a watch that I can wait to a beach, water park, etc - most of my weird vintage watches I wouldn't trust in particularly harsh conditions.

I don't really wear the borel cocktail that often, as you can imagine. It's a cool curiosity piece as a very accessible mystery dial.

I don't but would like to - if you give a specific model I can see what I can learn.

what have you done with the longines

and how much for the small-seconds charmer on the winder?

Longines is going to my.spare.time on eBay in the UK for service. This picture is also abiut two months old. I'll have a new one at some point.

The small seconds on the winder is my great grandmothers watch and is, as you can imagine, not for sale. But similar 1940s watches can be had on eBay for under one or two hundred.

Is it a meme? Should I stick to the F91W?

What a fun watch. I can't believe they can be had for such a reasonable price.

That's fantastic that you're responsible and service your watches. The Longines is a quartz, no?

Not quartz It's an esa9162 second-gen tuning fork. It's an improvement over the first-generation Accutron 214/218 movement. It reduces positional and shock variance by redesigning the shape of the tuning fork and lowers the frequency to 300hz.

I'm honestly not great about servicing my watches but when the opportunity presents itself I so - I check the mechanicals on the timegrapher every few months to see if anything looks like it needs service.

Image not my actual watch but same movement.

My watch is better than yours.

That's absolutely awesome

Is it bad that anytime I see a smart watch on someone who isn't jogging or exercising I immediately can tell they're a pleb?

I had a metawatch when I was in college. It was handy in the environment where plans were often made with less than an hour's notice, and when people were in class, walking places, etc. But as soon as I graduated it stopped being particularly useful and I passed it on to a freshman.

gtfo

SRP775

Where's the best place to buy Panerai homages/Marina Militare now?

These used to be everywhere a few years ago.

I wanted to ask something similar. What are alternatives to Panerai that aren't overpriced scam, nor chinkshit "homages".

Specifically the old-timey diver aesthetic.

not even 20 posts in and the
>Soyko numales
have started posting their shitters

I prefer the gold calculator watch, just for the crazy factor it has.

red pill me on the fitbit. I actually want something to monitor heart beat.

Mi band is $10 and does that just fine

Still a quartz SHITTER, seiko male.

*Soyko male
FTFY

whats wrong with quartz? im not a usual in these threads. The only watch "guy" I ever met was a seiko fag. He would not get the hint I didn't give a shit about his diving watches while I fixed his internet as a teenager.

Why did watch companies make watches with coated brass cazes 95 % of the time in the old times?
I bet stainless steel machining wasn't that hard after ww2.
What comes in mind of old mechanicals, that most of them were meant to last, they had robust movements and produced spare parts etc.
Why the coated cases though?

It's getting a lot harder to sell these vintage JDM pieces for some odd reason.

Either that or it's just my shit photography skills at fault.

Because it was cheaper and still looked very well.

Certain brass coated cases have a somewhat unique looking finish as well, like civilian 3133 chronographs.

True, but the coating doesn't last very long, making a otherwise robust watch's life shorter.

It was pretty common on watches that were considered lower end on the Swiss market, a good example is Sicura which was a sub-brand of Brietling and had most of their divers and chronographs in base metal coated cases.

Other old but still known/existing in name companies that are also known to do that are Tissot,Movado (lower end, Kingmatic models were SS),

On the Eastern side, pretty much all old Soviet watch manufacturers except Vostok divers and a few Poljot models, and plenty more. Seiko/Orient/Citizen tended to only use SS cases in the 60's and beyond, though some examples with basemetal can be found (mainly Citizen's and offshoots produced by Hindustan Machine Tools)

And classic Komandiskie's are still made in base metal coated cases.

post more collections

Nice Luch

Arguably a shitty image.

Everything on the left watchbox is on the chopping block.

What are you guys doing to me? I didn't like vintage watches or Seiko's before I came to /wt/ now I have a strong urge to start buying soviet shitters/vostoks and to start a Seiko collection. What the fuck is going on here?

Gentle reminder to blink twice if you need to be rescued from your Seiko "collection".

Ok.

Kek. A bunch of /wt/ regulars have bought vintage mechanical Seikos ever since I made them, and Yahoo! Japan Auctions, a meme.

Should I buy this? It's automatic.

Let's be honest here folks; the ONLY watch worth buying sub-15k is a Grand Seiko, isn't it?

buy a soyko

I mean there is just no comparison, is there?

>White gold can show chatter marks

What did they mean by this?

Those logos and indices are probably pressed, not machined.

only under 30 dollars

Meanwhile, at Rolex...

No. Rolex, in-house Tudor, in-house Damasko (if you can stand the looks), and Jaeger LeCoultre are all offering excellent watches bellow $15k in quality terms.

But none of them are finished anywhere NEAR the standard of a GS.

>he has to resort to cherry picking quartz movements
>doesn't show finishing

lel what did the clueless troll mean by this

What is the least amount of money you could sell a watch with a solid 18k gold case for?

What's wrong with the Credor according to you?

>What you actually get

That's a HAQ though. Still now they put it in a Dolce, I believe Seiko retired the movement for use in GS and Credor watches.

You mean Rolex fifteen years ago.

You mean externally finished, and Jaeger LeCoultre's are externally finished extremely well. They are a haute horlogerie maker after all.

>posting a quartz from 40 years ago

This is what they put in modern Rolex quartzes

>whats wrong with quartz?
Quartz is functionally superior and simple to manufacture to such a degree that it's boring: there's little room left for innovation, and therefore little room left for discussion. Mechanical watches are more interesting to "watch guys" because of the legacy of their past (John Harrison's marine chronometer allowed us to calculate longitude at sea, Elgin and Hamilton kept the American rail system running at the height of its global supremacy, the Waltham Watch Company's work on the Apollo guidance system put Man on the Moon, etc.) and the potential of their future.

A quartz watch will tell you the time, but a mechanical watch will tell you of a species destined for interstellar greatness. We wear them for Humanity. We wear them for Art. Unlock your Human potential. Defeat the globalists who want to shutter your mind, your doorways to perception. That's what we watch guys want. We want to see you truly live. We want to see you be who you truly are.

Or you know, you can like both.

You probably met more watch guys, but they didn't have any reason to talk about it with you.

>What comes in mind of old mechanicals, that most of them were meant to last, they had robust movements and produced spare parts etc.
Most did not. Pin pallet, riveted or unjeweled movements were the bulk of watches sold.

>This is what they put in modern Rolex quartzes

They don't make any modern ones. Th Oysterquartz line hasn't been made in over a decade.

You people are pathetic. I literally have not even met a Patek Philippe fanboy who has as much rabid, unconditional support for your pet brand than what I see with Seiko.

>You mean externally finished
Pretty sure the internal finishing on Grand Seikos is very much a match for Rolex movements in that range.
And external finishing matters a lot, it's what you look at.
And the cheapest automatic reverso costs twice as much as a GS.

Shhhh that's a sensible answer that has no place in this totally nonsensical hobby

>he doesn't know about Rolex Cellini

youtube.com/watch?v=BLwo8a9V8K4

I love seeing this clueless retard squirm and get BTFO regularly on each thread.

JLC is underrated in these threads.

I got a new watch and when it arrived it was 10 seconds fast, now it's 25 overnight

Is it true storing it with the dial facing up would make it run faster? If I put it facing down overnight next time will it slow down and go back to 10 or something? Then what do I even do to make it run normally once I finally do have it right

Judging by your description, you fucked it up. There's really nothing you can do, I'd sell it for 50% of the price you paid

>Having to drag up some random women's watch from the Cellini line no one has ever heard of nor cares about
>Movement still looks fine and is actually finished when you don't take intentionally blurry screenshots at weird angles

Yeah you know what bro you win. Seiko is the greatest watch brand in the world.

up to +30/-20 seconds is okay for entry level watches

also it's accuracy will differ when its on your wrist. just leave it on face up and stop being autistic

What kind of watch? Has it been regulated? Is that +10s/day averaged out over two weeks or so, or was that just what you noticed one night? If it's not a higher end watch +25s/day is okay for a mechanical, and there will be some fluctuation day-to-day.

I'm not even advocating for Seiko (though they do make nice stuff)

I'm just laughing at you because you get absolutely buttdevastated and revealed as a clueless retard when people more knowledgeable than you chime in despite your elitism lmao.

>I'm just laughing at you because you get absolutely buttdevastated and revealed as a clueless retard when people more knowledgeable than you chime in despite your elitism lmao.

Not knowing about an unrelated women's watch with a completely different movement that is still, again, actually finished nicely for what it is does not make me a clueless retard.

Seiko males cannot handle people not liking their watches or licking the companies balls.

damn thats one fine watch. Thank god its not a Soyko

>>Having to drag up some random women's watch from the Cellini line no one has ever heard of nor cares about
Yeah, like you weren't cherry picking with that Credor quartz.

mechanical watches perpetuate white supremacy and are the embodiment of racism

>woops Rolex actually offered modern quartz I CAN'T DEAL
>who's to say that tiny 34mm Credor isn't a ladies watch or unisex either
>S-seiko male!

lmao I've triggered another mental breakdown ahahaha. Classic clueless retard.

So everyone knew about the Credor you posted?

You got schooled, shoo shoo.

It's an incredibly cheap rotary automatic

It went +15 overnight and when I googled how to fix it the first thing that came up was how you store it, and I stored mine facing up which apparently makes it run faster overnight so everything made sense.

I'll leave it face down next time and see what happens I guess, can't hurt

Just bought a pebble, original pebble.

What do the good folk at /wt/ think of the pebble watches?

Credor is their top of the line dress watches.

A fucking woman's Cellini that even the most hardcore Rolex fanboy would admit is a distinctly inferior line is not comparable. The watch that actually would be comparable is an Oysterquartz, which is what I posted.

I like Seiko, they have a lot of good shit. The people in this thread like the sperg with their 1000-times folded katana, and I counter with watches they've made that simply aren't particularly impressive (not even going into the more subjective "they're fucking boring" issue). This of course gets a thousand (you)s and "hurf troll" because it's quite clear that the people here literally think it's impossible for someone to not fawn over their boring oriental watches or think they're overrated here without just trying to provoke reactions.

>Credor is their top of the line dress watches.
And Cellini isn't?

>A fucking woman's Cellini that even the most hardcore Rolex fanboy would admit is a distinctly inferior line is not comparable.
Have you compared the prices?

You got absolutely clowned, time to stop posting.

what are some good resources for total watch noobs?
Also are omega watches good in terms of quality?
Thinking about getting my first proper watch and dont want to get memed

Yes Grand Seikos will have better movement finishing than Rolex, but JLC's movements are finished at least as well as GS in their sub $15k models.

And of course external finishing matters a lot, I was merely noting that you should say external finishing because if you just say finishing people will assume you are talking about movement finishing.

And JLC has excellent external finishing on every watch they make, friend. JLC is one of the greatest watchmakers that has ever existed, and anyone who respects Grand Seiko should also respect JLC for being as serious as a heart attack about what they do.

Cellini is like Tudor, Rolex has never really given a shit about it until very recently. The Cellini's were a throwaway line no one cared about made for guys wanting to buy their woman something to try and get laid.

>You got absolutely clowned, time to stop posting.
>St.. stop disagreeing with me and just leave!

Sorry sweetheart I'm here to stay.

I'm not even into their watches aesthetically very much, I just respect the hell out of them for being a haute horlogerie maker selling most of their range with a steel option, having one of the greatest movement design and manufacturing legacies of any watchmaker ever, and still being able to trade blows at the very heights of haute horlogerie with work like the gyrotourbillon series. They are, in my mind, the GS of the haute horlogerie world: unpretentious, fanatical about watchmaking, and criminally underrated.

>Cellini is like Tudor
Pic related. It's this exact watch: You're an idiot.

Pretty sure that quartz Cellini cost more new than the Credor you posted.

>You're an idiot.

I'm impressed you can use an apostrophe correctly, but I think you need to move on to understanding the "," (coma) mark.

>This of course gets a thousand (you)s and "hurf troll" because it's quite clear that the people here literally think it's impossible for someone to not fawn over their boring oriental watches or think they're overrated here without just trying to provoke reactions.
In case you forgot, everyone already realized you are the fucking moron who has been perma-trolling /wt/ for several months already switching topic to topic us people stopped reacting to your bait, so you can save your mediocre bullshitting skills for people who haven't already caught on to your shtick.

>"Rolex has never really given a shit about Cellini"
>literally says "R O L E X" on the dial

Idiot.

>In case you forgot, everyone already realized you are the fucking moron who has been perma-trolling /wt/ for several months already switching topic to topic us people stopped reacting to your bait, so you can save your mediocre bullshitting skills for people who haven't already caught on to your shtick.

...And we go right back to accusing everyone who disagrees with you of being the same person.

> what are some good resources for total watch noobs?
I actually have no idea, certainly not /wt/ recently. Too much meme spam.

> Also are omega watches good in terms of quality?
Vintage Omega's (~1960's) were excellent. Modern Omega is dog shit.

I've been noting that as well.

But Seiko, slavshit, the occasional omega/rolex seem to dominate these threads.

>making up headcanon just so his ego isn't completely shattered

[collective /wt/ roars in laughter]

You may notice the picture I posted says "Rolex-Cellini-Moonphase" in the filename and the whole point in posting it was in reference to "until very recently" bit showing what the standard they're raising that line to now.

I know this is very hard for your soy-addled brain to understand, but I very obviously was not saying that Cellini was not a Rolex.

I said Cellini was LIKE Tudor. And how is it like Tudor? Well I elaborated, it was a line that Rolex didn't really give a shit about until recently (which is directly analogous to Rolex's treatment with their Tudor line until a few years ago, hence the very obvious, valid comparison).

The fact that you need your hand held to comprehend basic sentences is appalling, especially considering you like to throw accusations of stupidity around.

>Cellini still under the ROLEX brand and never wavered firmly under their house
>always been the classical counterpart to their sport models

yeah nah. just admit you got asswrecked.

>blablabla
The quartz Rolex you claimed Rolex didn't give a shit about and was "like Tudor" literally has R O L E X on the dial.

Is that a JLC Tribute to 1931?

>Ce-cellini w-was tot-tally an afterthought guiz! It doesn't count!
>But this one random discontinued Credor was main watchmaking focus of Seiko/Grand Seiko/Credor/Credor Micro-Art Studios!