Arch Linux

You have 1 minute to explain, why you're not using Arch Linux.

Other urls found in this thread:

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=61193189
calculate-linux.org/
github.com/RagingTiger/dragon
wiki.debian.org/Dwm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I am but it sucks

I use BSD

b-but user, ido

I'm disabled and settled for manjaro.

Thinking about moving to gentoo desu, if only my CPU was better

i do my love

because openQA on Tumbleweed means i don't have to spend precious time fixing shit that Arch broke

Too much autism

Every time I use this distro it breaks with open-vm-tools and vmware workstation 12 (Can't move to 14 because my machine uses X58 architecture and it's not supported anymore)

The weirdest part is that the file sharing feature works for the first two or three times then it stops working altogether no matter if I restart the VM, clear cache, update everything, etc.

I tried finding the reasoning for this shit to happen but after a saturday evening I just said fuck it and went back to the stuff I'm used to (fedora, centos, debian, xubuntu, etc since they all work).

I've been using Debian since I started using Linux and I am happy with it.

Give me good reasons to change and I will consider.

>tfw Antergos is easier to use than MacOS

QUADS GET. Also give wallpaper.

Because i'm using Atrix linux

>Pre
>4.9
Updates are a thing, user

The community run cinnamon distribution is not supported from what I've seen.

because im tired of setting everything up just for one thing to not work and then spend the next 2 hours on either the arch wiki or using Google, only for the problem to either inexplicably solve itself or I solve it myself using the knowledge I gained in my wasted time.

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=61193189

i am, silly user

I don't like rolling-release, I don't want to be bleeding-edge, and I prefer a sane default environment to roll-your-own.

I like to play vidya

Have you used stable all these years?

Yup. I prefer stability and ease-of-use over performance.

Wireless networking

My laptop runs gentoo
My desktop windows
My phone Android with and Arch chroot

but i am

No you're using the retarded cousin edition

>I solve it myself using the knowledge I gained in my wasted time.
Is it really wasted time then?

i dont like having things overcomplicated just for the sake of it
although i use awesome

calculate-linux.org/

what the fuck kind of display do you have? tiny and blury as fuck.
is your computer a phone from 2005?

I already have a better distro installed.

pic not related

No support for altarch

i have no more

Because my rasberry pi2 with linux mint and i3 and I don't have another computer to download arch to install it on

Because pacman cant connetct to repos when i try to install archlinux on WM (Ping worked perfectly), even used arch anywhee, zen/revenge installers, antergos. Non of them wanted to install itself on WM.

I cant test OS on WM, i dont install it on my PC

because after rebooting after pacman -Syu my wifi stopped working and it took me 2 hours to fix

What vidya Arch Linux has? Same as OS X?

What?

I do, just not on a computer I value, that way when it inevitably breaks down and shits itself I won't have to worry.

Is that polybar?

What?

can you post that wallpaper please?

Just testing

>i3
>6GB memory used

I've never used Arch, what's the deal with memory usage? I've run i3 on Debian before and my neofetch showed like 148MB memory used.

I know "unused RAM is wasted RAM", but I'm still curious what's going on. I don't think neofetch/scrot memory usage includes the amount that's buffered/reserved, but maybe it does

Because I start from a minimal Ubuntu install instead of Arch as a matter of personal preference. I guess prefer Ubuntu because I've used it for so long that I've grown attached for sentimental reasons, rather than any real under-the-hood advantages. Even then it really doesn't matter; you can tweak the hell out of just about any distro to the point that the only thing you're (more or less) stuck with is the package manager.

Also I'm not particularly fond of Arch users. While they're smart enough to troubleshoot problems that arise from setting up a system from scratch, they're often not smart enough to realise that no one else cares. I'm sure these people are the minority, but like any community or group that is perceived as toxic it only takes a vocal majority to make everyone look like dickheads. I don't really want to be lumped into that category.

>Also I'm not particularly fond of Arch users. While they're smart enough to troubleshoot problems that arise from setting up a system from scratch, they're often not smart enough to realise that no one else cares.

this.

unstable
community is shit
i'm happy with opensuse

I use openSuse and fuck your autism that's why.

>that fucking ASCII Dracula
Edgy. Do you really put no worth in your time which is limited since your birth? How often do your parents ask you with tears in their eyes to finally get a life on your own user?

>systemd by default
>unstable
>autistic users
Only Arch distro I like is Parabola and I might even start using it again because they're trying to migrate over to OpenRC.

Yea sure. :)

Wait wrong pape.

I'm using i3 on arch and it system is using only 25mb RAM

give me a quick rundown on why systemd is bad pls
Wait so is arch really this bad? I just want an operating system I can sort of make my own without any programs that I don't want to use. Do you really have to use open source and compile everything?
Does it automatically update? I want something I can get to work and never update again. I don't really care about bleeding edge.

I started Linux with Gentoo back in 2003 (actually SuSE back in 2000, but I didn't stick with it), and eventually grew frustrated at having to micromanage my computer for a tiny increase in performance, moved to Ubuntu where things were perfectly satisfactory, and settled on Linux Mint where I've been for the last 8 years.

I've been tempted to look at Arch, but my computer works just fine, I'm no longer in my 20s and I don't have the spare time to break things just to try them out.

Here is the pape, user.

Because I use OpenBSD, which is better than any linux.

/thread

>Wait so is arch really this bad?
Arch isn't bad.

>Do you really have to use open source and compile everything?
Yes. No. It does sound hard but it's way too simple, trust me. You'll get used to it in a week.

>Does it automatically update?
Arch doesn't auto-update.

>I want something I can get to work and never update again.
"Just werks"

>arch is source based
But that's not even true

Because after a certain point of being a full blown autist, all you want is the easiness and usability out of the box. You just stop caring and realize that in the end it doesn't fucking matter.

im not smart, user

i wrote on yesterday's thread but got no reply

is arch linux botnet? it appears with several connections to www.archlinux.org on the pi-hole admin page. i don't want something that calls back home behind my back.

you used an install script, didnt you?

been using arch for 10 years, soyboy. just realized since two weeks ago i got my raspberry pi out of my ass and installed pi-hole

user obviously has applications open in the background

I am running arch

>never update again
That will fail for the simple reason that webbrowsers themselves are a moving target. New standards trickle down over time. So you need new software. So you need to update.
And for it to be fast you ideally want a good gfx stack.
And there was that glibc update recently which introduced better multithreaded malloc, which is important if you have multithreaded applications, which are becoming more common.

Progress never stops.

Also security is a moving target.

Just started arch. I feel like Pacman is easier to use than apt. I was on mint before but it broke cos I didn't use their own application manager. Still have some bugs and the wiki is a bit hard to get with arch but I like it so far. Ultimately I'd love to go ultra minimal with void and dwm when I get more experienced. Longtime Linux nerd friend is using Debian (he was on Gentoo for a while until it broke) so I think it shows that arch can be a little bit try hard yeah

No, you aren't.

I want a functioning operating system.

He most likely got it from this script you fuckhead

github.com/RagingTiger/dragon

>46M
holy...

Windows 10 Just Werks ™
And I don't have a 20 year old processor that can't handle an extra operation per second because muh bloat

Because I use Debian Testing, which is as good as, if not better than Arch.
>hrrdrr no aur
I agree

> so few packages
What do you use it for?
Just as a shitposting box or something?

What font is are your terminals? It's so bad that it looks good

Because I'm very new to Linux and only have half a college class of experience with Mint.

After that class I installed Mint on my laptop to get used to using Linux. It's a nice change of pace from Windows but I feel like I've stopped learning about Linux since the class ended, outside of the occasional google search.

On a different topic than the OP, can anyone recommend a place/service to continue learning? I enjoyed learning the basics in class and want to keep the ball rolling.

He has firefox open

Because I use Ubuntu

because NixOS provides fully reproducible builds and can easily roll back upgrades in the event that something breaks

see
Web browsers are fucking horrible resource hogs. Running a handful of tabs usually uses more CPU and RAM than the rest of a system combined.

Kill yourself
Autistic distro but minimal
No cause it's bloat, the fucking iso file is like 520mb while debian net install is like 290mb. Arch is fucking bloat, i don't get why you newfags fall for this trap. It's not minimal whatsoever . Their wiki is super fucking shit, they couldn't explain to me how to customize dwm. Like wtf???? The Debian wiki explained it to me wonderfully. wiki.debian.org/Dwm

Fuck Arch Linux

What's autistic about NixOS?

Updating a web browser is some pretty easy stuff I'm sure I could've handled at the age of 10 at least.
What I meant is that I don't want to be at the bleeding edge if the bleeding edge means bleeding at my fingers for typing so long trying to fix whatever broke in the first place.

So after reading the thread what I understand is everyone who doesn't use linux is a pansy because they don't like doing things and it's just like any other distro but you get to add the programs yourself instead of having it prebuilt?
Any discrepancies? Am I missing anything?

>I am but it sucks
No wonder, you have accidentally made it into a toddler toy. You can't be productive with that.

Do you use NixOS yourself?

your dumb

thanks user

When i say the arch wiki is shit, it's really fucking shit. Such literate vague faggots

Yeah I mean have fun being a bitch (▰˘◡˘▰)

>implying there is anything wrong with Ubuntu

Yes, do I have a different understanding of autism?

Everything is wrong with ubuntu. Fuck that shit

Can you post the wallpaper, please?