Does anybody still do CPU lapping?

Does anybody still do CPU lapping?

Not really since Intel stopped soldering the IHS it's near useless compared to a delid

>too much effort
>newer CPUs are so fast that overclocking is pointless
>thus heat rarely becomes an issue

>heat rarely becomes an issue
Not in this timeline.

>>newer CPUs are so fast that overclocking is pointless

just use the CPU to keep the vagoo warm

it would probably give you 1-2C but really whats the point? Unless you are srsly oc'ing

Useless nowadays, for the same results you need to delid the CPU because intel fucked up.

Nah deliding is the name of the game now.

>newer CPUs are so fast that overclocking is pointless

You're too autistic to understand how hobbies work aren't you? Back to Sup Forums kid.

basically this. I got a 6700k so that I could over clock it and I dont even bother. the only times Ive even bothered flipping the automatic oc switch was when I was compressing terabytes of data or transcoding dozens of gb of video to hevc

this

Lapping the CPU can actually cause the CPU to be at higher temperatures. It's the same equivalent as placing your iPhone in a microwave to charge it.

I bet what happened here is that both the CPU and the HSF were non-flat, but in a way that happened to fit together well. Lapping the CPU just accentuated the error in the HSF

As far as I know, Intel's 7th gen processors (Kaby Lake) have some chink shit thermal paste between the core and the IHS. If you replace that with something that's actually good it's worth more than 5 times the amount of OC headroom you might get from lapping. I'm not sure if the same can be said for 6th gen CPUs (Skylake) since people don't talk too much about delidding those

It's not that the thermal paste is bad, it's the fact that in order for the CPUs to last they have to use some special thermal bullshit paste that doesn't dry out like the normal stuff.
Either way it's still a cost cutting measure, because not only is solder expensive but they lose a few CPUs in the process.

Wut. All lapping is doing is giving it a flatter surface for better conductivity. That pic looks like the CPU was overclocked to shit and was running insanely hot.

Always wanted to do this, didn't know it's got a name.
I guess all you need some superfine sandpaper.
Bigger question is - how to make sure it's evenly sanded?

My CPU's IHS has one massive circular valley in the middle, probably a whole 0.5mm off the general flat.

Buy der8auer CPUs.
Binned, lapped, delidded and heatspreader replaced.

You put the sandpaper down on something flat (a pane of glass works well, so long as you don't care about possibly damaging it) and lap the CPU on that. This is also what the sharpie lines on the CPU are for, if you scribble on the heatspreader and then start sanding, where the lines disappear tells you where material is being work away. The CPU is nice and flat when the lines wear off evenly.

You do need very fine sandpaper, but not at the start. It'll take a long time to wear down a half-millimeter with fine paper. The usual recommendation back in the day was to start with 400 grit to flatten the spreader out, then go to higher grits to polish out the scratches. 800, 1500, and 2000 usually. remember that the heatsink base needs to be lapped, too, to fit well.

None of this prevents delidding, you can delid, replace the TIM, and lap the spreader too, since most people just put the spreader back on instead of modding their sink and retention hardware to mount without the heatspreader.

Also you don't want ordinary sandpaper for wood, you need silicon carbide stuff. get the wet-or-dry paper and lap it wet, the water carries away the copper and nickel dust and helps the sandpaper last longer.

>400 grit on a CPU

Jesus that's fucking keen, I'd rather start at 1000 and take my time.

you don't wanna do it for too long. just enough to flatten it out and get that damned nickel plating off. sure, start at a higher grit if you're worried about overdoing it. you just might have to be at it for a while.

also don't bear down on the CPU when you're lapping, that can take off a lot of metal in a hurry and makes it harder to get an even flatness.

>Not really since Intel stopped soldering the IHS it's near useless compared to a delid

This. You need to take off the lid and lap the die instead.

Why even apply such a ridiculous amount of thermal compound on a lapped IHS? The whole point of lapping is that you make the surface completely flat, so there are no deficiencies on the surface that the thermal paste has to fill out.

>lap the CPU on that
Wow I'm retarded. The simplest solution and I couldn't think of that.

>You do need very fine sandpaper, but not at the start
I am familiar with sanding, but thanks anyway - someone else might find it useful.

>the heatsink base needs to be lapped, too
Oh definitely.

>modding their sink and retention hardware to mount without the heatspreader
That's some hardcore stuff. I come from the age of solder so no deliding for me.
I'll probably go with the lapping at some point soon.

One more thing on the to-do list.
Thanks user.

why not just delid and put the cooler directly on the die

there were enterprising lunatics who did exactly that in the S370 and Socket A era, when CPUs didn't have heatspreaders. great way to kill your chip if you weren't incredibly careful.

Direct die cooling is insanity unless you know exactly what you are doing - a hair too much pressure and you crack the die and kill the entire chip. A hair too little and the cooler doesn't make enough contact and the cpu catches fire.

nice fractals

>Laps CPU
>Doesn't also lap heatsink

>I come from the age of solder so no deliding for me.

Not if you're buying recent Intel CPUs.

it cant be that hard laptops use direct die cooling and thats easy to repaste / reseat also how it used to be bone back in the day

>lap the die

Hnnnnng, man that would be so easy to fuck up.

I cant sharpen a knife worth a fuck so i wouldny never try this. Its also stupid

i...is this a realdoll? or an actual person. I can't really tell anymore

Laptop parts are explicitly designed around this and have tolerances built in - your desktop chip and motherboard does not.

Laptops don't have 1kg+ coolers on top of them. Laptops also have heatsinks that mount with alot less pressure compared to a desktop heatsink

Does that include Skylake chips? More specifically an i7-6700k?

Any regular desktop Intel CPU since Ivy Bridge is not soldered

Last time I saw, the higher the contact area, the higher the heat transfer. Roughing the surfaces sounds like a better idea. Imagine Ruffle chips.

Unevenly rough surface is lower contact area though.
But you are correct that if surfaces were very evenly patterned to have a bigger contact area in a way to perfectly match the heatsink you'd indeed get better heat transference.

Pain in the ass to manufacture, but if you started a Noctua-tier "premium quality" CPU manufacturing company, it could probably be worth considering.
Otherwise, it has no profitable application.