Raven Ridge Discussion

How can Intel cucks even compete?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/f6705bf959efac87bca76d40050d342f1d212587
youtube.com/results?sp=EgIIAw%3D%3D&search_query=ryzen 5 2500u
extremetech.com/computing/54498-review-atis-radeon-9100-igp
anandtech.com/show/11964/ryzen-mobile-is-launched-amd-apus-for-laptops-with-vega-and-updated-zen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> Bribes OEMs with rebates

That's not working, pal.
See: DELL shilling their EPYC-based PowerEdges.

> Muh "Iris (((Pro))) Graphics"

RR isn't even going to be a performance part, they literally sold that market segment to intel. lmao

Shame it won't perform like that in actual games due to thermal throttling.
But yes, Vega iGPU kills anything Intel on area efficiency, ALU throughput, geometry performance, everything.

KBL-G was requested by Apple, and AMD has no advanced packaging like EMIB right now (ahoy, Amkor, it's time for S-SLIM).

>KBL-G was requested by Apple
[citation needed]
>and AMD has no advanced packaging like EMIB right now
Whut? rely meks u fink how vega works

On AMD related news, github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/f6705bf959efac87bca76d40050d342f1d212587

DC/DAL finally landed in staging for 4.15 so you can use Linux on Raven Ridge once more laptops come out.

>[citation needed]
Google it.
>Whut? rely meks u fink how vega works
2.5D interposers are thick and very pricey.
That's why AMD needs to start poking at OSAT partners like Amkor.

>Shame it won't perform like that in actual games due to thermal throttling
How about buy a laptop with actual cooling?
You buy a stupidly thin laptop yes its going to throttle.

It performs fine on games (pic related)
> thermal throttling
We don't know that, but knowing Desktop Ryzen, it's safe to assume it won't throttle at all at those clock speeds.

You know it's possible to bump the TDP up to 25W right? That would compete directly against Intel's 45W counterparts.

>It performs fine on games (pic related)
That's actually well below suggested TimeSpy score.

>google it
That's not a source, user.

As much as I would agree with Apple being a customer, AMD said themselves that this part was not directly competing with RR.
Performance AMD APU's have been sold to the Jew.

How the fuck are they getting such bad performance out of CS:GO?

>That's actually well below suggested TimeSpy score.
It suffers on games because of no dedicated VRAM, so it depends a lot on fast DDR4 RAM. Iris graphics has the advantage here because it has 128MB L4 cache on die, so a huge throughput for low end games.

Raven Ridge will perform better on everything else though. If it had HBM2 it would simply destroy Intel.

KBL-G is not an APU.
It's simple Intel CPU + dGPU, just in a very neat package.

It suffers because it thermally throttles.
TimeSpy has separate phases for CPU and GPU loads.
Real gaymen stresses both.

Who are you trying to shill for? I'm genuinely confided as to why you think RR is a good product?

please user, I can't handle this roller-coaster ride

Have you ever played CS GO on Intel HD? It can't even handle 720p low settings without throttling.

>S-shill!
(You)

>getting buttblasted about being called a shill

how gnu are you user? seriously, why is RR so good? Or is this a bait thread for us to tell you?

spoiler: it's shit

I just figured a system that could pull 66FPS out of Overwatch at 720P should easily get 60+ in CS at 1080p with decent settings, considering my last system got like 3-4x the FPS in CS that it did in OW. I haven't fucked with gaming on integrated graphics in years though, guess they're worse than I'd have figured.

>2x4 gb of ddr4-2400 ram
>radeon graphics
what do you expect

Honestly I thought "Radeon graphics" meant it had a discrete graphics card, haven't had an AMD product since like the Athlon/ATI days so I didn't think about integrated "Radeon" graphics being a thing.

youtube.com/results?sp=EgIIAw%3D%3D&search_query=ryzen 5 2500u

There are some real world benchmark videos posted the past few days of Ryzen 5 2500u inside an HP Envy X360

>I didn't think about integrated "Radeon" graphics being a thing.
It's a thing since Llano days, which are ages old.

extremetech.com/computing/54498-review-atis-radeon-9100-igp

>2003
yfw the original rx480 was an integrated graphics chip

But ryzen laptops are getting built with single channel ram.

But the only one currently available is dual channel and fully upgradable.

The HP one is single channel

It's dual channel, and you can manually install both m.2 SSD and moar RAM.

You're going on old currytech info. From the launch lineup, the only manufacturer that listed single channel is Lenovo.

Is it even currently available anywhere?
I wonder if lulnovo will provide a dual channel option.

Nope, most products are expected in December.
anandtech.com/show/11964/ryzen-mobile-is-launched-amd-apus-for-laptops-with-vega-and-updated-zen

>R7 2700U
>Dual channel 8gb max

This chip is dead in the water as far as performance goes with that ram bottleneck.
They need to come out with a proper non-neutered chip.

It's not 8gb max you cracker ass cracker

>lelnovo
ftfy

I'm kinda excited for a quad core X1 Carbon

>he thinks it's 8gb max

lmao you dumbass

Remember, 2700U has a 15W TDP

Fifteen watts.

FIFTEEN.

No other 15W CPU has as good performance.

i was waiting for a rr mini build but with recent jump in part prices who knows

With their own cpus and amd graphics?

>No other 15W CPU has as good performance.
Well, it's a testament to AMD's engineering.
7LP will deliver the killing blow.

A problem is that ARM may expand in the ultra low power sector, and they should have the power consumption advantage (perhaps not if the programs run through the emulation).

It will be interesting to see how well the three platform fare in the next months.

>A problem is that ARM may expand in the ultra low power sector, and they should have the power consumption advantage (perhaps not if the programs run through the emulation).
4 A75 cores will be about as powerhungry as 2 Zen2 cores.
The throughput will be about the same.
So, what's the point?

>So, what's the point?
What I meant is that it will be three chip manufacturers fighting over market share, not only two.

The outcome will depend on how well people (and OEMs) accept Windows 10 on ARM and how well the chips compare to intel's and AMD's lineup - it may end pretty bad for ARM, it may also completely change the landscape.

>The outcome will depend on how well people (and OEMs) accept Windows 10 on ARM
It will be okay for 5W Facebook machines, shit for anything else, and WoW layer can't emulate x86-64, only x86.
It will be DOA should AMD launch some 2/4 3CU 5W SKU.
And I sincerely doubt ARM vendors will be ready to chase AMD to the bottom of the margin well.