/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

audiobudget.com/leaderboard/iem
youtube.com/watch?v=0l20Pac9YWM
aliexpress.com/store/product/Tennmak-Tenmk-Pro-Dual-Dynamic-Driver-Professional-In-Ear-Sport-Detach-Earphone-Headphones-with-Microphone-Remote/1183804_32624020655.html
aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-Pro-Blue-Gold-Dual-Dynamic-Driver-Professional-In-Ear-Sport-Detach-MMCX-Earphone-with-4/32838652146.html
phon.ucl.ac.uk/courses/spsci/AUDL4007/12.pdf
linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm
ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Superlux-HD-HMD-Series-Pro-Studio-Headphones/261643450065
youtube.com/watch?v=x3fBy07bvfw
youtube.com/watch?v=K69_m4gtZDk
mega.nz/#!5Q9k1IxC!m37jepzgDHfY89GZO5azZchaiWcs0kcBZOLHjVfi0Ls
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-modi-mb-technical-measurements.2603/
magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/agd-nfb11-28
aliexpress.com/store/product/Earmax-Silver-Plated-Earphone-Cable-with-Remote-Microphone-Replace-Wire-for-Shure-SE215-SE315-SE425-SE535/1805757_32616726213.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's the second best headphone behind the MA900?

What's the /hpg/ consensus on these?

t. I like neutral sound, previous headphones were Sony MDR v150

pls

>when you get done listening to your hd600s on your schiit stack

you can't go wrong with either. but the m6 has been getting bad rep from owners around here lately for being uncomfortable for sounding like shit, so try the tenmak or KZs. Alternatively, you can just get Panasonic ergo fits, monks, yincrows (or any other shit iem/earbud) and just wrap it around your ear for a more secure fit. if you're interested in chink shit, you can also go here: audiobudget.com/leaderboard/iem

>crystal clean plastic

jesus fucking murphy
even just clicking around on other shitty countries it's got shorter shipping estimates
have any fellow leaves had orders from aliexpress take well over a month

have there been any new developments in the world of autismphones?

Isn't ePacket shipping quicker, or is that not available for a leaf?

youtube.com/watch?v=0l20Pac9YWM

no
only option on this one for me is standard :(
aliexpress.com/store/product/Tennmak-Tenmk-Pro-Dual-Dynamic-Driver-Professional-In-Ear-Sport-Detach-Earphone-Headphones-with-Microphone-Remote/1183804_32624020655.html

What about this one?
aliexpress.com/item/Tennmak-Pro-Blue-Gold-Dual-Dynamic-Driver-Professional-In-Ear-Sport-Detach-MMCX-Earphone-with-4/32838652146.html

There's "premium" 10-15 day shipping available there for me, but I'm a burger boy

Whoa: phon.ucl.ac.uk/courses/spsci/AUDL4007/12.pdf
>The first resonance for an open tube that is 2.3cm long should occur at a frequency of 3696Hz. The next resonant frequency should occur at 3X3696Hz=11,088, the next at 5X3696Hz=18,480Hz, and so on.
>Note too the resonant peaks at about 2.5kHz that can be seen for all angles of presentation. These result from a quarter-wavelength resonance arising from the combined ear canal and concha (the shallow bowl in the pinna that leads directly to the ear canal). This resonance is at a lower frequency than that seen for the ear canal alone, because the concha effectively adds to the length of the ear canal.
>3x2500=7500
Does this mean that the commonly reported ~7.5 kHz resonance that people hear with sine wave generators and headphones is the ear canal + concha system's three-quarter wavelength resonance? If so, should we actually NOT be EQing this out, as it's a natural part of our hearing?
linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm claims this resonance is:
>due to the acoustic impedance mismatch between transducer, ear canal and ear drum causing a half wavelength resonance in the canal.
Which is correct?

Shinola announced a line of headphones/in-ears in collaboration with Campfire and ex-Audeze members.

whoa you cracked the code none of the audio researchers out there understood anything but you are on to it well done

What are good, cheap headphones with a good "space" (I mean, you can distinguish very clearly the bass from the treble).

Superlux HD662EVO

>linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm
I'm pretty damn sure he's not supposed to be EQ'ing out that perceived 2.5 kHz peak on the ER-4S, so I'm perceiving his credibility as questionable. Furthermore, him perceiving peaks at 2.5 kHz and 7.5 kHz with the ER-4S is seemingly consistent with quarter wavelength and three-quarter wavelength resonances.

>Which is correct?
All of them.

A tube closed off at one end presents a notable impedance mismatch compared the acoustic impedance of the tube, so that sound reflects off the boundary. This is the actual meaning of "impedance matching"; matching the impedance at each end to minimize standing wave formation in a transmission line.
Average adult ear canal resonance at situated around 2.7kHz, give or take a few hundred Hertz. The next resonance is situated at triple that frequency.
>If so, should we actually NOT be EQing this out, as it's a natural part of our hearing?
No reason to. Like you said, it is the natural state of hearing. It is embedded into how you hear the world.
It's not that the headphone itself has a resonance there, it's your ears. The dummy head attempts to replicate this feature of human ears, although Tyll's is a bit questionable at its job.
>half wavelength
Linkwitz is describing something else. He has plugged up his ear using an earphone, creating a transmission line closed off at both ends. This creates a half wave resonator.
Unlike with headphones, you have some freedom to change the depth of the insertion to alter the frequency of this resonance. 7.5kHz peak would represent a very shallow fit for most ears.

>He has plugged up his ear using an earphone, creating a transmission line closed off at both ends. This creates a half wave resonator.
So how come he perceives peaks at 2.5 kHz and 7.5 kHz, which would make sense as quarter wavelength and three-quarter wavelength resonances?

Too expensive, what about the Superlux Hd681?

Answering my own question, I think I get it now. The 2.5 kHz peak is, indeed, built into the earphone as he claims, the 7.5 kHz peak is a halfwave resonance and the fact that the halfwave resonance is 3x the frequency of the 2.5 kHz peak built into the headphones is simply coincidence. Did I get this right, ?

Huh? Aren't they like the same price? If you want the HD681, get these pads with it

ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Ear-Pads-Cushion-For-Superlux-HD-HMD-Series-Pro-Studio-Headphones/261643450065

HD681 is good, but the pads it comes with aren't

Also, if I'm understanding things correctly, we should NOT be EQ'ing out three quarter-wavelength resonances from on/over-ear headphones, but SHOULD be EQ'ing out half-wavelength resonances from IEMs, since the former are "how we hear the world" but the latter are not representative of a tube open on one end and closed on the other, which is "how we hear the world?"

The HD681 cost less than half of what the HD662EVO costs, but upon reading more people say that the HD681 have ear-raping treble. Now I don't even know what to do.

The treble spike can be EQ'd to alleviate it

is there anything better than the shp9500s at under $100?

HD558

They have to match his ears. Not just the center frequency, but the Q and the magnitudes as well. I also said frequency would probably be a little off.
By bypassing most of the ear, the earphone manufacturer has to guess what the anatomy of your ear is, because their job is filling in for the amplification ordinarily provided by the ear.

If you look at the IEM results Tyll gets, they are more or less in line with the results anyone else gets with a 711 coupler. This is because the eardrum simulators all stick to one standard, instead of a five or so different pinnae. But, using different correction functions to reflect the different pinnae produces a different compensated response.

Yes.
>resonances
There are too many separate standing waves in the cavity of a headphone to just blame everything on the ones caused by the ear canal.
You can also damp IEM resonances a bit. Dampers inserted into sound bores will absorb energy, and foam sleeves can have a bit of effect on this as well.
>how we hear
There's more to it.
The brain does not just read off the magnitude of an input signal via Fourier transform, it applies EQ based on how it understands directional cues presented by the ears (phase shift, level imbalance, pinna notches, etc.)
As best we can tell, that "direction" would be a diffuse sound field (no direction at all), in which the quarter-wave resonances are visible.
It still comes down to how well the transfer function of the earphone matches your ear.

Mud cannons

Thanks for all the responses. You were very informative.

post your headphones

SHP9500s are every bit as bright as the HD558 are warm/dark. Both err from balanced/neutral in different ways about the same amount. Preference will come down to taste, but more listeners will prefer warm headphones than bright headphones.

Wait, what? What's the reasoning behind this post?

He thinks everyone is ComfyGrados

I think you are slightly confused. Schizo user is the one who thinks everyone is CG. is also probably schizo user.

I got wireless Bose headphones as a gift and there's a shockingly noticeable and bordering on painful hiss-whir-computer sound at all times in the right ear. I've read that you have to accept some noise with Bluetooth, but this seems excessive. Only when listening to music at significant volume is it not clearly audible. Quieter music and spoken material is pretty much spoiled by it. I end up leaving the right headphone on the top of my head most of the time.

Any basic fixes to reduce noise? I'm guessing not because it happens equally with whatever source I'm using. If nothing else, what are the odds it's a faulty unit instead of just inherent to the headphones?

MDR v150 or MDR-xd100

Just bought a tube amp. Now looking for cable risers to complete the retarded audiophool meme. Where can I get them for under $20? I want the audiophool aesthetic but I don't want to pay out the ass.

erm you need a dac teleport first to really get the sound MOVING

explain this to me

it teleports the sound into your mind via your ears

Idol trash here.
What's your user like, setup?
Nice feet.

>M50X for synth
>HE-560 for CDs
>DT990 for PC stuff
>QC35 for travelling

Cool. I'd throw some HD600 into the mix. Can't hurt to have some sennperiors.

I've been considering the LCD-3

>LCD-3
No doubt HD600 is better value/money.
I'm looking at LCD-2c, but I'll wait until it's measured and reviewed. I don't just trust it to sound as good as the supposedly good old LCD-2 revisions.

just got my custome one pros what do these slidy thing on the bottom do says something about bass but i cant tell a difference

I know it's extremely dumb but part of the reason for wanting LCD-3s is that I just love how they look.

Budget
>Location
Saudi arabia
>Source
pc
>Type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
very comfy

i want it for gaming and anime music,
do i need to get a amp/dac?

Don't you have a warranty? Or just return it. Don't keep it as it is

the budget is 160$

Probably bass ports for increasing/decreasing amount of bass

>is that I just love how they look.
Uhhh... I have no words.

people only go here because of the pics in the OP

More booze and music for me tonight. I need some new fucking songs. I don't even know what genres to listen to anymore, I just try and listen to bits of everything

Will Precious Grain do?
youtube.com/watch?v=x3fBy07bvfw

First time here, requesting purchase advice on IEM

Budget: $200, flexible
Location: Hong Kong, I guess electronic stuff here is usually pretty cheap
Source: 3.5mm
Comfort: leaning toward comfortable
Sound signature: bright perhaps
Past IEMs: SE215, AKG N20

Just broke my SE215, would like to try something new, but also want the cable to be as sturdy as that of SE215 because it's going to be my travel IEM. The $200 could partly be spent on getting a good cable. Don't mind if it doesn't have a controller.

Thanks in advance user

nice campfire orions.

Yes?

youtube.com/watch?v=K69_m4gtZDk

This is one of my favorite albums. From 1988 by the greatest Russian rock band of all time

lossless quality:
mega.nz/#!5Q9k1IxC!m37jepzgDHfY89GZO5azZchaiWcs0kcBZOLHjVfi0Ls

I wear a pair of headphones for 8+ hours almost every day. I'm looking for advice on the fluffiest, comfiest circumaural pads around. Must be easily removable and at least hand washable, must breathe(no vinyl or pleather)

prefer ones compatible with MDR-v6 but honestly I'd buy new phones to support them if they were legendary enough

try some M40x/50x's and HM5 pads, or try some AIAIAI TMA-2s, but for that length of time you're going to have to try them out to see which fits best.

Not sure if you're taking the piss of not, but yeah, they're zs5 v1's. Fucking amazing for the price. I'd never buy expensive iems when things like these exist.

i am, i've got V2s which are good, best £20 IEM you can get, as soon as you change the horrific stock cable.

not a bad song

Never really listened to russian music before. interesting.

Funnily enough i compared my brothers v2's to mine last night and they are very different. The v2s are still great for the money but they don't touch the v1's. Why did they have to change something that was near perfect for the price. I wanted to buy a zs6 for the metal body, it would have been amazing with the zs5 sound.

Does anything such as High frequency burn in music exist? I want to try burning in my kz zs6. I absofuckinglutely love them except for whenever S or T in a song comes up. I'm scared of using regular white noise because I heard it milds the bass too. Another question if I turn all the other frequencies down through equalizer and just ramp up 8k and 16k will it work?

Get some headphones with god-tier treble, such as the HD600.
Not sibilant crap.

>using iems
>immediately suggests open back headphones

kek

do some EQ on your device if they're too bright.

Buy me one. You think I'd buy 20$ iems if I had the money to buy more expensive ones?

I've done it. The T's are good now but the S's still hurt.

try reducing 4k a bit too.

I really can't stand the sound of cymbals
which freqs should I lower to reduce them

-6 dB at 8kHz and -8dB at 10kHz

Etymotic ER3SR

They're like 300 pound in amazon now.

Sure you can afford 300 pound? If not, wtf are you even doing in /hpg/, fix your life first.

Good multibit dac in range ~$1k to $3k to pair with GS-X Mk2?

Don't reply without link to measures

Dac and amp. Price range £280~£300. Headphones HD600.

Modi multibit.
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-modi-mb-technical-measurements.2603/
Why you set a minimum price, I have no idea. The Multibit is considered the better sounding multibit among all the schiit ones too, for some reason.

Magni 3 + some known good ~$20 chink sable usb stick DAC.
Or the modi multibit, if you believe DACs make a difference.

is JDS Labs OL DAC any good? it seems to measure well and has external power.

idk, people on audiosciencereview posted a measure of modi and the jitter looks all fucked up.

Could you guys recommend me a pair of in-ears headphones that last? Sound quality isn't much of an issue, but my budget lies around 45 euros. I've no idea how much money I've blown on cheap headsets that don't last longer than 3 months.

These will be plugged into my Iphone 6 and as I said, sound isn't the main concern here.

Multibit is a meme and schiit™ dacs measure like schiit™

if you want objectively better performance regardless of audibility, the benchmark dac1 is a better choice

Tfz series 2,3 or 4

magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/agd-nfb11-28

Is the Hifime Sabre 9018 worth £70 or should I just get the £40 Hifime Sabre UAE23?

I could only find ER3SE online and it doesn't even seem to sell here anymore. But ER4SR does look pretty attractive for $100 more.

ER3SE is a new product. ER4SR isn't exactly bright but it's got really good treble.

How much am I missing out on using my hd6xx unamped?

>Multibit is a meme
1-bit converters are hobbled by stability concerns and limit cycles. Significant out of band noise and extreme slew tend to require high order filters to reject.
But the thing people call multibit is something else and is at best ill suited for audio.
>DAC1
Discontinued.

Are you wanting in loudness? The function of an amplifier is to increase level.
Secondary function is buffer.

Yeah, this had the premium shipping available
Is this not the 2017 edition though? Does that even make a difference?

Even my phone can power them to an almost-uncomfortable level. I know they're 300-ohm impedance, so I thought they required an amp to get their full sound character.
Even unamped, I'm impressed at the level of detail I hear. Coming from beats, you can hear details you simply couldn't on my other headphones.

Oh wait nvm I'm dumb it said this version launched like under a month ago in the desc
aliexpress.com/store/product/Earmax-Silver-Plated-Earphone-Cable-with-Remote-Microphone-Replace-Wire-for-Shure-SE215-SE315-SE425-SE535/1805757_32616726213.html
I can use these wiith the tennmak pro, right?

>Budget
No more than 200, maybe a little more if worth it.
>Location
México
>Source
pc
>Comfort level
I'll be using them for long periods of time, so comfortable headphones would be nice.
>Sound signature
warm
>Type of headphone
>Open or closed
These I don't care about.

I mostly listen to hip-hop or alike music with a lot of bass, but I listen to classical music or jazz sometimes too. Also I don't like flashy designs, I'd prefer simple-looking headphones, but that's the least important thing compared to the other points.

Just seen pic related with my HD600.
That was a great ep.

That's why I say it's a meme. They're taking chips that aren't designed for audio and doing EE backflips to make them sorta work. High order filters are only a problem when they're improperly implemented

The only Delta sigma alternative that may offer something better is fpga but in my experience theres is little/no difference between contemporary chord offerings and a well designed DS dac.

Also you can get dac1s on refurbished with warranty for under $1000 from benchmark, but the dac3 is still the only expensive dac worth buying imho.

stop posting chinese pedophile cartoons I cannot look at this thread when I'm on the bus

the trick is to not give a shit, you're on a bus not at a job interview