3D Printer General

3D Printer General

Anyone own a printer, want one, waiting on one to come in?

What is your favorite use of it so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yz10C0U6tM0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm waiting for someone to give me one.

Lol

I bought a monoprice dual extruder a few years ago, based on the flash forge creator x, and it was like all support dropped off the face of the planet for it. Computer sees it as a Replicator but no way to install drivers on my computer so it can connect with the printer to update firmware. Only software that reliably outputs the stupid .x3g code (Which apparently only Flashforge/Makerbots use) is the Makerbot Print software which is garbage and produces terrible slices.

So I just went with a CR10 and waiting on that. $300 effectively for a giant 400x400x400mm print bed that plays nice with Cura and literally every other software and has a huge cult following for years is so much better than this POS.

Can't even fucking use the left extruder anymore since no software wants to support it

>brother gets new printer
>tells me his old one broke
>it'll cost 65% of the original cost to fix according to company

3D Printers are pretty cool and it's pretty awesome that if you take the time you can build your own 3D printer. I mean you just need some stepper motors, some fans, extruder parts like a heated head, some rails with linear actuators and some sort of control system like an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.

I mean ultimately all you need to do is get the printer to read the .g code, move the print head to the correct (X,Y) coordinate and repeat for Z = 0. Then move up some fixed Z distance based on whatever your layer height is and repeat.

Just super cool and I'm just excited that it's in the weird medium between being commercial enough that companies are still putting out printers and supporting them and not so commercial that they all have properietary filament and other bullshit practices

Before anyone buys a printer go to shapeways and see how much your designs cost to print and get shipped to you. Oh don't have any designs? Then don't buy a printer!

>this so far has stopped me

I literally just bought a 3d printer so I can prototype Teensy HID controllers. It would be dumb for me to order from shapeways because i'm going to have multiple revisions of the same part and shipping is going to take too long.

teensy lc was only 16 bucks on amazon, its available cheaper elsewhere too. 26 button inputs and you can do analog support too. I was looking at psp joysticks on amazon for ~$2 each.

The first HID controller i'm designing is a head mounted htc vive controller to plug into the vive's usb port, for extra flight controls in Elite Dangerous.

Hopefully the 3d Printer makes it easier to design out the case and mounting brackets to clip to the vive.

Shipping doesn't take that long. Especially factoring in your labor in getting your stuff to print right. But justify blowing your money how you want

Shipping takes long enough that it makes rapid prototyping impossible.

I know it would be a waste for me to get one.
I have access to printers at work and I barely use those.
My first thought when I saw the 3D printers were to make my own warhammer figures but then I started to do 3D modelling and quickly gave up on something that complex.

You just buy 1 model and 3d scan it in.

But this is a good example of where you WOULD want to source that out. If you're going to print out a design thats already been developed and tested then you dont need to own a 3d printer. You only need to own a 3d printer if you are the one creating the new design.

FUkkkkk I might buy one for christmas

I really want a laser wood cutter to make wooden mechanical animals/robots (currently make them out of lego or cardboard).

What's the minimal laser cutter to sort out cutting plywood?

youtube.com/watch?v=Yz10C0U6tM0

I dont know but my dick is hard now.

i own one for custom project enclosures. i got tired of having a couple dimension sets to choose from so now i print my own. i've made other shit though, including my current wallet when my old one wore out.

>wooden mechanical animals/robots
Making mechanical parts which rely on tolerances, for function and efficiency, out of a material that has a horrible coefficient of expansion seems like a really bad idea.

Dude they just scuttle around.They are art/toys not Boston mechanics weapons platforms.

It looks great doesn't it. I want the designs in my head to be formed into lovely tactile substances. Lego is pretty great to be honest but not good enough to exhibit.

jokes on you that's what happened to me today. frankly I cant fucking configure this thing, when trying to move in x or y direction it just moves diagonally

I thought brother printers were pretty reliable though

I bought at Anet A8 from GearBest a few weeks ago and it just arrived 2 days ago.
It went together easily and the first print was of OK quality.
My filament and 3D print surface should arrive today so I'll calibrate it again and hopefully print some upgrades for much better prints.

Pic related is an upgrade I'm looking to do in the future. The joints are 3D printed and the metal costs about £50 in total.

There's a delta printer at my work but I've not used it yet.

>buy 3d printer
>copy parts
>build 3d printer
>return old printer for refund

by the way you know there's a 3d printing general on /diy/ right?

No I didn't but what's wrong with discussing 3D Printers on Sup Forums?

that's my reason not to get one really, take me forever to get a design done.

I'm happy with Shapeways quality, and if I buy a 3D print I want one that's equal or better than Shapeways.

Each have their purpose. Personally I like printing my own stupid gadgets and toys and useful tools (Like clips or tools that are basically simple designs but make things so much easier)

3D printers are bretty useless for uncreative faggots only wanting to own a meme machine. Do not get one if you are not into prototyping shit

got 5 ultimakers in the institute to work with.
Shit is cash

Because /diy/ actually know what they're talking about?

I want a decent printer, but I don't want to spend too much money and at the same time I don't want to end up with a DIY cardboard tier ghetto printer.

Any suggestions besides killing myself?