Does what is says. Requires root access

Other urls found in this thread:

f-droid.org/app/org.blokada.alarm
f-droid.org/app/org.smssecure.smssecure
simplemobiletools.github.io/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

icecat mobile

>Nextcloud
what else, are you gonna host your valuable files on someone elses servers lmao?
>primitive ftpd
because mtp sucks a container ship of dicks
>DNS66
rootless adblock

>FOSS apps
Why would I use inferior software made by communists?

Because comrades are far superior to western numales and pajeets

F-Droid version 0.102

Is there a decent open source weather app?

Almost everything on that place is good.
I am so glad that I joined the foss crowd it aint even funny I was getting sick by pajet apps.

Hello sir can u ples rate my app to 5 star? Ples buying PRO wersion for no ad

>Red Moon
>Amaze
>Open Camera
>Cache Cleaner
>Obsqr

>DNS66
Bless you kind user

>DNS66
long shot, but would you happen to know how it compares to adguard? seems like it works via the same trick, so i'd expect about the same using default hosts

>Atomic
Grandson of Yaaic, best IRC client.
>Ghost Commander
Orthodox file manager with plugins for FTP, SFTP, CIFS, and others.
>Riot
Matrix client.
>K-9 Mail
Best client on Android, solid GPG support too.
>Termux
An entire GNU environment that runs in a self contained prefix like pkgsrc, complete with apt-get, bash, gcc, vim, and emacs. No root required. Addon apps include Android integration and ricing. Turns your tablet or Chromebook into a full dev box.
>Android CUPS Print
Print from the network without (((Google Cloud Print))).
>Syncthing
Self hosted, secure file sync. It's in most distros' repositories so setting up a sync server is trivial.

Hacker's Keyboard allows you to press "tab". Can't even figure out if it's possible with stock keyboard.

Someone recommend a good weather widget which doesn't require location permission (i.e. location can be set manually)

Simple Weather
design kinda sucks, but it just werks

AdAway
AfWall+ - adds iptables rules to restrict individual applications from connecting to the internet (so you can e.g. use a botnet keyboard but block all attempts to connect to the botnet)
Amaze
andOTP - 2fa
Antox
Calendar
Hacker's Keyboard - although not for daily use
K-9 Mail
LibreTorrent
OsmAnd - maps
MuPDF
NewPipe
oandbackup
OpenKeychain - PGP
Orbot
Orfox
I2P
PaperLaunch
SearchBasedLauncher
Silence
Swiftnotes
Termux
Yalp Store

the ultimate superior app
ios

I recently installed Fdroid and Silence and a few others, really enjoy them. Is there a way to replace my default phone app? What would be good to use

Timber
Amaze
AnySoftKeyboard

Open Camera is useless for a lot of devices.

Calculator++
A calculator with a proper smartphone interface.

>Open Camera is useless
I just tried it on my phone works better and has more options that the default app and any other free app i have tested.

Doesn't work for the front facing camera on mine, the picture is dark as fuck for some reason.

check the iso maybe is too low and see if the exposure is locked.

Well, I just tried the app again and it works. Although this time I downloaded it from play store and not fdroid. Maybe my device had an issue on the older version.

privacy friendly weather on f-droid

Which keyboard for daily use? Gboard is just not aligned properly for me
hacker's keyboard comes close

AnySoftKeyboard, just change the layout to "keyboard with symbols". Absolutely best keyboard experience I had. If only I could customize the exact location of each symbol on long press and remove some that I don't use.

If the same app is available in the Play Store and F-Droid, which one do you go with? And does the latter one get updates sooner?

Not the other user but is doesn't have dual language support like swiftkey right?

You can add dictionaries and new words to it, it supports all common Latin letters and symbols even on English keyboard and you can add a swipe gesture to change the keyboard language, so it kinda does support dual language. You can also add keyboards to it, it supports German, Spanish, Russian, Czech, Greek and a few more. But yeah, it doesn't support as many languages as GBoard or Swiftkey and these language packs must be downloaded additionally and are community made.

i have a question about firefox on android but don't want to make a thread about it:
do pre-5.0 andoid version of firefox 57 are the same in terms of speed and security or they are kind of like 56 bc they can't do the same?
what are the differences between ARMv8, ARMv7 and IA-32?

Vanilla Music. I've tried almost every music played on FDroid and plenty on the Play Store, none was as good. Apparently browsing by Genre -> Artist -> Album is weird, most players didn't even have Genre support.

Also AnySoftKeyboard, I love the arrows it uses to move along the string.

Best FOSS epub reader?

Does it support swipe/gesture typing?

Does it support Music FX?
I want to hook up Viper4Android with DDC/convolver to my earbud spec.

Good question, I'd like to know this too

F-droid if possible, because the play store depends on play services which I've got blocked with afwall 99% of the time. So it's a pain to have to unblock it.
Then there's Yalp store I use for apps which aren't on F-droid, but despite being in active development it can still be pretty clunky at times. F-droid is just a lot easier to use.

I don't mind not being on the bleeding edge of updates, especially since >90% of the time the app isn't security critical and there are no obvious flaws (like missing features or bugs) that I'm impatiently waiting to be fixed.

Commie role-playing, that's cute.

What can termux do that other emulators can't? I tried installing screenfetch but it said unknown command after apt-get

Fleksy is the best thing since sliced bread. It's got pretty much everything you'd expect out of a keyboard like dictionaries, themes, language support plus the added advantage of swipe controls, and a text editor

AnySoftKeyboard is the correct answer.

I use either fleksy or minuum depending on my mood. They're both great

If Atomic added chat logging, it would be the best Android IRC client. There us another on FD that has logging, but is pretty buggy compared to Atomic.

>he doesn't know anything about linux

Anysoft keyboard never worked for me.
They claimed to have a t9 option, but it didn't work at all.

Teach me senpai

Oh god, you use T9?
Nevermind, stick with your keylogging my dude.

Play Store / Yalp, or directly from github. Fdroid takes a week to update apps and the fdroid app is so buggy that it's borderline useless. By downloading from play store you also contribute 0.01$ to the developer.

>apps

There's also Blokada for adblocking.

f-droid.org/app/org.blokada.alarm

I have made a short list based on droid-break.info suggestions for my next Android gulag-free device:

>File manager:
Amaze or Ghost Commander (?)
>Keyboard:
AnySoftKeyboard
>IM:
Conversations
>VoIP:
CSipSimple / Linphone
>Multimedia:
VLC / Vanilla Music / NewPipe
>Mail:
K-9
>Calendar:
Etar (or AOSP calendar)
>Note taking:
???
>Maps:
OsmAnd / Transportr (???)
>Cloud:
Syncthing, DAVdroid* (CardDAV + CalDAV) *unsure
> Office:
LibreOffice Viewer (?)
>PDFs:
MuPDF vs. Document Viewer vs. FBReader (?) (TBD)
>Security:
KeePassDroid, FreeOTP (?)
>Ad-blocker:
DNS66

What are your thougths about my list? How can I improve it?

Also: to download apps that are not on F-droid (such as Firefox), is aptoide a good alternative to the Play store?

>NewPipe

I recommend downloading the APK from the official site of the app since it gets newer versions faster than F-Droid.

For messaging, Silence is recommended.
f-droid.org/app/org.smssecure.smssecure

Firefox is on F-droid, called Fennec. It's just a repackaged Firefox by the F-droid guys.
FreeOTP did not receive any updates in a long time. AndOTP is a good alternative.

Also the Simple line of apps is on F-Droid for those looking for no frills apps:

simplemobiletools.github.io/

>>AdAway
>Does what is says. Requires root access
Tried this, but I still got "sponsored content" on many apps, and the rest I use don't have ads.

Useless app.

Im sorry but PowerAmp+Viper4Android is still the best.
Nothing can match them in options and Lucky Patcher is free for download.

Can confirm, it doesn't work

Then you probably have Google play services installed. Google made a workaround against blocking ads. The only way to adproof your phone now is to uninstall anything Google related.

>because mtp sucks a container ship of dicks
it really does. On my previous system i had a working configuration with mtp, now on the current i just use adb push and adb pull. mtp is cancerous.
>DNS66
I used it a few weeks and installed it then on the phone of my dad, its perfect.

>Silence
Will look into that!

>AndOTP
Cool, thanks for the info!

>Then you probably have Google play services installed
Everyone has. Not having it breaks too much.

I was thinking about getting LineageOS for MicroG to break free from Google Play.
Is anyone here using LOS+ug?

I have DNS66 running right now and I still get ads in YouTube (using it as a test app that's all)

Besides running YouTube, what am I doing wrong that I still see ads with DNS66 running?

I'm using Lineage but after some time I just gave up and installed google services.

Might be a stupid question, but is there a way to make NewPipe the default app for opening YouTube links?

Uninstall YouTube?

Jewtubes apps can't be blocked by the likes of adaway or dns66 its built into the very app. Get yourself nextpipe or a patched version of youtube.

Ads i mean.

What the hell does it break? Everything works fine without it, what are you talking about.

Download NewPipe or SkyTube

Just updated FDroid, what the fuck happened to it? Looks just like the playstore now, and has 'recommended apps' and shit.

Also newpipe is shit now, it shows the youtube trending page and makes youtube remember my watched videos, will probably downgrade to an older version.

>NewPipe
>K9
>DAVdroid
>Transistor

Yeah, works perfectly fine. I've been without gapps for months

Are you an idiot? You can make your home page a blank page and you can choose not to remember history. History is kept locally anyway. Both features are good, why are you autistic?

Use F-droid v 0.102.3
Disable History and the trending page in settings.

I'm also not a huge fan of the new ui but it is faster for me & ultimately hitting the magnifying glass to install apps isn't that hard.

I know I can do that, but the trending page shows videos in my language, which means it sends my location info to youtube. Also watching a few videos showed similar ones as recommendations even for unrelated videos. But maybe that was just me.

I like SkyTube's UI but it's missing the play in background feature.

Swiftnote, Yalp Store

Can't go wrong with MuPDF

Transportr is only good if it supports your city. I live in London and it's useless compared to the official tfl.gov.uk planner. OsmAnd is a superior google maps replacement so it's always useful.

I've been using Keepass2Android and it's great, but it's not on f-droid unfortunately.

Uninstalling gplay services does break things, but what I did was block it using afwall. Almost everything works just fine that way.

The things that don't work are mostly stuff that relies on Google maps, like Uber. The one time I had to book one, I just unblocked it, then blocked it again later.

I am battery paranoid
does DNS66 consume battery ?

No. Even if it did consume some battery ads still drain much more. It's estimated that ads cause your phone to drain 30% faster.

What he said. It does use power (as per any app), but it uses fuck all, and saves you a lot when you're using cellular due to transferring less stuff.

Worked. Thanks, user.

>I don't know how IP addresses work

Is their an alternative client for spotify? The apotify app in itself is a complete garbage music player (lol dumb sync from your desktop shit for local giles, and it doesn't allow you if the song is not available in your region).

Or hell, is there an alternative to spotify? They fucked something up in a database migration recently and a lot of music that was previously available, and is still available to other regions, isn't available to the US region. I've had to report all kind of music for not being available because of this, usually it's never looked at, I've gotten a few albums released though.

>paying for a streaming service

>streaming music
fucking retard

Why is MTP so bad? It's so crap that you can only do one thing at a time, even browsing directories whilst copying a file is a no-no. Also it can just stop working for no apparent reason mid-transfer and I'll have to reattach my phone and start again.

Happens with every phone I've had on every machine I've used.

how does DNS66 compare to minminguard?

Also it doesn't work on kitkat :/

posting my own

>AnySoftKeyBoard
best keyboard, can quickly switch between a regular keyboard and a terminal keyboard.
also has loads of settings and themes.

>oandbackup
FOSS alternative to titanium backup

>DAVDroid
backup your contacts, without google.

It's free to me, so why the fuck not? Next time just don't say anything.

next time don't bitch when using an inferior product

Are you going to tell me what the superior product is? Let me guess, you don't know...

It probably is private trackers and shit

DNS66 doesn't require fucking around with Xposed.

Try Blokada, also on F-Droid, if DNS66 doesn't work on your device.

I do prefer them; actually owning a copy of the music I listen to. But all the ones I've used in the past have been shut down, or worse yet had some kind of usage restrictions (like down/up ratio limits), and I'm kinda tired of having the keep up. What is the new meme with private trackers anyway?

If you're unfortunate enough to have a phone with a locked bootloader like I am (fuck you, AT&T), you can use Blokada instead of AdAway. It just werks right out of the box, and I can confirm that it doesn't make the battery drain any faster than normal.

isn't that shit botnet?

I might be wrong, but youtube giving me a custom trending page depending on my IP location would also mean they remember my session info and give 'better' recommendations based on what I watch, which is they kind of behaviour I avoid using the official app for. But I haven't noticed this kind of behaviour when using newpipe before so I guess it somehow prevents youtube from keeping session info.