Phone plateau when?

when can I expect smart phone tech to plateau? will 10 nm CPUs, bezelless OLED displays and 5G be the standard for years to come?

Other urls found in this thread:

fastcompany.com/40468468/the-debate-over-neighborhood-zoning-could-hold-up-fast-5g-wireless-for-years-to-come
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends on where you live. If you're a yuropoor then 5G and affordable flagships will not be standard for a long ass time.

we had GSM & LTE first and the EU has plans about 5g
i'd say about 2020-2025

It has already. Most innovation is just aesthetics or anti-consumer shit (no headphone jack, no removable batteries).

Why do you think so? There's a number of innovative features beyond the basic specs that are yet to get widespread.
>pressure-sensitive displays like one in iphone or actual 3d touch like in scrapped Lumia McLaren
>edge sensitivity
>iris scanners (s7, windows hello)
>depth sensing cameras, infrared depth detection, all of the tasty stuff about google tango
>built-in 360 camera, using both the front and rear sensors at the same time

It's either shit or meme stuff. It's nothing that really affects the end user experience other than some quirky thing to show off to your friends.

you think, until you want to send your friend a 3d scan of figurine you liked at a store so you could print it at home, but everything crumbles at the tardiness of your phone

I don't expect a nolife understand the joy of scanning physical things and sending them to your friends hanging out at Facebook Spaces.

I'm sure that's a feature that's going to catch on.

I'd say it already kinda has the new phones are not much faster than the older ones. They are using gimmicks to sell them now.

you're just mad that it's not C.U.T.E anime-ojis for you or rare pepes that are offered on the iPhone X
don't be a poop emoji

About 5 years ago.
Phone technology is shit and all programmers involved are bad at their job.

you guys had it first but that doesn't mean consumers massively adopted it first.

I hope the resolution is better than that

Smartphones as a service
You know it's coming

The Sony phone is the only good looking phone in that picture, all the rest are curvy shit.

>no one will remember the Xperia XZ1 when whatever iPhone does this

Pressure sensitivity is possible with current tech but it doesn't work too well. Apple brought it to the mainstream and I'm glad for that.

Some Sony ph

FUCKING TOUCHSCREENS

Some sony phones (eg: Sola, SP) support hover interactions. Not really useful as it is right now, though it helps browsing some webpages which require mouseover for navigation.

True. The difference between a 2010 smartphone and a 2013 one is huge. Not so much when comparing 2014 devices to 2017 ones.

i expect it to slow down soon until wearables and eventually implants

If you are using your phone like a normal person to fuck bitches and communicate with business colleges none of that matters

We've already hit a phone plateau. Companies are just making shit up now, nothing really useful or revolutionary has been introduced in the last 4 or 5 years.

I have a moto 4 16gb I bought outright for $175 brand new

I can't come up with a reason to buy a new phone even though I could afford a pixel or iphone x if i even wanted either a little bit

>>iris scanners (s7, windows hello)
the fuck good is this

really i want to know

5G will probably not be deployed much in places like the US. 5G operates at a higher frequency, meaning that it doesn't go through stuff as well and that the range is similar to wifi. This means we need 5G stations more or less fucking everywhere. US cellphone operators have barely deployed 4g, they sure as heck aren't putting in 5g.

Oh and the zoning situation is hell:
fastcompany.com/40468468/the-debate-over-neighborhood-zoning-could-hold-up-fast-5g-wireless-for-years-to-come

The new galaxy phones have an iris scanner to authenticate you.
Windows hello like apple's Face ID scans your face in 3D using infrared light to authenticate you.

IPHONE FOREVER EXISTS

JUST ITS ON SPRINT LMAOO

>The new galaxy phones have an iris scanner to authenticate you.
>Windows hello like apple's Face ID scans your face in 3D using infrared light to authenticate you.

a $200 phone takes .3 seconds to unlock with a code

is it worth spending another $800 for that feature?

it makes no difference to 99% of people

I agree

the development surely has slowed down but we haven't truly reached plateau until new flagships feature nothing noteworthy new.

>Some Sony ph
what did he mean by this?

>phone plateau when?
Snapdragon 800 series already achieved this.

The same way Sandy Bridged achieved it on desktop.

The only difference is Microsoft knows users are retards and need to be forced updates, whereas Google is a fucking pussy and bends over to mobile carriers.

the 810 was/is a clusterfuck

Literally useless pleb-tier shit.
How about bigger batteries, multi OS compatibility, better camera sensors and firmware, physical keyboard/other attachment options?
And for fuck sake more diversity in general design which for last 3-5 years is ctrl-c/ctrl-v shit.

Smartphones have already plateu'd.
They've been adding useless shit for the past 4 years.
There is literally no reason to spend more than 300$ on a smartphone nowadays. The experience is practically the same.

you can get xiaomeme phone for cheaper then 200 bucks and those have fingerprint scanners which are even faster to unlock and less involved than entering a code.

Do people stream 4K movies on their phones or for what purpose is 5G desirable

they will probably get a little thicker, then stop improving for a while, then become wearable, then that will need a lot of improvement eventually becoming part of an ar system, then after a long time become implants

Higher medium efficiency usually means less latency and I sure would like that. Better speeds are always welcome too.

At the end, with proper, efficient chips, a faster network translates to better battery life because your devices spend less time waiting for stuff to load and more time idling or in deep sleep.

Didn't the XZ Premium get some flak because it didn't look like all the other phones or some shit like that?

But the majority of people are plebs, and the majority of the market dictates what the manufacturers would do.

If it were feasible we would have disposable phones that last 24 hours. Everything is on an account in the botnet and when the time is up, just NFC scan the old phone with the new one and throw it away. $20 for a basic, $50 for an iPhone Trash. That way you don't have to worry about broken screens or batteries dying, just fill the landfills.

you mean if your murrican?

Yes, USAssholes hate on Sony phones because they don't look like a Samsung

In my opinion, theyre amont the most unique and good looking, even if a little too blocky

>better camera sensors

I want this. Why can't we have another PureView based on Android? Why do I have to switch platforms if I wanna enjoy an extraordinary camera?

So a Moto z then?

Yeah I already have one.