Why do YOU use Linux?

Why do YOU use Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WO23WBji_Z0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't

Because it's literally shit. The only good thing on Linux are the coreutils and they run fine on windows anyway. Linux is a shitty, meme OS.

I got sick of Microsoft's shit.

because i hate microsoft and apple

For daily use. Mainly I use computers for software development.

I just like it better

What happened to Sup Forums. Tons of Applefags and Winfags, people who buy in to the botnet.

microsoft cucked me one too many times

I like to have options for when microsoft finally turns its OS simultaneously into adware and botnet.
Wait...

short answer,Easy and free alternative for windows

Because fuck the botnet

Sup Forums became mainstream and average poster quality has been decreasing.

Keep in mind that it's the weekend

can't stand windows, don't want to buy a mac BSDs aren't convenient enough

Because I completely lost my trust in all proprietary software.

Who knows what some closed source software does with my data?
Why should I pay with my privacy when I can have the same thing for free, better and created by like-minded people that I can trust?

For me, it's a very easy choice, in fact the only logical choice.
Everything else is just masochistic.

I was never much of a Windows person. With Linux, if something breaks you at least have some hope of finding and fixing problems. Everything in Windows is too hidden and abstract for my feeble brain.

Because it's easy :^)

Winbloat is too bloaty for my C2D. Yes, I'm poorfag.

i find it easier to use

Because fuck Microsoft, really fuck Microsoft and fuck Windows.
Even LTSB is bad, with as much shit removed from it as possible, updated disabled, windows defender disabled, and as much telemetry as only possible removed, it's still shit.
It's slower, even on modern hardware, and it does not offer me enough customization at all.
Multiple workspaces, something I use a lot is implemented so poorly, with incredibly counterintuitive shortcuts.
I is not ugly, W10 is not ugly at all, but even stuff as simple as changing the appearance of certain system elements is abyssmal, it's overly difficult for absolutely no reason.
PowerShell is not as good as a normal fucking terminal and bash, cmd is garbage in general.
I keep W10 as dualboot on all my machines, and I found myself not even using it at all, last time I booted it was like 3~ months ago, there is simply no reason.
Most games that I enjoy I can simply run with wine or natively, all of my prefered software is free anyways so I can just use it on gnu/linux.
I use GNU/Linux because Apple is ridiculous, their OS is mediocore at best and their pricing is hilarious, so no reason for OSX at all.
Anything OSX can do, GNU/Linux can do better.
The only reason I could possibly think of for using Windows would be Photoshop/Visual Studio/muh gayms, of which I use none.
So in the end, I use gnu/linux because it's the best thing out there, there is simply nothing that's better so I stick with it, there is so much variety in distributions and software that anybody can find something they like.
Besides, I had W10 fail to apply an update (think about it, an OS you paid for fails to apply an update that is forced onto you) and went to bootloop for 8 hours constantly telling me to not reboot as it may damage the system, I spent 8 hours waiting for my piece of OS to launch so I could play a fucking game.
Microsoft, not even once.

more control
more customization
more options
system does what I want it to

The best days of Windows and OSX (or as you macfags now call it macOS) are behind it. Windows 7 was the pinnacle of Windows, while Leopard/Snow Leopard was for Apple. It's all been going downhill from here, while GNU/Linux is continuing to rise. I still hope they fix the shithole that is the Linux audio stack though.

i used linux for a few months as a kid before i went back reinstalling windows xp

>privacy
>easy to use
>FOSS
>package manager
>configurable

I've had 3 Windows 10 installs shit the bed after updates, this year. I'm not going through this bullshit ever again. Currently running Ubuntu and Antergos and I couldn't be happier.

Git, clang, gcc, cmake, bash, python, ruby, are an absolute nightmare on windows without VS. All of these just werk on linux.

partly this. being forced to install/restart for microsoft updates every time I boot the OS is retarded

Im german. We have weird tastes.

It's faster, easier to use, doesn't rape my GPU and hard drive while idle, isn't infected with a shit ton of freemium software to get most basic functionality, isn't infested by malware, isn't spying on me constantly, and you don't need to use activators or any other bullshit to make it work. MacOS and Linux are superior to windows in every way.

Because i'm a web developer

I can tell you why it's not my main OS but more like a side-project / hobby.
It's quite simple.
No matter how good your setup is, the hardware and drivers won't use its full power. Linux/GNU has a powerful kernel, but it's slower when it comes to GUI. I need FAST GUI to be happy. The day Linux becomes really fast, not sluggish, no flickers and no freezes. That's the day I no longer will use Windows.

ew go away, webdav

>I need FAST GUI to be happy
sorry you're retarded. I can do anything you can from a GUI from my terminal, likely faster and I probably have some way of automating it. how about you just stop being a brainlet and just learn how to interact with a shell?

Media/file/torrent server.

Playing Second Wind.

I would love a parody with this as lyrics of the following song.
Just let it sink in for a moment.
youtube.com/watch?v=WO23WBji_Z0

Id bought a Chromebook, knowing nothing about chromeos, and wanted to run non-google shit like Firefox/steam, so I found out how to install Ubuntu on it

These days, I'm so used to Linux, I usually just prefer it over other stuff. I dualboot windows for le vidya gayms meme, though

this.

i also use a custom rom on my phone, don't use any google play services and get my apps only from fdroid. the whole industry around apps and services makes me sick.

because X piece of hardware doesn't yet support freebsd

linux is a decent operating system in every non-desktop use case

It makes me a better human.
Yes, that's right. By not supporting asshole corporations, I am a better human than all those buttlickers that do

because I value my freedom and privacy

it's free as in freedom and has a lot of exclusive applications I use. it's also the best os for development

Because it's better than using the bash terminal in Windows 10.

I like computers and I enjoy toying with them, and I have found Linux to be a gold mine of possibilities. There's a lot to like, and even the things that aren't to like lead to learning experiences. Because I enjoy it so much, I generally have positive views on most technology and enjoy having an optimistic mindset. There are things I don't like about Windows and Apple, but I still wouldn't mind using either. I just generally prefer Linux because I enjoy the community involvement.

This may come off as strange to people on this board. Most people here aren't at all interested in technology and rather are desperate for something to bitch about.

Because I tried to stop connections from Microsoft servers to my Windows and I lost my every time I blocked the Microsoft's hosts I lost my connection.

*I lost my connection

You can check with Wireshark. Microsoft's fingers are always inside Windows users butts.

It's fun

this. gas the kikes.

The extremes these companies go through to serve you fucking ads really is insane. People giving up their privacy and security in exchange for ads, is even worse. The Equifax hack should be enough to drive this into the thick skulls of people , but I know it prrobably won't.

because it just works.

you sound like a shit human

You sound like someone who licks microsofts butt.
Do you like the taste of their shit in your mouth?

Because I couldn't get mingw to work on windows lmao

so fucking much this

feels good just to press one button and it'll compile and debug automatically whatever the language is, without opening fucktons of monstrous IDE

and also memejaro is fast as fuck on my shitty pc, and battery life is insane as well

Because its less of an arsepain with forced updates than windows is. Instead it has easy smooth package managers.

Because its RAID support doesn't suck.

Because its really efficient and versatile.

Because it hasn't decided to go privacy invasive botnet.

and yo, what do you use? is it ok to use vscode with add-ons installed? feels really great, but are there any alternatives? vim, emacs, ... ?

The same ad serving companies generally will not allow much ad serving or anything like it on THEIR machines.

Usually their infrastructure runs some linux with no strings attached beyond a paid support contract, doesn't it...

>killed textwrangler
>not killing all processes with one of the macos flaw
>also can't kill a process within top
kek

These are my reasons as well

Sorry, no cannibalism.

better window management, an update system that doesnt constantly fucking break and isnt coded by an incompetent company that cares more about MUH NUEUE FEATURES than they do about fixing bugs

sucks being retarded, I'm sorry for you.

You are an idiot who post pics without knowing the context. Now who is the retard shithead?

I haven't posted any pics, I'm not the one you quoted nigger

Wanted to learn something new

So you are just a shitposting retard? Good.

>3

J U S T
U
S
T

I installed it on my chromebook and now I have the a comfybook
Pic related

Because I'm unironically autistic.

Windows 10 is an absolute disgrace. Wincuck apologists have failed to convince it isn't as bad as it looks

He is right though, what is so nice about Linux that Windows and Mac OS lack?

We got jobs and couldn't afford to waste our time on the pile of bullshit that is Linux.

liar

(You)s in screenfetch threads.

Ads for win10 in my win8 taskbar
Package management
Way better for software development
Filesystem layout makes sense
Customizability
Everything just werks

Network stuff and a small server

I prefer / to \

free as in freedom

it took me all of like ~2hours of installing fedora to directly interact with skype text chatting, set up evolution to use exchange, fucking with MSO documents, dealing with kerberos single sign-on and mounting my Active directory provisioned smb home folder. hell if I had the AD password I could have joined it to the domain completely with a few easy commands.

this meme is fucking bullshit and you're just a brainlet retard.
it's not fucking ~200X anymore.

Just because I wanted to learn what Linux is like. To learn more about computers. Linux was one of those magic worlds I wanted to discover.

I mainly wanted to learn more about computers and programming, and the current state of Windows 10 is incredibly off-putting to me (i.e, dashboard ads, PRISM, etc.)

easy to make fun scripts and try stuff out before hosting it, without the complexity of using containers

It makes mundane shit more engaging

Windows is a bloated piece of shit
MacOS is nice, but my computer cant be turned into a hackingtosh, so Linux is the best option

Because I can