How many actually watched DVDs on their PC in the late 90s?

How many actually watched DVDs on their PC in the late 90s?

youtube.com/watch?v=Amhqdbj0vpQ

what do you mean, I still do.

only cucks use bluray

>some youtuber makes a video on "obsolete" technology
>soyboys make a thread to confirm their findings

In short yes,the rig with CD reader/burner,DVD reader and DVD burner/reader is still in use.
Yes those are 3 separate drives.

>dvd
>not vcd

I used to all the time when I was little

i never did watch dvd's on my computer
i got a ps2 before getting a computer dvd drive
i pretty much never got tv show dvd's, and i preferred to watch movies on a tv
for tv shows i just taped them off tv
i got anime over the internet, or from people at lan parties, my local video store didn't have much of a selection of anime

I don't think I've ever had a "legally obtained" piece of media. Other than just going to see the movie in the cinema it was always piracy and TV for me

>LGR and other nostalgia fagging youtubers will create new demand for old PC hardware when every soy boy who watches suddenly wants to build a retro PC

Makes me think if hoarding CRTs would be a good future investment. They're only going to become more uncommon and harder to find in good condition.

In the late 90s, not too many, since it required fairly high-end machines or dedicated MPEG2 decoder cards like you posted.

It became way more common in the early 00s though, once machines were strong enough for software decoding.

My first personal computer was a mac with a dvd drive. Also happens to be the last mac i ever owned.

only worth having a trinitron.
most crt are garbage.

inb4 penises

They're already extinct outside of e-waste dumpsters in central Illinois. Give it a few years and people will be paying out the ass for Trinitron TVs.

what are you trying to say?

cd/dvd/bluray drives may be dead but they are not forgotten

I never did. My first DVD player was the OG Xbox. My first Windows computer didn't have a DVD drive, but it did have a CD copier. This was in 2001.

Nah, I still use them. I had to buy a couple because I wrecked them ripping all my DVDs to Plex. Dreading the idea of doing my Blu-Rays.

Yep. Because it was the only way to watch them in the late 90s without paying out of the ass. Lots of prebuild PC bundles included DVD drives in their towers as the next big thing. My family bought into it and I picked up a small stack of DVDs for my birthday and that was the start of my DVD watching on that computer. When I got a PS2 the PC never got used for watching DVDs again...in fact by that time it was out of date...but even if it wasn't it would have been cucked by the PS2.

I used to have a Creative Encore Dxr2 back in the 90s. It came with a DVD version of Wing Commander 4.

I used to do that but then realized that there is no point. 98% of all movies I watch only once, nowadays with all the forced shit I dont even bother watching them the first time.

if its any good just download the mkv, watch then delete

I did, but my AMD Athlon was fast enough to decode it in software without an add in card.

I watch and if I like, I'll support by buying. Right now resting at 10TB of Media on my plex server.

i never even got into bluray, never owned any kind of drive, or discs
back in 2005 i was excited about the idea of 25/50GB discs, but hdd sizes kept getting bigger, and by the time bluray become affordable, i didn't have much of a use for 25/50GB discs

I am a Home Theater guy, so I got into BD in 07 right after the format war. If I buy a movie it's on BD.

i wasn't really interested in the HD video part, mainly just the file storage aspect
we didn't have an HDTV, not even in 2010 when i moved out of my parent's house. wouldn't be surprised if they still don't have an HDTV
hell, for a couple years my ps2 was the only dvd player in the house, they didn't care about picture quality. my mum watches most tv shows by recording them to LP VHS tapes first (again at least up to 2010)

i got broadband in 2006, but still only downloaded dvd rips for a while, these days i get bluray remuxes

>in the late 90s
dude, 3 years ago I buied DVDs...

I can't download remuxes, they'd take more than a few days.

pretty sure op means "who got into dvd's early", rather than "who used dvd's when they were relevant"
getting into dvd's in the 90's was not that common, the first time i ever saw a dvd was in 2000, at my rather well-off relatives' house

Congratulations, you are good goy

i don't exactly have screaming fast internet either (15/0.8), but i do know where you're coming from
even when i got broadband in 2006, that was still initially only a 4GB cap, i kept renting/copying dvd's for a while

3meg down 1 meg 1 if I am lucky. Usually it's 1 meg down because of congestion.

We got broadband around 2002, the best plan we could get from our ISP because my mom got addicted to Diablo II. The plan hasn't improved and is still the best I can get.

>soybro
...What?

>my mom got addicted to Diablo II.
at least that part is pretty awesome

>soyboy detected

i think it's a new version of "numale", which itself is basically like calling a guy a pussy, or an effeminate male

So it was more common than physical 4k bluray playback is on PCs today?

fuck shitty cuck e-celebs who bank off stolen nostalgia and ruin retro and used markets

2003 Samsung syncmasters were also great. As good as Trinitrons.

dvd's drm just required capable software, no fancy hardware requirements
the system requirements to actually play a dvd was too high initially, so you had to get an mpeg2 decoder card, a few years later cpu's were fast enough to do it in software

Wasn't that common until software decoders became the norm, and by that time gnutella was a thing.

you think I could afford a DVD player?

yea, not a large market for people wanting to get a dvd drive and an mpeg2 decoder card to play movies on a 15" computer monitor

>dude, 3 years ago I buied DVDs...

dude, 3 years ago I bought Laserdiscs.
dude, 3 years ago I bought VHS tapes.
dude, 3 years ago I bought Capacitance Electronic Discs.
dude, 3 years ago I bought Type II Chrome Dioxide cassettes.
dude, 3 years ago I bought vinyls.

oh wait, that last one actually happened.

What I don't get is the people who send him stuff for free. "PLEASE BE MY FRIEND!!! CAN I CALL YOU 'CLINT'?"

The only time I ever really saw them was at computer shows where they would demo their monitors using a hollywood movie.

shit wrong image

Our family Gateway PC came with a DVD-ROM in 1998 and using the gateway DVD player and a CRT monitor I've yet to find a DVD player that looked so good

I did, in the late '90s and into the early '00s. I was really into Japanese cars and animu and used to buy Japanese tuning/racing DVDs (Option, Best Motoring, etc.) and the PC was the only easy way of watching region locked stuff.

Pic related, my station circa '04 or '05.

so how the fuck does that vga passthrough shit work?

I had a DVD drive but not the decoder card, so I had to wait until I got my GeForce2 MX400 before I could watch DVDs.

The Decoder card (or a 3Dfx Voodoo card) takes in the VGA signal from the 2D graphics card, and just pipes it through the output port.
Until the Decoder or 3D accelerator was initialized, then it would cut ignore the input feed and output its own shit on the VGA port.

some expensive cards could mux the incoming VGA input with the whatever they were outputting (allowing windowed video playback or 3D)

magic
also by either switching sources (between the normal video card and the decoder) entirely for fullscreen, and if supported, by switching sources mid-scanline for windowed

Basically the decoder card layered the decoded mpeg on top of the VGA signal coming out of the graphics card

Basically yes, but with a stronger emphasis on the appearance of female features on males. Recently got popular because of that buzzfeed article where the 4 guys tested their T levels and they were all sitting at 1/4 to 1/3rd of what it should have been.

cpus were already fast enough to decode dvd video in realtime by the time the mx400 came out

oh, so it's more like a alternate version of 'twink'?

no it's yet another Sup Forumseddit buzzword because people already got used to being called "cuck" all day long

neet

Not me, First DVD player and first DVD-Rom drive I got both happened in early 00's. Now I do remember ripping/Encoding VHS tapes to VCD back in early 00s, before the rise of DVD Decrytor/DVD shrink,etc. I still got the capture/TV Card somewhere. Anymore though, while my pc does have a DVD-Burner, I never watch dvds on it, nor do I have a bluray player connected to my tv (still got a DVD player though). My dvd collection + shows I like are all streamed via Serviio and any new films I like (and my GF likes) I just torrent a few days after the release date. Certain franchise I'll buy and rip the dvd but I don't really do that much anymore.

I got a new Compaq PC in 1998 which came with a DVD drive, loved watching The Fifth Element on it.

Well, it was the pc novelty of the late '90. Seeing a movie on a pc? Nah . Too expensive in 98 .Many kept their vhs for at least 5 more years.

Watched my first dvd on my pc in 2001.taiwanese subtitled version of the Patlabor 2 movie. I still have it. Dvd drives got cheaper in 2001, my p3 866 was more than adequate to process mpeg2 (if i remember correcty a p2 450 was needed as bare minimum ).
No need to buy a tabletop dvd player, vhs was more convenient, you could rent / buy movies,but also record tv and video camera footage. But then the divx revolution happened.
Divx killed dvd after a couple of years, at least for the hardcore pc user. Decent quality movie on a cheaper cd. Many people did rent a dvd at Blockbuster, processed the mpeg file for 2 or 3 hours, and burned cheap 700 mb divx cds. Or videocd /s-video cd, just for trading at university , for people who didn't have a pc. Watching movies on a pc started with divx imo

yea, divx/xvid/mpeg4 rips were pretty popular for a number of years
while the cpu requirement was higher than dvd, there were still plenty of machines without dvd drives (or at least a dvd burner), as well as the fact that downloading a 700M file over a ~5-7G dvd remux was far more feasable
i got a dvd drive in 2004, between vhs and then, it was 700M dvd rips for me

oh, and not to mention, while they didn't look as good as a dvd, they at least looked better than vcd/svcd/vhs

it doesn't even sound offensive though. just funny like fuckboi

>soyboy
You have no taste in epithets.
"Cuck" is a much better insult.

Even then, I didn't watch movies on my PC. I had an Xbox that was modded and transfered rips to the internal drive and watched them on my TV with XBMC.

Sitting at a desk watching a movie isn't comfortable for me.

Some days ago it was a synonym for "macfag" only