FUCKING FUCK SHIT!

WHY THE FUCK DID I CONFIGURE IT RAID 0. WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING. FUCKING FUCK MY LIFE!!!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/byB0P9Or2ww
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_0
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RAID#RAID_level_comparison
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Did you seriously stripe it across all eight drives?

posting in an epic bread

I seriously did. Just because I wanted the extra 4TB. Fucking believe that? How stupid I was??? Fuck this shit.

>EIGHT drives in stripe

Oye', that's just the half of it. Last backup: 02-12-17. HAAAAAAA!!!! MADE MY WEEKEND!!! FUCKING A!

Include me in the screenshot.

The absolute madman

Thread theme
youtu.be/byB0P9Or2ww

My lab files, my VM's, a majority of my ISO's. All gone. It's gonna be a busy weekend for me. I'm gonna have get to work.

What a guy! Finest Sup Forums can offer. Good work.

Grate job OP

RAID 0 with no backups l m a o

why are you allowed money

>raid 0

>RAID 0
>the very antithesis of RAID
>ever using it
you brought it upon yourself.

>Raid 0 across EIGHT drives

*BRAAP*

That's a big raid, for 0

Mods
Sticky this

hello r/Sup Forums

was crashing the drive part of your plan?

Look on the bright side, your read speeds are probably insanely fast

>RAID 0
>across EIGHT drives
I don't even feel sorry for you. This is entirely your own fault

So what are you going to do with your new heating system?

crashing this RAID, with no survivors!

Please explain what's happening to a normie faggot like me

RAID -1 where you instantly lose all your data when.

Jews like OP need it.

We have a winner.
Next time go with zfs and a saner RAID configuration :^)

this please me a lot, i'm not the only moron who try to push his luck a bit to much

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_0

I don't see the problem. Just restore your backup. Losing a weeks worth of work does suck but it's not the end of the world.

OP, what the fuck were you thinking

serious question. why are you on Sup Forums?

Here if you don't know how wikipedia works

> Since RAID 0 provides no fault tolerance or redundancy, the failure of one drive will cause the entire array to fail; as a result of having data striped across all disks, the failure will result in total data loss. This configuration is typically implemented having speed as the intended goal.

Thats not haw it works.

Have we started the data corruption?

RAID has a mode called "stripe" where it distributes data in small chunks across many drives for improved read/write speed. It has no redundancy at all, and if one of the drives fails, the data is non-recoverable. Using it on eight drives increases the chances of losing your data eightfold (you do get 8x the linear read speed, but what's the point when HDDs are mostly limited by access time?)

Probably thought Sup Forums was the pc section for Sup Forums.
Or he's using clover that has Sup Forums as the default board.

This is an old meme from the pre-SSD era.

Basically if you split your files in several parts and place each one in a different HDD, you can access them in parallel. So 4 HHD means x4 the speed.

But if just one of your drives fail, you're basically fucked because all your files get irreversably corrupted.

Because I am interested in technology.
I own 3 Apple products and am thinking of buying another one. So as you can see, I'm not as much of a "normie" as I jokingly claimed.

Never go full retard..

What was even the point of striping eight drives instead of keeping them separate? Just put speed-sensitive stuff on a SSD.

Not who you're responding to, but since it's striped across multiple disks, how is that not a faster read time (most of the time, anyway)?

This thread is now ops AMA about raid - cos he knows shit

Oh, I see. Do hard-drives fail that often?
I've had several computers over a more than a decade and the HDD was never at fault.

>ama
Fuck off, please.

On a seriouser note, Is there recovery tools to get some of it back? Too drunk to Google and as a raid user myself (non-important stuff like OS) just curioys

Hard drives are on a bathtub curve in terms of failure rates.
A new drive is more likely to fail in the first few months, and surviving those the drive can be expected to function for years.
Occasionally a gentooman will tell you to buy slightly used drives to increase reliability.

Hurr durr I habe da no backup boos

durr durr

ffs get a real job

It's called 0 cause that's how much data you can recover after a drive failure.

I see.
I also realised that it's 8 hard drives, so a hypothetical 5% failure rate within the first year turns into a 40% failure rate within the first year, or something similar.

In other words - it's a really stupid idea if you've got sensitive data.

Thanks for the laugh OP

All drives will fail eventually. It's only a question of when. Best we can do is keep backups and make use of manufacturer warranties.

put the failed hdd in the freezer for a few hours and if it spins up you can copy your shit to another backup :^)

ACKSHUALLY it's 28% but still massively more than the rate for one drive.

>E I G H T

Inb4 they were seagates

There's proper mathematical theory for reasoning about propability, and it often seems counterintuitive when looked into, but since I'm not an expert on that I can't say how correct you are.
You're right it's stupid though.

Additionally, no RAID configuration should be concidered to be redundancy. All RAID is for high availability; the fault tolerance for a couple drives dying here and there offer no protection over software or RAID controller issues when using software/hardware RAID. No RAID setup should be assumed to fill the role of backup.

And because of how much IQ their users have. Someone post that image, you know.

unlucky man

OP, how long did this setup last before failing, and was your last setup also raid 0?

Well no since small chunk of every files in your hard disk is gone

so every file is always striped, no chance of a whole file being kept on one drive?

>8 drives

user that shit is more expensive than an SSD of equivalent size while also having a lower surivability rate.

or like in OP's case no chance of the file being on only the 7 good drives

what is the point of raid 0 vs just mounting 8 separate drives?

>inb4 seagates
This, OP, what were they?

get another board for the failed drive. maybe it still works and the data is still good

>25TBs of hdd storage is cheaper than 25TBs of SSD storage

do you need me to point out why you're retarded, or is this enough?

what is a real world speed gain?

is 10,far2 really best for home pc?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/RAID#RAID_level_comparison

It's called "RAID 0" because it's not actually a RAID solution.
If "RAIDs are NOT a backup solution", RAID 0 is the opposite of a backup solution. It's like wearing a duck costume in the duck hunting season and quack in front of hunters

Why would you RAID all the drives before throwing all the data away?

Opened up the case. Identified drive, hooked it up to my external USB enclosure, click of death. Fucking done. I'm just gonna refer to this as a lesson learned and rebuilt my whole entire lab all over again. I think i'm at the acceptance stage right about now.

Depends on stripe size. They range from 8kb to 128kb in powers of 2.

you have nothing to lose and everything to gain

i'll give you le gold my sir

02-12-17 is a super ambiguous date. Please use
ISO yyyy-mm-dd

>Using RAID on drives larger than 1TB

lel, just mount each drive separately, keep backups of user generated data, and keep a separately stored catalog for downloaded data.

Even on Raid 5, your Data isn't safe because of URE.

>has 3 apple products, is thinking to buy another one
>not as much of a "normie"
So you think homosexuality isn't normal in nowadays?

>I'm Thinking So Different with all those Apples
>much nerd
Cringe.

Are they fucking seagates?

Enjoy your clunky piece of shit ThinkPad :))
So little regard for beautiful engineering and design, technological quality that you settle for Chinese garbage just because you can't afford proper equipment.

What's wrong with homosexuality?

fucking dumbass.

You are easily the dumbest person on Sup Forums.

>eight drives in raid 0
holy shit dude

>I seriously did. Just because I wanted the extra 4TB. Fucking believe that? How stupid I was??? Fuck this shit.

I don't understand what you mean by this

why did you need a 8 drive raid 0 4tb array?

>Oye', that's just the half of it. Last backup: 02-12-17.

unwise decision is unwise

please explain to use why you had your "lab" on an un backed up 8 drive RAID 0 array of mechanical drives?

Wanting the extra 4tb is in reference to choosing a RAID without any fault tolerance instead of picking one that uses a little bit of space on the drives to allow recovery.

>Wanting the extra 4tb is in reference to choosing a RAID without any fault tolerance instead of picking one that uses a little bit of space on the drives to allow recovery.

oh

unwise

F.

Posting in retarded thread.

Thank you, OP, for this thread.

>what is a real world speed gain?

Depends on the task. Since only linear r/w speed is increased, the more linear reads your stuff needs, the bigger the gain will be (but stuff that reads/writes randomly might see no improvement at all)

In any case, there is no point in using RAID 0 when SSDs are available.

>striping 8 fucking drives
>without backing your shit up consistently
You had it coming, you fucking dumbass.

>I own 3 Apple products and am thinking of buying another one.
10/10

This now an Apple Shill Thread.

What OP meant by "lab files" are the school projects, or assignments, etc.