/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Ask your stupid questions here. Use a search engine such as the following that respects your freedom before you ask us, but we all know google is the best otherwise :')

searx.me/
startpage.com/
duckduckgo.com/ (people call the owner of < a jew tho)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/UGREEN-Transfer-Enclosures-Printers-Cameras/dp/B00P0E394U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511083636&sr=8-4&keywords=transfer cable&dpID=41ab0wg8ZFL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
linkedin.com/in/williamhgates
veracrypt.fr/en/System Encryption.html
danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2744270
play.google.com/intl/en-US_it/about/giftcards/
youtu.be/QNMqxiZVxmw
useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php).
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How is this allowed on a blue board?

Sup Forums's most user-active threads are battlestation threads that contain a lot of pictures of pc/gaming workplaces.

I figured that in Sup Forums's case, there should either be a pc ricer thread or a smartphone UI design thread where everyone contributes with their posts.

I see neither, so what's the main chunk of user-activity on Sup Forums where people contribute visually?

IIRC the desktop threads were banished to /trash/, where they became loli threads (without explicit content, not to say that will prevent deletion there).

Dont worry, Aquas are blue.

Thanks for the quick reply.
One look into /trash/ revealed that I will probably not find a thread about customizing my smartphone's UI with some niche tricks.
I guess those times are over.

Where can I find the non censored version of this?

What's the deal with substratum?

Every time an app updates (which is fairly often for some Google apps) it breaks the theme.

I swear I'm probably doing something super fucking retarded but I can't figure it out for the life of me.
I would appreciate it if someone could tell me where I'm being stupid here. Language is C++ btw.

Sorry, I'm not really in the know on the history behind Sup Forums sharing content, but I've touched /trash/ before and I've seen "desktop" threads there which literally was just non-explicit loli, I'm sure the archives of Sup Forums and /trash/ both tell the tale of their progression. The only thread otherwise where I've seen photos are battlestation threads, and those sticker threads for laptops, possibly even decals for cars though that might just be ponyfag/ weeb reposts for cringe.

Assuming I have a job and make decent money, are there any antiviruses that are actually worth buying, or should I stick with the free version of Avast I'm running now?

Why is isalpha() returning two different values when I'm passing in the same character?
Only difference is in the first case I am passing a literal.

Responding to myself here. Also seen everyday carry threads (however they're called), there's the tpg (Thinkpad general for that brand of laptop), mkg (mechanical keyboard general), there's also /hpg/- a headphone general where people may share photos of their cans, I know I got a photo of Koss Portapros with aftermarket yellow ear pads that way, I've reposted it a few times cause they were so big and clearly soft, but there might be meta of it changing the soundstage of the cans or something. Sup Forums posts things here and there.

Is there a decent android app for DNS change with dnscrypt and maybe even dnssec?

Which works on a non rooted phone btw.

Nevermind, I figured it out.
I needed to #include
I'm not sure why that mattered though if someone would like to clarify.

My flash drive doesn't work anymore when I'm using rufus, and suddenly crashed.
please help

that's not true
Apple products take just a few weeks of saving up welfare payments
actually, the one friend I have who has an iphone is a neet and his family are pretty poor (raised by single mom) I think 3 weeks of centrelink are enough for an iphone 6

How may I make Nightly's download tab (about:downloads; ctrl + J) open in a new window instead of a new tab? Or for that matter is there a way to enable a loading bar to witness the progression of downloads in Nightly?

Too many times I've started saving one large pic followed by a smaller one, but the smaller one finishes first, so the Windows order is backwards. about:downloads being its own tab is useless for saving, so I always have to drag it out for its own window.

Looking for a transfer cable, is this cheap one with 5gbps transfer speed considered really fast?
amazon.com/UGREEN-Transfer-Enclosures-Printers-Cameras/dp/B00P0E394U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1511083636&sr=8-4&keywords=transfer cable&dpID=41ab0wg8ZFL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Who is this hydro nympho?

I was experimenting with different PIMs in VeraCrypt.
First time i changed it, everything went smoothly and operation was complete in 15 seconds.
Decryption on boot was pretty slow, so i decided to change PIM again.
But this time i left default value in Wipe mode: 3-pass, it was 1 pass when i did it the first time.

And here i am, 40 minutes after, and it still saying "Please wait..".
Should i wait more? Or should i just restart and maybe get ready to recover the system?

Question regarding this laptop I have lying around; the thing will no longer boot (no lights nothing), worked fine the other day but if I hold it close to my ear (specially when open) you hear a soft whine coming from the charger jack.

Could this be a malfunctioning charger jack? Is it worth it opening up to reseath the battery or would that e a waste of time?

Why is Aqua such a useless slut?

iTunes a shit. What's a good alternative music library manager/player for macOS? Preferably something with good metadata editing options and smart playlists.

why can't you make the menu bar permanent on macOS?
it's so annoying when you constantly have it popping up and hiding your tasks in the browser when using fullscreen mode
because you move the cursor a bit too high.
and not using fullscreen mode isn't an option either because then you have the window bar of the browser taking up space as well

Anyone have suggestions for free, privacy-respecting Android applications for the purpose of logging/journaling? I just need to be able to log measurements, take pictures, and write notes. Anything else is secondary.

What is the best way to root a phone?
I have this old Oneplus X here :)

Thank you

> logging/journaling
logging/journaling what? you mean the file journaling and logcat?

Logging my body development data. I may just be better off with a simple journaling app with the ability to attach pictures and export all of this data to my PC. Ideally, I would then be able to attach the data and pictures to a spreadsheet after exporting them to my PC. I question how effective the default memos program is, since the process to send individual audio clips recorded in it was very difficult in the past, and it renamed all of them to boot.

My wireless router is giving me shit lately. I've tried resetting the thing a few times, manually configured it, and I even tried changing the IP range so it wouldn't try to overlap the default gateway for whatever reason but still my laptop somehow loses the internet part of the wireless signal every 5 or 10 minutes. Is it utter shit? What are the chances that it's instead the wireless card on my laptop the one that's dying, instead?
The router is a Technicolor 8305C or something like that.

Has anyone here used DriverPack Solution? I'm suspicious to programs like these that claim to be able to install any driver to any Windows computer but I'm also not too enthusiastic about spending all my free time trying to find random drivers to computers owned by people that don't know anything about their computers or hardware.

I've used something similar a long ass time ago. The thing to look out for is if it properly uninstalls old drivers before updating to new ones, I think I used it once for a clean install but after that never used it because of the above reason (it didn't properly remove the old gpu drivers but this was way back when you still had to dig and remove it in devicemanager).

Stupid sexy goddes

>The thing to look out for is if it properly uninstalls old drivers before updating to new ones

That is the kind of thing I'm wary off but at this point I'd be fine with anything that manages to install drivers that let you access internets with random wireless USB modems on old computers still running Windows XP. After all for "normal" people computer works if you can access the internets and being able to browse internets also allow you to find better drivers from the hardware manufacturers sites.

After 1.5 hours of waiting, i did a hard reset.
Bootloader accepted the old pass/PIM. Everything still works.

I'm using pushbullet to automate sending data from my phone to a raspberry pi. What is the best way to format the text? It's mostly single lines, having a name, date, value. I was thinking .csv, but it's a bit annoying if i want to add data to calls. Any ideas?

how do I umount if I'm offline?

I can't boot my laptop after getting a infinite bsod loop while installing an nvidia driver, found out it might be the power options or the video card shit the bed. How tf do I boot with the intel graphics instead of the card and how should I fix this shit without it taking 10 hours to fix every time I attempt to install the drivet?

Pls help

How do I disable the zelda lock screen and start up sounds from the nanomod patch installer for microG? It's really annoying

Ps. its asus lap with gtx 1050 and w10. My bet its the fucking new update somehow fucked me up

I want to see linkedin profiles, but they block me most times, requesting that I sign-up.

Example: linkedin.com/in/williamhgates
> Join to view full profiles for free

How can I bypass this?

DESU is a screen supposed to display all white without hurting your eyes? I can't enjoy b/w drawings without lots of shading on my laptop since it's too bright. I wonder if I'm missing the science behind the ideal brightness of a monitor or something, since this is somewhat hell.

Responding to myself but I guess the answer doesn't matter for me since the laptop's function key + brightness (+/-) sets it too low for me if I go down a mere once. Maybe drivers offer more finer options between but it's either eye-melting whites and ok everything else, or dull everything. But I wonder if the optimal screen brightness yields whites that feed uncomfortable to look at if it's a large area.

My old W500 had a "switchable graphics" option so when I mashed F8 I believe it was to go to the BIOS options, I could navigate to an option to enable "integrated", "discrete", or "switchable" graphics. Maybe every BIOS has that option, idk, idk if it's F8 or F12 or whatever you mash when booting to go to options.

Will this charge decently fast? I think the bottleneck might be the wall adapter. It's from my old phone and my new phone charges slower with it than the one it came with, but I'm not sure if Switch uses the same fast charging tech or what.

what are some good features to look for when buying a motherboard , some have external sata ports etc

i installed windows 10 and encrypted it with veracrypt
after i turned off my pc i've noticed that after a while my pc booted up for an update, without requesting the veracrypt password or pim, how is this possible? how did an encrypted system manage to boot up without the encryption passphrase on it's own?

>Not listing the milliamps on the charger
>Not listing the model of cable
Annon that could literally take 10x longer or not even work, depending on what the hell charger and cable you've got. USBC is the most ridiculously unevenly implemented standard, with cables varying massively in capabilities, and regular usb had problems enough. And don't even get me started on how much usb chargers vary, even when they're still working right. It's like you asked "how fast will my german car get me to Pittsburgh" without any other context.

I asked /spg/ this the other day, but didn't get an answer, so maybe you guys will know: I've looked through xda for related information and haven't found anything that seems to flat out answer my question, either. I recently picked up a m7 for cheap(amazing condition, but of course the camera is PINK'd in low light); the only issue is that it's still on the original firmware and version of android it came with, 4.1.2. Normally I would just OTA it up to current and then throw a custom rom on it. However, whenever I check for an OTA, it says none was found. It's an AT&T one, so apparently this is because AT&T issues their OTAs direct from their server, and I'm not on AT&T. Anyway, my question is, I found the RUU file for the latest update for the AT&T version of the m7 on HTC's site, but it's just the RUU for the exact final update, there's no in between files offered; can I safely jump all the way from earlier firmware/bootloader/android version/etc straight to last without murdering the phone? I have no idea how HTC's RUU stuff works in this regard.

If white hurts your eyes then you're either sitting too close to the screen or you're not in a well lit room.

I don't know the answer desu but I did remember reading this, maybe it's your answer (at the bottom):

veracrypt.fr/en/System Encryption.html
>Note: By default, Windows 7 and later boot from a special small partition. The partition contains files that are required to boot the system. Windows allows only applications that have administrator privileges to write to the partition (when the system is running). VeraCrypt encrypts the partition only if you choose to encrypt the whole system drive (as opposed to choosing to encrypt only the partition where Windows is installed).

tl;dr: I believe it's saying Windows can boot if you encrypted "only the partition where Windows is installed" rather than "the whole system drive".

I already ordered it so I guess I'll see. Maybe I should have just bought something labeled "Switch charger" but I wanted something cheaper and without that big plug on the end that won't fit in the case.

Thanks for the reply, I really didn't expect one. And after trying what you say, you appear to be right to me :(. It appears my glasses are merely not capable of reading things at a safe viewing distance from the screen. I didn't expect to be walking away from this context with this insight but I'm sure old no-longer properly serving their purpose glasses are unhealthy for eyes anyway, so I need to change them. Thanks.

You haven't even said if you bought a charger with fast charging. And if you bought some random ass cable it's probably gonna suck. Most of them do. And that's not counting the knockoff apple ones that try to murder you

I have ccd0 4ChanX and Nebukazar OneeChan. I can't for the life of me figure out why I only see couple latest backlinks if any at all for OP in the board index.
uBlock Origin is set to allow everything.

wat do?

Try using dd to zero the drive for a bit, it shouldn't need long, just enough to kill the headers and then format it.

Follow a guide

i'm pretty sure that i encrypted the whole harddrive, also it was installed in bios/mbr mode and the only other partition was recovery, even if it could boot up from unencrypted efi partition that's not what happened here, it booted up completly, i'm concerned that microsoft has my encryption keys now

what mAh do I need to keep alive a raspberry pi zero for 5 minutes during blackouts? is 150 enough?

Measure the current and go from there. mAh values are never accurate and the batteries deteriorate with use, so you always want an overkill when it comes to batteries.

Post veracrypt page and "This PC" drives page.

a thread measuring power usage of their zeros got lots of results, ranging from 30mA (most things incl. hdmi and the led's turned off), up to 140mA (running a gui, and a usb keyboard)
i think this is right;
30*(5/60) = 2.5mAh
140*(5/60) = ~11.7mAh

of course, you'll want more overhead than that, but that shouldn't be hard

the pi works headless and I enter it via ssh. there's only a usb wifi dongle soldered on the gpio and powered by these two dots. it receives the power to turn the pi on and to power the dongle. do you think I can link a battery to the same dots to recharge and keep the pi alive in case of power loss?

Yeah, I fucked up 100% anyway because the shit I ordered was 1 foot. Well there's $9 down the drain. I ordered one that everyone says charges the Switch just as fast as the original charger for $15. I wasn't aware of all the differences between charging speed, I just figured it was more standardized, but I learned something now, thanks.

i'm pretty sure the zero has no battery charge circuit or voltage regulator, you won't want to /directly/ attach a battery to the 3.3v line

Is there a way to crop video on android? I dont care if it's shitty and lossy, I just want to remove the black bars from vertical videos assholes turned into horizontal ones.

Doesn't exist!! FUCK!
danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2744270

I have some of these at home, is this enough to keep the voltage safe?

Help! After installing lineage os, clover won't load images..

looks like a charge circuit, but doesn't appear to have a fixed output voltage, you still need something to take the battery terminals and output a fixed 3.3/5v for the pi

guess I can use a diode to lower that 0.2 voltage

batteries and charge circuits don't output any single fixed voltage either
the charge circuit generally puts out more voltage than the batteries' nominal voltage, and the battery voltage drops over time as it discharges

The pi has a 3.3v regulator.

so to keep me safe how much should I lower the voltage from 3.7? this battery mode is going to be an emergency mode that force the pi to detect a battery status and shutdown to avoid data loss

from usb's fixed 5v, sure, but can it take output from a charge controller/battery?

Nevermind, I fixed it.

i don't think there's any regulation at the 3.3v line
normally you'd power the pi with 5v, which it regulates to 3.3v to power the chips
i don't know what range the chips can withstand, but you'll probably only get a small range if you start at 3.3v (the battery will soon drop below that and the pi will fail prematurely)
also note that the battery doesn't max out at 3.7v, it can be charged at slightly higher voltages, like 4.2v

supposedly the regulator still works at 3.6v

if the 5v input can operate as low as 3.6v, that might do fine for you
you won't get the full use out of your battery, but that wasn't your goal anyway

Is an array index and an array subscript the same thing?

so I can just ignore the slightly higher voltage of the battery output? is this what I need to do?

You are like that guy from the old tech forums.

it won't be higher, as you'll be attaching to the 5v input
and yes for the picture

then someone better de-censor it

how to get further into a programming language i feel like i am not moving from basic loops, arrays and twisted printing, i try to solve problems on internet after few beginner i get stuck, and when i see github projects even a simple program have like 100s of files i am really afraid of my future, and i don't know how to learn more and go a little deeper in the programming language i am learning please help guize

You are at a point where you'll have to start learning frameworks. The next step depends on what you want to learn or what do you think will be useful in future. My suggestions would be learning an UI framework, game framework or web server framework.

Mom got a smartphone, I want to give her a paid app (pic related) because I don't want her to set up payment methods on her account, you know, because it's complicated and it's my mom.

Is it possible to send apps as gifts?

Alternatively, there seems to be a way to share apps via a "family library". Do I need to buy the app again, does it work seemlessly, any caveats?

You could buy one of those gift card things.

so do all little apps and programs on github or other projects i see use frameworks? i am really confused, btw i am learning java thats what i started from university

you can gift apps on iOS but not on google play. as he says you can buy a gift card and redeem the code to get the juicy digital money play.google.com/intl/en-US_it/about/giftcards/

Dell U2412M is over 6 years old now. Is it still worth purchasing? The old reviews seem positive, but one would imagine that some kind of progress would have happened in a half a decade..

oh yeah forgot about those
thanks

youtu.be/QNMqxiZVxmw

Why is it acceptable for those androids to muzzle sweep the audience?

Did the holocaust happen?

Which one?

no, but it should have.

when is ram going down in price?

Never, but you should still wait because it will definitely happen any minute now.

Whats the difference between i5 and i7? What are the other numbers after that?

Sometimes websites let you through if you use a special user agent, like of a web crawler's (useragentstring.com/pages/useragentstring.php).