Let's make an attempt for a serious discussion

Let's make an attempt for a serious discussion.

Oil is going to eventually run out. Maybe not in our lifetime, but still. And coal will probably too. What do we actually do?

It's not just cars, it affects the whole infrastructure.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/utnl5-9Xb_A?t=360
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

like we lived before oil was useful

Well, hopefully we will have moved to renewable energy.

What kind? How effective will it be?
I guess we should move towards less globalization, like in John Titor timeline.

You could generate almost all the power needed via hidroelectric power (plus solar and wind memes). Also, as an emergency power you could bang some atoms and have nuclear power.

I love hidroelectric, it's the greener and cheaper one.

everyone can ride a bike

Oil and coal will run out, but not anytime soon. There are still some more years left to consume it all.
And at the time they run out, we will have clean renewable energy that will be stable enough to be the main source of energy. In reality, we have to do that, since coal and oil are harmful for our planet. There's already plenty of countries that relies to hydroelectric, and we should progress on that further until we stop being dependent of oil and coal.

>I guess we should move towards less globalization, like in John Titor timeline.
Why did you mention John? What does his whole intriguing story of time traveler has to do with our discussion?

Find alternative fuel. We are talking about thousand years into the future though, the transport system may change drastically.

I would like to believe that people would be able to harness miniature wormholes.

hydro, solar, wind, geothermal, tidal, nat gas, ethanol for cars, nucular, fusion eventually

lots of choices

nuclear ftw

>Why did you mention John? What does his whole intriguing story of time traveler has to do with our discussion?

Because his description of future seems like a solution. Little communities, almost city-states, that produce what they need locally, but there are still global communications, internet and enough industry to make complex electronics and machines. Also, much less mindless consumerism. I see it as the optimal solution.

Don't worry, oil won't run out as long as Trump says it won't. Don't believe those EPA liars and climate scientists. They're all on China's payroll trying to make US manufacturing non-competitive. But we're smarter than those gooks. Coal and oil are clean and there's plenty of it to power America. We're gonna put miners and drillers back to work in great numbers. We'll have so much coal and oil countrys will be clamoring to by from us but it ain't gonna be cheap. We're tired of giving the world handouts and we're gonna tell 'em if they want oil they gotta pay.

Oil will not run out, that is a liberal fantasy just like global warming.
The a-rabs are sitting on tons of it.
Take this shit back to /x/ where it belongs.

Individual solar is the future.

Everybody has a battery bank and a few solar panels for energy throughout the house and charge their electric vehicle.

This way we can keep the natural resources for larger company usage which lowers the usage globally.

We really need some legislation to kill "alternative" energy. Solar, wind, and hydro only exist to take jobs away as do regulations on fossil fuel industries. De-regulate fossil fuels and ban "green" technology and we're one step closer to making our economy the strongest in the world, and making America great again!

No-one is going to give a fuck until it's too late.

The problem with solar is efficiency. There is only so much raw energy per square meter we can get from sunlight.

Global warming or cooling or whatever is not fantasy since climate changes all the freaking time, the point is that it's not big deal and we have little to do with it.

The problem of finite amount of shit from under the ground to burn is real.

You know, perhaps the Earth gets warmer because of this little thing called THE SUN. Only liberals can be so fucking stupid to not see that the SUN makes Earth warm. Man literally has zero impact on the environment. WHEN THE SUN GOES UP IT WARMS UP. DO I NEED TO WRITE IT ON A BULLET AND BURY IT IN YOUR FUCKING SKULL?

This and this again.

I agree with you but if needed electricity consumption can be lowered.

Learn to read.

I wrote that Earth gets warmer and colder ALL THE FUCKING TIME. AND IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER.

The problem of oil running our eventually has nothing to do with this topic.

OIL AIN'T GONNA RUN OUT BEFORE THE SUN EXPLODES YOU RETARDED LIBTARD. WE HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH EVEN IF OIL CONSUMPTION WAS INCREASED BY 1000% FOR THE NEXT 5 MILLION YEARS. BUT WE DON'T EVEN HAVE TO WAIT THAT LONG SINCE JESUS WILL BE BACK WELL BEFORE THAT. MIGHT AS WELL FUCKING USE IT WHILE WE CAN RATHER THAN LEAVING IT IN THE GROUND TO ROT LIKE RETARDED LIBS WANT TO DO.

>I agree with you but if needed electricity consumption can be lowered.

Electricity is basis of all our technology. We can make it more efficient, perhaps, but I guess we will need to at least maintain the current level of consumption.

-nuclear fusion power for most of the requirements
-geothermic, sun and wind power with battery packs for fill (all of these technologies will improve a LOT while the problem surfaces)
-"passive houses" with solar batteries on their roofs
-bikes with safe biking infrastructure (bike paths, self-service rental stations)
-trams, electric trains and trolleybuses for public transport
-biomass powerplants burning burnable trash

That being said, most of these things will work (or rather work as intended) in civilized countries
-fusion reactors will not work where they give 0 fucks about safety
-geo/wind/solar/renewable won't work where they refuse to invest in protecting the environment
-passive houses won't work where people build houses from mud, trash metal plates etc
-bike rental won't work where they will steal them
-electricity powered public transport only works if they are controlled by modern electronics and not resistor arrays turning electricity into heat
-biomass won't work where they burn fucking everything including plastic

The electronics industry has reached such ridiculous levels of specialization that you need the global market to sustain it. How many places have the infrastructure to make a x86 microprocessor and how much does it cost to make a new factory?

Global market still possible, but complex electronics will be more expensive, but then again, probably will become obsolete much slower than what we have now.

but trump told me he'd bring back coal!

You sound unhinged.

Nuclear > shitty meme energies

Nuclear is great.

Until you realize that it will also run out if we won't invent cold nuclear synthesis or some shit like that.

But if we do... OH BOIIIIII

You're the only unhinged one libtard.

mild jej

Hopefully we will stop burning this thing, and save it for when it becomes usefull.

duh

My guess would be either fusion or solar, the other renewables seem kinda retarded.

will we have enough horses and sailboats?
how do you carry a 1500-container ship with sails? will the horses deliver the fruits to your grocery store before they rot?

>run out
We still have at least 600-1000 years of uranium, and that's if it weren't reprocessed. There's other fuel, that should give us plenty if we reprocess. We have tens of thousands of years of energy untapped. We could also go with breeder reactors that recycle their own waste.

The space needed to power an average US house is in few meters squared. A fraction of average house roof real estate. Something like a 1/3 or 2/5 of the roof is needed to retrofit with solar panels to power an average house.

In other words, space required to get electricity from solar panel is minimal and already available.

Nuclear can't beat TIDAL WAVE even.

>run out
We'll have fusion long before that happens, that's how far into the future that is. In case of emergency, there's nuclear.

You are retards, those are space time resources. What about Uranium Alloys? You are incopetent in resourcing.

Because hemp plastics gona be so much usefull with their recyclaction possibilities in spaceflight, retard, we need oil for flying into space.

fug gabidalism :DDD

Actually, do you have any numbers to back this up? I'm serious right now, I'm really interested in how practical it is.

But the problem with solar panels is also weather. You cannot get consistent output, and current batteries are crap.

I didn't disagree with you, I just pointed out (in a mocking manner) that it was obvious.

I did some basic calculation a while ago. A rough 3-4kw solar panel works out fine for most people.

>youtu.be/utnl5-9Xb_A?t=360

Here's a youtube of 6kw system. The main thing is you need a good battery bank. Solar itself is fairly cheap (if you do it yourself and not pay labor costs)