Is screen tearing unavoidable?

Is screen tearing unavoidable?

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/2803/6
blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Backstory: I had a 19.5inch 60hz monitor from 10 years ago which didn't cause any screen tearing.

I upgraded recently to a 21.5inch 60hz monitor, and can see visible tearing in games.

Turning on v-sync is not an option as I play competitively and cannot have any delay.

No. Its called Gsync.

Its expensive as fuck but completely removes this problem.

For my 60 Hz TV I solved it with locking FPS to 60 (not Vsync) in certain games. This removes tearing in most cases.

what i dont understand is how my 10 year old monitor didnt have any tearing, and now a new expensive monitor of the same brand (hanns g) has tearing...

what anime is this

I never cared about tearing in games, but the input lag of VSync drives me crazy.

I don't have any tearing on debian stable with nvidia propietary drivers and the option fullcompositionpipeline enabled

No. VSync for video playback and some form of adaptive sync (e.g. FreeSync or GSync) for gaming.

> some form of adaptive sync (e.g. FreeSync or GSync) for gaming.

these cause input lag

>play competitive
>21.5 inch 60hz display
dumb casual

no it doesn't you fucking retard

No. They also do not cause lag on a human scale in general.

look at the description of what freesync or gsync is .. anything that syncs the hz to the fps WILL cause input lag you fucking spastic

It only syncs when the fps drops below your monitors max hz your fucking mongoloid.
You bought some bottom shelf shitty 21" monitor and now you're complaining about buying literal garbage.
Get a real monitor or fuck off nigger.

See anandtech.com/show/2803/6
and blurbusters.com/howto-low-lag-vsync-on/
The short version is that vsync will inevitably increase latency a little BUT in most cases the delay is excessive so it can often be tweaked.

The only thing I can suggest is that maybe your old monitor was lower resolution and the higher framerate achieved was a cleaner multiple/divisor of 60.

Either put up with the latency, put up with the tearing, mess around with lower resolutions to try to get something similar to your old setup, or pay the extra for an adaptive sync (gsync) monitor.

Out of interest, why 21.5" instead of 23"-27"? Seems kind of small for a new monitor.

ROFL you have no clue what youre talking about

enjoy your input lag, casual shitter

Only if you use linux

>why 21.5" instead of 23"-27

I've tried 23 and its fucking massive if you play competitively and hinders your performance greatly. You need to literally look around the screen to see things.

If you're a casual gamer and sit far away from the screen playing some shitty 1 player game then i can see why you'd want 23-27''.

19.5 was amazing for competitive play.

I'd say 21.5 is the sweet spot for serious gaming.

as for messing about with the fps, it seems the higher the fps 600+ i get less noticeable tearing. The lower i go the more I notice the tearing.

The multiple/divisor of 60 doesn't seem to do anything

>they think that 1 to 2 milliseconds of input lag is noticeable by a human being

I fucking hate this board.

Get a 144hz monitor. I've been using a freesync monitor with a gtx card and haven't seen any tearing at all for about 8 months.

Fuck off retard

>Turning on v-sync is not an option as I play competitively and cannot have any delay.
Then why the fuck are you stuck on a 60hz monitor
Get a job and upgrade retard

because i played for many years on a 10 year old 19.5'' screen at 60hz and played competitively against the best players of the counter strike and street fighter scene?

Maybe thats why i didn't feel the need to go to 144hz ?

This.

This
I have a 144hz with freesync and it's a fucking godsend

Just use wayland

Shouldn't have bought a shitty 60hz monitor if you wanted to play competitively

Also is there a way to use Freesync with GNU/Linux yet that isn't experimental shit?

>i play competitively
sure, that's why you bought shitty monitor

yet the competitive scene for cs has played on 60hz monitors for the past 15 years

hmmm really makes you think

>the games I like are the relevant ones
>the games other people like are shitty and casual
>I can only play one type of game ever
To each their own. To me, this kind of hyper-optimisation where people play in 800x600 to get 1000fps and use tiny monitors so they can move their eyes less... I'm sure it improves your stats but it doesn't sound fun to me at all. I'm sure it's fun for you so I don't judge.

I personally prefer narrative-heavy single-player action-adventure games, and I like them to fill my FOV as much as possible. Most people wouldn't call these shitty casual games (that label is normally reserved for The Sims/Farmville/mobile games).

stop using shitty intel gpus

are you retarded

not an argument

>noticed tearing after buying fancy gpu
>asked on "tech forum"
>they told me that i have broken monitor. lel what?

eventually i just noticed that games that i play with v-sync turned on... never have such problem. this is why i always turn on v-sync and never have this issue again.

screw people who "don't notice it"
screw freesinc shills.
screw g-sync.

v-sync is all that i need.

> doesnt play competitive games

only played some battlefield 2/3 and some wow and some left for dead 2 versus.
and no .......i don't play sc or overwatch or shit like that.

even in them i would never let videocard show 250+ fps on 60hz screen.
its total madness to play like this.
whole picture looks broken with tearing.

Play a real competitive game like Overwatch instead, casual.

Where do people even get an idea that disabling vsync reduces input lag these days? It was true back in 80 and 90 when games were running game logic and rendering in a solid tight loop so game responsiveness was heavily affected by rendering performance. But today even third grade games implement game logic running independently from rendering. And disabling vsync is nothing but a major waste of CPU time that potentially can only reduce responsiveness, not improve it.

yeah, nah.
when you put vsync on you get input lag

Freesync is the superior adaptive frame sync implementation. It let's you choose to also use regular Vsync or not.

You probably had it running at 59 hz so it never teared.

because vysnc adds input lag, always has, always will.

>21.5 inch
>60hz
>competitive
kek

If you machine is shit.

>muh input lag
Stop playing shitty first person shooters. It literally doesn't matter at all outside of that.

do you even understand what input lag is and where it comes from?

When you're running at 120 Hz and you shoot it takes a maximum of .0083 seconds for the game to register.
When you play with Vsync at 60 Hz it takes .0167 seconds.
That's why.

>play competitively
ever tried not being a fucking manchild

Register what? .0083 and .0167 seconds are intervals between frames that you got by dividing 1/num Hz. If you think that it takes .0167 to process input then you are completely wrong. You can run at 1Hz with vsync and game should handle input at the same rate as it it would do at 30Hz 47Hz 60Hz or any other number of Hz.