/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/StallmanWasRight/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO/Linux_controversies
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for install gentoo

how do i get a linux bf ;-;

>Richard?
>>"Just a moment, this is important."

Why is /usr/local/bin not writable by default? You're suposed to place there your scripts, aren't you?
How do I make it writable? "sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin" doesn't seem to work, I can't create a new directory there, copy files, etc...

Get a normie gf and convert her.
Your scripts belong to ~/bin.

If you set the time via the date command, does it default to 12 or 24 hour time?

The output of date without options depends on your locale.

What If I intend to use them with more than one user?

24 is standard

sudo mv

i dont like girls anonn

Okay.

if [ -e $2/"$FILE" ]
then
cp $FILE $2/"$FILE.JPG"
echo "Duplicate Filename: $FILE" >> $2/duplicates-$timestamp.txt

This code snippet is meant to check if the file exists in the destination directory before copying, if it does, it's meant to append ".JPG". Is anyone able to spot why this condition never gets met?

Why do I usually see people recommend using a compositor like Compton to fix screen tearing when you can enable TearFree in xorg.conf?

>want to completely switch to GNU/Linux
>can't do it because it doesn't run important software

Seriously, all I want is to use Ansys software without any hassle. Matlab already is wonderful on GNU/Linux, why doesn't HFSS and Ansoft Designer run as well?

Welp, back to Windows.

Let's say I download the CentOS 6.9 ISO when systemd wasn't implemented yet and I do a yum update, does it replace the init or I'm good. Unrelated but I'm only intrested to use CentOS for web development and C# for now.

-f

>CentOS for web development and C#
It's time to turn off your computer.

Why?

>C#
Wrong OS bruh

OpenRC, SysVinit, Upstart or runit?

I know... systemd is bad.

>why I avoid systemd you ask?
>idk man, I just think it's what clever nerds are doing these days

The last time I checked you could program C# in Linux just the same, besides that wasn't my question.

I don't want to promote it. I'm just autistic like that, but convince me, what's a good systemd OS for "work".

just use a shell script senpai

>systemd OS

I'm too dumb for that kohai.

what are some good linux subreddits?

reddit.com/r/StallmanWasRight/

Currently reading the 1st edition of how linux works by brain ward.
I just stumbled on "System V'
Was System V any good?
Apparently it was the most used init system in 2003

get a better book

Funtoo vs Gentoo?

Why though it is pretty good

System V is a registered trademark of SCO. Anyone mentioning System V must pay $699 to SCO to license use of their intellectual property.
Sincerely, SCO.

>tfw none of you kids will have any idea what I'm talking about

ahaha yeah why would the kids here have any idea about my obscure secret hipster referencing
baka they dont even watch rick & morty

>SCO
I remember when they tried to sue Linux developers for stealing Unix code. They unironically payed some people to compare Unix and Linux code, just to come to the conclusion that Linux is basically just a kernel. heh

how can you even "steal" code when the source isn't available

If it is so bad name a good alternative

how can you even steal if a door is locked

Publishers and lawyers like to describe copyright as “intellectual property”—a term also applied to patents, trademarks, and other more obscure areas of law. These laws have so little in common, and differ so much, that it is ill-advised to generalize about them. It is best to talk specifically about “copyright,” or about “patents,” or about “trademarks.”

The term “intellectual property” carries a hidden assumption—that the way to think about all these disparate issues is based on an analogy with physical objects, and our conception of them as physical property.

When it comes to copying, this analogy disregards the crucial difference between material objects and information: information can be copied and shared almost effortlessly, while material objects can't be.

To avoid spreading unnecessary bias and confusion, it is best to adopt a firm policy not to speak or even think in terms of “intellectual property”.

Something about Stallman's little laptops seem really comfy.

source?

Back in the day, the owners of commercial Unix (AT&T, Novell, SCO at various points) would license it to hardware makers to produce their own versions. Thus Sun had Solaris, IBM had AIX, etc.

The allegation was that IBM took Unix code meant for AIX and diverted it into Linux. This was complete bullshit, but it did keep SCO in the news for another couple of years after commercial Unix failed completely.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO/Linux_controversies

my brain is too small for all this

I'm ß

awwwww!

Novell owned unix at the time. SCO purchased a license and then argued in court that they had purchased unix.

I have a problem where my Ubuntu (17.10 right now, but it's been doing it for several releases) freezes when I write to my SSD disk, and I need to find out whether it's a software problem or if my SSD is dying on me.

I've tested the read speed like this:
$ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/mapper/sda5_crypt

/dev/mapper/sda5_crypt:
Timing cached reads: 9228 MB in 2.00 seconds = 4618.04 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 1190 MB in 3.00 seconds = 396.46 MB/sec

That looks like decent numbers to me, let's try writing to the disk:
$ LC_ALL=C dd if=/dev/zero of=~/out.bin bs=100M count=1
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 16.882 s, 6.2 MB/s

Wow, this is slow. It shouldn't take this long despite it being an encrypted (512 bit aes-xts-plain64) partition, right? I can't do anything while I write to the disk. I can't even move the mouse pointer.

I'm using the deadline scheduler:
$ cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
noop [deadline] cfq

I want to verify that this is a hardware problem, so that I don't waste money on a new SSD + adapter (ASUS connector to M.2). How do I determine the root cause?

chmod'ing a directory will not chmod it's contents.
A directory is basically a file (which is a list of files)

boot into a livecd environment that isn't ubuntu and run the same tests

Gentoo

Never use those recycled "but but but I know it better I promise" distros.

Who owns it?

What particular live CD would you suggest?

>Why is /usr/local/bin not writable by default?
It is, for root.
>You're suposed to place there your scripts, aren't you?
No, you are not supposed to put personal shit there, only system wide.
>How do I make it writable?
you don't.
>sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin
Jesus.

puppy is nice

I'm planning to finaly buy a SSD, and to reinstall my OS.
I'm currently using Windows Server 2008 R2 (because I was planning to use some of the functionnality).
I've setup a Win10 LTSB on a small server at work, and a lot of things make me want to change completely.
I have Xubuntu LTS on my laptop, it's ok but there is a lot of small things lacking (I've got a lot of problem to setup the sound for HDMi).

Almost all my program got a version for Ubuntu and Fedora, so now my only question remaining is which DE will be the less painfull to use ? Or should I just reinstall a Win7 ?

lxde is ok
xfce is ok too

Thanks. I'll need to locate my USB stick before I can test it (fucking USB sticks, I've already bought 4 because I've misplaced the previous ones), but let's assume that I get the same results from the Puppy live CD. Is there anything else I can do to test it in that case?

stat -c '%a %A %n' /*
stat -c '%a %A %n' /usr/local/bin/*

But he's the maker of Gentoo? Shouldn't he know better

-f?

Put empty code tags before the -l. That way you can circumvent that error.

If his ideas were really better, he could have made them in Gentoo, not in another distro.

how many ppl itt actually use gentoo???

Gentoo got the ideas of Funtoo downstream (git for example).

What's a good cpu for compilation? I am basically only going to use it for compilation. I have $250-350.

I'm thinking about:
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v6 Kaby Lake 3.5 GHz [$269]
or
Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon 4 GHz [$360]

or do you have any better suggestions?

explain to me the pros/cons of bleeding edge vs stable
Trying to decide between debian and fedora for my second machine

install gentoo

Firefox using Sup Forums x has been raping my computer for a couple of weeks now, even on firefox 56. When i refresh the catalog or open a new thread CPU usage and temperature spike and the page freezes for a couple of seconds. Any one else experiencing that?

Install debian testing.

Install Debian Sid

>systems such as debian and ubuntu edit the software - if software in a distro is 'upstream' it has minor or no edits from the maintainers of the distro - gentoo being an example of a system that is 'close to upstream'

So does this mean that gentoo will, for example, have better-optimized display drivers, or newer versions of OpenGL/Vulkan? I might switch eventually but I don't know if going full-on gentoo for my first switch is a good idea.

usr local bin then

no

Stallman's got the right idea.

What does /fglt/ think about systemd?

>one binary to rule them all.

It sucks. It doesn't encourage newfags to read and understand shell scripts and takes away a lot of the fun of using Linux.

If I start out with just stock Ubuntu, how hard is it to completely replace Unity with XCFE or MATE or something?

Do you hide threads/posts manually? If yes, try cleaning those hidden posts (4chanx settings->filter->there is a button).
If you have hundreds of those that can rape your FF hard.

As hard as installing xubuntu-desktop (or just xfce4 xfce4-goodies) or ubuntu-mate-desktop metapackages, logging out and on the login screen selecting xfce/mate rather than unity.

PROTIP: tasksel is your friend

On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd say 9.

GNU/Linux*

I would appreciate help from someone who's good with command line text editing.
Say I have two files.
File 1:
This is the First line
This is the Second line
This is the Third line
This is the Fourth line
This is the Fifth line
File 2:
This is the Third line
This is the Fourth line
This is the Fifth line
This is the Sixth line
This is the Seventh line
This is the Eighth line

How could I combine them to say
File 3:
This is the First line
This is the Second line
This is the Third line
This is the Fourth line
This is the Fifth line
This is the Sixth line
This is the Seventh line
This is the Eighth line

That isn't a his t60 is it?
What laptop is he using on the picture

I don't understand your question completly. Are 3,4,5 duplicates? Do you want to omit them? Are the first 2 lines if file 2 empty lines?

Stallman currently used librebooted T60, previously he has been using China-made Yeelong Lemote with China made MIPS CPU that had free as in freeedom firmware/bios

$ cat file1
This is the First line
This is the Second line
This is the Third line
This is the Fourth line
This is the Fifth line
$ cat file2

This is the Third line
This is the Fourth line
This is the Fifth line
This is the Sixth line
This is the Seventh line
This is the Eighth line
$ sed -n 1,5p < file1; sed -n 6,8p < file2
This is the First line
This is the Second line
This is the Third line
This is the Fourth line
This is the Fifth line
This is the Sixth line
This is the Seventh line
This is the Eighth line

That's a nice font. Which is it?

My apologies, I forgot to mention that the number of lines and the number of duplicates are arbitrary and it should just cut out all duplicates from the middle.
I'm trying to pull chunks of text at a time from the amazon online reader and then combine the HTML files together.

okay so I tried to copy Luke Smith his I3 rice and I find that a lot of stuff isn't working. I've decided to hell with it and I'm just going to build my own and dissect the handful of things I like out of his rice and what major I3 does. I already have KDE Plasma installed on this Arch system and I've always been fond of KDE so I'd like to integrate KDE software into i3, starting with Konsole because I find it very easy to change colors and can easily switch between a transparent and solid background (this would be nice for playing roguelikes.)

Is it possible to instruct i3 to launch Konsole as its terminal emulator but with a specific profile with the menu bar hidden? I tried to web search but a bunch of noobs asking how to hide the menu bar in Unity.

How do I install Ubuntu on a disk where Windows 10 is already installed without grub overwriting the MBR? If I ever uninstall Ubuntu I still want to be able to boot Windows without having to fix the MBR.

Download the alternate install ISO/mini.iso and use that. From there you can select not to install GRUB or install it to a partition or another disk rather than your main disks MBR. Just say "no" when it asks that.

You do have a plan to boot ubuntu right?

>You do have a plan to boot Ubuntu right?
Uhh... I don't know what that means.

ignore that it doens't matter
you said you wanted to boot windows, but said nothing on using ubuntu so made a dumb joke

--profile file

Start Konsole using the specified profile instead of the default profile.

> t. first result of DuckDuckGo
Haven't used Konsole in ages but I assume it's there in the profile options

You said you want to install ubuntu but don't want to install GRUB as a default bootloader for you PC.
This is why I asked if you have some alternate method in mind to start Ubuntu/GRUB, and not just don't install grub then come back here crying "I installed Ubuntu without grub, now it cannot boot LOONIXTARD?!"

Somthing like this?
$ awk '!hugebenis[$0]++' file1 file2
This is the First line
This is the Second line
This is the Third line
This is the Fourth line
This is the Fifth line
This is the Sixth line
This is the Seventh line
This is the Eighth line