What does Sup Forums think of smart lighting?

Just spent $260 on a bunch of LIFX globes, did I fuck up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aAj8zHOEfiI&spfreload=10
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Dynamic LED lightning offers significant cost savings over the lifetime of the equipment.

I like the idea of using them alongside an alarm to gradually wake up in the morning.

Lifx fucking sucks. I got a bulb for free and would rather have a regular light. Shit always disconnects and the app fucking sucks

LIFX or Phillips hue?

> not making your own with a rbp and breadboard for $50

Fuck really? Is your router too far away..?

Room right next to router. Yesterday I had a short blackout due to a storm and the LIFX bulb refused to reconnect to anything. The app was stuck trying to update the bulbs firmware when it was already up to date. I had to disable everything and reset my cloud account before the bulb would work again.

redpill me on this, what do they do, why should i put one in every room instead of normal lamps, how do they work

my exgf last year gave me a chinese one as a present, it has an app, rgb and a bluetooth speaker inside and it is ok but i see it as a toy, i'd not use one in every room

what i'd do for a domotic home is use a smart centralized dimmer (like those they use with DMX in events) and connect it to every lamp holder in the house, then connect it to a centralized computer together with presence sensors to make funny shit like you enter a room and the room turns on or you set up predefined scenes like dinner/home theater/sex time ecc.

for example if you turn on a lamp after 23PM the centralized dimmer sends 50V instead of 220V cause it's comfy, this kind of shit

but i'd avoid keeping electronic in every lamp i buy, this seems stupid and incredibly expensive in the long run, and the fact that every lamp has BT/Wifi kinda scares me

Hue is pretty decent, the middle option (not full RGB, not just dimming) has warm and blueish tones that are pleasant. Can recommend it.

>23PM
>23
>PM
i don't think this is how 24hr time works user.

>a smart centralized dimmer and connect it to every lamp holder in the house
holy shit you aren't an electrician are you

>smart lighting

was writing fast, tried to use the 12 hours time for burgers but brain fucked up
what's the problem?

by that logic every single lamp and light in your house would be on it's own circuit

you are basically talking about rewiring an entire house so you can dim the fucking lights

are you literally retarded?

do you have any idea how electricity works?

yeah but think about making a new house or restructuring one, you're probably going to rewire everything, just send a double wire from the "technical center" (a point prepared for domotic stuff) to every lamp. sure it is more cable but think it is worth it in the long run. we do that with LAN cables anyway
vaguely, but i'm here for asking

i think that putting cpus and antennas in fucking lamps and then trying to control everything from a webapp is an even worse idea.

>i think that putting cpus and antennas in fucking lamps and then trying to control everything from a webapp is an even worse idea.

A worse idea than spending $10,000 to rewire your home?

ok

That's lame.

With hue bulbs, as soon as you turn the bulb socket off and on again, it'll just turn on like a regular lightbulb.

again, i'm talking about building from scratch or restructuring a home, you're supposed to wire everything anyway.

and still nobody answered me, how's turning on or dimming a lamp through a smartphone, shittiest control device ever

at least my dad when restructured our home (and yes, rewired everything) installed electronic dimmers instead of switches. it looks like a regular switch but if you long press it it dims the light, also fades in and out when you turn on and off.

we can use regular dimmerable lights that don't cost 30€

>again, i'm talking about building from scratch or restructuring a home, you're supposed to wire everything anyway.
you are literally retarded

and you're great at arguing

Yes. Lifx's software is total garbage since it relies on a web based server instead of letting you run your own locally. Every command you send has to hit a remote web server first.

>we can use regular dimmerable lights that don't cost 30€

You are not going to save any money, much less a small amount like 30 dollars by wiring your home the way you propose

it will cost you thousands and make your home unpalatable to the next buyer

You can definitely set up predefined scenes and stuff. I connected my hue bulbs and hub to my universal remote and mapped different room settings to different buttons. Now, I can control the lighting from my house from a single app or button click.

Scheduling is also possible. In fact, I have my bed room lights go off the same time my alarm goes off. It's awesome.

You are making no fucking sense

"why don't we just put wings on cars so you don't have to buy airline tickets, also you can make the car float so you have a boat too"

if you don't understand why it's not that simple i can't explain it to you as it's too complicated

If you already rewire everything you should just put on low-voltage dc everywhere.
This way you don't need led bulb with their shitty tiny step-down circuit inside but instead drive it with a proper nice PSU.

>just send a double wire

easy peasy!

are there any open source alternatives?

>are there any open source alternatives?

yes i am torrenting several lightbulbs right now

>RPi
>lightbulb
People like you should be gassed

>"mom, look how good i am with metaphors!"

that would be nice but low voltage would mean higher amperage on a few dozens meter if you have a big house, probably better to keep the step down at the end. if we're talking about 10W leds @5v is doable with stanrdard cables tho, this would also keep the electronic of the dimmer simpler, a 220V dimmer is quite expensive

i have CAT6 in every room in my 500 years old italian house and i can assure you we're not rich, in fact most of the houses made or modified in the last 10 years have this kind of configuration. what is the problem in doing the same with a cheaper cable?

>i have CAT6 in every room in my 500 years old italian house and i can assure you we're not rich, in fact most of the houses made or modified in the last 10 years have this kind of configuration. what is the problem in doing the same with a cheaper cable?

The "cheaper wire" is running voltage off your circuit breaker

What makes you think ripping the wires out to every light bulb in your house and re running them from the breaker on a new circuit will cost less than $30 per bulb

also enjoy nobody else on earth wanting to buy your house after you do this

Botnet

brainlets love putting the word smart in front of things.

Dimming incandescent lights don't save electricity. The dimmer just converts electricity to heat in series with the bulb so the bulb gets dimmer. The circuit as a whole still consumes the same amount of power.

Fluorescent sucks for dimming and LEDs can't be dimmed. Instead, the lights are made to flicker at a very high frequency to give off less light but the flickering is perceptible.

What I have at my home is each room having two sets of lights, one bright at 5600K and one not as bright at 2000K each with separate switches. I don't need variable brightness other than those two settings.

>What makes you think ripping the wires out to every light bulb in your house and re running them from the breaker on a new circuit will cost less than $30 per bulb

what the fuck is your problem i'm not talking about changing a lamp in your rented house you pay with your minimum salary, i'm talking about investing in a house you're going to keep, maybe it's just a cultural thing but here words like "medieval structure" and "domotic" can be found in the same sentence.

and since houses are going to need a rewire once in a while (cause again, restructuring is a thing) why don't you just spend a bit more (on a budget of like 100k €) and make something really cool with your house like adding a centralized smart lighting control solution that is potentially open source (meaning that you can do whatever you want with it, not just downloading apps) and thus future proof. since you have a device that just receive data and outputs power you can really do whatever you want with it.

and you want to sell house? cool, sell the dimmer and the computer controlling it with it, what's the problem? if nothing it is something more, not less

you don't have any idea how electricity works or the consequences of wring your home in some retarded fucked up way to save 30bucks

i bet you are 15

> The dimmer just converts electricity to heat in series with the bulb so the bulb gets dimmer.
No it doesn't fucking you retard.
A small Triac doesn't dissipate 50W when I dim a 100W light bulb. It would die immediately.

>Internet-connected light bulb
What's the fucking point?

to control your lighting from an app or your laptop

To be completely honest it's dumb.
However having smart switches is a whole new story.

What's wrong with getting up and flipping the light switch?

you could replace regular dimmers with bt controlled ones though. It makes much more sense to have that kind of electronics in the wall warts.

>What's wrong with getting up and flipping the light switch?

People want more control, they even have remotes for the TV now!

what a world!

incandescent are a thing of the past, fluorescent too and decent leds are definitively able to be "dimmed" (by their frequency oc) without the flicker being perceptible or annoying, remember we're all using dimmerable led lights in the screen we're watching and i have a dimmed led in this room, i can't see the flicker. if the led has a high base frequency even if you dim it and it goes down to about 400hz it still isn't perceptible.

we've been talking for like a hour and you still didn't give me a valid explanation why i'm wrong except for "you wouldn't get it". so i am 15.

paying 30 bucks for something that is "cool" like a lamp with a cpu in it is something a teenager would do, not something useful if you're planning on making a house that will be comfortable to live in for years, that means rethinking how the house works

>smart X
as if keeping my PC and my phone clean of malware wasn't enough work. enjoy your toilet being part if a botnet and sending spam instead of flushing.

For mains bulbs your base frequency is the mains frequency. 50-60Hz.

Remotes for TVs actually make sense because you need to control a TV a lot more than a fucking light bulb.

>we've been talking for like a hour and you still didn't give me a valid explanation why i'm wrong except for "you wouldn't get it". so i am 15.

Running voltage from a single custom circuit from your breaker to every lightbulb in the house would be very expensive and cause your house to be worth less upon resale since that is fucking weird and nobody does that.

Also you would be dimming every bulb in the home at the same time vs using an app to have the ability to dim each light in each room as you wish, doing what you propose would also be more expensive in money and labor than installing smart bulbs while affording you less control and having to go to one room in the house to dim every light in the house by the same amount.

this is your explanation

literally nobody does this, i wonder why

Go drink some bleach and shoot yourself in the mouth, you dumb fucking shit smear.

>Go drink some bleach and shoot yourself in the mouth, you dumb fucking shit smear.
mad

Why didn't you just get some YeeLights.
Cheaper, brighter and GoogleHome/Alexa compatible.

I mean he could make each room a circuit instead of each individual light. Still dumb though, this doofus is talking about basically installing a dimmer rack used for entertainment lighting in his house, pic related

>lightbulbs now come with a firmware
What the fuck is wrong with the world?

>muh internet of things

My living room was designed by a moron. There are four light switches on two different walls that control six pot lights, a chandelier, a ceiling panel light, and the hallway pot lights. There's also a table lamp.

Rather than rewire it in a way that makes some bleeding sense, it was much easier to buy smart dimmer switches. Twenty five bucks each for the four switches controlling the living room. No smart bulbs purchased. I used the app for a while but got a google home mini so guests don't have to install apps on their phones just to hang out comfortably in my house. It also has a timer set up so that it looks like I'm home when I'm not.

Phillips hue for life boy, got the whole thing done up each white bulb is like +-$10, cheaper than running dimmer panels and finding compatible LEDs

>wanting this to possibly happen to you

youtube.com/watch?v=aAj8zHOEfiI&spfreload=10

Fell for the Philips Hue meme myself.

It's fun but can't say it's worth the price (I payed 40 euro's per bulb, might be cheaper now?)
I have plenty money so not an issue for me personally but I'm sure you NEETS will sperg out over spending hundreds of euro's on fun technology.

I also played with the API a bit.
It's very easy to use, but didn't contain all the functions I was hoping for and the response time is too slow for easy following of video/music.

>not using a 2$ ESP8266 or 1$ NRF24l01 + cheap ass 50c relay + LED
>needing to use a 32 bit quad core ARM computer to accomplish this simple task

God damn this board is really dead

nope, i have a led light in here and it has very light base frequence, it totally looks like incandescent, no flicker at all, and i have a dimmer on the switch (lowers the input voltage), and when dimmed i still don't see any kind of flicker. brand is philips i think, i'd definitively see something lower than 60Hz, i'm used to see lamps characteristics, had a good professional lighting training and i work in the video field side by side with light designer.
decent leds have a high base frequency and when dimmered they should not be recognizable.

since nobody does it doesn't mean it is a bad idea, as long as you know what to do and make a working circuit what's the problem, you sell it as something better with the house

also i'm not talking about a single dimmer, i'm talking about controlling individually every lamp in the house via smart switches connected to a computer sending data to a smart device designed to send power to every bulb.

this guy (pic related) is something you'll find anywhere near an event, you connect standard industrial plugs in every socket, each one connected to a "dumb" lamp (those that have no electronic in them, alogen parables basically) and through the DMX protocol you tell it what voltage it has to send to every "channel".

now this is something big cause you have 24 sockets and each one can take 2KW @ 220V. but imagine the same thing with 10W led lamps @5V

ooops