/PCBG/ - PC Building General

Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs i5 8600k if your CHAD
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

GPUs:
>Consider Vega if you have a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/6w2wNN
amazon.co.uk/dp/B0737M9QP7/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1
amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Monitor-1920x1080-Frameless-Certified/dp/B00YQKTGR8/ref=zg_bs_428652031_12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G1XB3XBMP1M10NSDBPVY
amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2760H-inch-Monitor-1920/dp/B00IZBIMLK/ref=zg_bs_428652031_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G1XB3XBMP1M10NSDBPVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/4HNMRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/9H9MRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/Z6P8BP
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147264
pcpartpicker.com/list/fgX6Yr
pcpartpicker.com/list/LwHZtJ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6F6A11351
pcpartpicker.com/list/TDcfcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/9vb6tJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/LnMhWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/xrhQtJ
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119324
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Consider Vega

pcpartpicker.com/list/6w2wNN

I don't know much about monitors. What's the best one between these two?

>amazon.co.uk/dp/B0737M9QP7/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1
>amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Monitor-1920x1080-Frameless-Certified/dp/B00YQKTGR8/ref=zg_bs_428652031_12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G1XB3XBMP1M10NSDBPVY

I'm a new buyer here, during Black Friday/CyberMonday week when do some of you think is best to buy?
Some places are jumping early and it looks like there's nice deals, but should I wait a few more days?

whats the cheapest nvidia card i get get to play games like tf2, kf2, EYE, at 1080p 40+fps?

Whoopsie, I meant this BenQ monitor.

amazon.co.uk/BenQ-GL2760H-inch-Monitor-1920/dp/B00IZBIMLK/ref=zg_bs_428652031_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=G1XB3XBMP1M10NSDBPVY

80+ alone is sweat but workable
80+ bronze is gucchi
80+ gold/plat/diamond is better, yes, but it's not "double the price" better

use case?I would not buy anything new that's worse than a 1050ti

look at second hand shit

thank all of you for the input

does more efficient also mean more silent? that's what I care about the most if I gotta be honest

thanks i was wondering if i could get away with anything worse than the 1050ti but i guess its worth it

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($176.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($187.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot - Viper Elite 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Extreme Video Card ($449.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($192.54 @ Amazon)
Total: $1730.45

What do you guys think of my custom build?

you could, but I really wouldn't recommend buying it new
you could pick up some shit second hand card for like 30-50$ and get those FPS and then you won't spend too much money buying a dead card

PCPP link
what will it be used for

get seasonic X or whichever comes with semipassive fan function, very likely that corsair you linked does in that price range

remember that you are here talking often to poorfags who got $100 thinkpads and are fine with $30 psu even if its loud...

wtf is this autism

Would all those fans on the case be enough to cooldown the 1800x if i overclock it
pic related, if you are interested

How good is the 580 4GB for 1080p gaming? Never bought Radeon before, but for $179.99 that seems like an insane deal.

is it a reputable brand?
is it a dual fan?

580 4gb should be good for like 3-4 years
1060 6gb and 580 8gb should be good for like 5-6

I'm new at this, just trying to see what's good and what's not

Holy shit that's a deal. I use an rx580 4gb for 1080p and have no problems running anything. Witcher 3 runs at a solid 80fps on mine at high-ultra with my cousin overclocked if that give you any idea

by use case I meant, what's the use case for the pc
aka what is its purpose
aka what will you do with it

>with my cousin overclocked

>overclocking your family members
jesus christ user it's time to stop

PowerColor Red Dragon card.

Fuck me, what have I done.

Nothing special, just want a case with good airflow, i was considering that one cause of the deal.

run away and don't stop running

אתה הולך לקנות Nvidia ואתה הולך לאהוב את זה.

But seriously, no.

I meant for the computer user
please, you're busting my dick here lmao
you just want to play V I D E O G A M E S?

Why? That price coupled with a two-year warranty seems alright.

Aight, with black Friday comming up I'm looking to upgrade, but I'm not sure what part I should upgrade to get the best bang for my buck. I'm fine with 1080p gaming, and my CPU is stable at 3.9ghz. Thinking about gpu upgrade to a 1070 but people say it's nothing worth if I'm sticking to 1080p. Here's the part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/9H9MRG

>send it back
>X is not covered by warranty
>have to pay for shipping to return your broken card to you or let them keep it

If you want to take the risk, be my guest, but remember you're gambling

Oh my b, gonna use it for vidya, Video editing, some programming and 3D modeling. Also want it to last a good amount of years before having to upgrade.

I feel retarded now

Like I said, I'm new at this

I'm thinking of building a Ryzen 1700 machine (16GB RAM, x370 Mobo, 525GB SSD, 5TB HDD, GTX 1080) primarily for 1440p games/emulation, and amateur multimedia production (music/animation/video). My target budget is roughly $1600 (not including price of a new monitor). Reckon there will be any significant Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales that will reduce the cost of my build by at least a couple hundred dollars?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Z6P8BP (posted this build a few months ago, before Coffee Lake released. Dunno if I should just go Intel instead.)

Think I'll gamble. It's a great deal, and if push comes to shove I can push.

>1500x
???
1200, 1600 or 1700 if ryzen
8350k or 8600k if coffee
avoid gaming pro mobo
did the ripjaws ram sale end? they had 16 gigs 3200 for 159 at newegg
just get a caviar blue HDD, that one has shit ratings. Not worth the risk
just get a second hand 1080p 60hz monitor for like 20$. Buying a new one is a huge waste of money

like I said, post pcpp link and give the use case for the pc

most of the older emulation relies heavily on single core performance, which ryzen lacks on. However I've heard the newer emulation like switch does well with 8 cores
I'd personally go with a 8600k or 8700k build
>70-80$ more than a 1070ti
not worth it
that PSU is overpriced as fuck

So would I need a cooler or would this meme case be enough if i overclock the CPU newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147264

oh also I've heard bluray support on PC is shit so you might want to just get a cd/dvd writer/reader and save like 30$ on that

ASUS

Yuropoor here, I need your help. Took me 3 days to build this frankenstein, as Im something below beginner level:
pcpartpicker.com/list/fgX6Yr

I also plan to put ""Zalman 500-GVM modular PSU, 500W, ATX12V V2.3, active PFC, 80 Plus Bronze" in there, I want to know is it strong/efficient enough to keep the power supply constant.
I intend to play games released before 2015/16.
Cheers

>avoid gaming pro mobo
I've got the asus strix one, is this bad or what?
t. other

might as well in a 1900 pc to be honest

compare all the different europe options in pcpartpicker when deciding what and where to buy
though at that pricepoint, consider looking for a second hand or refurbished tower and just adding in a 1050ti

it's not the gaming pro, so no

I have all these parts already, the HDD is the blue edition, I just haven't changed the part. Might bump up to a 1600x for high overclocks

pcpartpicker.com/list/LwHZtJ

>adds 2 fans with red leds
>no gpu
>tfw when temps at 100% load still 38C
>4 fans is too loud

You need a stronger PSU for that system mate.

And a $500 CPU with stock cooler?
Nigga that shit is overkill for whatever you are intending to do and yes you would/should get a aftermarket cooler if you intend to overclock.

What aftermarket cooler would you recommend.
>You need a stronger PSU for that system mate.
How much stronger are we talking about here.

I'm entirely new to this. I've got $1000-$1100 for a budget. Could anyone point me in a useful direction?

so that's your current pc?
why would you want to upgrade, shit's fine

>2 sticks of 8 gig ram
>random separate different stick at different speed
???????????

yeah here you go

I was mainly getting Ryzen for modern emulation like PS3, that can take advantage of multithreaded Same reason I chose the BD drive. I have tons of PS3 discs to rip. (I have a hacked PS3, but it's currently YLOD)

Is the 1600x worth getting over the 1600?

Yeah I fucked that one up

What do you want to do with it?

Asus
TN should never be considered and dont let the buyer remorse fags "durr I barely notice the difference" tell you any different . IPS is always the way to go

What sort of clock speeds do you think Zen+ will reach? Maybe 4.3GHz?

Play modern games, fool around with 3d artwork and Unreal engine, and basic internet stuff. For perspective, my current computer is about a decade old and has so little memory, I can't even install a version of windows newer than vista.

I should add, I dropped by at the beginning of the summer when I had plans to buy a computer, but life happened. I was pointed to ibuypower and Ryzen 5, I think.

8600k still goes basically toe to toe with 1600 in multithread while stomping it in single and quad. 8700k goes toe to toe with 1700x in multi and stomps it in single and quad.

though both the 8600k and 8700k are more expensive with more expensive motherboards

apparently PS3 games used 6 CPU cores. So the 1600/8600k should be fine

K chips to emulate is overkill and should be avoided unless your work depends on it , the 3 to 5 frame difference is not worth the extra 40 to 60 dollars imo

Get a i5 or i7 (i7 8700 is the best cpu on the market right now but runs hot like a mother fucked even the normal non k chips, I speak from exprience)

Ryzen 7 1700 can handle emulation just fine tho since their single core performance is almost on par with a 4th gen intel which sounds terrible but really is not

are you absolutely sure you're getting an aftermarket cooler either way

if so, maybe
if not, no

8700k is 10-15% better than 8700

you're going to have to DELID THIS all of them anyway

Not really since x has no stock cooler you're going to have to buy a aftermarket , although it can be overclocked better all ryzen chips can be overclocked and 1600 can be overclocked near x's level and will only be a single frame lower in gaming in a majority of cases

Production is a entirely different story

Building my first PC. Are Nvidia cards better than AMD for 1080p gaming? This is really the only decision I'm stuck on.

Hey guys im planning out my next build and I had a couple questions. What pairs best with a gtx1080? I was thinking of a i5-8400, or maybe the 8600k if the price difference is worth it.
One more question: what is a good low profile cooler for the CPU's? I really wanna do an ITX build this time and im not sure if a hyper 212 will fit in this case
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6F6A11351

Right now nvidia is better. Vega has what and calls (((fine wine))) which basicly means that they made shit drivers at launch and will work on making them better in the future. You'll be lucky to find a Vega gpu at msrp but if you can the 56 is a small bit better than the 1070 and the 64 is about equal to the 1080. The difference is powerdraw. The Vega gpus take much more power than the gtx gpus. So you would need to account for that when building.

Will an i5-4440 have any issues running with a RX 580 4GB? Probably not, but I want to be sure.

The other thing I'm concerned about is that Intel frequently changes sockets, whereas AMD pledged Ryzen will use the same socket for at least 4 years. If I upgrade a few years down, then I won't have to worry about getting a whole new mobo

His main reason to build a pc is to game with light work

Would you spend $400+ for a cpu , 110+ for a mobo , 140+ for ram , $60+ for a aftermarket cooler all for essentially massive overkill for a gaming-light workstation build

Or 175 (200 typically) cpu , $80+ mobo, $140+ , no need for aftermarket cooler

Keep in mind in the long run you can upgrade the cpu easily on ryzen without spending a single cent on a new mobo .

Yes the i7 is a best cpu out right now but we are trying to help the user out not bankrupt him and gaming performance reaches 60fps-100fps on ryzen which matters the most to gamers , more frames is great and i7 provides a lot more frames but if you don't have the proper monitor it means jack

Alright, thank you. I think a 1060 6GB will fit my needs best.

Nvidia cards last longer in terms of optimization

AMD cards are showing promise on being back to the good old budget card but they fucked up this gen so wait next year if you're looking to save money

Currently best 1080p cards are the 1070 and 1080 , best 1440p card is also the 1070 and 1080 , for $50 you can get a 1070ti which is better than a 1070 but lesser than a 1080 . It isn't worth the money I would save up to get a 1080 which is only $100 dollars more than a 1070 in most cases

>His main reason to build a pc is to game with light work
8600k + mobo is like 120 more than a 1600 build

I just brought up the 8700k because there is no 8600 and he's better off with a 8600k than a 8700 non-k

Well I'm upgrading my i7 2600k to i7 8700k
how will my fps jump in csgo for example?

still looking for help if a kind user wouldn't mind

What PSUs are you using with your Vega 64s, currently have a Thermaltake TR2 S 600W but i dont think thats going to be enough, i'd rather not buy some chink shit psu

A i5 k and mobo(z370 a pro the cheapest I can find ) is a total of 419.99 and that is not including a aftermarket cooler which you have to buy since k chips don't have a stock cooler and non k chips still heat up albeit not as terrible as k chips.

The ryzen 5 1600 with the cheapest mobo a pc mate b350 is 259.99 and that is with the stock cooler included which is literally as good if not better than many $30+ aftermarket coolers

We all know the msrp will not come back for the next 3 months tops for the intel chips so for now the ryzen build is league's ahead a better value for a gaming light workstation build

Alright just need to upgrade my CPU, but my Mobo is highly outdated so I'm looking at getting more RAM and a Mobo anyway.

How's this look?

pcpartpicker.com/list/TDcfcc

I just picked the cheapest 16GB set, and I'm torn between the ASRock AB350 and the X370. I save $40 on the cheaper option, but I'm not sure if that $40 will show in the upgrade, is it worth getting?

Does my desire to buy blower vega instead of custom 1080 make me an amd fanboy?

A bit.

If it is only a ryzen 5 then a b mobo is fine and personally a msi or asus mobo would be preferable since they have better customer support from my experience than asrock but that is just my opinion

Is there a secret code word I can give to Dell rep to get a refund on the price difference of a monitor I bought?

I bought the S2716DG on their site like four days ago for $400 and now that shit is on sale at Best Buy for $350...

I messaged them up and they were like "sorry, our price guarantee excludes the week before and after Thanksgiving"...

Anyway around that or do I just have to buy the one at Best Buy and then return the one from Dell?

The 1060 is a great card I used it for about a year before upgrading my pc to a ryzen/Vega build. It ran everything I needed it to very well. It should last you for a long time.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9vb6tJ
So this is my current build. Already done, purchased, built, working. Any sub $100 recommendations for black friday with some sources?

You sound like a jew

Tell them you'll give them a high grade on the survey, majority of reps. eat that up

>getting cheapest b350 board
enjoy your pc dying

I get to 415 including cooler for the 8600k

there's literally nothing you can buy that's an upgrade below like 300$

I'm just poor.

$50 is $50.

pcpartpicker.com/list/LnMhWX
r8 & h8

How bout audio shit? Cords? Storage? Anything?

>enjoy your pc dying
Bro this ain't 2008 where it actually mattered if you got a high end mobo and PC mates have been reliable mobos for generations

that case prob only has one fan so buy another case fan

>PC mates have been reliable mobos for generations
Didn't Work On My Machine™

some good headphones or speakers :^)

Sorry had dinner.

I'd go with a 750W PSU, at the least. You have some really power hungry stuff in that build, and although a 650W caaaan power it, it is not ideal for efficiency and life expectancy of the PSU. Efficiency of a PSU is usually the best at the middle of its load (~50%).

For the cooler, I don't really have any recommendation for the AM4 platform. A decently beefy looking one is typically enough for you average home overclocking. Go AIO if you intend to really push things.

I'd get a better case but outside that it's fine

anyone know of some black friday deals on cases that can fit a full size atx board under $40?

pcpartpicker.com/list/xrhQtJ
All good, what's the cheapest good cooler that you know of?

Honestly for sub 100 nothing but headphones
Sub 500 I would say get a nixeus EDG 27S since you'll be getting 60-90 fps on most triple A games on 1440p and 100-120+ fps on esport games like csgo and overwatch

I've been trying to cheap out on the case since those will be $10 at newegg black friday, but I might get one of these since they will be $20

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119324

Not him but a scythe mugen 5 is currently under $50 and one of the best coolers on the market

If if is too big for you which most likely will be but you never know , PH-TC12DX_BK can fit any mid tower case that I've tested

>1800x
>Cheapest cooler
If you're on any sort of budget buy the 1700 and use the Wraith Spire RGB; the 1800x is a horrible value.

Well i'm getting the 1800x cause it's only 30$ bucks more, don't mind spending a bit more on the aftermarket cooler