Why exactly is a desktop better than a laptop

why exactly is a desktop better than a laptop

bigger screen, mouse and keyboard, moar power

Look at a desktop case,
Imagine how many laptops you can stuff in that

For what I do (C/++ development and some VLSI CAD), I nearly always just shell into a beefy dual-socket Linux server and work on there. So a laptop usually is fine. A few things are nicer to do locally (desktop/web app development, document creation/viewing, iPython notebooks, etc.), but modern laptops can handle these no problem.

because laptops sacrifice performance for portability.

Price/performance for mid-tier, absolute max performance when money doesn't matter

In the end it basically comes down to cooling. The actual electronics inside a desktop tower don't actually take much space - and most laptops are big enough to easily fit everything with only minor compromises (except ultrathin memes but those are memes). The problem is that the reason desktop towers are so huge is because you have a bunch of gigantic (compared to other components) heatsinks and fans everywhere, plus a lot of empty space to provide airflow (and ease of access).

If you could magically teleport heat out of a laptop at no space cost, then laptops would be easily on par with desktops. The only problem would be battery life, but then if you're using it as a desktop replacement it's going to be plugged in anyway, and if you're not then today's laptops are already pretty good.

upgradability

Exactly this and this is also why I don't like blade servers. It's all about performance. Laptops and blade server sacrifice performance for cooling and size. Nope, I like my big servers and desktops.

you can leave it on 24/7
you can play games without overheating issues
smartphones have 4GB RAM nowadays anyways
64GB pendrives are cheap
you can set up a home server and access your stuff from college/work desktops/your phone depending on what you want instead of carrying a laptop around

all this below

Because when I stand up, all the papers I left on my desktop don't fall onto the floor.

I can break it down to five points:
>Performance
>Size
>Cooling
>Upgradeable
>Bigger keyboards, screens, etc.

Normally more easy to upgrade and fix. More room in the chasis allows for more beefy and powerful components, and also more airflow. Laptops are great devices, that in a certain way are not comparable to desktops because most the time someone who has a desktop has a laptop, laptops are for portability

Better to have both, but if you had to pick one then a laptop is best

Desktops are for gaymer losers who want maximum FPS in some loser game

xd

I'm using a mix of both as main machine with a docking station and 3 monitors connected to it.

This mobile processor has similar singlecore performance to a desktop Ryzen 1800 and i don't play gaymes so the iGPU is more than enough, the battery also lasts 7-9hrs so it werks for me.

Every time I see this image it fille me with shame for my homeland. How the fuck do we fix this.

I think they complement each other. Laptop has mobility, you can take it with you, use on a couch, in bed, in other places. With desktop, you are glued to one place, but it's usually more powerful, has proper keyboard and mouse, multiple screens, you don't have to look down at the screen like when you use a laptop, etc.

Not to mention, it depends on the kind of a laptop and what you are doing with the computer. Gaming and heavy video editing? I wouldn't do that on most laptops because of the heat, fan noise, lack of power, small screen, etc. But I do love working with text on my macbook pro 13 that runs silently (0 rpm fan) during most of my work in bed or couch.

its too late

*blocks your path*

it's not, it's just cheaper.

>Buy a thinkpad
>Take out battery and leave it plugged in

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my desktop, but the leaving it plugged in argument is kind of moot.

you have an excuse to not leave your house ever, instead of thinking about why you never leave the house

basic neuroeconomics

the namefag gets it

better set battery threshold to 40-60%

I know this is extremely difficult to understand, but sometimes different things serve different purposes.