/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rode.com/microphones/smartlav-plus
hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/tiny-dac
hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/sabre-dac-uae23
my.mixtape.moe/ofrumf.flac
ebay.com/itm/STAX-SR-LAMBDA-SIGNATURE-Headphones-SRM-T1-TUBE-amplifier-unit-5m-extension/292304738415?hash=item440eb8586f:g:-AIAAOSwl-BZrFAn
imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what is the second best headphone behind the ma900

What's the second best headphone behind the MA900?

I win user

Next time

opinions on Shure SE 215s?

Way too much bass.

I'm thinking of using this lapel mic along with headphones for a livesteam.

rode.com/microphones/smartlav-plus

Will it connect to a PC? I know the jack will fit, but is there some subtle compatability issue?

Also if there's a better thread to ask in, please tell me.

The more I read about it there more I am convinced the HD800 is the better than the HD800S.

Granted, not the stock model but the SuperDupont modded version.

On the HD800S the sound stage doesn't sound as "wide" as in the HD800

While the HD800 is a "cold" headphone, it also provides better detail retrieval out of the two.

Since the HD800 are not pre-eq one can run any tub/amp combination to make them sound to your liking.

> Roughly $300
> Open
> Neutral
> Good soundstage

Please recommend.

>decent dacs are all the same

So that means that this fucking thing is as good as a £100 modi?

hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/tiny-dac

If not, how about this one:

hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/sabre-dac-uae23

the final redpill is the atticus + hd800 + tube combo.

it was made to pair with the hd800 as a companion, being the polar opposite of them and 300ohm so you can use them both together with a tube amp. he even admits he had it in mind when making them as he loves his hd800 and tubes

Probably better considering the modi measures like schiitâ„¢

>iMac output impedance is 24 Ohm
What does this mean? My headphones are 50 Ohms so do I need an amp?

>Good soundstage
This is completely subjective. Some will prefer a wide soundstage, some a narrow soundstage, some in-between.
If by "good" you mean "wide," then the headphones you are looking for do not exist and you're going to have to accept a tradeoff between neutral and wide soundstage. HD600 are neutral with a narrow soundstage. AKG K702 are bright with a wide soundstage. Pick between them based on if you want to prioritize tonality or soundstage width.

Akg k7xx

These have too much bass and this tripfag is a retard and should be ignored.

Agreed there. Tubes will make the headphone sound warm while still retaining all of its great properties.

Just need to find a good used pair and I'm golden.

>this tripfag is a retard and should be ignored.
seconding this

my.mixtape.moe/ofrumf.flac

I Enjoy the way my DT880 and my K701 sounds would a pair of STAX SR-Lambda Signature be a good upgrade?

you can EQ them to have flatter bass, but the mids and highs are fairly competent on them. Plus, they have a wide soundstage.

I want to lick her feet

Things like "soundstage and detail" are contingent on the magnitude response of the headphone. The coloration, tonality if you will, of the headphone creates the impression of soundstage and detail.
>not pre-EQ
The headphone has its own coloration.
The DIY resonator is an acoustic form of EQ.
Coldness tends to relate to excess treble or lack of bass.

As little as I think about Chord's ad copy, the design is fine enough. Also, saying their layouts are simple is being somewhat unfair to Chord.

nice samefagging.

the k7xx have a wide soundstage and are on the warm side of neutral. there's nothing wrong with that recommendation.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

I had them for a about a year. Pretty niggerish and got uncomfortable after a couple hours of use.

>It's another "The K7XXs have too much bass" episode
Stop this meme

Thirding this.

Nice samefagging. In b4 you post a screenshot "proving" you're not the same poster even though posting with two different IPs and/or devices is piss easy.

Wrong question at the wrong time, my dear user
Which are poorly sealed MA900s, btw

What utter bollocks.

t. increasingly nervous HD800S owner

what you thinking about the DT880 from beyerdynamic?

It's not good.

nice samefagging

we all know you're schizo user, just take your meds

Brighter side of neutral, very comfy. They have a treble peak that can be ironed out with EQ.

it Could be worse take a look at my chart from up there

>feet picture
>she's not even wearing the headphones
this is just lazy

Where did this meme come from? Last time, it was only one user samefagging

It's bassy, lots of subbass in particular.
Over the ear fit, uses detachable MMCX connector.
Isolation is fairly good, the foam sleeves bundled are fairly nice.

Where did you get that graph from?
I think the 701 is somewhat closer to the Lambda Sig, but not quite.
They have more midbass than the Lambda Sig should have, usually.

The 250ohm is the best out of the three

It's just the tripfag replying to himself

sent them to someone in Austria who is an Audio Engineer and thats the graph with the large set of ears which explains why my graph for my Pioneer monitor 10 IIs came out looking like utter dog shit

Prove me wrong user

>Tubes will make the headphone sound warm while still retaining all of its great properties.

Wow, it's like I'm in SBAF.

Are you sure, user?

this is the pioneer's graph

Source on pic?

he also provided me a means of Eqing the DT880s

Holy jezzus Like ive said I sent it to an audio engineer in Austria who used the Equipment at his job

I think people just like to project their insecurities

Good gaming cans under $200 in the U.S? Was thinking 579s, but I've never used open back headphones before, so I don't know if I'd like the sound to leak.

Modified HD800 has less bass and rougher treble than the HD800S.

EQ provides better shaping of sound with less distortion than physical modding does

Forgot to mention comfort is a huge thing.

AKG K7XX, AKG K702, Audio-Technica AD900X are all considered good headphones for gaming and comfort

Are wireless earbuds viable yet?

hey guys, i asked about amps a week ago and just recently got my magni 3 and plugged it into the back of my computer.. when i have it on high i get some feedback noises. what can i do to fix this? I need a DAC, right? ive seen a lot of people pair the magni 3 with a modi is that my best option or should i just keep the magni on the low switch

try a $15 spdif to rca adapter first

Do you know what ear he used?
Both sets measured by the same person?
>Eqing
Did you ever get around to implementing it? Thoughts?

I'm not clear on what you dislike about your current headphones though.

What ear pads should I get for my MB Quart Quart Phone 70?

If you want closed cans, that is good bass and soundstage and excellent comfort (probably THE most comfortable phones in existence with light clamp and massive heavenly pads) try dt770.
Word of advice - you will sweat in summer especially if fatass, so dont be a fatass

I have a pair of zs5's which are great, but for some reason at certain high volumes one of the channels tends to kick out, and it does it with my ps4 as well. Anyone know why?

I can ask what ear but I haven't received them back at the moment waiting on him to get a good day to look into detail shipping costs so I can send him the money

Eqing not yet as i havent got them back and i dont know how to use the said info will have to look it up

but nothing is wrong but since I was able to demo some LCD-2s Elears and HE1000 V2s I know there is a marginal bit that i have been missing

Been looking at this pair

ebay.com/itm/STAX-SR-LAMBDA-SIGNATURE-Headphones-SRM-T1-TUBE-amplifier-unit-5m-extension/292304738415?hash=item440eb8586f:g:-AIAAOSwl-BZrFAn

You keep saying this. Do dacs matter, or do you just hate an actual company. It's getting weird at this point.

How are these for someone with a fatass head? Some retard suggested me Hyper CloudX the last time I was in a headphone general, and they couldn't fit me.

Hd579 are the best you can do

there is a noticable improvement going from a random delock DAC to the cca 100$ audioquest dragonfly.
Dt770 stretch nicely and have height adjustments, I have large ears and they are perfect for me.

>Do dacs matter, or do you just hate an actual company.
moving the goal post. the fact of the matter is that schiit produces lower quality dacs than chinese vendors

>Fatass head
The K7XX and K702 will fit your head; the earpads are surprisingly large and roomy too. The AD900X will especially fit your head with that type of headband.

The akgs have been known to be too small for really big heads and the two hard bars at the top end up digging into one's skull

Kek. Nonsense; the headband doesn't even stretch that far when not used.

One last question. Since I'll be needing a stand mic, and since the Yeti, which I plan on getting, comes with an audio jack, is it better to plug my cable into that, my case, the motherboard, or does it not matter?

I like the Audio-Technica so far, but I'm not certain on anything yet. I wish I could hear them before buying.

The audio technicas have absolutely no bass and this can significantly decrease immersion

Also yes both were measured by the same guy

Just plug it into the motherboard. Plugging your headphone into the Yeti makes your headphone sound "warmer" and lose detail, if that makes sense.

You're talking about the AD500X, not the AD900X

No I'm talking about ad900 which have no bass at all

Based on? Bass is not exaggerated but it certainly is not lacking. Compared to which headphone, are you talking about?

imgur.com/gallery/bKU4H

HD579 are a perfect choice. They sound great, have great positioning for gaming and will fit your head. I have a huge head and own them and they are very comfy.

>He doesn't see the pair of headphones in the phone

Pic + timestamp?

No sub-bass, no upper midrange.

Low fidelity garbage.

Known to have worse positioning than its predecessors; would not recommend for gaming

That's your cue to post your headphones!

Not him. They have no bass.

>Budget
$1.5k

>Location
USA

>Source
PC Need Dac and Amp as the amp and dac arent up to snuff after an upgrade to what I'm looking at

>Type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
Could strap bricks to my head if they sound good enough

>Sound signature
Neutral

>Past headphones
AKG K701 Pioneer Monitor 10II Beyerdynamic DT880 from 1980 MB Quart Quartphone 70

I had the opportunity to try Elear and LCD-2 liked the LCD-2 more but I also tried a pair of HE1000 v2 and those were the best of the 3 but should I try for a used LCD-3 if i can find it at a good price and what would that price?

Why?

Because you are no headphones user, of course. We've been doing this whole jig for about a month now

Makes sense.

Stuck between the K702 and AD900X.

>Comfort level
>Could strap bricks to my head if they sound good enough
Don't joke with this user
you cannot minmax IRL
If you want perfect bass and midrange at the expense of comfort I can personally come to your phone and bang drums while screaming for a lot less than $1.5k

your initial instinct was right about 579 they are not just the best gaming headphones under 200 they are the best headphones under 200

Source on pic? How do they compare to other headphones from the website?

wrong

>all these different opinions about which headphone is the best
>only have $200
>can't hear any of them before buying
Why is this so hard?

Dude... Stop samefagging...

Damn son that is some serious nobass

What is a good headphone if I want to monitor what I am recording onto tape.
Tape machine is a TEAC A-3440

Correct

>opinions are fucking worthless
You need to learn how to read graphs and pick the objectively best choice for your taste. People who post opinions here are merely justifying their purchases.