How long have you been programming?

As a beginner most of you fuckers are pretty intimidating.
How long have you been programming?

Other urls found in this thread:

catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

36 years

Nice that‘s impressive

23 now, started when I was 15.

Not OP but where else do you lurk/cpntribute to? Any ircs?

36 and 23 years is definitely a lot of time to git gud

I really just come to Sup Forums to shit talk, and meme. You mean what I contribute to on github? I do a lot with Chef and Ansible and Ruby in general. It’s my favorite language to work with.

Oh, I think you misunderstood. I am 23, I started when I was 15 so only 8 years

Professionally? About 5 years
As a hobby, probably 10 years.

7-8 years. Take it easy.

Nothing but html and css from 16 to 21, short stint with GML from 21 to 24, nothing but javascript and c# from 24 to 28.

And you know what, I haven't *really* learned a thing.

Since April 2016.

Long answer: Dabbled in Python in my junior year of college (2013). Was more focused on my major to do much besides the simple code academy shit.
Decided I didn't want to teach English in Asia anymore and that I wanted to be one of those non-existent digital nomad types so I started learning html css and javascript. Did that through treehouse's tutorials for a few months then decided to take a local community college course in javascript and realized I knew more that the instructor.
Now I'm back in school for my second bachelor's, this time in Computer Science. I'd say I've made good progress in programming and am on track to success, plus I'm not so set on the digital nomad meme anymore.

3 years here as well. Is this considered new?

about ten years. in the last three years i'd say i've finally gotten "good" enough that i can tackle basically any project i want. takes time, but is worth it.

1.5, I have to learn about events now

6 years.

here
just to add to that - it only took maybe six months to a year to get good enough to hold down a job.
i learnt it all by doing tutorials and copying things, changing them to see how they worked. now days i read a lot of source code to pick up new concepts, and i just keep challenging myself to learn new stuff.
recently i've been learning about embedded software by writing drivers for simple hardware - last week i wrote low-level drivers for a ps/2 keyboard in freertos. i'm probably never going to *use* those drivers, but i had to learn (and revise) a ton of stuff to make it work.

12 years.

Started with C in high school.

there are no hormone trannies that have a more shapely body

When did the first Lego Mindstorms come out?
I got that one as a kid, it was similar as "programming" witch Scratch.
A bit later I started with C.

I dont program, i code.
10 years on and off

Started learning actual programming right before I turned 19. Graduated from a private university with a one-year co-op when I was 23. Entered actual workforce at 24, and just turned 28.

To break it down, the first two years of my education were good core skills. The last two years were too specialized to be of any real career use, but I reflect on some of the topics here and there. The one-year co-op was like getting my feet wet. The first job out of college was a two-year slog through red tape and bullshit. I have been at my current job for over a year and a half. In that time I have learned more than everything else I learned before it.

Coding is less of a science and somewhere between a craft and sorcery, as far as I've experienced it. Don't be afraid to look at code that's been done already. The DOOM source code is great.

Keep at it, OP. It's super fun. Get some basic interview skills and you'll land something nice.

started when i was 15, basically stopped in college because i didn't touch a shred of code for three years in college, only picking it up again now at 22

was a mistake and years 18-21 has been a completely forgettable waste of my time

since 96

2 months. Learning python on my own. Shit blows.

14+ years, since I was in my mid-teens. Mainly web dev these days, maintain a few js libraries, work with opengl.

chin up m8

Let's see. I'm 31 and I started when I was 12. So google "31-12" and put " years" after the result.

26 years professionally, I started dabbling in stuff on an apple ][+ about 10 years before that.

34, I teach undergraduates how to program. They're retarded and don't bother to learn any of the concepts, syntax or follow any kind of conventions. I've got people in first year on CompSci courses that can't do simple for loops to add up 10 numbers after 6 months lecturing, but I think thats just because they're pakistani.

Python really isn't a fun language to do anything in. It feels cheap and it enforces bad habits. When you get passed arrays and dictionaries, dump python and pick up the C programming language by K&R (if your comprehension of new topics is good and you learn quickly) or C Programming a modern approach by K. N. King (If you're strugglng). Complete either book and do every single exercise including the extra challenge questions, if you're stuck on one problem for longer than a day, make a note of it and go back to it 1-2 chapters later.

You should be able to make the majority of your programs with C. But you should think about picking up at least one OOP language, trying to write some old projects in assembly and learning about computer architecture. (Computer Organization and Design by Patterson and Hennessy, is a great book for this. It comes with its own 32 bit MIPS simulator and IDE). SICP is also something you should consider going through, but its fairly heavy for begginers.

Then pick a direction you think sounds fun and go for it.

10 years. I first learned php along with HTML as i liked to build websites when I was 13.

I've always sucked at programming, I think I'm going to give K&R a try.

23 years, started with BASIC when I was 10. I'm hardly a pro, just a hobbyist, but I've written in BASIC, C#, javascript, HTML, Python, as well as throwing together a handful of bash and DOS shell scripts for automating things I found myself doing manually too often.

I can only ever remember how to do the one I've been working with most recently though...

A month or two with C#, methods/classes are still going over my head

24 years total, 13 of them for a living (and the rest as a childhood/teenage hobby)

Are you me?

wow same

johan is that you

is programming creative do you have to tackle problems on your own or after learning enough it comes automatically?
i really get scared that programming is kinda creative and if you don't have talent you are ruined, like in other engineering you just learn processes and apply them, there is no creativity involved but in usual programming/tech related jobs is it also like that or you have to be a code artisans and keep on thinking of new ways and pieces to come up with. please help i am scared

Imagine that instead of programs, computers ran on freethrows. There'd be a handful of very talented people that can make freethrows damn near every time, but there'd also be a lot more companies hiring basketball players then there are talented players out there, so some of those jobs will inevitably go to short white guys.

I know that was a shit analogy, but I bet I'm the first person to ever talk about sports on Sup Forums.

>can't do simple for loops to add up 10 numbers
Please tell me you're joking. I know the bare minimum and even I can do that. Is CS a mistake?

idk at least 5 or so. but I'm really lazy and haven't been studying and learning enough

Where do I unironically start?

>CS is a meme
So heres the run down , you can be a brainlet and pass CS but you can also learn core concepts and pass CS. It ends up boiling down to you not really the degree anyone can get the degree but not everyone understands the material.

Take this how you will.

oooh i understand i am a baseball player than.

What about for machine learning?

How good is your math skills ?
Theres a lot of frameworks that allow you to make machine learning algorithms but if your math skills are weak you'll be useless.

5 years, professionally for 1 year.

I learned that time spent programming is largely irrelevant because a lot of these dinosaurs are stuck in their ways and were hired through lack of choice in the past.

They:
>Cant use an IDE, don't know how fucking debugging works
>Still using dynamically typed hipster languages to produce large scale projects
>Believes the good code is self commenting meme and never writes any comments
>Sacrafice readability for efficiency over and over again

They're not all bad but holy hell a lot of them are.

I don't even know what year I started. All I know is I learned some variant of basic at an after school program back when floppies were still common.

>Sacrafice readability for efficiency over and over again
Depending on the type of software this doesnt seem like a problem.

Ill give you the rest seems kinda bad.Dont know how you can made "Efficient code" when you cant debug, so my belief of this post is very minimal.

my nigga, this made me smile.
I've been at it for 8 years, makes me feel like shit for not being as good as I thought I could be with 8 years... but I feel good that I'm not a useless jobless fuck like most of you.

3 years, I started when I was 18

Stay positive user , a lot of people here havent done much more than a Fizz Buzz Implementation and Discord Bots.

The people who actually do program for most their living have less time than the kids here as a result you probably see a lot more stupidity.

Frustrating reading threads like this, it’s the same every time whether it be iq, salary or whatever else. Of course youve all been programming 20 years and are now 30yo. Anyway I’ve been learning programming for about 6month.

Dont worry about it user , just remember the best way to learn is doing what you like. basically meaning after you get the basics down of the language you are interested start working on small programming projects you are interested in that way youll end up learning a lot more and produce something you enjoy so it will keep you motivated.

17 years, started around age 13

yes

Not him b-but the hackerfaq told me to learn Python.
catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

>dump python and pick up the C programming language by K&R (if your comprehension of new topics is good and you learn quickly)
This is terrible advice, K&R is not made for newbies and is almost the equivalent of sending a physics newbie to read Landau Lifshitz. Some survive but most run the fuck away.
>You should be able to make the majority of your programs with C. But you should think about picking up at least one OOP language, trying to write some old projects in assembly and learning about computer architecture.
This is very good advice, especially before digging into C. Don't forget to read the basics on how operating systems work either by skimming Tanenbaum or Stallings. Learning about scheduling, virtual memory, I/O together with computer architecture basics will make undefined behavior in C make sense at least.