Firefox is BACK BABY

57 fixes all the issues. It's super fast and responsive now. It's the fastest browser out there right now. I was a little annoyed since FF was sluggish and slow, but I kept with it because I refuse to give into Google.

The YEAR OF THE FIREFOX is upon us!

Other urls found in this thread:

mayhemydg.github.io/archives.json/archives.json
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/javascript-control/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

still lags when scrolling

works here
there is a hardware acceleration setting in options

57 is great. The question is: will Mozilla fuck it up? Will Firefox get slower, and more bloated over time again like it did before?

I have a cheap laptop and 56 was constantly going into slow mo mode for me and being unresponsive. 57 is absolutely perfect and fast as hell. I love it.

#YearoftheFirefox

Fucking greasemonkey stopped working for me entirely. None of my scripts install properly.

You either get re-writes for more speed or you kep your addons. Which do you want? This is short term pain for long term gain.

>Choosing the good but wrong logo instead of the bad but right logo

Mine got slower and takes up way more memory. Tell me how to fix it.

takes up too much cpu

3-12% on my end brah.

chrome faster

Just install Tampermonkey.

POST YOUR THEMES
does your theme match your desktop anons?

use hardware acceleration

>use hardware acceleration

That's nto on by default?!?

>barely noticeable increase in speed
>most of my extensions don't work
I'll stick with Waterfox. I can barely tell the difference in speed.

>>barely noticeable increase in speed

It's twice as fast, which is a HUGE impact on lower end systems. I have a cheap laptop and the difference between 56 and 57 is night vs day.

I dunno.

My gaming rig is only 18 months old and I can barely tell the difference between Waterfox and 57 (57 is slightly snappier). I've had my Firefox set up the same way (more or less) since 1.5, now it's impossible.

For the things that needed the speed, it's still noticeably slower than V8+WebKit. For things that didn't, it doesn't matter. There are some happy mediums that will be a bit zippier and I guess that's nice, but if that's the only selling point and it sacrificed so much to get there, then "good job, you're ALMOST Chrome. So why should people use you over Chrome?"

>57 fixes all the issues.
and now i can hardly customize the UI relative to 56's flexibility, and extensibility in general has been hit hard

so while firefox may load a few seconds faster, it does way less than it could a mere week ago

mine idles at 14% which is bad for me
qutebrowser does like 4%
firefox esr is good too
but quantum uses too much and makes my fans spin faster

On the other hand, Firefox can now use Chrome's extensions. So that's a big plus.

>On the other hand, Firefox can now use Chrome's extensions. So that's a big plus.
You mean those limited as fuck extensions that barely change Chrome?

My good ol chrome with 16-20 tabs uses 2-3% cpu at most, even when watching 2-3 videos, some more than Full HD.

I Open firefox (the new one) and I get 90% init CPU load, in 10-20 seconds goes to 20 and keeps there with only 2 tabs, one YouTube, other Facebook.

Is this good?

No, I mean Chrome extensions. Some are more useful than others, but I wouldn't say that they barely have an effect.

i'd pay to have a good browser i'm tired desu

1- Google firefox refresh
2- Stop being a retarded child that needs to get everything spoon fed to him

>THEMES
>the only thing that changes is the address bar color

Fucking retarded, i want my FT DeepDark back.

>FT DeepDark
Fuck you I want my NASA launch back.

It looks slightly different now and I don't like that

The second option is the obvious choice. What's the point in web browsing being fast if it's unusable due to all the add-ons breaking?

>What's the point in web browsing being fast if it's unusable due to all the add-ons breaking?
I'm glad you admit that Firefox Quantum is fast, but the second part is an absolutist, black and white, all or nothing argument, which is neither correct nor constructive.

Is anyone else getting random hangs with high CPU usage in Linux?

Im getting that and only solution I've found is to close the tab. This happens to me in several Google services like gmail, YouTube and Google search

>can't use noscript, downthemall, or EXhentai extensions
Fuck this garbage.

>Firefox 57

I'm already on 59 though.

>NASA launch
I can't imagine anyone with this bad of a taste, i bet you think deprecating Windows XP was a mistake too.

>>can't use noscript, downthemall, or EXhentai extensions
>Fuck this garbage.
>addons developers get 2 years in advance to fix their shit
>they don't
>somehow this is mozilla's fault

>in Linux?
Thats your porblem.

>57 fixes all the issues.
It doesn't. Memory usage is still very high and climbs infinitely. Is there a way to stop the memory leak, or at least to automatically run garbage collection? I'm so sick of browsers not doing anything to optimize memory usage and blaming it on addons. The only browser with good memory usage is Slimjet, but it's laggy compared to Quantum, so I don't want to go back.

Umatrix is better than noscript anyway.

Also you don't need sad panda extensions you pleb

It was the best.

Shut the hell up you shill.

You cant install no-script anymore. They are spying on you.

>somehow this is mozilla's fault
Yes it is.

It was the only thing that stopped it from looping on itself despite me having all logins and credentials in the clear. Not sure why.

After resetting settings on Sup Forums x on FFQ I keep getting

Error fetching archive data from mayhemydg.github.io/archives.json/archives.json
Connection Error this error.

You literally can't be this retarded.

You can't install noscript anymore because Giorgio keeps breaking his own self-imposed deadlines without saying wtf is going wrong with the porting process. First NoScript was supposed to come out before FF 57 goes live. Then it was supposed to come out on the 14th, then by the end of last week.

Do you use twitch user

I had an issue with the 'favourite/recent sites'' thing (or whatever it's called) when you open the browser, if twitch was there it would explode and eat memory

Think I just right clicked and removed them all

ff shills put in force today
as usual you fa/g/s play right in

I do use twitch, and it is a pretty massive memory hog, but it happens with or without it. Memory just keeps climbing and FF does nothing at all about it.

I just want downladthemall back

Img2tab and Save Images made downloading shit in mass from here easy as fuck. Now, it's all over.

As a couple of others have said, it really was excellent back in the day.

Mozilla didn't have everything ready to go 2 years ago, a lot of shit is still being dropped into place to make stuff work. They do get to carry at least some of the blame.

Check you don't have it blocked in uMatrix or uBlock. That's the script that redirects to the Sup Forums archives for when a picture has been deleted/thread trimmed.

It's a design choice rather than a bug. They've got all kinds of pre-fetching and "keep pages in memory" shit that basically means it will eat as much memory as you can give it. Turn off pre-fetching to trim back a lot of it. The keeping pages in memory shit isn't going anywhere though, and frankly you wouldn't want to give it up, it's super useful.

what's wrong with the new logo?

fix your fire fox turn on multi threaded cpu
should fix over use of one core.

you can also delete history as chache this should free up your browser other wise this is bait.

Btw if i can get 80% useage on a pentum 4 1st gen
your's should be a huge strech.

Btw youtube uses the most cpu turn down the res in the menu
it whould massively increase on crappy systems.

>Check you don't have it blocked in uMatrix or uBlock. That's the script that redirects to the Sup Forums archives for when a picture has been deleted/thread trimmed.
Which one am I looking at for uMatrix? All the ones with Sup Forums or whatever in it are green lit I'm too unfamiliar with uMatrix to know what to enable.

>Turn off pre-fetching to trim back a lot of it.
How do I do that?

>he keeping pages in memory shit isn't going anywhere though, and frankly you wouldn't want to give it up, it's super useful.
It's really not useful. It doesn't do anything except for slowing up my browser. I know, because the longer I use it, and the slower it gets. Restarting or even running "minimize memory usage" in about:memory both bring back speed.

Fun times on this one..

You need to find an image that's been deleted and try and view it, that will trigger the script that's being blocked, then it will show up in uMatrix. Once it's been loaded by Sup Forums-x it stays in memory, so it keeps erroring out when you refresh, but if you close and re-open firefox, it will fix the issue because it's not trying to load the script.

tl;dr - Find a deleted image, wait for it to fail, check uMatrix for github and enable access.

Asks me how to turn off a feature then argues about the use of another feature.

It's useful because it saves page states as well as the page. If it was just keeping the imagery and markup in memory, I'd agree with you. Being able to hit back on a form and have it repopulate the whole thing is super useful.

type about:config into your address bar.
type in prefetch in search.
adjust the relevant option (you might need to google..)

>firefox has gone from one process to two process to six processes

>Fun times on this one..
>
>You need to find an image that's been deleted and try and view it, that will trigger the script that's being blocked, then it will show up in uMatrix. Once it's been loaded by Sup Forums-x it stays in memory, so it keeps erroring out when you refresh, but if you close and re-open firefox, it will fix the issue because it's not trying to load the script.
>
>tl;dr - Find a deleted image, wait for it to fail, check uMatrix for github and enable access.
I see, but I get the error I posted even when I'm just loading the catelog. Basically no matter which part of Sup Forums I visit, I always get that error message first, is this still the same issue you are talking about then? It just seems not so specific from my layman understanding.

It isn't. The addon devs are just incapable of following simple evolution.

all the new add-ons work better for me honestly, the old session manager was a fucking nightmare to use especially, it just needs a good download bar

Yeah, same issue.

You're getting it because it tried to fire in the past and tries to reload each time a new Sup Forums instance is opened. Was driving me insane.

It won't show back up in uMatrix until it tries to reload the script. Right PITA.

Allow me to demonstrate.

>It's useful because it saves page states as well as the page. If it was just keeping the imagery and markup in memory, I'd agree with you. Being able to hit back on a form and have it repopulate the whole thing is super useful.
Now you're confusing the memory in the browser itself with caching, which is done on the HDD. I have caching disable because I don't need my browser to ruin my HDD by constantly writing useless info to it.

>type in prefetch in search.
Alright, I'll try that, thanks.

No I'm not. Session state is saved to disk, past loaded pages are kept in memory for a pre-determined number of navigations (I think there's a config flag to set it, but it's been ages since I looked).

Their argument has been it makes it easier to go back etc. I personally don't understand why they don't write it to disk, my drives can handle it :\

Try and view the image, should fire the script for you.

I tried to view the image, and I saw the image perfectly fine, so panicked and wanted to re-read your post, then I realized I didn't open it in a new tab. By now I can no longer see your image. I feel like an idiot.

>No I'm not. Session state is saved to disk, past loaded pages are kept in memory for a pre-determined number of navigations
Then why is it that it's not the case for me? My FF doesn't keep any page in memory. Anytime I click back, it reloads the entire page.

>You need to find an image that's been deleted and try and view it, that will trigger the script that's being blocked, then it will show up in uMatrix. Once it's been loaded by Sup Forums-x it stays in memory, so it keeps erroring out when you refresh, but if you close and re-open firefox, it will fix the issue because it's not trying to load the script.

I closed and reopened Firefox it changed nothing. I'm confused what I'm even supposed to block or unblock or yeah I dunno.

Nevermind I'm fucking retarded and might have fixed it, thank you so much for the help.

i know. what i mean is that firefox still is inherently slower in rendering than chrome and safari. open more than 10 tabs and it starts choking

Updating 57 I went to task manager to see what made it start even slower.
attrib.exe is hogging my CPU at 60%.
Thanks Mozilla.

At least ebay listing descriptions are working for me again. I don't know if anyone else had this problem even in safemode

It's better than the last updates I guess.

Anytime mate :)

Couldn't tell you. My pages reload immediately with no network activity beyond cache checking. Might be related to the amount of memory in your system.

If that's the case, probably not what's causing your memory issues.

It's embarrassing but it turns out I just wasn't reading the words on the error right because it was an orange background, and then it turns out I blocked it on uMatrix.

Being new to uMatrix having only started using it thanks to FF57, I have a rather hard time figuring out what breaks and what doesn't break sites. It feels like it's more versatile than noscript, but at the same time just something a caveman like me will take a long time figuring out. Well, everyone warned me it would be like that so whatever.

Happens to the best of us. Don't stress it.

Only tip with uMatrix is disable it (globally, like the whole addon) when you're doing online payments. The number of redirects where it fucks up something in the process causing double billing.. Quite irksome.

Woah, now that sounds very important. Thanks again, I'm glad I haven't tried doing that yet.

I can't access skript options in greasemonkey anymore. How do I get to the linkify plus plus options page?

WHY IS it so fucking ugly now?

how do you fix this shit

>fixes all the issues
Please.

Here's correct and constructive: it's impossible in FF57 to have mouse gestures on internal pages, which makes the browser unusable for me. Until FF team fixes their broken by design shit, I'm not switching.

by sacrficing extensions that have been working and are useful, noscript, greasemonkey etc.

the alternative then?

They didn't sacrifice NoScript. NoScript was supposed to come out a week ago and Giorgio even made a blog update post this weekend where he said he was still planning to get it done by the end of the week, meaning yesterday. No one knows why it's taking him so long.

for linux it's still 200~300mb
install gentoo

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/javascript-control/

trying slimjet
forces me to use their inbuilt ad blocker instead of allowing me to use ublock origin
in fact it force cancels the ublock origin download from the chrome store

mad drop

You've gotta be doing something wrong, because I've always used ublock origin on it with no issues. Pic related.

Is there a way to get Sup Forums x working on ESR?

fuck i'm a retard
i just downloaded umatrix a few seconds before and didn't configure it and it blocked the ublock download
ignore me

Why does Sup Forums keep going back to the yostuba theme on FF57? Every time I set it to tomorrow it gets reset, but other settings (like legacy captcha) don't.
I just found out captcha wasn't working because of tracking protection.

>I just found out captcha wasn't working because of tracking protection.

What do you mean? I have the tracking protection stuff in firefox settings enabled and both captcha versions work for me. Or do you mean some setting in uMatrix / ublock or some other addon?

I couldn't figure it out, the only add-ons I have are uMatrix and uBlock. Just disabling them did nothing, but the captcha came back when running FF in safe mode.
By chance I disable tracking protection and it worked. I think safe mode worked because I said to use tracking protection everywhere, which isn't a default setting

this is shilling levels set to autism.
it looks like shit, acts like shit, and is shit.

I haven't been paying attention to memory usage, but UI and page rendering speed seems the same to me.

Firefox is SHIT BABY

Quantum 57 dumped all the great add-ons

Now I need to find something to attempt to replace DLTA but I will need a different browser first

it's hideous.

Quantum loses to chrome in Mozilla’s own benchmark.

Mobile Safari also comes close to Firefox’s score and it’s a fucking mobile
Browser.

I tested chrome and quantum in a clean VM, running on a FX-8320 @ 4ghz with 16GB of memory available.

Chrome scored 47.51, quantum scored 35.47.

Mobile safari on my phone scores 34.46.

i'm going insane over the vertical side scroll bar even in fullscreen. It won't stop looking at me. must get rid of it ... reeeeeeeeee!