I'm gonna bite the bullet and install Alpine Linux on my laptop this week to replace Windows...

I'm gonna bite the bullet and install Alpine Linux on my laptop this week to replace Windows. I want sone inspiration for GUI programs so I can try something different. What does Sup Forums use for:
>terminal emulation
>tiling wm
>compositor
>statusbar/systray/sysinfo
>wallpaper switcher
>lock/login screen

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/CPU_frequency_scaling
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>drawn

>Shit literally copy pasted all over the image.

urxvt
i3
implying
i3bar
implying
implying

I want something on my desktop when I switch to an empty workspace or whatever; it's just nice to look at. As for login screen I used to just startx into i3 but I feel like my workflow would be better utilising the GUI a bit more

no bully

Terminal Emulation: st
Tiling WM: bspwm
Compositor: compton if you want that
Statusbar: Polybar
Wallpapers: feh --bg-scale
Lock: i3lock
Login screen/Display manger: SDDM

wtf does all this shit mean? are you some sort of retard that needs to fuck around with every part of your OS just to feel like you can get work done?

Here's some advice:

1. visit distrowatch's website
2. pick from the top 10 distros
3. install loonix
4. get some fucking work done

You must be new to Sup Forums

I've used ubuntu + gnome, I've used debian, I've used arch and I'm unhappy with each. Alpine is a great minimal distro, I can set it up in a day or two and have it running how I want, I don't have to worry about random shit breaking. And I want a tiling wm because I have used both tiling and free wms and I perform my work better in tiling wms. So yeah I know what I'm asking

nope
>I can set it up in a day or two
day or two of productivity lost
>I don't have to worry about random shit breaking
when you fuck around needlessly with your OS you're opening yourself up to future problems/frustrations.

I lose a day or two of productivity cleaning up after systemd, apt, and glibc, so what is your argument again?

I'm not sure you'll care for Alpine if you don't like Arch, they strike me as similar in approach.

I already use Alpine for servers and have never had issues. Arch's systemd dependencies get in my way and I have had legitimate issues with systemd randomly not working.

Meanwhile, Alpine with a custom builr grsec kernel, musl, and openrc is godlike. The repos are also pretty decent so I can grab most of the programs I need and be done with it. And if something isn't how I like it then I don't have to jump through hoops trying to get the distro to do what I want

>busybox barebones server OS is the same as a ricer meme OS

lol stop pretending you know what you are talking about

>shitposter's commentaries on how a filename inaccurately encompasses every single medium incorporated into a piece of anime fanart
gz for making the second comment though, (((friend)))

I strongly agree with this.

there is absolutely no benifit to using a login manger, I'm all for making good use of gui stuff but you will only be hindered by adding a login screen

You completely missed the dual meaning of the post and your transparent fumbling shadow of a musing exposes the boring knee jerk response of a frustrated triggered brainlet using big words.

none? This is my laptop so I often leave it locked when I'm away so others don't snoop around on it (it's happened before). I'd hate to kill X every time I leave the keyboard

If you need to ask, just install the whole fucking DE.

Minimalist alternative software is unusable for people incapable of discovering and learning it on their own.

Don't forget screenfetch, htop, ncmpcpp, vim, and an anime wallpaper

If you absolutely need to lock the computer when you walk away use something along the lines of i3lock, but leave the actual managing of logging in to the cli

I could just use i3 like I normally do but I wanted to see if anyone else was happier with other software

Alright thanks

>not using xlockmore

What the FUCK is wrong with kids these days

>terminal emulation
terminator
>tiling wm
i3-gaps
>compositor
compton
>statusbar/systray/sysinfo
polybar
>wallpaper switcher
feh
>lock/login screen
lightdm + webkit greeter

>Alpine Linux
Why?
The distro is not really meant to be used for desktops, it is more focused for embedded systems.
>various
>i3 (gaps is a meme, borders are a waste of space)
>-
>i3bar (I auto hide, so that it does not wast space, it appears when pressing alt)
>feh
>gdm (because I do not care to switch it)

>webkit greeter
It's either Alpine or another lightweight distro like Gentoo or Slackware. And my laptop has shitty CPU specs so I want a binary package repository. What makes Alpine unsuitable for desktops if it works fine for me?

Also seems like everyone's suggesting i3. Is that really the best choice or is it the only thing anyone tries? I used awesomewm a while back and have been debating whether to give that another shot.

>What makes Alpine unsuitable for desktops if it works fine for me?
Of course you can use it, but the developers are more focused on embedded systems or smaller servers.
You could also look into void, but in the end it is not important if it works well for you.

>Is that really the best choice or is it the only thing anyone tries?
I have tried a few others, but i3 is doing exactly what I want to do.
It is easy to configure with a lot of options, but there are of course many others worth looking into.
Herbstluftwm, for example has some interesting features, which enable more deliberate placement of windows and other nice things, but in the end this really didn't matter for me.

The choice is mostly about what you want to do and for most people i3 is enough to fulfill all their needs.

I might try Void in a VM sometime, that does look interesting.

And alright, I'll stick with i3 since it's well supported and it's a popular choice.

can i get a source on that image

>Alpine on laptop
Rip your battery. Alpine doesn't have dynamic CPU frequency scaling turned on. It will suck it like with full usage no matter what.

the wallpaper?

Yeah, but its fine now. I managed to track it down.

why aren't you using arch?????

good luck, alpine's harder to get working than even arch is, nothing's compatible with it

None of the programs people have mentioned ITT so far will even work

Isn't that a kernel setting? I have my own kernel config
Read the thread
Why, because of musl? I'll do some research first but I haven't had issues compiling against musl for stuff on my server

wiki.alpinelinux.org/wiki/CPU_frequency_scaling