Just bought a PC for $100

Just bought a PC for $100

How did I do?

Not so good. That pc's worth like $30 tops.

Bought a computer that's similarly specc'd but years newer and faster for $50 from a university surplus

with monitor?
the most valuable part of this pc is the ram

Similarly specc'd but years newer?

You got a good deal.
cpu - $25
ram - $70
motherboard - $25
hdd - $40
gpu - $35
case and psu - $25

Where I live those would be the prices.

Depends on the case and PSU.

The parts from pic related aren't worth $100 but a good PSU/case combo is and will outlive all the other hardware multiple times.

Where do you live?

Do some research if your mobo can use a xeon x5650. Otherwise you might consider a i7 920.

It is irrelevant.

I've seen similar shitboxes for 200-300 € here.

Ops deal was OK I think he got a whole shitbox. It could handle light games with a proper GPU.

Ops computer can handle all but two games with a proper gpu.

good luck playing gaems on this.

With a 960 and an SSD you won't really feel its age. GPU is another story, it was low range back on its time.

Yeah, that's a price somebody wants for it, not a price that these sell for.

Op buy a gtx 1050 or a rx 560, that cpu is fine if you play on 1080p 60hz

dude that 16g ddr3 is already worth $100

You got yourself a deal.

It's Lynnfield, not Nehalem.

Not really. It's not a great deal in the states since you can get an i5 2500 for $100. But some place where computers go for more then an i5 750 with 16 gigs for $100 is pretty good. It's not far off here, either.
Though do something with your temps.

>That pc's worth like $30 tops.
>The parts from pic related aren't worth $100
Are you kidding?

Only the graphics card of yours looks like has the need to be upgraded. Get a NVIDIA GTX card with the series being any above 1000.

That RAM alone is worth over $100.

Replace GPU, upgrade CPU to the highest the socket can handle so like an i7 of some kind.

So get something based like a 980 or 1060 and a Xeon X3450 and it'll be pretty alright.