What was the best version of OS X?

There have been many threads about what version of Windows was the best and how Windows changed over the years.

Let's now do the same for OS X.
How has OS X changed over the years?
Which version of OS X was the best Apple ever made?
How do you like the new features of the latest versions?
Has it been dumbed down for use by normies/women?
How much bloat has crept in over the years?
Is it botnet now?
What is the oldest OS X version still usable today?
What are the best features of OS X that windows and Lignux wish they had?
What are the weaknesses of OS X compared to other Lignux and windows?
Which has more games: OS X or Lignux?
Which has better emulators: OS X or Lignux?
What are some tweaks you can do to speed up or plug security holes in OS X?
What do you see in the future for OS X?

Classic Mac OS and Apple II DOS discussion is also allowed.

Install Gentoo

t. Soyboy

In terms of interface, it really has just gotten better with time, so High Sierra.

But High Sierra is currently really buggy - the buggiest OSX has been in years and years.

Having gone from 10.5 to 10.12 I can definitely say the Finder seems to have gotten worse. Why does it not refresh content like it used to. Other than that, it doesn't seem that much different. It does have new features that I enjoy such as Handoff, Siri, Safari Content Blocker, iMessage and the ability to unlock from my Apple Watch.

>Which version of OS X was the best Apple ever made?
Snow Leopard or Yosemite

>Has it been dumbed down for use by normies/women?
Yes. Any good operating system is capable of being dumbed down for the average consumer.

>How much bloat has crept in over the years?
about ten trillion times less than Windows

>Is it botnet now?
anything connected to the internet is botnet
IOT devices will bring about skynet
all your nudes will leak and the low bearded gentlemen will spank it to them
the end is nigh

>What are the best features of OS X that windows and Lignux wish they had?
Pretty much anything that comes with an interconnected ecosystem, such as syncing between your different apps seamlessly and airdrop(pushbullet tries to mimic this, but the app is shit for iPhone, so airdrop works better and I only use it when in chrome on my linux box. Reader mode in the new safari(both iOS and MacOS) is pretty damn nice. Someone feel free to give me a recommendation for something like that on chrome, because I miss having an adblocker and a coincidence detector.

Also having siri on my laptop is pretty useful.

>What are the weaknesses of OS X compared to other Lignux and windows?
I can't update all my shit from the terminal.

>What do you see in the future for OS X?
the same thing the future of the macs themselves hold.
Prioritizing form over function.

>How has OS X changed over the years?
Not as much as windows.

>Which version of OS X was the best Apple ever made?
Wouldn't know, but I liked Mavericks a lot.

>How do you like the new features of the latest versions?
The only new feature that I would use was folders on top. Which was a feature on Windows for decades? But then again task view on Windows is essentially virtual desktops so it goes both ways.

Also I don't perceive any improvements with APFS, in fact it behaved weird at times. But that was on the first release of High Sierra after the beta.

Who do you think buys these products the most? Of course.

>How much bloat has crept in over the years?
Honestly they add like one or two things each big release so not much. Yeah it comes bundled with too much shit but it has always been that way.

>Is it botnet now?
Yeah, sort of? On a measurable level not as much as W10 but still does send your data if you let it. The whole privacy shit is bollocks.

>What are the best features of OS X that windows and Lignux wish they had?
Its stability, a good graphics server (this goes for linux) and maybe some better touchpad gesture support?

>What are the weaknesses of OS X compared to other Lignux and windows?
Few games with crap performance and less customization than both.

>Which has more games: OS X or Lignux?
OSX has more. Linux has newer releases and more focus on that now, and it's better performing as well in some cases. However I have had less trouble with my DualShock 3 in OSX than Linux.

>Which has better emulators: OS X or Lignux?
Tough. Linux has more variety. However I experienced better performance with RetroArch in OSX, yet OpenEmu which is that exclusive frontend runs like absolute trash. Depends on what you want to run.

>What are some tweaks you can do to speed up or plug security holes in OS X?
No idea.

>What do you see in the future for OS X?
Absolutely fuckall. They keep doing weird decisions.

Snow Leopard was perfect.

macOS is going to get worse as time goes on, as the iOS team and the macOS have been merged together.

How does High Sierra have a different interface than El Capitan? They just seem like the same with a different wallpaper.

And yeah unfortunately I might have to install 10.12.6, not good.

Big tie between Leopard for compatibility, and Snow Leopard for better performance and additional features. Lion is when it all started going down the iOS hill.

>I can't update all my shit from the terminal.
yes you can l2softwareupdate

Lion or mountain lion

>been

The latest one is always the best, which better integration with top-notch technology and trendy design

>t. mactoddler

we don't talk about it tier: 10.0-10.2.7
never forget tier: 10.2.8-10.4.11
wut tier: 10.5 - 10.6.7
best ever tier: 10.6.8
oh shit nigger what are you doing tier 10.7 - current

Soyboys not welcome here.

Snow Leopard was the best one. Mavericks aesthetics wise.

Is OpenEmu the best emulator for macOS? How good is it

Mavericks or Snow Leopard

fpbp

For newer systems, it's the only one you can really use.
If you're using Yosemite or below, you're better off using Bannister's emus and SNES9X 1.51
If you're using Sierra or newer, fuck you, SNES9X is broken and there's no guarantee with Bannister so you have to use OpenEmu.

I hear PCSX Rearmed works on all macOS versions though. Mednafen too but it's command line only so it's not so nice to use compared to openemu

Nope. Not at all. OpenEmu has only 2 good things: the ease of use and the interface. It's pretty lackluster on performance, has very slow updates, next to no settings and you're fucked if you actually use hackintosh as it seems to fuck up at the stage where it has to keep a normal framerate without frameskips, even if your machine is good.

Many people hate on RetroArch but it's a far better alternative if you want to have shit running smoothly. And honestly it's not that difficult to use at all.

this. 10.6.8

Snow Leopard

10.6.8. Feels bad that every year they present a new iteration that doesn't give you any reason to update.

> TFW Leopard had native ZFS.

I just want to play yugioh GBA/DS/PSP games. So I should look into RetroArch then?

Try OpenEmu, if you don't like how it performs, RetroArch does it.

Thanks.

I keep seeing people say this but I've been using it since it came out and haven't had a single problem
where are the bugs?

Personally I had a nasty bug with transferring files on Finder. It would show the progress bar for some files but get stuck halfway through. It was a "cosmetic bug" as the files were still transferred but that was annoying.