How is this so hard? Deepest I've gone is dungeon level 7-8 (which is the beginning)

How is this so hard? Deepest I've gone is dungeon level 7-8 (which is the beginning).

>not Sup Forums

I'd actually like to discuss rogue-like programming.

Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of doing a 3d scifi RL where the "dungeon" is like a hi-tech company you have to infiltrate or something.

Nethack general too I guess

Other urls found in this thread:

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
hardfought.org/userdata/w/winny/dn36/dumplog/1510080922.dn36.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't see the point in 3D other than as a presentation. Just rename the items in Nethack and add the notion that you're going upwards in an office building.

Well yeah, the 3D is only for cosmetics, but could also be used for gameplay (lobbing attacks, flight)

I think more people nowadays will be inclined to play it if there's a visual element (for example games like FTL)

As for the renaming I'm not interested in making a NH clone, just a rogue-like in a futuristic setting and with some new mechanics or something.

Doom RL is already a thing.

A simple roguelike is a pretty easy but nice programming project. Something like Nethack takes a lot of work. (Don't try to implement polymorphing your first time round)

What exactly do you mean by 3D? It's very hard to represent in ascii or even tiles, the best you get are games like Dwarf Fortress that have distinct z-axis tiers. I once made a sci-fi-ish game where the monsters can move through ducts above you, but it's otherwise on a standard 2D plane, that worked pretty well.

By 3D I mean "real" 3D (as opposed to isometric tilesets or 2.5D), probably with an orthographic camera.

I think I will use a hexagonal grid though - one thing that irks me about nethack is that diagonal movement costs the same amount of energy, although you are technically moving further (sqrt(2) grid spaces instead of 1).

>What exactly do you mean by 3D? It's very hard to represent in ascii or even tiles,
literally retareded

Good luck then, I don't have experience developing 3D games.
As for the grid, some games on a square grid such as Crawl do have `correct' diagonal movement costs.

A 3D gameworld, obviously not 3D graphics.

roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Nice website on making roguelikes

I ascended the other day.

hardfought.org/userdata/w/winny/dn36/dumplog/1510080922.dn36.txt

Just take it slow. Play it a little bit every day, and stop. When you get bored, you take risks, and taking risks in NetHack gets you killed. Never do any unnecessary move. Take every precaution. Prepare relentlessly for every outcome.

Nethack is a game of diligence and discipline.

make sure to read the wiki religiously

why did i die when i read a 'uncursed spellbook of turn undead'

>where the "dungeon" is like a hi-tech company you have to infiltrate or something.

you mean Cogmind?

I have been making a scifi roguelike for the past year OP, it's fucking hard work, once you get beyond a text-based game it gets exponentially harder.

i want that now

Its decent, and the dev(s) are bretty cool. Why i saved that as jpg i dont know.

Video will do it more justice as the effects and sounds are something else.

Idk maybe you turned udead?

rec.games.roguelike.development

It's a great example of a few things that Dwarf Fortress could do better visually, both in terms of effects (light/shadow, explosions) as well as User Interface.

NetHack is literally one of the fucking easiest roguelikes out there.
Use the fucking Wiki you stupid cunt.
Seriously, if you can't realize "I have infinite time to ponder my options and there are hundreds of fucking chats where I can get help from autists who know far more than me" then you're insanely fucking retarded.