/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.
If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/8l/fbui
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hi.

Install GuixSD

This fucking dickhead. After I formatted it myself, it keeps doing that. I am so fucking pissed. It happens with almost any medium.
Happens with NFTS and FAT
Ubuntu 16.04

xbacklight doesnt work. Prints nothing. Despite checking for intel_backlight, it also prints 'RANDR Query Version returned error -1' if passing with -d. kyberlake laptop with optimus, debian buster. Thanks assholes

I have an amd gpu and my fans dont work. One fix is to recompile the kernel with the option
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_POWERPLAY=y
i have confirmed that this is a working solution, but im having troubles getting all the other configurations for my new kernel correct. Once i forgot to include network drivers, and now i forgot to enable some kind of ext4 support. How can i compile an identical kernel to my current one, but only add one setting?

should I switch from bash to something?
no any problem but so many zsh\fish in screenfetch threads .__.

Hello! How are you?

I have used Debian + Xfce for the past year. I am considering switching to another distro and DE, convince me as to why I should or shouldn't. I will weigh all advice equally and then draw a conclusion. Unfortunately, I cannot use completely free distros, as I have an intel wireless chip.

I have a .p12 SSL certificate file that I need to access a web service. In chrome I can just add it, but I need it to be enabled system wide, not just for chrome. How to do that?

Arch+fluxbox
or
alpine+fluxbox

Is it worth reading extensive documentation to setup up fluxbox to my liking? I'd rather have a "complete" werks out of the box DE. I'm not really strapped for resources.

gentoo icewm

I also use Debian and Xfce. idk, I like it, not sure why you'd want to leave. but do what you want. If you're bored then get a live distro or a VM and try some shit.

same answer, install some other shells and try them.

for both its kind of hard to say more than that without some kind of reason you're dissatisfied with what you have or what you might want to get by switching

I am fine, thank you! How are you? The weather is very nice today!

localmodconfig

Has it maybe occurred to you to give the partition write permission?

Yeah, I've got something for you to script ;) *unzips shell*

You dont need "extensive documentation", get a gtk theme and a fluxbox theme you like and thats about all you need to do for a working environment. Edit the menu to reflect what programs you want manually or use a generator program to generate and categorize it for you and you're golden.

>strapped for resources
Its not about resources, its about installing a meta package that has 500 programs in it, of which you only use maybe 10 daily and maybe 2 more occasionally

>same answer, install some other shells and try them.
That is such stupid advice. Most of the nuance of shell isn't even realized in interactive mode. And even if it were, simply doing some basic research would be more than sufficient if not better since interacting with a shell only requires a superficial understanding.

It's literally just peer pressure. There are practical gains to Zsh, but there much more subtle than they would have you believe.

>extensive documentation
I think you're conflating Fluxbox with FVWM. And, if so, then yes, you most certainly should use FVWM. It's the most rewarding thing ever if you're into that kind of stuff.

on one hand, you have a point about that. on the other hand, that user didn't seem to have any idea why he'd want a different shell other than seeing them in screenfetch threads. That suggests that he'll probably stay on bash, but that he should dink around a little bit to satisfy his curiosity.

Can you even load X in alpine?

You're right. Sorry for being so dismissive, user. I do think trying to script in different shells might be a fun way to into scripting, but beyond that the appeal really does seem to be just for the e-peen.

apk add xorg-base
apk add xinit
adk add fluxbox
vim .xinitrc startfluxbox
startx

Add xf86-video-* if you're using proprietary drivers

>convince me as to why I shouldn't.
time is valuable you can invest it in better things than distro hopping.

Neat, but can I run GNU Emacs on it? If so, then I will be happy.

apk add emacs-nox

chmod -R 777 ~/BlueStick

You shouldn't ask whether you should switch. Try them out and see if you like them. Fish looks nice when looking from the perspective of interactive shell.

But after "POSIX compatible shells" like dash bash will always be the defacto "industry standard" that everyone expects all scripts to be written for whether you like it or not.

echo 50000 | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
Does this work?

>alpine on the desktop
lmao

POSIX defines the standard, it doesn't define a shell at all

>POSIX defines the standard, it doesn't define a shell at all
Hence why I said posix compatible shells like dash.

Debian+Xfce is a fine choice, I'd stick to it. Maybe make your feet wet with a nice tiling WM? i3 is a good entry, bspwm is great.

If you really want to try a complete different distro, try Arch.

Also, spend some bucks for a wifi adapter and never deal with botnet drivers again. Check minifree, thinkpenguin, techtronic, etc.

Ayy, I should learn 2 read.

is there anything powerful that I can write in bash? Can I use bash like any other programming language (C++ for example?)

pls no bully

I always used windows and haven't used desktop PC for over 10 years. Now I'm building a PC and I have a windows 10 lenovo laptop. Can I install some version of Linux on the laptop?

No. You're confusing compiled languages with interpreters. If you want a more powerful interpreter then you just run that interpreter (like python)

You can probably even install GNU/Linux on that laptop if you really want to.

Shell scripts can be extremly powerful when you know what you're doing. I've seen music players, window managers, IRC clients based on shell scripts, but at some point you may want to switch to C or Perl for efficience and speed. Many people also just use Python because it's easy to learn and allows you to import basically everything.

Download Ubuntu, use rufus to put it on some USB drive, boot from that drive. Then just hit the install button and you're done.

You can write anything you want in bash because it can call other pieces of software (sed for example was proven to be Turing-complete language, I'm fairly sure the same applies to awk)
Whether you actually should is the more important question. It's performance will be sub-par to pretty much any programming language.

just make a live usb with ubuntu 16.04 and try it

for i in {1..100};{((i%3))&&x=||x=Fizz;((i%5))||x+=Buzz;echo ${x:-$i};}

Quick question.
This script gets executed as root (my user "archdic", using sudo...) how can I make it, in the last line, execute "startx" as the user "archdic", not root? What I've tried doesn't seem to work.
Thank you!

Just run the script as your user and use sudo for the priv'd commands.

But then during the execution of the script it's gonna ask me to keep entering my password.
I've added ~/bin/ to my sudoers file to make it not ask me for my password when executing my scripts.

sudo -u
Learn to read man page

>Does this work?
yes, the only way i'm changing brightness so far,. Same problem was with ubuntu 17.04

What's the least bad discrete GPU these days?

I've only ever used Intel integrated graphics in the past, but I'm tempted to start a build that gives me an option for gaming. What's the current status of Nvidia and AMD under GNU/Linux? Or am I better off getting an Intel CPU and use integrated for GNU/Linux and let Windows handle the discrete one?

Thank you but this doesn't seem to work either.
Since "-u" is an option for "sudo" and "sudo" is outside the script:
I summon the script in ".bashrc" as "sudo ~/bin/script.sh".
And I put the "-u archdic startx" inside the script.

>install virtualbox
>download a fuckton of distros
>try them all out and see what you like
>pick one and look up how to install on your machine

How can install debian on a encrypted lvm without write random data to my ssd?
I want to give it a try but I can't figure how to install it without kill my ssd.

AMD vega cards are scheduled to work "out of the box" like current intel cards do in kernel 4.15

I'm running an orange pi zero with pihole and dnscrypt and it keeps fucking freezing. Can't even SSH in. Then I have to hardreset the thing which corrupts my SD card.

1) Can I somehow see what caused the freeze?
2) Can I somehow issue a reboot if a freeze is imminent?
3) If no, what can I do?

armbian jessie by the way.

Please help a niBBa out Sup Forums

Leave a monitor/KB hooked up, or just pop the SD out to look at the logs on another system. Or set up a serial console, if *pi devices have that. I'd guess something's probably panicing your kernel, but what it is and how to fix it you won't know until you can see what its saying.

this is literally an option in the installer, you can untick the "overwrite with random data".

Nvidia is pretty famous for being dickweeds about this. Their binary driver does work, but AMD is getting stuff upstreamed. It only got pulled in 4.15 and the work so far is all about supporting Vega, rather than older cards, so you'll need to be bleeding-edge for a while.

>worst girl and worst distro
fits

Zsh has the most mature programmable completion, but almost everything most people do with zsh that matters outside of painfully fancy prompts can also be done with bash and readline if you take the time to configure it. It's mostly popular because fancy configs like oh-my-zsh are all over the place, made up and ready to go.

Fun zsh fact for people who actually script in the terminal: It defaults to arrays starting at 1. Set the ksh_arrays option.

Fish isn't POSIX compatible, its it's own special snowflake language and should not be used if you script interactively/paste shit off wikis and want a headache-free life

>this gross misunderstanding of how scripts work

Every line in the script is its own command, not an option to sudo

Anyone tried this framebuffer UI github.com/8l/fbui
Sounds good and I like how they want to remove bloat but didn't found any pictures.

That's my point though. That's why writing "-u archdic startx" doesn't work.

Try adding acpi_backlight=vendor in GRUB to the linux command line and see if it helps.

sudo runs something as a different user, if you call it as root you don't need to enter a password to use it. But you have to actually call sudo.

Wow that readme goes off the deep end.

>the Linux Desktop, finally!

what anime does he watch

What? There isn't such option.
Is the netinstaller different?

Who?

Trying to build chromium.Getting stuck building gn with this error. Any help would be appreciated
[370/370] LINK gn
FAILED: gn
clang++ -pthread -o gn -Wl,--start-group tools/gn/gn_main.o libevent.a base.a xdg_user_dirs.a gn_lib.a dynamic_annotations.a -Wl,--end-group -lrt -latomic
tools/gn/gn_main.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
clang-6.0: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
Command '['ninja', '-C', '/build/makepkg/chromium/src/chromium-62.0.3202.94/out_bootstrap', '-w', 'dupbuild=err', 'gn']' returned non-zero exit status 1

>using xubuntu
I seemed to be having graphical driver issues after several crashes while running specifically 720p 60fps on an old desktop.

I was keeping up with the updates and noticed the last update was having bios issue with my graphics card. Now this update I'm having difficulty running software.

After running a recovery mode cleaning, updating, and fscking the sda/sdb I have now come to a point where it won't even recognize my graphics card.

Should I run a repair installation or just format it with xubuntu or a new OS.

I'm learning how to not be a total idiot on Linux on my laptop, but this is just my personal use desktop.

>Trying to build chromium.
Why?

I used the netinstall ISO, yes, but that shouldn't matter. And the non-graphical installer, which may matter but shouldn't. I also set up my partitioning manually, but I thought it gives you the option to not overwrite (or to skip the overwrite once its started) if you take the default luks-on-lvm option. Try doing that.

Maybe he removed the botnet.

screenshots senpai?

It's chromium, not chrome

This retard here:

I'm still trying to get yeahconsole to demand focus so that I can full screen it and then toggle transparency, but I'm not sure what I'm doing. It toggles itself with control+alt+y, but if I try to full screen with alt+F11 it full screens whatever is behind it in the workspace. The only reference I can find to focus issues is a note by the developer in the changelog that says it should hopefully be fixed.

I have this in my .Xresources that is loaded:

yeahconsole*term:urxvtc

And, obviously, I have the daemon started as it is at least able to be pulled down. What do?

Because I would like to use chromium

I think the tripfag's point was that you can 99% of the time just use your distro's packaged version of chromium rather than building it yourself.

Chromium *does* have some "Googled" elements (e.g. you can still sign into the browser to have synced data). I'm not sure if the "phone home" bug (people thought it was malicious, but it was just the Chrome thing of the browser checking for updates, which Chromium should never have to do) was ever patched, but that was another "Googley" thing.

Can't you set the geometry in xresources also?

I am compiling some patches and compile flags that are not available in the distros binary chromium.

For yeahconsole specifically? Yeah, but it has defaults. Doesn't change the fact that it doesn't grab focus and keep it properly.

Are you suggesting to set geometry to match full screen by default instead of toggling it?

Is it mounted ro?
Some flash memory reports itself as read only once it has enough hardware faults, that could be happening as well.

I'd suggest fedora and openbox. Openbox is a great blend of usability and configuration, and fedora is an extremely solid system to work on.

Thanks. That narrows it down.

What does this even mean and how do i fix it?
error: "Update aspirational_scripts per Unicode 10.0"

Hey guys, I want to install Source Mage on my 2008 Macbook. Is this doable?

What compression algorithm has the strongest compression?

I wish, that's the thing I am asking.

Huh, it just werkz if I set it to Alt+1 in muh Xresources file. Still strange that it doesn't work with Alt+F11, but I guess I just need to mess around with keybinds and see what works.

lzrip

im sick of seeing women's blood going down the wc keep that shit to yourself

Now that GNOME is default for Ubuntu what will the developer's choice of DE be? Unity was pretty much perfect as a no thrills out of the box dev DE. GNOME in contrast takes hours to set up right.

>GNOME in contrast takes hours to set up right.
u know im tired of reading that shit
default gnome is fine
almost all extensions are useless
>muh yuuge titles
press F11

Best way to remote handle my Raspberry Pi other than SSH?

Why do you all use distro's like debian, arch, mint and whatever if you all use linux because it respects your freedoms but then your god idol Richard stallman says they're all botnet anyway?

What do you do when you compile a programs new version but when you check the build version information in the program, it reports a later version, not just one revision behind but more then 10 revisions behind. Have confirmed the built binary is indeed using the latest source

Stallman's got some kooky ideas about what constitutes "free"
It's damn near impossible to have a functional fully free OS, mostly because of binary firmware blobs for essential components. My distro of choice, fedora, is on the non-recommended list exclusively because of those blobs. It's just something you have to deal with.

So what's your opinion on the distro's he does recommend?

he is no god, he is a man.