/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/K1rakishou/photoexchange-android
github.com/K1rakishou/photoexchange-backend
a.doko.moe/drlpah.apk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why mustard?

Is there a Crust language?

>pic
daily reminder that drinking straight mustard, though disgusting, is an excellent home remedy for cramps

Spotting a Cnile brainlet:
>When a cnile asked what kernel HE wrote, he will pretend to be Linus Torvalds
>When asked if the cnile actually produces any software, the answer is no, followed by a mediocre excuse
>When he can't argue, a cnile will look for a safe place and urge others to leave him alone

The simplicity of C and Go attracts brainlets.

Looking up programing paradigms apparently

I'm working on my portfolio project and I need some people to test my app. Basically it's a Rando 4me clone.

android-src: github.com/K1rakishou/photoexchange-android
backend-src: github.com/K1rakishou/photoexchange-backend
apk: a.doko.moe/drlpah.apk

fn main () {
unsafe {
//Your code here
}
}
There's your Crust

Can I put an entire Rust module in an unsafe block?

>being such an ass-blasted faggot
>thinking C++ and Rust are hard to understand
Really shows how narrow your perspective is, but that's typical for plustoddlers and rustlets.

And what's wrong exactly with being a brainlet in terms of a fucking programming language, your fucking hammer? I don't need metaprogramming or other useless shit, C (and Go) has literally everything I need for literally any task

>>thinking C++ and Rust are hard to understand
No one said that.
C++ isn't a hard language, it's just that Ctards are too brainlet to understand it, as evidenced from the fact that I've seen people here actually say that.

>>thinking C++ and Rust are hard to understand
Yeah for you probably. Your uncivilized primitave ape brain can't fathom anything above a langlet like C, low IQ cnile

>Modern PLs are just shit.
Just use something sensible or use it with a sensible framework, but yeah there are two fun parts in programming: low-level stuff or math. Most SE projects are neither and suck cocks.

learning docker

>ah, it's another "negative numbers count" episode
Or you could just straight up declare that they don't.
And who will argue with you.
Fucking no one.
unsigned average(unsigned a, unsigned b) {
long l = a + b;
return (unsigned) (l/2);
}

This is a correct way to average two integers.
What's that, you say? It's not correct because you can't plug in any integer you want and have it work?
Absolute horseshit! If you want to know what you can plug in and have it work, read the fucking type signature like any programmer with an IQ over 2.

hey that's cool i can do that too

average :: NumberThatIsOne -> NumberThatIsThree -> NumberThatIsTwo
average _ _ = 2

Unlike Hasklel, which is for advanced programmers only, right?

Oh wait, I forgot: Has-kek is fucking easy and literally a toddler could use it, which is the hallmark of a GOOD fucking language, whereas C++ is quite difficult to understand because it's trash, and C++ users are actually quite intelligent by necessity because you have to be in order to remember and mentally reconcile such a high volume of self-inconsistent information about a language, much of which doesn't even make sense on its own, let alone in the context of other things about the language.

what do ya'll think of ocaml?

they aren't intelligent, they're just autistic. an intelligent person would swear off C++ when they realize it just isn't worth it. An autist uses it to masturbate.

Single threaded programming, that era ended in the early 2000's

>Job prerequisites:
>Assburgers
We'll I'm SOL

>an intelligent person would swear off C++ when they realize it just isn't worth it.
>implying people in general have the freedom to literally just """"swear off"""" a language
Found the unemployed Hasklet who lives off taxpayers.

>If you want to know what you can plug in and have it work, read the fucking type signature like any programmer with an IQ over 2.
Ok.
It takes two unsigned ints, and returns an unsigned int. Great, that means I can feed in 2^32-1 and 3 in!
average(4294967295, 3); // returns 1

Oh

I don't care about C one way or another. It's not fun to work with, but at least it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't: it doesn't pretend to be versatile, it doesn't pretend to be expressive, it doesn't pretend to be high-level, it doesn't pretend to be appropriate for serious large-scale projects. It's just a low-level assembly. Low IQ is an absolute requirement for tolerating languages like Rust and C++ because they lie to your face so blatantly about what they are, and you have to be either a moron or a fizzbuzzer not to notice.

What music is comfy for programming ?

>t's not fun to work with, but at least it doesn't pretend to be something it isn't:
What? Go?
Don't kid yourself.

>I forgot: Has-kek is fucking easy and literally a toddler could use it
Then how come you couldn't write even a basic program in it if asked?

white noise
chiptune
snarky puppy
knower
trombone shorty

SuperEuroBeat

>What? Go?
>Don't kid yourself.
Are you suffering from some kind of brain damage? You're the only one whining about C and Go repeatedly. I don't know jack shit about Go. What does Go have to do with my post?

>It's just a low-level assembly
And this is how I know you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

shit
unsigned average(unsigned a, unsigned b) {
long long l = ((long long) a) + (long long) b;
return (unsigned) (l/2);
}

oh, so THAT'S the reason why i stopped using C
pardon, i'd forgotten

>What does Go have to do with my post?
Because only cniles and gotards are capable of blatant lies like that

I could though, assuming I could be arsed
But it's unlikely I could be arsed

>oh, so THAT'S the reason why i stopped using C
This has nothing to do with C, idiot.
It's the way computers fucking work.

>And this is how I know you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Not an argument. C is a low-level portable assembly. Nothing more.

>i-i-i could do it b-but i won't!
I thought so.

Yellow mustard is loaded with tumeric, which is anti carcinogenic in the long run.

*The more you know*

>Because only cniles and gotards are capable of blatant lies like that
Blatant lies like what, you butt-blasted little boy? Wanna tell me how much C++ is a high-level and expressive language, thereby illustrating my point?

>wake up
>open dpt
>langwar's raging hard
wew lads

ok, hear me out:

I. Like. Javascript.

justify it

Well, it's expressive
and you can write C like or Lisp like code or both

>coming here again
>expecting something different today
>i like javascript
Didn't they warn you about the braindamage you'll get from it?

>Low IQ is an absolute requirement for tolerating languages like Rust and C++ because they lie to your face so blatantly about what they are
Wrong, you actually need a high IQ for tolerating shitlangs like Rust and C++ precisely for the reason you just said.

You see, if you have a low IQ, and you try to use a language that wants you to think it's high level and expressive but actually isn't, then you'll find out the hard way that it actually isn't, but you'll be too stupid to understand what you're seeing, so you'll give up.

And if you have a low IQ and you use a GOOD language that actually IS high level and expressive, you'll have a fine time, because the language is powerful, simple, and elegant, so it works well with the way your mind works, and you'll only have moderately more difficulty with it than an intelligent person using the same language.

So people of all intelligence levels can use, for example, Haskell. Naturally, the smarter people will be able to better make full use of its power, as tends to be the case with any language.

But only intelligent people can use languages that are fucking garbage, because they have to be able to remember everything that doesn't fucking work for no good reason, and they have no hope of coming up with any mental tools to remember them, because, as I just fucking said, they don't work for NO FUCKING REASON, except because the language is FUCKING GARBAGE.

>and you can write C like or Lisp like code or both
user, you are blindly shooting in all directions now.

Why isn't it called Crust?

Shit sorry senpai
I guess I need to learn Rust to bait /dpt/ properly

>suggests I couldn't even write a simple program in Haskell if asked
>I respond that I could and don't even really say I won't, just that I PROBABLY won't
>accuse me of chickening out when in fact you never even actually asked me to do what you're saying I couldn't do if asked
the absolute level of mental illness
Not inherently. Idris's Nat type, for example, doesn't work that way.

I know this isn't the issue of the thread but I will post it here because I think the thread would be deleted.

Is there a way to see a private instagram other than the user accepting you?

>intelligent people who are looking for a high-level and expressive language will fall for shitty memes like C++ and Rust
>and stick with them upon discovering belatedly that they don't fit their requirements
>because that's what intelligent people do
You really are making mental gymnastics an extreme sport, buddy. I just lost 3 IQ points from reading your post. Please don't have children.

>backpedalling so hard
Honestly, most people in this thread deserve sterilization.

that is not a good enough reason

Intelligent people don't look for languages, they have languages handed to them. Because intelligent people have fucking jobs, you freeloading scum.

They don't "fall for shitty memes," their EMPLOYERS (who they ACTUALLY HAVE, unlike SOME people) "fall for shitty memes" and then push them onto them.

They don't "stick with" bad languages, they're stuck TO bad languages.

>inb4 "but the even more intelligent people get to pick their own languages"
Then why do they pick languages C++, C#, and Java?
They're not "more intelligent." They're just luckier.
Not even luckier really. They're really just of nobler birth. Meaning, of course, begotten from disgusting tyrannical thief scum.

>still hasn't actually asked me to write any particular simple program in Haskell
>continues to accuse me of not doing it

>Just use something sensible or use it with a sensible framework, but yeah there are two fun parts in programming: low-level stuff or math. Most SE projects are neither and suck cocks.
The closest things to "sensible" that I've found just aren't popular enough to be viable. There's only so much one guy can accomplish on his own in a reasonable time frame.

Does anyone know of a nice program to draw cons cell structures?

I work for a small startup, and there is a company that is trying to buy our startup, and we will probably will have to relocate our offices into another country.

Can the startup CEO refuse to be bought by any amount?

What are the implications?

My pngwolf fork is coming along, bit by bit. Just finished with some changes to zopfli.

>b-b-but what i said isn't actually fucking retarded because i was talking about having a shitlang shoved down your throat
Nice backpedalling, but that's obviously not what anyone was talking about. You hardly need more than 90 IQ points to be a codemonkey and figure out that you better get used to working with whatever trash is handed down to you if you want to make a living, so why are you talking to me about your life experience? It has nothing to do with what an intelligent programmer would pick as a language of choice for a personal project.

-->stack exchange

>Can the startup CEO refuse to be bought by any amount?
If the company isn'y publicly traded.

>Not even luckier really. They're really just of nobler birth. Meaning, of course, begotten from disgusting tyrannical thief scum.
lol. would you just look at how much resentment the code monkey has against people in research positions, or otherwise doing interesting stuff that gives them some freedom. so salty!

>It has nothing to do with what an intelligent programmer would pick as a language of choice for a personal project.
Literally also not what anyone was talking about.

Being someone who "uses" a language doesn't specifically mean being someone who uses it for personal projects. It means being someone who uses it. At all.

We were talking about the intelligence of people who "use" sepples or Rust.

As in, using them at all.

It was NOT at any point implied that they have to be using them by choice to qualify.

In fact I question the fucking EXISTENCE of anyone actually autistic enough to truly use such a garbage language by choice. Unless they had to learn it for a job or a class, and decided they didn't feel like putting in the effort to learn anything else, and just can't even begin to imagine what they're missing out on, and would absolutely switch in a heartbeat if they had any idea.

And by the way:
>You hardly need more than 90 IQ points to be a codemonkey and figure out that you better get used to working with whatever trash is handed down to you if you want to make a living
Indeed, but you do still need to be fairly intelligent to actually be able to truly wrap your head around such a shitty garbage langauge and actually get quality work done in it. Surprise surprise: if something is resistant to being understood, it takes more effort and skill to understand it. Right up there with "water is wet."

>in research positions
I take no issue with people like this.

My quarrel is with the unemployed and people in managerial positions.

why is it like this here

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

>Literally also not what anyone was talking about.
No, you tard. That's exactly what was being talked about. The entire discussion was sparked by some guy making a toy kernel for fun, in a thread about hobbyist projects. I'm sorry that your sub-90-IQ mind doesn't understand context.

>you do still need to be fairly intelligent to actually be able to truly wrap your head around such a shitty garbage langauge and actually get quality work done in it.
But you never did and never will wrap your head around it, and luckily enough, you don't have to. You will just keep pumping out barely-working, bug-ridden, slow, unmaitainable code like nearly every other sepples code monkey in the industry, and getting paid some peanuts for it. Enjoy your sad life.

awww, do you want mommy to kiss that boo-boo? you clearly take some issue with people who don't have to use your code monkey kit

>No, you tard. That's exactly what was being talked about. The entire discussion was sparked by some guy making a toy kernel for fun, in a thread about hobbyist projects.
Oh right, I forgot, everyone in this thread is a moocher.
>I'm sorry that your sub-90-IQ mind doesn't understand context.
My IQ is 126. Above average but by no means brilliant. This is an objective fact and is not subject to your opinions or claims to the contrary.

>But you never did and never will wrap your head around it, and luckily enough, you don't have to. You will just keep pumping out barely-working, bug-ridden, slow, unmaitainable code like nearly every other sepples code monkey in the industry, and getting paid some peanuts for it. Enjoy your sad life.
On the contrary, the entire persona I've been putting on has been a farce, I'm actually an unemployed computer science student. I have autism, so I lack the necessary self management skills to hold down both school and a job without going crazy, hence why I'm unemployed. But the minute I graduate, I'll immediately seek out a job. My language of choice is Haskell, which is something you should have picked up on by now from how much I've been mentioning it in a positive light. I do still use sepples, because it's mandatory for some of my shittier classes. Hence why I vehemently oppose sepples but still defend people who """"use"""" it such as myself. And indeed, my mind does not understand context, hence why I thought """"using"""" sepples in that sense was relevant. However, this lack of understanding of context is because my mind is autistic, and has nothing to do with my intellect: high functioning autism is a mental disability but not an intellectual disability, and this has been demonstrated repeatedly in studies.

What code monkey kit.

rewriting my rc.lua and finish classwork

>And indeed, my mind does not understand context, hence why I thought """"using"""" sepples in that sense was relevant
Well, at least you're honest about it. I guess we can call it quits now. I have nothing against people using whatever they need to use to keep a job they really need to keep.

(cont from )
And by the way, if all code written by """""""code monkeys""""""" in shitty languages they're forced to use is "barely-working, bug-ridden, slow, and unmaintainable," then explain the existence of commercial software that works correctly, has few bugs, is fast, and receives regular updates.
>inb4 no such commercial software exists
If you respond in this manner you are literally an insect under a rock. I'm all for the freedom of information movement, but as much as I'd like to believe that all proprietary software is trash, it's simply not the case.

wow goddamn it never ends. you fuckers are so ass pained over Rust.

>you fuckers are so ass pained over Rust.
I don't know, i think it's really rust people who get flustered over all the shitposting about it. And more than likely a few false-flaggers.

>explain the existence of commercial software that works correctly, has few bugs, is fast, and receives regular update
>correctly
>few
>fast
>reglar
Do you see the problem here? You're quite disappointing for an autist. Either way, we're not having that subjective debate.

Good. I'm glad this was just a misunderstanding. Disagreements usually are: we're all mostly the same on the inside, even if that's an unpopular opinion these days what with individualism.

Is it possible that seflaware c++ programmers are a bit insecure?

>You're quite disappointing for an autist
Thanks, it took years of training.

Yeah, the people with absolutely no interest in Rust just don't talk about it. They always behave and contribute and never ever shitpost. It's hard to imagine legit C/C++ programmers, all of whom are gainfully employed and have active sex lives, making a single one of these posts.

Does that include menstrual cramps?

Yes.

Falseflagging autist who trolled about being employed but actually wasn't here. I'm not a Rust person, my only interest in Rust stems from the fact that I know literally nothing about it. If you show me any Rust program more sophisticated than hello world chances are I won't know what it does.

Dunno, I'm not a femanon. Do menstrual cramps pertain in any way to your body chemistry becoming slightly too acidic, the way regular cramps do? If so then yes. One of the reasons mustard works is because when you eat acidic substances they're processed into basic substances and vice versa, and since mustard is acidic, it stabilizes your body chemistry.

Gnunty OS (GNU/NT) when?

C++ IS hard to understand if you are in a foreign codebase that uses advanced language features extensively, because there are very few assumptions you can make about how the code works.

wouldn't happen in a functional lang

Well I'm writing an employee database with a time clock, employee management table, and report filing for the amount of hours employees work

Part of the issue with the linux kernel is that it accomodates 50 years of backwards incompatibility with 1970s arcane bullshit, and makes it a core part of the OS.

Really, it'd be nice to have an open source OS and kernel that was somewhat compatible with the linux ecosystem, but which starts off from a clean sheet design.

As much as I'm sceptical of Rust, I really like the Redox project. Microkernels or hybrid kernels are probably the way to go for any new FOSS OS to gain traction because driver support is hard to do, and making drivers part of the userspace generally makes that support easier.

Best language to learn after getting good with C, and python? Java, C++? or C#?

How does C's realloc work? How can it copy the old data if it's not given a size?

If it's some kind of kernel call, it must be slow or all arrays could be handled this way. And maybe malloc, memcpy, then free would be faster in some cases.

>Gnunty
pic related: the fate of my sides

C++.

Writing in C++ like it's C is more comfortable than writing in C. The bulk of C program structure and patterns seems to just mimic class functionality in a very inconvenient way.

>C++ is easy!
>no, C++ is hard!
It's a breadth vs. depth thing. C++ doesn't introduce any mind-bending or highly-abstract concepts with far reaching consequences that require deep understanding. It just introduces a hundred simple but ill-conceived features that interact in ways that make a program incomprehensible, so dealing with it is mostly a matter of experience and rote memorization rather than intelligence.

Using C++ as C with templates and using declarations is much much better than C

and yet, templates and using declarations are shit compared to so many other more complete low level implementations of HKTs and type constants

sigh

>Part of the issue with the linux kernel is that it accomodates 50 years of backwards incompatibility with 1970s arcane bullshit, and makes it a core part of the OS.
As opposed to the Windows kernel which the other user keeps trying to glorify?

Man, the thing I struggle the most with Python, is that I have the C mentality, and I am not yet good with this "high level language" thinking. I am glad that I am going to be able to write C++, like it is C. After all, C is bae.

I'm sorry for asking in this thread but

Is /biz my only option on Sup Forums to talk cryptocurrency?

Disagree. Learning C++ coming from just C/Python a lot will give you bad habits in it imho. It's better to come into C++ with decent experience from high level languages than from C.

Honestly? Branch out. You've learned two of the most imperative languages out there. Furthermore, both C and python are weakly typed. Learn a strongly typed functional language imho.

If you specifically only want to learn one of the three languages listed, then I'd say C#.