Estonian

Why is this meme language allowed to exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y0tFCAhC3F0
youtube.com/watch?v=nMn1bve55vs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm1vaCUYIPE
youtube.com/watch?v=aADjmpAHEYE
youtube.com/watch?v=iQ3yEr8KqcA
youtube.com/watch?v=rMSMu4Vqj-g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it existed before Finnish

Both branched of from Proto-Finnic so Estonian didn't exist before Finnish (or the other way around). Also Estonian is super cucked while Finnish is pretty archaic.

>Lelulugu

Proto-Finnic existed in Estonia. Finland was Lapp territory.

>Lelulugu

But it wasn't Estonian. It was Proto-Finnic.

No shit, how else was there contact with Proto-Baltic and Proto-Germanic? Estonian branched off earlier, since it was in direct contact with those tribes.

>maod lennukis

>Estonian branched off earlier
Two languages can only branch of each other simultaneously.

Estonian is in fact two languages, the Southern dialect is further apart from standard Estonian than Finnish is. Because it is older. Eastwards it was all a bunch of Finnic dialects anyway, now it's just us left.

>Southern dialect is further apart from standard Estonian than Finnish is
Can't find any sources on that.

i like estonian Language. a girl with soft voice and estonian language. fuck marry me.

>Why is this meme language allowed to exist?

>implying not all Finno-Ugrics speak a meme language

Our entire language family is a meme. I wish we could belong to a real one.

>I wish we could belong to a real one.

Please stop this cuckoldry, brother.

Well its true isn't it? Our closest relatives the Mansi and Khanty are pretty much extinct. You and the Estonians are well on your way towards extinction too, based on your birth rates. Within a couple of centuries Hungarians will be all alone. Then we'll die too.

They said the same thing 1000 years ago. They didn't expect us fighting back.

Your birth rates are worse than ours though, much worse.

I like Voro/Seto they look nice at least on text no idea what they sound like.

You think we'll still be around alive and kicking for another 1000 years to come?

True,but we have double your population size. For now. Only gypsies breed nowadays so the actual statistic is even worse. My best friend is a nurse. She helps women give birth. She told me like 80% of new babies are gypos.

Is Saami the most archaic, Uralic language? My Finnish friends do not understand it and they told me it is even older than Finnish. I spent 3 years in Tallinn and I am at B1 level Eesti. Finnish and Estonian imo is like Dutch and German.
Don't die out...Hungarian is a cool language.

No it's thought to have a Pre-Uralic substrate. It's complete gibberish to a Finn just as much as Basque is.

Historically, before there was an Estonian language, there were several dialects, spoken in different regions. These are grouped into two - northern and southern - sometimes north-eastern coast dialect is added, since it is closest to Votic language which is of the Finnic language that is closest to Estonian.

The distinction of Southern and Northern Estonian possibly reflects how two previous Finnic dialects became closer and formed the initial dialect group which could be called Estonian. The Northern Estonian dialect is further divided into four sub-dialects - island, western, middle and eastern. The Southern Estonian group has three dialects - Tartu, Mulgi and Võru. Sometimes Setu dialect is also added as a southern dialect, but they prefer to call it Setu language. Setu and Võru dialects have remained as distinctive dialects with active speakers up to nowadays.

Up until the formation of written Estonian language, the southern dialect group dominated over the northern group. The first ever printing press in Estonia was opened in Tartu in 1631, Tallinn got its printing press in 1634. The New Testament was first published in Southern dialect in 1686, the whole Pible was first published in Northern dialect in 1739. Thanks to the work of early grammarians (most prominently Heinrich Stahl) in the 17th century, the Northern dialect slowly started to dominate as the single written form of Estonian. From the 19th century onward, almost all Estonian and Baltic-German literates took Northern dialect as basis of their improvements on language.

Estonian also has a lot of German loans (roughly 1000 stems), some Russian (250 word stems), old Baltic (200), Swedish (120) and Latvian (40). Roughly 3600 - 4000 words stem from common proto-Finno-Ugric language.

The Grammar is still closer to Finnish than to German, although many of the early estophiles were Baltic-German.

So the point is: it's a complex development from proto-Finnic to modern Estonian.

Võro- sometimes difficult to understand, sounds a bit like finnish
youtube.com/watch?v=y0tFCAhC3F0
setu- almost impossible to understand, bit like võro and also has russian words
youtube.com/watch?v=nMn1bve55vs

The difference may be too subtle to notice for foreigners.

I find it interesting that the word "kuningas" is the same word for king in Proto-Germanix. It just shows how old Suomeksi is.

Lmao what is this ragetti spaghetti language

tl;dr Standard Estonian was made by the Baltic Germans based on the Northern dialect because of a bible translation. Southern Estonian is far more archaic, and indicates Estonia was settled by two major tribes, the Finnish type of thing coming in later.

Germanics taught us so many words. We are forever grateful.

I hope you fall in front of a bus

>Suomeksi
Ihan vaan Suomi, jenkkipoika.

>Jenkkipoika
As a Texan, that is so annoying.

Question to ask you guys - Why does Estonia have consonant clusters and Finnish doesn't? And why did Estonian lose vowel harmony?

>Within a couple of centuries Hungarians will be all alone.
It pisses me off a bit that half of Uralic languages speakers are Hungarian.
This monopoly should be changed t b h

Western Finnish dialects have consonant clusters.

Really? I'd like to see examples, please.
So then the lack of consonant clusters in standard Finnish is an element from Eastern Finnish?

Estonian lost vowel harmony because it is a simplification, Finnish does it in slang. Dialects retained it. Plus we had influence from what the local Germans spoke.

Can we say presense of voiced plosive consonants in your language is due to German influence?

The consonant stuff could be considered foreign influenced. Also, one major thing that sets Estonian apart from Finnish is that we palatalize or "soften" certain consonants. Hungarians do this as well,

"klohjoi, pläikinä, kriipu"

It's Germanic influence

I'd say basically every word that starts with a consonant cluster is a loanword. Even in most of your loanwords you manage to avoid consnant clusters.
risti - from "christ"
koulu - from "skola"

Estonian also has such rule, it's a basic trait of Uralic languages but it features consonant clusters in the end of words.

That is how loanwords were adopted, eg.skipping the "s" in front of Germanic words since it doesn't conform to the general tongue.

We call all Americans Yankees. How does that make you feel? We also call the US jenkkilä which translates into something like Yankeeville.

I knew your language has palatized consonants, but you don't mark it by your orthography right?

Also, I heard b/d/g exist in the word finals in Estonian but you tend to pronounce them p/t/k.

*palatalized

not the OP, but 'd' indicates plurality at word finals, it's pronounced rather softly.

'b' and 'g' endings aren't really common, can't think of any actually.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm1vaCUYIPE

The lyrics contain some words that end with b g d. But without reading it I couldn't tell if they ended with p k t.

nevermind, many words actually 'org', 'urg', 'turg' - cognates of finnish 'orko' 'urkuma' 'turku'.

great thread 2bh, will chip in on some Eesti related questions
how present are culture and tradition in everyday life? do you have certain holidays? events honoring tradition? is it felt in the architecture?
does music like this (more of the second one) gets recognition on the media? is eesti really beesti or is it a meme?
youtube.com/watch?v=aADjmpAHEYE

this is sort of a common thing in singing, since when you have to take another breath at the end of a word ending with a soft consonant (b,g,d), you force it out fast and hard making it sound like a p/k/t. I've sung in a choir, so yeah, its hard to pronounce them distinguishably if you're for instance singing rhytmically.

Culture and tradition.. I suppose it's more visible during national holidays and celebrations and events like song festivals, poetry/music events. We deeply honour our national independence days (24th of February and 20th of August). As well as celebrating the longest day, midsummers day, that is very rooted in our traditions.

Zetos are fairly known and an appreciated folk ensemble here. Folk song traditions are arguably the main aspect of our culture still.

two independence days? did the USSR collapse get its own day?
also any additional folk song you could suggest?

>How does that make you feel?
In the US, depending where you are from, it is fine to call someone a yankee. Southerners like me are never called a yankee. It goes back to the civil war days when federal soldiers were called billy yank, So to us Southerners, it is insulting to be called one. It's a regional identity thing. Most Europeans get a pass from me, because I realize that they don't know the history, but the British fucking annoy me.
I actually like Estonian plurals. The -id is very understandable for me.

>two independence days? did the USSR collapse get its own day?
Yes.

>also any additional folk song you could suggest?
Eh, I'm personally not too keen on that stuff, more into folk rock/metal.

Maybe this guy, desu
youtube.com/watch?v=iQ3yEr8KqcA

Metsatoll? I saw them at Rock cafe last year...unbelievable concert.

yeah, those fuckers can rock

my personal favourite:
youtube.com/watch?v=rMSMu4Vqj-g

Nad on nii hea!

man I remember being really into folk metal few years ago, mainly Nordic and Slavic, Baltic too, btw folk rock and metal suggestions would be great to pham

>Ass Mattasse
>Travolta/Williams in... Vanad Penid

wtf I love Eesti now