Chromebooks

Does Sup Forums approve of chromebooks?

Other urls found in this thread:

coreboot.org/Chromebooks
docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eGPMu03vCxIO0a3oNX8Hmij_Qwwz6R6ViFC_1HlHOYQ/edit#slide=id.p
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

i got a chromebook because i read some good reviews and i can't stand it. it would be perfect for your grandparents but for actual use it's terrible.

Yes. Just not as laptops.

Good for schools, not good for anything outside of basic web browsing.

Chrubuntu is a good choice for any chomebookfags that want to play steam on their chromebooks.

It's good for browsing, but that's literally it.

No. Only does web browsing well. Not even a good linux machine because it doesnt even have a fucking super key.

Yes, for normies Chromebooks are PERFECT.

Windows laptops are just junk, and Macbooks are total overkill for most people. Especially now that there are Chromebooks with really nice build quality but at great prices...

>I got a pencil because people told me they were nice and my god what a piece of shit they don't even write with ink! They don't even have a little flashlight at the end! What a shit product!

The one I got weighs less than 2lbs, making it very convenient to carry around. Was around 150 USD I got set up with crouton and am now running Ubuntu 1604 on it. Great for to ssh with into my server on the go. Actual chrome os is infuriating. Not even a decent choice to stream videos with because of missing flash player. Do not pay for an expensive one.

They're perfect machines for getting work done on the go. However, they're terrible as "the only computer you'll ever need that just so happens to fit in your bag," which is how the majority of people use laptops.

I love mine I bought it as a low power laptop that can go for hours and installed coreboot on it now its a fully functional lightweight Linux laptop that's so cheap its basically disposable

They're not an X220t, so no. That being said when they start to compete with lower end i series processors (some already do for a price) I'll be getting one and putting linux on it

If they could run every android app i would probably get one but there is hardly any compatibility.

If school and college brainlets bought these instead of macbooks that would be an improvement

>needing approval from a bunch of autistic weeaboos and/or pedos that know jack shit about tech.

What are you on about. I have a pixelbook and every app works on it.

but everything is good for browsing so what's the point?

yeah the hardware is good for the price. if you change the os its probably a decent option

This
My sister asked me about them, so I installed the OS on an old thinkpad to test it, and then got her a good chromebook, the hp 11 one, nice aesthetics
She can listen to spotify, watch netflix, access her files on the drive, save some files locally, google sheets / docs / presentation thing lets her do all her work on it, and she can facebook or youtube or whateverthefuck else normies might wanna do. fast, no bloat, can read memory sticks, and battery lasts for ages.
as says, they're no thinkpad and they aren't even a good linux machine as the cpus are slow as hell, but the battery lasts ages, it's cheap, and it does what most people use macbooks for.
I'd consider getting one to fuck about on if only they had any good ones. They all look like cheap shit except for the really old and slow hp 11, and the pixels which are insanely expensive

What a waste of quads, such a retarded post

botnet? yes. work well? also yes
t. recently upgraded from a acer c720 chromebook to a thinkpad t420

It's good if you don't have to deal with MS Office files, like excels formulas that other spreadsheets don't have. Or if you have a constant internet connection.

No

Tell me what a chromebooks does that your smartphone doesn't?

>Typing your assignments?
Meh. Windows laptop are far more capable and have much more productivity apps.
>Games?
Plain retarded. Goodluck on trying to playing touch optimized games on keyboard and mouse
>Larger screen estate?
Lol i bet your smartphone have higher res than that chromebooks.

The only plus that i can think of is hdmi port to turn it into htpc, but then again a much better option is available out there, AND not every chromebooks have hdmi port.

>botnet? yes.

How?

I've owned one. They're shit. It was one of the so called "good" ones too. Use a desktop at home and and old Memepad on the go because every single laptop you can buy now is a Chinese piece of shit.

would a chromebook be useful for reading pdfs and listening to music/watching videos on youtube?

chromebooks are so comfy!

Ipads are superior

Chromebooks can't get viruses.

>- Okay, Google, we need an OS that is even more useless than GNU/Linux!
> - Say no more!
That said - their screens have a great aspect ratio.

>Google only supports Chromebooks for 5 years
>can't update Chrome after that

Defend this

how are the Atom CPUs?

Jewgle botnet garbage for poorfag normies.

I have a lenovo n22 that I replaced the firmware and installed galliumOS on. Pretty comfy and the battery lasts hilariously long, but they do have limitations. For example, there is no delete key and no right click (have do 2 finger tap the trackpad). They are good normie machines when stock and comfy fanless netbooks when reconfigured. They are much more difficult to install linux on due to lack of a proper bios, however.

I got one of these (the 4GB HD version) for the sole purpose of shitposting on Sup Forums in style (can't afford a really good laptop).
Using it is a very weird experience. As long as I use it to browse websites using Chrome, it feels like using a really fantastic premium laptop with a great screen CPU and battery life. As soon as I use it for ANYTHING else, it's absolutely shit.
Now you may be about to say "well hurr durr it's a Chromebook what do you expect". But I expected to be able to do basic shit like access Dropbox without having to log in every time I open the tab. I have it pinned to my "app shelf" but no, 50% of the time I get arbitrarily logged out. Same with Netflix. Android apps are a hot mess; can't copy and paste from Android to Chrome; most Android alternatives to Word are broken. As in just don't work.
I contemplated installing Linux, but what's the point; the issue I have is lack of offline software which installing Linux isn't really going to address.

EVERYONE READ THESE
coreboot.org/Chromebooks
docs.google.com/presentation/d/1eGPMu03vCxIO0a3oNX8Hmij_Qwwz6R6ViFC_1HlHOYQ/edit#slide=id.p

>I'd consider getting one to fuck about on if only they had any good ones. They all look like cheap shit except for the really old and slow hp 11, and the pixels which are insanely expensive

You haven't looked recently.

Samsung, Acer, and Dell make very premium feeling chromebooks with metal bodies, hidpi IPS panels, some with touchscreen and pen support, for half of less what an equivalent Windows laptop would cost (and a fraction of a Macbook).

Botnet: the OS

Yes.

Shitty and slow.

Get a Core M.

Installing Linux obviously would fix that issue (although you probably only have 32GB built in eMMC so it'll be tight and slow).

But, really, what did you expect with a Chromebook? It's meant to do everything online through the browser; if that doesn't work for you then get something else.

>access Dropbox without having to log in every time I open the tab
>Same with Netflix

I have no problems with opening Dropbox or Netflix in a new tab and staying logged in on my C720p.
As for Android apps, mine doesn't support it, so no experience there.

I'm pretty happy with mine for shitposting, ssh'ing to my linux machine, streaming from my media server and doing some web development work.