/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Previous thread: What are you working on, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4Z3TzdfN2fLp1WZ
pastebin.com/kNzNeqet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>less popular than Perl6 and Vala
D(ead)

Facts and statistics say C is dying and I only hear otherwise from Sup Forums.

std::thinking

>github
You need to leave.

What are some good modern c++ codebases to read and learn?

>good
>C++
That's an oxymoron.

Working on getting a fuckin job but no one will hire me because I don't have a million years of experience right out of college

You can look at your own charts for a start. The top one clearly shows quite clearly what projects actually survive the test of time. It's not like Javascript and C++ are new.

""""""""facts""""""" and """"""""statistics"""""""""""'

>JavaScript 22%(-5.7%)
So it's actually getting bet-
>Go 7%(+2%)
Oh fuck, the industry is doomed.

>The top one clearly shows quite clearly what projects actually survive the test of time.
Time is omnipotent. It kills/can kill everything. I've seen BASIC rise and die too.
Yes, kind of stuff that scare your type.

>Yes, kind of stuff that scare your type.
And you say that while selectively disregarding your own data in the same post? Do you "people" have a modicum of self-awareness, or are you eternally stuck on the level of a simple animal?

>I can't find a job because I don't have experience because I can't find a job because I don't have experience because I can't find a job because I don't have experience...

google.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_4Z3TzdfN2fLp1WZ
So much for Rust being the SJW language. Also, I invite you to use this opportunity to tell the Go authors their language is shit.

>disregarding your own data
How. Doesn't seem like C is passing the test of time" because other highe level languages are simply gaining more popularity.

You realize people find programming jobs all the time, right? The only people believing this excuse are other perma-NEETs like you.

(You)
Also can degenerate westerners explain what QIA stands for in LGBTQIA?

Questions In Answers

I've been job searching for six months now, it's always the same response. "Thanks for your interest in the position but we would like to explore more qualified candidates"

>How
By ignoring the top half of it and focusing on the past 12 months, as if they mean something. Every kid and his dog can start a new open-source project, but the vast majority of them are trash that quickly gets abandoned and forgotten. I don't see how it's relevant what people who have no idea what they're doing use for their toy projects.

> Doesn't seem like C is passing the test of time
And yet it single-handedly takes up half of the long-term pie chart.

Both Go and Rust are SJW garbage. C is the white Christian man's language.

>I've been job searching for six months now, it's always the same response
Have you considered that maybe you're just incompetent? Companies that are looking for someone with experience in the industry always make it clear in the job offer. Either you're retarded and keep applying for those jobs anyway, or you keep applying for jobs that don't require such experience, and lack the qualification of actually being a good programmer.

Ah I see how you are making mistakes, you only saw the fist chart. Let me explain the picture for you:

1. The first chart shows the dominance of C so far.
>What it means
C was / has been popular
2. The second chart shows the latest status of popularity
>What it means
C is not popular now.

3. The third chart shows the recent trend of language adoption, where C looks miserable
>What it means
C hasn't been popular recently.

Summary: C is not passing the test of time as new languages are taking over.
I suggest that you do more reading to improve your reading comprehension and critical reasoning. Rread more books, journals, solve more word puzzles. It helps kids with learning disability.
>Every kid and his dog can start a new open-source project,
1. This does not prevent "Every kid and his dog" to use C.
2. The point of C is making kernels and as such. This somewhat makes C less interesting/demanding, which is, again reflected in the chart.

Makes sense?

I primarily apply to positions that list a BS in CS (which I have) as the only qualification. I consider myself an excellent programmer and had help from my uni writing my resume. I don't what the problem is.

>doesn't understand a word i said
>simply reiterates his own baseless conclusion
>doesn't address the argument explaining why his conclusion is baseless
Off you go, tard.

Is it worth using inheritance when all I want is to change the printing a little?

>I primarily apply to positions that list a BS in CS (which I have) as the only qualification.
So they only list that as a requirement, and then waste their time telling the applicants individually that they need additional ones?

>I consider myself an excellent programmer
Well, maybe others don't consider you an excellent programmer. Your story just doesn't add up.

>doesn't address the argument explaining why his conclusion is baseless
So your argument was:
>By ignoring the top half of it and focusing on the past 12 months, (),
which has been explained very thoroughly in clause 1-4 here: ()

Your second argument was that
>>Every kid and his dog can start a new open-source project,
which again, was been explained thoroughly in the clause of my previous post.

>I consider myself an excellent programmer
Kinda makes you sound like a twat to be honest famalam.

>So they only list that as a requirement, and then waste their time telling the applicants individually that they need additional ones?
It would seem so.

>Well, maybe others don't consider you an excellent programmer. Your story just doesn't add up.
Possibly, though I don't know what else to do to convey to them that I am.

Let me dumb it down for you, my mentally-challenged friend: the fact that people have been pumping out loads and loads of Javascript over the past 12 months, displacing C, doesn't mean that 3 years down the road most of this Javascript trash won't be discarded and forgotten. The C projects are still going to be there, though.

Lol. Look at these Cbois. In 2020, they'll become a minority.
t.46%

>The C projects are still going to be there, though.
I'm not that guy, but honestly, is that really all that positive? Look at how Fortran and shit like that ended up.

>It would seem so.
Why wouldn't they simply list all of their requirements? If they're looking for a guy with X years of experience, why would they omit that and waste time interviewing you? Do you see how your story doesn't add up, user?

>The C projects are still going to be there, though.
Cobol is still there, running the international banking system.

Or it just means GitHub is not big with the conservative crowd. For all I know, the SJWs are shitting out garbage projects in garbage languages at breakneck speed - 100 commits to the readme gets that activity graph green and nice. Ultimately, this doesn't prove anything.

Sure, but it's still the best metric we have.

At some companies, HR enforces a policy where even though you know who you want to give a job to, you're forced to make it open to everyone internally for a few months and externally for another few. That's one reason they wouldn't list all their requirements and just reject everyone.

>I'm not that guy, but honestly, is that really all that positive?
Was I saying that it's positive? I was simply pointing out that the tard is drawing baseless conclusions. It's especially obvious given that this apparent displacement of C comes not from some new programming language competing with C, but from Javascript. He unironically seems to think that kids pumping out more webshit than ever is a sign that C is dying.

No, there are better metrics, see pic related.

It's based on GH too, m8, it just adds SO on top of it.

Yes, I agree it's bullshit, but that's what's happening. Believe me or not I don't give a fuck

This chart is no different to that of OP. Can you not read?

You're misreading the graph.

>graduated 3 years ago
>still a NEET
What's your excuse?

>b-b-but muh cobol
Boy, you really just can't grasp the point, can you? Let me dumb it down for you even more: if you want a meaningful measurement, remove javascript, because it's not even in the same niche as C, and only count projects that have been active for at least 3-4 years. Then we'll see where C stands.

>For all I know, the SJWs are shitting out garbage projects in garbage languages at breakneck speed
No wonder people dont take 4/8/9gag serioudly.

No wonder people don't take reddit seriously.

Come back when you provide a meaningful measurement, e.g. . For now, you have to go back, newfriend.

Not mutually exclusive, but I'd argue otherwise if it comes to comparison

Your's not a meaningful measurement, user.

>Your's not a meaningful measurement, user.
This is coming from the tard who thinks that Javascript is killing C, and that the current year's fashion trends will determine the makeup of open source projects that survive over the long term. My measurement merely fixes some of the blatant flaws in yours, fucktard. Blatant denial isn't going to change this, dumb little animal.

>No wonder people dont take 4/8/9gag serioudly.
Why would anyone want it otherwise ?

>This is coming from the tard who thinks that Javascript is killing C,
No, C++ is. Where did you get that quote from?
Also, JavaScript is not going to kill C, C's own niche is somewhat suicidal. You don't live in a world where the number of kernels/drivers match the number of userspace application.

cuntry?

how do i static_assert that a variable won't be 0? i don't want a runtime check. i'd really like a static_assert somehow to try to keep future maintainers from fucking it up

just static_assert(variable)

Just recompiled this list from the last thread, for noobs that want to learn PROPER CS:

pastebin.com/kNzNeqet

error: static_assert expression is not an integral constant expression
note: read of non-constexpr variable 'variable' is not allowed in a constant expression

>C++ is up 43% according to your statistics
>C is up 47%
>C++ is killing C
What did he mean by this?

The variable has to be constant. If it's set at runtime, how did you intend to check it at compile time?

I consider myself an excellent programmer.

>C: -27.67%
>C++: +8.71%
Hmm

>excellent programmer
>never had a job
user

one company I worked for a while ago had a whole "culture" of bullying fresh graduates

DM is 15th.
What is this?

I consider myself an autist.

Alright, so why did you post ?

what kind of autist? A good programmer genius kind or incapable neet kind?

that's what i'm asking

you could define an array of enum class variables to map from an index to a set of allowed values but that's a bit inelegant of course

Do you know the variable at compile time or not?

What's the difference?

>C++ is
There's no actual evidence for this. Come back when most mature projects in the niche formerly occupied by C are written in C++, or something other than C. So far, all you're doing is to screech "ha-ha C lost 27% in a year! It's dying!" while ignoring the fact that most of it is due to your data including Javascript.

>You don't live in a world where the number of kernels/drivers match the number of userspace application
If you think C++ is going to be a language of choice for userspace applications a decade from now, you're absolutely delusional. Drivers and kernels are still going to be needed, though.

I am just like C++.

Op's picture looks a bit more updated though.

Also, these stats are updated each quarters but C has lower adoption rate in a per year basis chart.

>>C++ is
>There's no actual evidence for this
Show me one graph I or OP posted where C is more popular than C++

>ha-ha C lost 27% in a year! It's dying
Not in a year tho, it has been losing popularity for ages.

>If you think C++ is going to be a language of choice for userspace applications a decade from now,
Not only C++. In fact, C++ will end up making C obsolete where C is supposed to be: kernel level programming. For userspace there are better choices and it really shows in the graph.

>Drivers and kernels are still going to be needed, though.
Nearly not as much as userspace applications.

Are TypeScript and CoffeeScript just memes? Is there value in these or should most/all developers just stick with 'vanilla' JavaScript?

So why are you posting images directly contradicting your own claims?

Answer my question.

They don't contradict that C is dying.

Why do I hate Ruby and Go?

"dying" is a statement regarding the rate of change, something your picture doesn't tell us anything about. Your picture also counts unique projects, not LOC, something which javascript "programmers" excel at shitting out.

>Show me one graph I or OP posted where C is more popular than C++
The one that says "Top Open Source Languages of All Time", which presumably shows aggregated long-term data. No matter how many times you screech about the current fashion trends, I'll just point you back at it and tell you to come back when you have some data on actual mature projects from the niche C is in. If you don't understand why this is the metric that ultimately matters in determining whether C is dying or not, you have brain damage and I can't help you.

>In fact, C++ will end up making C obsolete where C is supposed to be: kernel level programming
Cute delusion. Come back when you have evidence that this is happening.

>Nearly not as much as userspace applications.
I don't see how that's relevant. It's like claiming that web server software is dying because the number of web applications is vastly outgrowing it.

>a ton of C++ (and other) projects also use C libraries
>most of that javashit is webshit

>"dying" is a statement regarding the rate of change
Right

there is value in ts most likely
i mean it's de facto backed by microsoft (designer) and google (angular) now

coffeescript not so much, thing of the past before es6 and various languages transpiling to js

Push.
Poor C :C

tripfag no tripfaggotry
tripfag no tripfaggotry
tripfag no tripfaggotry

At least it's statically typed.

ITT: retards making objectively meaningless statements and then claiming that the pretty pictures back them up because it looks that way to them.

There's nothing in C that's worth giving up C++14 constexpr for.

What's the best technology for making GUI applications and why is it Electron?

>muh constexpr
If anything should replace C, it's Terra, or something similar. C++ is an abomination.

Tbh, there's nothing in C that's worth giving up C++98 for.

C++98 was garbage and had no good features.

>there's nothing in C that's worth giving up C++98 for
The lack of C++ features, and subsequent lack of appeal to C++ users, is in and of itself a feature.

Sure, but it already had templates and STL, making it better than C.

There are things in C++ that are worth giving up C++ for.

>STL makes C++ better than C
Case in point for

TS adds static typing to JS, which is sane. CS is only JS for RoR tards.

>There are things in C++ that are worth giving up C++ for.
It sounds nonsensical at first glance, but there's a deep truth in it.

Why constexpr gives everyone a boner? What's so great about it