Future of PC

Is Android Oreo and USB-C the future of PCs?
>USB-C can output video and audio signal
>Android oreo has native support for screen mirroring and desktop mode.
Especially recently there is a need for a smaller and smaller device to take with you but you can still maintain the desktop experience.
Doesn't this mark the Galaxy S8/S8+/Note8 as the first device of many to come?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/superjamie/lazyweb/wiki/x86-on-Pi
youtube.com/watch?v=s5xYe9N7how
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> desktop experience
> S8 first device
> no physical keyboard
Kek

>6.3"

>no physical keyboard
You could get a bluetooth keyboard.
What's HDMI/Display port output?

>connect your phone to whatever screen
>it outputs video and audio to the big screen
>interface switches to desktop configuration
>whole phone screen becomes keyboard+trackpad
>phone is also charged through the USB-C connection

I look forward to this

>What's HDMI/Display port output?
a good invention
It could be used to keep the display size sane, 6.3" is far too much

>6.3" is far too much
manlet

>6.3" is far too much
Even little girls can handle 7" with no problems.

My '12 S3 can literally do this. Like ALL smartphones for at least that long. Nobody uses it. Why would anybody expect this to become a thing now, although the possibility has existed for years and nothing has changed lately?

I remember using my Galaxy S2 to output to my TV. This was many years ago. I see no purpose in pushing this today as this is mostly a novelty thing. If you really wanted a mobile desktop then you would get a laptop so you can have all your x86 applications.

1. Screen mirroring isn't the same as desktop mode.
2. Better hardware allow for more stuff to do.
>x86 applications
Which will soon come to an end.
ARM architecture shall prevail.

>ARM can't run X86
github.com/superjamie/lazyweb/wiki/x86-on-Pi

Yeah, no.

>nothing has changed lately?
Phones have become much more powerful since then, now you could actually get stuff done, hell, you could probably emulate a Linux DE

Can you really connect your S3 to a TV and have it output audio and video though?

Yes, it's called HDMI. It's pretty good at outputting both audio and video.

Also, the S3 (1.4 Ghz quad core) was considered pretty powerful in '12. Having better stuff now doesn't mean it was crap then. If we didn't use that feature then, we sure not gonna use it now.

>HDMI
So you used one of those MHL cables, which are basically microUSB-to-HTML cables? How was the transfer speed? Any throttling or lagging?

>MHL

No, actually is isn't MHL. It was a proprietary Samsung only thing. It was basically MHL with a few thing changed so the $5 chink adapters wouldn't work.

Lag wasn't really significant. I wouldn't do first person shooters but that's not the use case anyway. For a desktop it's more than fine.

>7"
iSeeWhatYouDidThere :^)

>Nobody uses it
Because of expensive propriety adapters and bad software support.
More people are picking phones over laptops now, and few years back people picked laptops over desktops.
Unless you're a gamer or work with specific programs, a phone can do most of you needs.
Which are browsing the web and playing media files, and you can have most of your extensions and userscripts as well.

Can't you use the stylus as mouse? and the screen as keyboard?

>Android oreo has native support for screen mirroring and desktop mode.
But the Samsung Dex cost a fortune...
youtube.com/watch?v=s5xYe9N7how