/mkg/ - Reddit Edition

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX
item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.62.4549bc79oWRvoS&id=547508026858&ns=1&abbucket=20#detail
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do I need to ANSI mod a Model F AT?

geekwhack.org/index.php?topic=48288.0

Are ergo clears worth doing? It sounds like a pain in the ass

do you even have any problems with the default clears?

So exactly why does everybody hate the world's most popular Cherry switch, the MX Brown? Please use evidence rather than emotionally blurting "they're mush."

We'll memed! Let Upvote for you, good sir.

they arent very tactile and they are too light, cherry mx clears are much better

He types 1 WPM that's why he feels the tactility

>4. transliterated is cat light? (猫灯) Not sure about this one

Pretty sure that's the backlit cat logo like on the other XD boards

>According to XD84 PCB on aliexpress, it is programmable, but not compatible with QMK/TMK. It uses TKG:

The XD60 and XD75RE both support QMK though

My Ducky One Blue LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard just had an LED die, and when I try to turn off all the LEDs a few of them stay lit.

>Ducky
>Quality
>Pick only one.

No, you didnt. That varmilo aluminum case wont fit your masterkeys, nor will the filco one from doyu studio. TKLs follow no standard, Varmilo cases only fit varmilo boards, and filco cases only fir some costar boards (Filco, WASD, KBP, quickfire rapid) and has parcial compatibility with phantom plate.

What's your guys opinion on MX Reds?

no budget, from canada and need media keys, clicky keys and if possible compact while being white.

this is a large task but i don't think there is a keyboard like this yet..?

Is there a cherry switch equivalent of this?

I dislike they because they're advertised as quiet everywhere while being rather loud in reality. At least when compared to rubber dome keyboards.

Opted for a corsair keyboard for this very reason, MX Silent Reds are pretty neat. Typing is alright and at least they're actually fucking quiet.

Looked at topre and the canadian switches but they're all louder. Could of course do some fuckery with o-rings or lube or whatever but I don't think I'm in for shit like that.

Thanks for reading my blogpost.

No

theres not really an equivalent but cherry mx clears are more tactile than it in my opinion

No idea, tactile feedback is just right to know when to stop pushing, IMO. Maybe they like to push buttons harder. Or they like clicky sounds. Or no feedback at all. That's why key testers exist, you select the switch you like and then furiously shit on everything else.

>he fell for the LED meme
There's a reason why Filco got rid of their backlit keys, and thats because all LEDs suck. Luckily for you ducky has their LEDs on a sperate PCB so you can easily fix it without damaging anything

Kailh box navy. Its stiff as fuck, has the same kind of tactility (almost linear until it colapses), and is also very loud and annoying. Not as pingy as a model M/F tho, if all that ping pong turns you on you might get disappointed.

>Luckily for you ducky has their LEDs on a sperate PCB

Not ducky one, only their RGB boards. Single 3mm led keyboards are poorly engineered, as most of stock keycaps and pretty much all cherry profile keycaps hit the leds before bottoming out. All that hammering on a lit LED always result in failure.

what's the hive mind consensus on the Das Keyboard Q5? I've been looking for a quality rgb keyboard and the idea of using the backlighting as a notification dashboard looks interesting. Having an open API makes me hopeful it will work well on Linux. for example, I love to use Pywall in i3 and I hope someone makes a fork or script that will auto change the backlighting on the keyboard to match the color scheme of the terminals.

Or is it just an overpriced toy? It's not like I get lots of notifications anyway. . .

for that price why not go with a realforce rgb?

what are the most tactile switches around?

MX Browns

Don't listen too that would be dirt modded mx reds

well i already have cherry mx clears, but im looking for something more tactile, or is there even such a thing?

Brown Alps

Some alps switches are more tactile, so if you don't mind used then go ahead

Forgot the pic

What keyboard should I buy with €200?

hmm.... what feature are modern keyboards missing?
>a botnet
Ah yes exactly what we need

FC660c

A TADA68, then you'll have money left over

way too light, loses its tactility imo.
i agree with mx clears are only good cherry switch

Might kind of be stupid a question but I have been seeing around this thread for a while and I keep seeing "Cherry red switch" and different colors of the parts underneath the keyboard caps. Does this come to mean that cherry = red, blueberry = blue, etc? Is this how keyboard switches are separated? Or just some name brand that people enjoy a lot to buy?

cherry is the company that makes the switches and the colors are for the different type of switches made by cherry, the color for cherry switches matches up with the color of the stem.

I think I get what you're saying. Cherry is the name of the corporation that invented the MX design, the colors under the keycaps represent the type of the switch. If you read the pastebins in the op you'll get a better idea

Any opinions on Kailh low profile? Thinking of getting a Dare-U BT low profile to use with my laptop. Dare-U also makes the Havit low profile boards, which are identical except they don't have BT.

i feel the need to build a keyboard but easyEDA is telling me to build 10, what should i do?

just hand wire it

Okay I just read some of them. So they are not referring to different fruit for each one different of the types of different switches?

They are not.

the colors are just there to help you identify the switch type
here's almost all of them
deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX

I also fell for this meme, one LED failed on my Shine 3 after a few months.. I don't like any of the lighting modes other than reactive though so I don't really notice or care too much.. but yeah it is a bummer, I asked /mkg/ before I bought it also and at that time it was all "nah it's fine ducky has no LED failure problems" but yeah, they are quite widely reported

i hate to break it to you, but all commerical rgb keyboards have led failures

that's why people who know their shit don't buy into them

screw it then, if I want RGB I'll just get a Ducky Shine.

Not sure if I want a Das Keyboard pro 4 or a Ducky Shine. I guess it comes down to how badly I want RGB lighting and if any of them will make a bad echoing sound while I type.

My Corsair K65 often makes a terrible echoing sound if I bottom out. Playing around with the lighting on the K65 was fun until the LEDs started to break. However, I like the Aesthetics of the body on the Das Keyboard more.

Then what brand am I supposed to buy if I'm looking for a programmable RGB keyboard?

fug

Thank you guys a lot for the help. Would you agree that the "Cherry MX" name makes it for confusing because of the relations directly to a fruit? A bit misleading

No, you're just a brainlet

I could see how someone looking to buy their first mechanical keyboard might get confused when switches are referred to as "brown cherries" or "green cherries." but yeah, the color is the only two distinguish switch type. Things like weight needed to actuate the switch, whether or not there's a tactile bump Etc. on the topic of noise, it's always possible to dampen the sound with rubber rings you put inside the key caps.the material and build quality of the board itself and the thickness of the plastic in the keycaps can also affect the sound in loudness of your keyboard. I personally like having a little loudness to my typing even if I'm playing a game. I think it's from all that time playing fighting games.

No, because phrases like "Cherry brown" and "Cherry blue" make it abundantly clear it's not referring to the fruit.

is this Bluetooth? were is the usb port ?

The controller is not attached to the switch matrix yet.

I know that Ducky shine uses more durable SMD LEDs, that are also on a separate PCB. The nice thing about the Ducky keyboards is that they are all driver less meaning they work on all operating systems that support USB (There might be issues with NKRO, but you can disable it with a dip switch on the back). There is software to help you program it, but you don't need it and ducky recommends you don't use it.

I think you are missing the point. "Cherry MX" is the brand name, yes? Cherry = fruit, not sure how you don't agree with my point about the connecting relation there. See agrees with me

no one refers to them as "blue cherries, black cherries." they refer to them by the MX name since cherry also has ML, MY, M8, M9, etc. branded switches. You're just an dumb dumb

is it possible to wear down the tactile bump through excessive use on a cherry mx clear switch?

See what you're missing is a grasp of context. Yes, a cherry is a type of fruit. However, if you hear someone talking about a keyboard with Cherry blues, unless you're mentally disabled you'll think "Hmmm, that must be a brand name since cherries aren't blue and are unrelated to keyboards".

>I know that Ducky shine uses more durable SMD LEDs, that are also on a separate PCB
So can I be confident it will last 5 years without having LEDs break? My K65 had broken LEDs a few months of use. is saying any RGB keyboard is going to have LEDs die.

The name may confuse a normie into thinking is referring to fruit, you should have been able to tell it's referring to a brand or type of switch by context. Or maybe you're a native speaker in a language where you never had to discern something from contacts?

Ducky uses standard a 3528 SMD LED which ideally can last for 100,000 hours of continuous use, but I doubt that. Most tests online say that it's closer to 50,000 which I believe. SMD LEDs are very durable, but if something goes wrong they aren't hard to fix, especially since Ducky has them on a separate PCB

they feel even lighter than reds to me

My keyboards are reds (before I bought a key tester and only had gamer shit) then clears, and then greens. The board with the clears stays on my desk and I use the greens as a travel board cause it's 60%.

that's because they are about the same

I always appreciate being able to repair your own electronics, but I couldn't find a guide on how to do it specifically with the Ducky Shine 6. I did find people complaining about LEDs dying within a year on similar models. I think I'll just go for a Das keyboard and get LED strips to put behind my monitor and under my desk to indulge in childish meme lighting.

Where should I shop to find key caps with gold lettering. I'd like them to match my cat's urn.
(I cleaned up my desk since then)

>Das keyboard
lol, enjoy your overpriced chinkshit, but hey at least you get a metal sticker

Cool keyboard op.

Damn it, this is the one general on Sup Forums where I get the around about when asking for purchasing advice. Someone recommended The Das Keyboard 4 in the previous thread. I think a Corsair is the only thing /mkg/ agrees is a bad brand.

What about Filco? Are they chinkshit? The Majestouch looks pretty cool when that gun poster shows up.

I have a sinking feeling I'm going to have to paint my own keycaps if I want gold colored legends to match my cat's urn. . .

It's even better in motion

I'd only get a Filco if I'm interested in the modding community. The build quality is amazing, but they use the worst keycaps money can buy (no seriously replace them ASAP), not to mention they're overpriced when compared to the competition. But they are extremely customizeable. If you want to get a keyboard to mod then Filco is your best choice. If you don't care about any of that then just get a Cooler Master Pro PBT or a Ducky One PBT, or my favorite Leopold PD

i will buy filco minila anytime now if not because of its retarded spacebar

its okay, EnjoyPBT makes replacement spacebars in all sorts of colors that match their sets

I can tell just looking at pictures of the Majestouch that the keycaps are going to be garbage. I can't think of anywhere where I can find keycaps with gold legends on them so I might resort to buying a custom set from wasd with the legends printed in a slightly darker shade of yellow. I'm aware I'd be replacing bad keep caps with other bad keycaps.

I just really miss my cat. . .

and left ctrl too mind you

Don't worry the chinks have you covered
item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.62.4549bc79oWRvoS&id=547508026858&ns=1&abbucket=20#detail
There are too many sets to fit in this post

it's not the aesthetic i have a problem with. it's muscle memory

So you just want black keycaps with gold lettering? I know IMSTO has a set like that

Why are there no keyboards with the numpad on the left?

there are tho
You have the apollo mini, extended southpaw, Ducky, lz rv, DSI, and that 96key one on reddit.

Browns and Blues are bottom-out central.

I looked at their site and they don't have a full set with gold legends. Qisan has a set of typewriter Style keycaps that I find awfully tempting. Somehow I doubt their quality but have a huge fetish for the early 20th century and especially American crime in the prohibition era.

They come in white with gold trim and black with silver trim. Either of them might look good next to my cat's urn if I wanted to move it back to my desk. Again though, I have some doubts about the printing quality. Supposedly it's double shot but $30 I'm a little skeptical. I love the font on them, but it would be a shame if it started to fade after a few years.

Thats the two switches I'm deciding between. I bottom out no matter what.

what about skidata?

Is it common to flip your spacebar upside down like that?

I should not that its ABS and not PBT, but at least its doubleshot

for a first set of new keycaps for a fairly entry level board is it really worth spending an extra 40 bucks for enjoyPBT caps over dye-subbed NPKC from kbdfans?

that's how its done now days, even keysets out of the box come with the spacebar flipped

Thanks doc.

who topre realforce rgb

do I click CONFIRM ORDER or what

hey, Sup Forums
Could you please help me with a recommendation. I would like to buy a mechanical keyboard that:
* is silent
* 75% form factor (i need dedicated keys for arrows)
* has backlight
* is black

god damn that is cozy

You could've just gotten a Ducky One with that style of keycaps as stock

KBD75 with cherry silents. If you want something tactile then there is the matias 75% with quiet tactile switches, but it has no backlight

The legends of printed in orange rather than gold but otherwise what I have been looking for.

I just hope they ship to the US.

Yay or nay to these colored keys to my standard black keyboard? Does it look too tryhard/autistic?

What is in this build specifically?
I really like the floating key design and want to make something similar.

pls respond

looks like shit with no clear goal
if you're going to make WASD green then you might as wekk hit KL;', with green for some kind of symmetry
lower right and \ having essentially random colors looks bad too
honestly it just looks retarded man

You're not wrong about the lack of symmetry
Sticking with this instead

at least try the l;'/
for my autism
p-please

It's objectively wrong ergonomics to ever have your thumbs at that angle. It's a meme.

>sandwich case
>visible screws
>floating key