Spacemacs

I thought that Spacemacs was just another emacs preset package, but its an entirely new kind of editor that brings vim modality to how commands are issued. The problem with emacs is that using chords very quickly becomes unwieldy as you start having to press some rediculously long and complicated key combinations (and memorize all of them). With Spacemacs you have all the commands in a vim-like command mode. You have normal vim mode of keybindings when you are in command mode in Spacemacs, but when you hit the space bar, this opens up a whole new menu of high level category commands that all have a single key to activate. So to do some command in Spacemacs you just hit the space bar and then type a succession of 2 to 4 keys. No memorization, no complicated chords. So you can start being a wizard right away and not spend 6 months trying to remember very arcane commands as you do in regular emacs.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Spacemacs
github.com/justbur/emacs-which-key
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The docs on the spacemacs website are horrible btw, ironically the Arch wiki has the best quickstart tutorial:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Spacemacs

gave spacemacs an honest try, still too much keybind autism for me.

I'll stick with vim.

what exactly do these emacs editors do that makes them so special? As of right now, I see no reason to not just stick to regular vim

vim requires a shit ton of plugins and a mile long .vimrc file to make it a fully usable editor, Spacemacs just uses the already proven functionality in emacs and just gives it an easier to use interface

>vim requires a shit ton of plugins and a mile long .vimrc file to make it a fully usable editor
It really doesn't, most of the plugins people use are functionality vim already has. I use it daily and have zero plugins.

How can you not remember a two to four key shortcut for emacs? Most normalfags know control-c and control-v and those are two keys. Are you mentally challenged?

That's bullshit. 90% of the plugins for vim are shitty reimplementations of built in features. This fucking idea is perpetuated because nobody RTFMs anymore.

Eh, I just stuck with emacs

should i take the time to watch that video? It's always in my recommended videos

What video? If you want to learn to use vim, you should start with vimtutor, then read the getting started sections of :help. Once you have the basics down, start the editing effectively sections.

Yeah, emacs is great.
Some of my favorite features are:
-tramp: Lets you edit remote files as if they were local files, no lag or connection issues like you can get if you are using an editor over ssh.
-magit: A very nice git interface that shows you the changes for commits graphically in a buffer and gives you hotkeys.
-AUCTeX: Very nice for working with LaTeX. I also use pdf-tools for opening the output PDF right in an emacs buffer.

I haven't tried AUCTeX or magit but tramp is great. I love using it for editing files over ssh.

Yeah. Did you know that you can use eshell over tram as well? If you open an eshell buffer over tramp, it will run commands on the remote system.
I also have a hotkey set up to prompt for a password and open a file as root (C-x C-r), so I don't have to reopen as root for editing system files.
The guy who works on Magit had a kickstarter a while ago, he is taking a year off of work to make it even better. I gave him some money, since it's one of my favorite emacs features

Does it work with Slime?

I didn't know that, that's cool. Emacs is by far the best editor.

m e t a

Spacemacs uses layers instead of packages which I havent figured out yet

its ok, but i dont like it very much.
i tried modifying a few scripts, or only loading a few select addons from a layer
but could never really get that to work well, and when i could it would easily break.
im sure theres ways around it but its annoying, and some of the documentation showing how to just doesnt work

ill just manually make an emacs setup with evil and friends someday when i feel like it.

I like emacs keybindings though.

this desu senpai

same here. switching mods (in vim) feels cumbersome. maybe I just don't have the muscle memory down yet.

Yes, that's my problem with vi too. I don't like having to go to different modes to enter and manipulate text. Emacs keybindings are very comfy once you get used to them.

>I like emacs keybindings though.
when you run Spacemacs for the first time the console gives you a couple of configuration options to set, one of which is whether to run in vim mode or holy mode (regular emacs)

>emulate vim in spacemacs

some retards might fall for it I guess

Spacemacs is fucking garbage
>takes 30 seconds+ to load even with only the default packages

Use evil mode.

Im gonna stick to vim.

my vimrc is like 4 lines

Most vim plugins are made by people how suck ass at vim. Hence why these are such a buggy mess. Anytime you realize your vimrc wouldn't fit on business card anymore just stop and go reread the manual, because you're doing it wrong mate.

The only downside to spacemacs is the 3 sec to open it but it's really /comfy/.
You can basically search every commands with double space and you can nearly do everything with this single command.

>not just daemonizing it

Why not just use evil mode?

Why not just use emacs?

>I thought that Spacemacs was just another emacs preset package.

but it is, what you described is which-key: github.com/justbur/emacs-which-key

dont get me wrong i like spacemacs but im not a vim guy. so a friend recommended me to start with a vanilla emacs to learn more about emacs. i discovered that i only needed few plugins to get the core functionality of spacemacs that i wanted.

there is a lisp layer that uses slime with sbcl

I enjoy using spacemacs for editing, but there are some problems I have like c++ header files not being recognized with company and latex having trouble with compiling these could be only my distro(slackware) or something with the texlive installation

>RSI
No thanks

Not really, no. If your .vimrc is longer than a couple hundred lines you should look into splitting it into multiple files, and plugins are easy to manage with Pathogen.