In australia we have net neutrality laws yet companies like netflix, ABC...

In australia we have net neutrality laws yet companies like netflix, ABC, Xbox live and foxtel have deals with ISP's so that those services don't count towards your data limit

How is this a bad thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com.au/2015/03/here-are-all-the-aussie-isps-that-will-stream-netflix-quota-free/
blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/02/media-botching-coverage-netflix-comcast-deal-getting-basics-wrong.html
migri.fi/asylum_in_finland/quota_refugees
qz.com/256586/the-inside-story-of-how-netflix-came-to-pay-comcast-for-internet-traffic/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/verizon-wireless-apparently-throttles-streaming-video-to-10mbps/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>having a data limit

kek

KEK

>muh nopoly

The monopoly in australia is because the government owned the telecommunications network and providers paid to use it, then the government sold off the network to investors under the proviso that nobody else could build their own.

It fucking sucks.

Then when the NBN got sold off, the same ISP bought it.

Biggest scam ever.

>data limit

Your ISPs don't also own entertainment companies which compete with the likes of netflix.

the whole net neutrality thing is a big hullabaloo and kerfuffle, much ado about nothing

Actually they do.

Optus, foxtel and telstra all have streaming/pay tv services.

Does their own content count towards the cap?

Wat

optus and telstra, yes. idk about foxtel

So are they all ISPs and Content producers?

Neutrality means that Foxtel as an ISP can't slow down Netflix and favor it's own stuff on it's own channel instead.

>deals with ISP's so that those services don't count towards your data limit

Shure they do.

>How is this a bad thing?
It's a bad thing because it makes it very difficult for me to make my own video platform to make a better netflix. If customers need to pay for anonflix's data usage but not for netflix's data usage, how can I possibly compete?

gizmodo.com.au/2015/03/here-are-all-the-aussie-isps-that-will-stream-netflix-quota-free/

Because you have a data limit

australian internet is slow as shit anyway, you'll never reach your data cap

lol

I used to be on 1.5mbps with a 500gb limit and i would go over every month.

Im on 25mbps unlimited now.

Interesting.
Do you have any idea if these American corps have paid for access?

Your company makes a deal with the ISPs so that data from your streaming service doesn't count either.

australians get triggered when they see an image more than 200KB

>data limit
That should be illegal.

netflix doesn't count toward caps in my shithole since it comes included in a bunch of ISP plans (it's not really a cap, since they just threaten to slow you down if you go over a few hundred gbs, they don't actually cut your connection and i've gone over a few tbs and they still haven't slowed me down either, it's just to scare the normies)

>data limit
God you guys are cucked

But how can he compete if he's just starting out ? So therefore he needs to risk more debt ? That's like if 2 pizza places were near each other on a road but one pizza place makes it harder for people to access the other pizza place by blocking off most of the road so all the traffic goes to his instead.

USA has data limits too

That is completely infeasible for small beginning companies. Which means that this system greatly punishes small companies and further solidifies the dominance of large established ones. They do NOT need the help.

>data limit

literally what?

The problem is it increases the cost of market entry and gives your competitor something they can leverage against you.
>Netflix pays 5 million to enter a 100 million market
>You try to enter and bust your ass to raise 5 million for your entry fee, which lenders are willing to do on the speculation that you might gain 5% of the market.
>Netflix says they'll pay 30 million
>Price is now raised, and nobody will give you the money on the unlikely possibility you can snatch 30% from an entrenched monopoly.

It's not as bad as if Netflix owns the ISPs (which we see do see with media giants) since they have to be willing to pay to shut you out instead of simply having the power to do it on their own, but they can still shut you out.

The cheapest plans generally have data limits. Internet is expensive here so people are always willing to take the discount

>beaten dog justifies being beaten

Google has entered the ISP market with google fibre and netflix will probably try soon if ISP's try to get more money out of them.

What the fuck is a data limit? They measure the amount of internet you can use? Not even in Mexico we have those, except for some smarthphones plans

I pay 10 euros a month for 100/10mb, no limits
I guess we have it pretty good in Finland

For cheaper plans, you get say 250gb of full speed internet, but if you go over it you will be throttled.

Its ok for people who dont use much internet.

10 euros a month is literally half your income after taxes to support Achmed and Muhammed.

Google has the whole "don't be evil" thing and Netflix has been for Net Neutrality from the outset, so it's not surprising. But why should corps have to go through the hassle of going around others being evil when it's rather simple to just outlaw evil?

yeah user, hand over total power to a monopoly on the off chance they will be kind after their abusive demands are satisfied

what can go wrong?

there is literally like three niggers in my city
I dont know what you are talking about

So? Who gives a fuck. There's wifi everywhe re now. You don't need that much data in the first place.

You have shit tier internet and completely fucked by your ISPs every month.

There should never even be data limits.

Google has had a lot of problems dealing with other ISPs trying to stop them

Google is literally a front for CIA/NSA and netflix only has an interest in NN because it allows them to use 70% of the bandwidth while paying very little.

Tech in Australia is a fucking disaster in all respects.
>We have net neutrality laws.
>Netflix ABC xbox live have deals with isps

You don't have net neutrality.

Keep being delusional.

Most ISPs have data limits. You just never go over it unless you're downloading a shit ton of stuff.

THEY ALREADY PAY FOR THEIR BANDWIDTH, and Comcast's bandwidth for it's services aparently isn't the same even though it is.

Wish they weren't fucking pussies and didn't pay that protection money to comcast, should have sued the shit out of them to set precedent that companies cannot be throttled.

How cheap are we talking about? The cheapest plan here is around 20 dollars and 10/2mb, with no limit of use

That's not what happened though. Stop reading fake news.
blog.streamingmedia.com/2014/02/media-botching-coverage-netflix-comcast-deal-getting-basics-wrong.html

which end is the good end

They pay the same as everyone else but use up 70% and cause congestion.

I live on social benefits. ~900€ a month straigh from the guberment

Comcast actively throttled netflix users and magically fixed it once the protection money was paid. Using a VPN could get around the issue. Why should comcast's services working fine when both are streaming?

The bandwidth for the internet is effectively limitless. As these companies make record profits but don't put much of it towards fixing or building their infrastructure.

a what?

Did you even read the fucking article? Netflix was cheaping out on it's uplink connection, and tried to force Comcast to peer with them for free.

You're thinking of Sweden.
No Achmeds or Muhammeds wants to live in Finland because it's cold, they don't get free everything, and they are expected to learn the language.

In Sweden they get free apartments, free clothing allowance, free food allowance, free public transport allowance, free tobacco allowance and even actual cash allowance for anything else.
Also they're not expected to learn the language, everything public access and government related is already translated to various types of arabic and african. Every government agency is required to have at least a few people speaking various african and arabic languages. There's even a law stating that everything related to public information MUST have a translation to at least the most common forms of arabic and african.
They can even do crimes without worry because the crimes are either excused away because "Cultural clash" (such as rape) or they are put in prison minimum time and then let out and allowed to stay because it's literally illegal to deport immigrants on the basis that they have committed a crime.

You know they're not billed at a flat rate, right? Using 70% of the bandwidth means they pay 70% of the costs. If the ISPs can't upgrade their infrastructure when they're being paid for full utilization they need to raise their rates and upgrade to give the people what they want, not sit there throttling others in favor of their own content.

migri.fi/asylum_in_finland/quota_refugees

"Despite purchasing transit on all available routes into Comcast’s network that did not require direct or indirect payment of an access fee to Comcast, the viewing quality of Netflix’s service reached near-VHS quality levels. Faced with such severe degradation of its streaming video service, Netflix began to negotiate for paid access to connect with Comcast. Netflix and Comcast eventually reached a paid agreement. Within a week of that agreement, viewing quality for Netflix streaming video on Comcast’s network shot back up to HD-quality levels. The following graph, comparing viewing quality on Comcast’s network with that of Cablevision (an Open Connect partner) demonstrates the rapid, massive improvement:"

qz.com/256586/the-inside-story-of-how-netflix-came-to-pay-comcast-for-internet-traffic/

>data limit
what is this 56k times?

Its not. Data limits are a bad thing and should be illegal but there's nothing wrong with companies making deals to mitigate the effects of data limits for their users.

Netflix should have to pay ISP's more since they are using most of the bandwidth.

I live in a large residential area and pay for a 10mbps connection.

When everyone in the area comes home from their jobs and turns on netflix my speed drops significantly because of congestion.

>Despite purchasing transit on all available routes into Comcast’s network
They didn't purchase enough transit you fucking retard, how dumb are you? Then they go around and turn it around blaming Comcast when they never had anything to do with Netflix and all the throttling was done on Netflix's ISP's end.

> Finland
> Government literally decides how many refugees are allowed in every year
> Lots of demands and requirements and no tons of free shit

> Sweden
> Government literally just says "Everyone is welcome no limits"
> No requirements or demands, you go there and say "allahu akbar" you get free everything and a sympathetic pat on the back

So like said. No refugees want to live in Finland because no free shit and most people hate them. They go to Sweden because free shit and no one is allowed to dislike them because that's racism and illegal.

They already pay for the bandwidth they were using, and it was not congesting Comcast's network as stated here, within a week the magic switch was flipped and the streaming quality greatly improved.

Companies like netflix pay for whatever percentage they use, why was no one else affected by the issue? Why was it fixed immediately after paying protection money?

"Netflix Agrees to Pay Comcast an Access Fee for Direct Interconnection.

Despite purchasing transit on all available routes into Comcast’s network that did not require direct or indirect payment of an access fee to Comcast, the viewing quality of Netflix’s service reached near-VHS quality levels. Faced with such severe degradation of its streaming video service, Netflix began to negotiate for paid access to connect with Comcast. Netflix and Comcast eventually reached a paid agreement. Within a week of that agreement, viewing quality for Netflix streaming video on Comcast’s network shot back up to HD-quality levels. The following graph, comparing viewing quality on Comcast’s network with that of Cablevision (an Open Connect partner) demonstrates the rapid, massive improvement:"

You aren't paying 50% of your income in taxes to support other hardworking citizens, that's for sure. Maybe you don't have as many refugees as Sweden, but you still are giving away half your money to leeches like , who are even worse than refugees.

> When everyone in the area comes home from their jobs and turns on netflix my speed drops significantly because of congestion.

That's not Netflix fault tho. That's the fault of your ISP for using infrastructure from the 1990s because they're too greedy.
They could spend 5% of their yearly revenue to upgrade your entire area to Fiber, thus removing congestion, but they actively choose not to because that means the CEOs can give themselves an extra $1M bonus at the end of the year.

we also dont have to pay for our education

I'll explain it this way

>pay for shit tier upload speed
>try to stream 4k video to people
>its slow as shit
>complain to ISP
>they offer a deal to pay for better upload speed
>pay for it
>quality magically gets better.

>Why was it fixed immediately after paying protection money?
It's not fucking "protection money" you fucking retard. If you pay for more bandwidth you get a better connection. Holy shit! They are paying money to Comcast for transit just like how they were paying money to Congent and Level 3 before, and definitely at a cheaper rate. Netflix won out in the deal.

I didn't either because I'm not a retard and got a scholarship.

The stream quality depended on the connection speed, it would drop to 480 or below if the speed wasn't great.

So Comcast upgraded their infrastructure in a week to handle all of the netflix streaming? They didn't purposefully throttle the speed for netflix streaming?

Verizon was doing the same shit, specifically throttling services that weren't their own.

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/verizon-wireless-apparently-throttles-streaming-video-to-10mbps/

> Maybe you don't have as many refugees as Sweden, but you still are giving away half your money to leeches like , who are even worse than refugees.

Yes, Finland also has free education, and free health care. And yes it supports citizens that for one reason or another cannot work.

But IMO I'd rather pay slightly more taxes and have all that, than live in a shithole country where I have to go into debt for half my life to get education, or die from cancer because I cannot afford the literal millions treatment would cost, or end up homeless because I have an accident and are bedridden for a couple of months.

So please cry more about Finland's "horrible" taxes that are used for the benefit of the population.
I'm sure you'll feel differently one day when you get cancer or have an accident and your doctor tells you "Sorry your insurance doesn't cover this".

They didn't upgrade their infrastructure you fucking idiot. They allowed Netflix to connect their CDN network closer to the end users instead of going through the congested "public" internet. Learn how network topology works.

I'm not dumb so my education was free. I'm not dumb so I take care of my body and don't get into health problems. I can put the money I save from paying taxes to an emergency fund to pay for any accident I would ever get into. I can see why someone like you would prefer a nanny state where the hard workers takes care of the lazy idiots though.

>Hey guys, we heard you say that you don't want us to burn the Library of Alexandria. But what if we passed a law that just lets us burn a little bit of the library? Like 75% of it we'll burn and the other 25% will be unburnt, would that be okay?

Dont do what australia does.

> I'm not dumb so my education was free.

You got lucky. Congratulations. Meanwhile the other 98% of your country still have to pay literal hundreds of thousands of dollars, resulting in a country that gets increasingly dumber every generation because they literally cannot afford higher education.

> I'm not dumb so I take care of my body and don't get into health problems.

I see. Good thing car accidents and such things don't happen where you live, because you wouldn't believe all the life threatening, long term, and possibly life long, issues you could get from someone ramming their car into yours at just the right angle and speed. :)

> I can put the money I save from paying taxes to an emergency fund to pay for any accident I would ever get into.

Man your job must be awesome paying you tens of thousands every month with zero taxes, because I've seen American hospital bills and those things are literal hundreds of thousands of dollars for just one treatment.

> I can see why someone like you would prefer a nanny state where the hard workers takes care of the lazy idiots though.

And I can-... Actually I cannot see why someone like you would prefer a capitalistic oligarch society where everyone is trapped in debt to large corporations running the government, and forced to take care of the rich like some kind of weird backwards communism. Mind explaining that to me?

Reddit is controlled by global bankers. Their main purpose is to confuse the masses, and manipulate popular opinion.

If it's stirring the front page on Reddit, it's because the bankers are stirring the shit and have their agents either testing the waters, or trying to influence whatever bullshit that's on their agenda of controlling the masses.

I just went with a 3rd party who does wireless solutions. I get 1tb, 80mbps for $80 a month. Fuck Telstra and those others.

We don't have NN. We don't need it either.

I thought malcolm turnbull pushed for a NN vote and it passed

Aussie internet is pure garbage. You shouldn't be using it as an example of a working system.

Just look at the NBN.

>12mbit

>data limit
kek

u wat

>data limit

How is this a good thing? Stockholm syndrome, much?

god damn you're dumb.

>says the yuropoor who literally needs the government to pay for his education in a shit tier university

Yes, those are terrible speeds. I had 100mbit back home in Canada. My mother up north in but-fuck nowhere gets better speeds than that.

whatever helps you sleep at night :^)

There's a reason why 90% of the top universities are in the U.S :^)

too bad you didn't quality for those universities :^)

Because they have large endowment funds from private (international and national) donors?

Whatever helps you sleep at night :^)

>tfw 100mbps unlimited on Telstra
Costs a lot more, but shit's generally pretty solid.

"Net neutrality has always been the status quo on the internet precisely because no monopolist has been able to shift the market equilbrium in a way that changes the situation. Making net neutrality dependent on the FCC, which can be readily co-opted by the targets of regulation, allows the market as a whole to be manipulated at once by an organization that actually *does* have a monpololy.

Referring to the ISPs as "monopolies" here is a misnomer. The FCC itself is a monopoly, and the ISPs are an oligopoly -- regulatory capture allows oligopolists to collude with each other in ways that wouldn't otherwise be effective, and therefore to assert joint monopoly power over the market. "

quoted from a leddit comment. This post is why all the support for Net Neutrality is BS.

Yeah I forgot the government takes away all the money of a eurocuck so they don't have any left over to donate.

The fatal flaw is that you're trusting ISPs.

>Berkeley
Meh. Try an Ivy if you really want to impress.

t. MIT

ISP's have more to lose if they fuck up.