TALOS II

Is anyone else getting one? I'm excited to see what a consumer POWER9 chip can do

Other urls found in this thread:

raptorcs.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

been planning to get this. how does it compare to an ordinary x86 machine?

Too expensive and deprecated on arrival.
For that much money I can get a full threadripper machine with a fucking 1080 ti.

The idea itself is awesome but it will be too expensive for the kind of performance it gives.

This is the fully open source board right? I want one but don't know who is selling.

It's a brand new arch. How can it be deprecated on arrival?

In any case, if your immediate thought is a gaming graphics card then you're probably not the target audience. I doubt many AAA games will run on it.

I don't think there are any publicly available numbers yet, but my understanding is that it has a huge number of effective threads (4 cores + hyperthreading) plus a massive cache. Take from that what you will.

raptorcs.com/

>In any case, if your immediate thought is a gaming graphics card then you're probably not the target audience. I doubt many AAA games will run on it.

You know the 1080Ti is pretty amazing for GPU computing right? You don't need to throw 5k shekelz on a quadro when a 1080 will render extremely fast on cycles.

I find kinda funny that most of you anons go full retard with muh gaymes when someone mentions a top of the line gpu.
Also Quadros and teslas are only faster than a 1080 in double precision arithmetic, for single precision the 1080ti literally beats them if you don't believe do the testing yourself.

Thanks.

Those fan mounts are THICC

Does global foundries manufacture those chips?

I would assume so, IBM Semi sold out to glofo ages ago

>$2,400
It sounds really fun, but I'd be crazy to shell out that much for something that's just for fun.

So....what is this for?

I will once they stop costing thousands of dollars. If I wanted to buy a premium meme machine I'd buy a Macbook.

It's an option that could potentially get us freetards away from 10 year old memepads and 5 year old AMD server boards.

Shit though, I'm almost changing my mind. 100% open-source firmware, POWER9, serial console booting, standard EATX motherboard, non-MILITARY-CLASS-motherboard. It sounds really, really nice.

If my business goes well enough next year, I'll definitely buy it.

>making a server cpu for desktop usage
I don't find it practical, also, what are you doing on these? 3d rendering?

>non-MILITARY-CLASS
what's wrong with Military Class motherboards?

The reason why this is important is because x86 is a dead end. We need to get away from (((Intel))) and (((AMD))), as they are confirmed to be botnet at this point. ARM is nice, but its GPUs (mainly Mali) are closed right now. ARM is also mainly something for low power laptops and SBCs and stuff. This is probably our best chance at having something legitimately new and modern for a high-power desktop/workstation/server/etc that is Libre.

AArch64 is arguably a nicer ISA than Power, though.

I mean, of course, motherboards that aren't actually military class.

>Basic Talos™ II Bundle (Single CPU) >$2,400.00
dropped

if this picks up enough steam, it could prompt MS to resurrect its old POWER port of windows
>libre hardware
>botnet only on software layer