Ubuntu > Anything else

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/ubuntu/ archive/primary/ files/freetype_2.8-0.2ubuntu2.diff.gz
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/enable-fractional-scaling-gnome-linux
gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671
twitter.com/AnonBabble

umm....not Windows 10 sweaty xx...but other linuxes(linuxi?)? definitely..ubuntu is the way to go

pee pee poo poo butts

I actually always wondered why Gnome 3 Shell font rendering is dog shit in basically all distros except Ubuntu...

Ubuntu is one of the only distros that prioritizes user experience over software freedom.

Most distros ship 100% FLOSS by default. Ubuntu ships with 100% FLOSS by default, and a checkbox on installation that lets you use superior, but proprietary, software for video codecs, font rendering, etc.

>Unity is the only Linux DE that supports fractional display scaling
>Freetards meme Ubuntu into adopting Gnome
>Now anyone with a HiDPI display can only use 1x or 2x scaling

Now I'm stuck on 17.04 until Gnome catches up to features Unity has had for several years already

I don't think ubuntu's publically available diff
launchpad.net/ubuntu/ archive/primary/ files/freetype_2.8-0.2ubuntu2.diff.gz
for freetype/fontconfig is so much brobrietary. Looks like something something patents/fair use thing only relevant for americucks.

Software can be source-available and still be proprietary. While most proprietary software is closed source (because that's the easiest way to protect control over it), the only real requirement for software to be proprietary is that it imposes restrictions on its use.

Patent/fair use restrictions are still restrictions, and thus the software is not free or open source, but proprietary and source-available.

>fractional display scaling

omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/enable-fractional-scaling-gnome-linux

17.10 sucks balls.

>but only in the Wayland session.

>subpixel antialiasing
>good

On Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
in what ways is Ubuntu 17.x better or worse?

What's wrong with Unity?

About to install my first distro but I've been thinking about it for months without being able to decide on which. I like macos and windows isn't bad but windows is incapable of having a nice development environment set up and I only have a 13 inch macbook: therefore linux solution. Which is the easiest to use, as well as being ricable a la the nice desktop threads you guys have around here?

xubuntu. I use debian but xubuntu is easy to get started with and xfce is very customizeable

>xubuntu
Can I do like a mac-style dock, and fancy window managers, and all that ricing shit on there? Looks pretty dated out of the box

As far as I know the only difference is that ubuntu enables the lcdfilter in freetyoe by default unlike other distros. Enable that.

>blaming Ubuntu instead of yourself for being so retarded that you can't enable subpixel rendering.

Git gud.
gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671

guide for fedorafag
>dnf install freetype-freeworld
>enable subpixel antialiasing on tweak tools
enjoy!

Type like a normal person, you piece of shit.

I'm on NixOS and I have the subpixel font shit.
Picture related, it's of a superior distro. And not just to Ubuntu.

ummm...i simple shan't sweaty xx

Fuck me I forgot the pic!

You can do all of that with stock Ubuntu. I think xfce is a bit more customizable, but Ubuntu is better out of the box than Xubuntu and the default interface is better.

>has to download extra software to make text render properly
>thinks people are brainlets for wanting a functioning os

mint>ubuntu>antyhing elsa

>Colours on black text
Absolutely disgusting

just like any not LTS version
stay on 16.04 until 18.04 is out

Nothing to do with gnome, Ubuntu is the only linux distro that supports proper font rendering, and that's the way it has been for the past 10+ years. The are several reason for that, you can mostly sum it up by people in charge of most distributions being retards.