Can Sup Forums explain to me why this "doomsday" image wouldn't just be nullified by another company eventually coming...

can Sup Forums explain to me why this "doomsday" image wouldn't just be nullified by another company eventually coming in and giving consumers what they want?

Other urls found in this thread:

qz.com/1131515/google-collects-android-users-locations-even-when-location-services-are-disabled/
cnet.com/news/telco-agrees-to-stop-blocking-voip-calls/
fortune.com/2009/04/03/group-asks-fcc-to-probe-iphone-skype-restrictions/
wired.com/2011/01/metropcs-net-neutrality-challenge/
businessinsider.com/verizon-blocking-google-wallet-2011-12
washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/fcc-fines-verizon-125m-for-blocking-tethering-apps/2012/07/31/gJQAXjRLNX_blog.html
freepress.net/press-release/99480/att-blocking-iphones-facetime-app-would-harm-consumers-and-break-net-neutrality
savetheinternet.com/blog/2013/09/18/verizons-plan-break-internet
pcworld.com/article/169079/ATT_Blocks_Sup
rt.com/usa/397163-verizon-admits-throttle-netflix/
politifact.com/search/?q=trump rape orphan
politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/oct/09/donald-trump/donald-trump-says-hillary-clinton-deleted-33000-em/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's just a stupid reddit meme. Sad Sup Forums fell for it.

Net neutrality is the government regulation of the internet. It is backed by Soros, Clinton, Shareblue, Progressives, etc.

They'll try to tell you that without it, ISPs could cut off conservatives, Sup Forums, etc. It's a lie.

If that was true, they'd be all for getting rid of it. The left would burn half the country to kill free speech.

They are TERRIFIED by this.

Good.

BECAUSE ONE COMPANY OWNS THE INFRASTRUCTURE THAT ACTUALLY TRANSPORTS THE ELECTRONS/PHOTONS TO YOUR ROUTER. ONE COMPANY OWNS ALL THE WIRES, SO IF THEY DON'T WANT TO RENT THEM OUT TO ANOTHER COMPANY, THEN THERE ISN'T ANY COMPETITION

THIS IS THE FUCKING ISSUE.

can Sup Forums explain to me why this "doomsday" image hasn't happened in the US already?

what is google fiber?

because that "another company" doesn't own 1 billion miles of networking infrastructure and its not cost effective for "another company" to start from ground zero in 1930 to build another networking system.

There is no competition in most of the US

>another company eventually coming in and giving consumers what they want
Because that isn't how free markets work. The encumbents have lobbyists, more laywers, established brands, less morals, more astroturfers, etc etc

you know the answers your going to get and are obviously not expecting a real answer because most ISPs have natural monopolies
The real question is why ISPs dont already just throttle everyone speeds already to a crawl while charging more to have suitable streaming speeds. After all if they have unbreakable monopolies like so many seem to believe they could get away with it. The answer is that because ISPs are not as powerful as people seem to believe (even without net neutrality) and it going away isnt going to suddenly balkanize your internet bill

Nothing is stopping someone building more wires or a wireless network.

GOOGLE FIBER IS JUST A SMALL PROJECT AMIDST THE THOUSANDS OF TOWNS/CITIES THAT PAY FOR WIRE TO BE LAID DOWN THEN ARE HELD AT LEGAL GUNPOINT BY THEIR ISP OVERLORDS

a failed project that was abandoned.
telecoms have attempted dozens of times, but were overruled by courts. they've blocked websites of competitors, blocked bittorrent protocols, you name it, they already tried.
we have a "net neutrality" like law in place that prevents it.

They already are getting rid of conservatives. Google and Amazon already filter all sorts of shit so you don't ever come close to what you're looking for unless you verbatim search an article title. It's a fucking sad state of affairs where politifact and Snopes can get away with saying Hillary "acid washed" her private email servers is mostly false and Donald Trump raped an entire orphanage of children is mostly true, but claiming that James comey himself stated "I should put you in jail for what you did" gets you filtered by zuckerjew and jewgle for fake news

Because regulatory capture. Because locale based monopolies/duopolies. Because ISPs operate as a cartel.

A failed product.

t. pajit

YES THERE IS, IT'S CALLED CITY COUNCIL. IF THEY WON'T ALLOW YOU TO LAY DOWN MORE WIRES DUE TO A CONTRACT OR BYLAWS OR SOME COMBINATION OF THE TWO, THEN YOU CAN'T DO SHIT

how is this an issue? can't another company put down a new line? do you not have community fibre or anything? if they have a monopoly, why doesn't the government make the lines a public utility that small isps can rent and manage the backhaul?

i thought america was all about freedom, no?

That doesnt sound like a free market.

And ISP that's from the same company that brought us google chrome™, and android™.

qz.com/1131515/google-collects-android-users-locations-even-when-location-services-are-disabled/

I hope you're right, because it looks like Net Neutrality is getting scrapped regardless of the outcome.

>2005 - Madison River Communications was blocking VOIP services. The FCC put a stop to it. cnet.com/news/telco-agrees-to-stop-blocking-voip-calls/

>2005 - Comcast was denying access to p2p services without notifying customers.

>2007-2009 - AT&T was having Skype and other VOIPs blocked because they didn't like there was competition for their cellphones. fortune.com/2009/04/03/group-asks-fcc-to-probe-iphone-skype-restrictions/

>2011 - MetroPCS tried to block all streaming except youtube. wired.com/2011/01/metropcs-net-neutrality-challenge/

>2011-2013, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon were blocking access to Google Wallet because it competed with their bullshit. businessinsider.com/verizon-blocking-google-wallet-2011-12

>2012, Verizon was demanding google block tethering apps on android because it let owners avoid their $20 tethering fee. This was despite guaranteeing they wouldn't do that as part of a winning bid on an airwaves auction. washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-tech/post/fcc-fines-verizon-125m-for-blocking-tethering-apps/2012/07/31/gJQAXjRLNX_blog.html

>2012, AT&T - tried to block access to FaceTime unless customers paid more money. freepress.net/press-release/99480/att-blocking-iphones-facetime-app-would-harm-consumers-and-break-net-neutrality

>2013, Verizon literally stated that the only thing stopping them from favoring some content providers over other providers were the net neutrality rules in place. savetheinternet.com/blog/2013/09/18/verizons-plan-break-internet

>pcworld.com/article/169079/ATT_Blocks_Sup Forums_Stirs_Internet_Hornets_Nest.html

>2017, Verizon caught throttling customer data in direct violation of FCC Net Neutrality rules - rt.com/usa/397163-verizon-admits-throttle-netflix/

Because the barriers to entry are astronomical. Let me guess, you and a couple friends are gonna save your pennies and put $800MM worth of infrastructure in the ground? I mean fuck, the big guys only did it because you already payed for it.

Why do you have to type in all caps. It hurts to read and makes you sound like you're fresh from reddit.

>Infowars
wut

Also those articles don't seem to be written by the same person...

>politifact.com/search/?q=trump rape orphan
>politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/oct/09/donald-trump/donald-trump-says-hillary-clinton-deleted-33000-em/

???

The US is the only developed country with these laws that sponsor monopolies for big telecom. Nowhere else where there are no Net Neutrality laws does this "throttling" effect consumers. You people are worried over nothing.

The reason speeds in US are slower but cost higher than in Japan or EU is because president Obama chose to regulate modern information services like telephones a century ago. The result is retarded competition that prevents new providers from establishing and takes away incentive for big telecoms to be responsive to customers.

Yet you are convinced that this "net neutrality" is a good thing. It is orwellian. It is a monopoly where the state chooses who wins and loses. Same like ACA.

Yeah sure, another company will just come in out of nowhere with billions of dollars and enough political connections to allow them to both afford to and have the permits to lay brand new cable giving everyone affordable, fast access to the internet. And when this hypothetical company just pops into existence, it definitely won't need to charge consumers a lot to recoup its initial billion dollar investment.

Idiot.

They're doing it through wireless.

Anyhow it's usually not worth investing in wired networks anymore. Good luck with the massive investment and then trying to compete with cable companies.

my isp is already shit as it is

and while i technically have a "choice" its either keep getting shafted by my shit cable company that atleast provides 70mbps, switch to dsl at 3mbps, or get satellite internet

>muh free market
anarchy is the only true free market, there will always be LAWS in civilized society. Otherwise theft, murder, rape would all be legal. But then they'd stop being legal because an authority would come to power with the support of people wanting to STOP things like that.

bleating MUH FREE MARKET is the absolute nigger tier of arguments. It's not clever, it doesn't add to the discussion or how the laws should be changed.

t. someone who leans towards free markets, and is tired of seeing this non-argument.

>Half true
No, it's full true. Trump's statement is fully true and they are calling it half true to deny any sort of implication. Words mean things.
>Sure what Trump said is entirely true, but the implication I'm making up right now is entirely false so it's only half true.
Hillary deserves to be in jail and bill Clinton right along side her

Proof that competition is impossible. If a billion dollar company and one of the most valuable companies on Earth couldn't make it work, then what hope is there that some random startup will?
Google even has incredible incentive to make it work. They're an ad company. Imagine if they succeeded, they would have priced all competitors out of the market since they were offering 100x speed for the same price, and they'd have a direct line into everyone's home which would make their targeted advertising 1000x more powerful. A company with the most money and the most incentive failed and you think competition is possible? Are you retarded?

>deny any sort of implication
>implication I'm making up right now

which is it? was trump implying that Clinton deleted the emails as a result of the subpoena or was he just making a statement and expecting it to be taken totally at face value?

Yes, there is. The only reason comcast got to do it is because the government funded them decades ago. It's essentially a governemnt enforced monopoly. Both the free market or government regulation could fix it, but the lobbyists don't want that.

You know cell towers still connect to the ground, right. This board is being shipped/larped so hard today. Getting all you burgers to literally beg to be fucked.

Do the gas stations in your town compete each other or do they just sort of seem to hover around the same price as each other every day?

>the old AT&T is now the new AT&T
>the old AT&T made Unix
wtf I hate net neutrality now

really closes my source

absolutelyproprietary.png

Why do I keep seeing this comment on every net neutrality page?

>"Hi Sergei! Enjoy that .2 of a ruble."
>hides own flag

>doesn't provide urls, originals or otherwise
It's days like these I wonder who I am quoting.