/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=Gb4_xxfoUZE

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.ebay.com/itm/Japan-1989-SEIKO-Quartz-watch-MAJESTA-5S42-5A00-Sweep-Second-Hand-/362159802325
poljot24.de/en/seagull.html
poljot24.de/en/poljot-international/polar-bear-24-hour-watch-blue.html
page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l417682264
page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x508107493
chronometrie.com/watchsounds/watchsoundspage.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Best place to buy a Seagull 1963 without getting rekt by EU customs? Good-stuffs?

I would buy from Longisland

Sorry forgot to mention, not a burger and would get rekt by customs (Eu here) I think Good-stuffs does dropshipping to avoid customs, just heard about the clap hands dead watch meme and chink retailers

What do you guys think of my B-1?

>design and movement of the Omega SM 300 MC
>fit & finish of a Grand Seiko
>bezel action and scratch resistance of a Damasko
>value retention of a Rolex

IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK

Yes. Start learning how to make watches yourself and become the next dufour if you really want to make it perfect.

It's never gonna have value retention of a Rolex without Rolex logo on it.

Not to mention if it's a muh faux-vintage with a garbage cuck-axial movement.

Poljot24?

Sorry, newbie here.
What's great about rolex (compared to other watches of the same price) besides having a fancy recognizable logo?

The tl;dr version is that rolex actually gives a shit about making good movements, and continually improving them. Of course then they do shit like make gaudy dogshit like this. It's not like there's any company that only makes fantastic watches.

Basically what he said.
The thing about value retention is that Rolex is establish as THE swiss luxury watch so people who can afford one flock to them not only because of its quality, movement etc. but because it's a status symbol at this point. It's basically rich normalfag watch. Only they're actually really good watches at that.

So I got a light scratch on one of my watches that uses acrylic/mineral crystal

What can I do to fix it? I heard watch shops can use poly watch?

Lost the bid on this one and don't feel like paying more, maybe one of you can have a go at it.
m.ebay.com/itm/Japan-1989-SEIKO-Quartz-watch-MAJESTA-5S42-5A00-Sweep-Second-Hand-/362159802325

toothpaste and the white side of a banana peel are apparently good for acrylic, but don't fix a mineral crystal

What are your favorite reasonably priced leather straps? Is Hirsh a lot better than rios? Also will a leather nato work for a dress watch? Or is a two piece a must?

Nah, Saitama is probably the most popular Ebay JDM watch seller, so every Seiko autist flocks there and generate massive bidding wars.

Will there be any discounts on the more entry level shitter swiss wathches (about 1k eur) around the black friday and christmas?

probably
on youtube I saw a video titled "Black Friday 2017 deals" or something like that by Long Island Watches

Get it from watchunique its the cheapest. They're from netherlands.

You said two different kinds, is it acrylic or mineral? It'd not both.

Go to their website the deals are all on shit watches they can't sell.

that's what most black friday deals are 2bh

The only good black friday deals to ever exist, that i've seen, were cheap Sennheisers two years ago on amazon and a $200 PS4 if you're a manchild coming up.

Watchwise the best you can hope for is a 5-10% off coupon somewhere

Damn it actually is, Thanks

the only thing I've ever bought during Black Friday was a Squire Strat starter kit that included the guitar and a little 10w amp from Guitar Center reduced from $150 to $95 iirc
I still have the guitar but haven't even touched a guitar in years
still a good buy in my book

No problem. I bought mine from there into Canada and there were no customs. I broke my 1963 by fiddling with the pushers all the time and I contacted them and just got a new one when I shipped mine back. Pretty good customer service from Hans

Was watching that. That's still a pretty good price for a haq quartz with sweep second. Would probably bid if I hadn't already gone a bit over budget for the year.

Thoughts on Stowa Back to Bauhaus (2824 TOP version) VS A Junghans Bauaus watch?

Does anyone here a Seagull 1963?

Junghans Max Bill line is much nicer aesthetically, in my opinion.

Are you obsessed with them lad?

N E W P L A I D
E
W
P
L
A
I
D

poljot24.de/en/seagull.html

Any experience with this shop in general?

nah, just wondering

>This guy slaps your girlfriends ass
>He asks for all the plaid

what to do bros?

expensive
poljot24.de/en/poljot-international/polar-bear-24-hour-watch-blue.html

Fucking dog shite m8, get a proper digital and not this "i only could afford some lcd segments" garbage.

38mm

damn some of these are pretty nice. Only time i went on this site was when i was thinking of buying a poljot alarm.

I already have all the plaid, honestly.

Ooh that is nice.

Tbh I originally went on his site because I wanted an OKEAH without any fuss or frankens I just wanted the famous watch but then I realized it was a fucking expensive special edition one and so fuck me desu. He seems like a good guy, offers 2 years of warranty or so and imports nearly all of the watches by himself.

This no date quick set thing sure is a pain

Yes I do.

is it worth the money
I'm not going to get one any time soon, just want to know people's opinions

yeah but that watch tho

anyone know where i can source a new 2209 mainspring?

cousinsuk should have the right ones.

Toothpaste is great for acrylic. Not tried it on one of my mineral watches yet since mineral pretty much doesn't scratch

Oh, here's another one that I ended up not going for, but mostly because I just won some other auction and it got hard for me to justify getting another damn seiko.
page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l417682264

It's worth it for that mechanism man. How's it running now? Is it still not handwinding?

>page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/l417682264

I do not remotely understand how you would consider that watch attractive. Are you ninefag?

10 % on a 1k watch is not bad desu, if he is eyeing a sinn 556 that will be enough to get the sexy bracelet

At least that one has a decent sized crown, Omega decided since it's automatic you won't ever need to touch the crown anyway so it's fucking tiny and impossible to use. I usually just don't bother setting the date.

Mallnigger user here, the past week was fucking hell, I worked my ass off. I guess I should post some pics now.

Here's our new brand we carry, muh Danish design, muh zen philosophy. Fucking yawn. But at least the build quality is a bit better that generic chinkshit.

YOU LOST AN INDEX! but fuck em that watch is just too nice

Ideal straps for Seagulls?

Here's a customers Kirovskie, made by 1MChZ. I serviced it and replaced the crystal. Also the seconds hand was rusted as fuck and it broke in half, so I took another identical one that was also broken (cracked tube) and soldered the two together to make one good one.

Vintage Omega watches give me an erection. Is this normal?

Gave this Roamer a crystal replacement, but that's nothing interesting.

Can confirm Sinn bracelets are great.

The pictures show an almost pristine watch and a movement better than the average Seiko in the low hundreds, I'm sure someone will appreciate it.

I definitely like this one more, though.
page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x508107493

What's interesting is the movement. An ETA 2824 with some chronograph module (didn't take off the dial, so I don't know). All in all despite the added complexity this feels like a superior alternative to the V7750.

that is pretty dope user. You have any movement shots?

It's certainly not running like it was running in 1967 but it is running. I left it on the winder and will check back in it on Monday (I'm travelling until then) when it is hopefully at full wind. This was after half an hour on the winder.

what chronograph module is on that? did you manage to get a glimpse of it?

>with some chronograph module (didn't take off the dial, so I don't know)
>so I don't know

are you even implying i can read?

is that positional? the amplitude is shit but that can easily be regulated, right?

Here you go. Now I remember that I also had to replace the balance assembly. Since I could only find a shock-protected one now the watch is technically 17 jewels and protected from dropping on its caseback.

hows the retail business for entry level watches?

>that fucking laser line
Impressive, especially for the condition.

Here's the same amount of wound in another position. I'm not putting too much weight on the results as it had basically just been wound enough to start ticking. I think I'll probably have a better idea after five solid days of winding. Almost surely in any case it needs a cleaning and a regulation (and a fix for whatever is going on with the handwinding!).

Fuck if I know. I don't care about the business, I'm only interested in the watches.

Also here's my next job. Servicing this and another Poljot chrono. This looks like it's one of the last Russian ones.

Can you make some videos on how to service watches

Where was that user who wanted to know how to pronounce things? Found something for you.

chronometrie.com/watchsounds/watchsoundspage.htm

lol look at that grip he's got on her

Thoughts on date window? I'm thinking date window is a stupid thing unless it's perpetual calendar. I'm looking into watches with no date window for this reason.

I don't like them at all and see no reason for them on any watch.

sadly most watches seem to have them

tfw when I've preordered two watches in the last month and a half and but am considering another already for more instant gratification

I regularly wear a watch with the day and the date because I easily forget both, and it's easier to glance at my wrist than shuffle my phone out of my pocket. You really only need to attend to it once a month, if that, provided you keep the watch running.

Date is far and above one of the most useful complications on a watch, I won't buy one without it. Day on the other hand is practically useless.

>You really only need to attend to it once a month
Yeah, but then you also have to remember for the rest of the month whether you attended to it or not at the shift of month.

I haven't really ever had a problem doing so. I only forget what the day is, I don't forget to check it.

>someone actually bought something like this over a poljot

>having a fancy recognizable logo?
This, but they also make their watches really well. Like them or not, you can't deny the quality of their products.
And they don't whore themselves out with endless "special" editions, which is sadly something to be celebrated nowadays. They have Tudor for that of course.

>Also will a leather nato work for a dress watch?
They don't work on anything, let alone a dress watch.

Some anons reccomended my a ChrWard as a 38mm diver last night. I think tonight I am going to put together a list of smaller divers. Are ChrWards actually built with quality?

Ayy look what came in

I don't like that own very much either, looks wise. Credor has made a lot of extremely ugly watches.

Muh Cosmotron, freshly serviced. Though the strap is temporary.

Qt little lunch box

What a blurry-ass photo, holy shit.

Also look at this case shape.

Don't really understand this keychain lanyard thing but cool I guess

THICC

Here it is next to my other bigg watches

Lug to lug is big but it only overhangs a little bit.
Overall very comfy, especially when I remember how much I paid for it

What's wrong with it? I wanted to use it as a gift.