Anyone awake for a nostalgia thread?

Anyone awake for a nostalgia thread?

I have too many feels tonight Sup Forumsentoomen.

bump..

ansii art games thread?

sounds good to me man. anything honestly. I am going to dedicate a raspberry pi to a crt that runs windoze98se specifically for nostalgia value... I'm hurting. Technology doesn't mean what it once did anymore.

i can't imagine win98 in a vm on a rpi being fast enough for any win98-era games

Really? You don't think? I could always pick up a old c2d system off of CL with decent parts and use that. probably like $100

but then i'd feel like that'd be overkill.

keep in mind the rpi is arm-based, not x86, so you're stuck with slow as shit translation
plus 98 isn't smp-aware, so you can only make use of one cpu core of the rpi
plus 9x is terrible to run in vm's in general
you'd be better to just find an old machine that can natively run 98, like a p4 box, surely can't be that hard to find

>nethack
Why is this nostalgia? It's still in active development and I play it on a regular basis

Doom still gets new mods yet it's still recognized as an old game

I figured there would be a translation cost but I didn't expect it to be that high. I've heard of rpis doing 4k so I thought if the total processing power was that high it'd be able to take on 98..... but you definitely gave me some clarifications. I am a bit drunk and sad atm. Specifically because of just the fucking weird world.

The p4 Dell Dimensions.... they are AGP right? Is there that socket board with PCI-e? cant remember. My first build was a e8400... lga775 i think. Would a c2d run 98 native?

the rpi's can push high resolutions and decode video because they have a fast gpu, and a dedicated video decoder
it doesn't do video on the cpu, it's too slow for that
>The p4 Dell Dimensions.... they are AGP right?
more than likely, pci-e was introduced in 2004
support for 98 dropped off around 2006 or so, most stuff before then will have 98 drivers
core2 came out in 2006, so while i wouldn't be surprised at least some of that stuff can run 98 properly, i couldn't guarantee it will all work

rrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeee

post anything nostalgia pls

so i'm shooting for a p4 with whatever decent GPU can push 98 games. simple enough.

feel free to give me any classic game recommendations

you can't imagine the feels i still have for this game

agp is an easy choice, as most if not all agp gpus will have 98 support
and it's not like any game made for 98 will need anything faster than a high end agp card anyway

ADOM has gotten me through many boring lectures in my life.

p4 or the old athlon xp chips

agp graphics might be a safer choice for win9x support but pcie was a thing at the end of the p4 era

probably find heaps of old stuff on ebay that'd be suitable

I always found quake 3 to be the better game, but I really like the announcer

I love dwarf fortress

too bad nu-ADOM sucks

monster truck madness or quake? both we're my childhood. Stellar Frontier however is when I became full autismo and caffeined out on writing my own scripts to shekel the other players.

quake 3 was better balanced but I had more fun in UT

I played the fuck out of both in my late teenage years but I don't have the same nostalgia feels for Q3 because I can fire it up and play it anytime without a ton of fucking about

Unreal engine had a big design flaw where they used CPU speed as a timebase for animation and movement (at least, maybe other shit too) and once variable speeds became the norm you had to disable it and lock shit to a single core or everything got fucked up

I wish they'd release the full engine source so it could be fixed and we could have sweet modernised versions of the games based on that engine (unreal, UT, deus fucking ex, etc)

Q3 stayed alive a lot longer because it just fucking works and you can compile it on almost anything these days