How hard is it for a native english speaker to learn russian?

how hard is it for a native english speaker to learn russian?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_grammar
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Troy, my friend, is that you?

no, i havent been in the /balt/ + /ausnz/ for a long time. im just curious how hard the slavic languages are for english speakers. the cyrillic script throws me off a lot

The grammar is very hard, not much else to say besides that

i dunno but likely it should be rather hard since russian has noun cases, noun (and adjective) genders and significantly more complexed verb declensions than english. it has a much simpler system of tenses and no articles though. also its alphabet is literally the easiest part

im learning norwegian at the moment so the genders for nouns and adjectives im used to thus far. can you explain noun cases and the verb declensions? yeah i figure the alphabet is just learning it through repetition, as is the case with pretty much anything.

im going to have to decide on a language next semester and russian piqued my interest

Difficult. But not impossible.

>Difficult. But not impossible.
>opinion of native English speaker detected

really it would be too long to explain, it's better to check the wiki, it has all that in details en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_grammar

I'm not a native speaker of English or Russian. Learning Russian was fucking difficult to me, much more than learning English. If learning Russian is difficult to me, a native speaker of Polish, then it must be difficult for an Anglo.

Are you a Pole staying in Ukraine?

reverse refugee i suppose

A Pole travelling through Ukraine, that's right.

Unless you're bent on it being Russian, there are slavic languages with less fucky grammar.

What's the point of learning language like Bulgarian?

verb conjugations*
and no, Russian verb conjugations are not significantly more complex than English ones. Conjugating verbs is actually one of the easier aspects of Russian since Russian only has 3 tenses (past/present/future). Russian verbs are only difficult for foreigners because of the abstract vs concrete verb distinction (хoдить vs идти).

Russian is difficult because of cases as you mentioned, perfect vs imperfect distinction for verbs, abstract vs concrete distinction for verbs, different syntax than English and because of reduced vowels and other quirks that make the pronunciation a bit confusing.

You're not talking about no-case Bulgarian, right?

>noun cases
They perform the same function as prepositions but in a more irrational way.

>verb declensions
The verb changes depending on the subject of a sentence. English has remnants of it too:
>(ja) znaj[u] - (I) know
>(ty) znaj[esh] - (you) know
>(on/ona/ono) znaj[et] - (he/she/it) know[s]

russian is the only substantial slavic language to learn though. they offer it at my university

russian verbs conjugate (or w/e the proper term is) by the gender of noun and depending if it is singular or not as well as what person it is. i.e. the phrase "i walked" would have different verbs depending if "i" here is a girl or a boy, and the phrase "they walked" would have a different verb too. alse the verbs change by much more obscure rules than in english too

The only thing that should matter to you when choosing a language to learn is whether it interests you.