Hello Americans

Hello Americans,

I wonder what you people think about Mormons.
For us Europeans it's a strange religion.
They seem to be not very different from Scientology and I cannot say they are Christian at all.

What's your point of view? Are there any conflicts with Mormons in the U.S.?
Any Mormons here on Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukeri
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt
goo.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Mormonism
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_Mormonism
law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mountainmeadows/leeaccount.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're not considered Christians by most due to being non-Trinitarian. They're mostly just seen as weird, though very educated and friendly.

Overly gregarious, slightly creepy Christians.

Mormons are doing proselytism in Paris' rich suburbs. They're growing in the Yvelines.
Mormons is a church for rich people. They just have to wear white underwear.

>I'm going to put it in your Mormon hole!
Judi Arias' ex-bf, Mormon motivational speaker, months before she killed him

-seem to be nice people
-typically civil and educated
-have weird secretive rituals

They're just one more American cult (like Jehova's witness) trying to make converts here, they generally prey on the weak minded. The old school LDS generally keep to their walled compounds in cities and are polite but not friendly as a rule. They always have pools in their homes which they absolutely never use, I know cuz I had some as neighbours.

Aren't you afraid they will create a state within a state? During your last elections they almost managed to bring up a president, who would have become the world's most influential person.
They could also manage to bring the Olympics to Salt Lake City in 2002.

I guess Paris is their base in Europe. Paris has since centuries been the Big Apple of Europe and owning it is of big symbolic strength.

Hasn't Mitt Romney spent some time in Mexico? Why are they trying to convert Mexican Catholics to the Mormon faith?

They're beliefs are pretty retarded, but orders of magnitude less retarded than Scientology. They're also genuine in their beliefs, silly as they may be, and the church isn't a scam, unlike Scientology. So they're very, very different.

>Why are they trying to convert Mexican Catholics to the Mormon faith?
They have to know that Jesus once went to New York State and blessed America.
(the book of mormon says this)

>pools in their homes which they absolutely never use
I can empathize with this.

Are you a Mormon? Or do you know some?

Is it a legitimate question to ask: WHY? HOW?

Some time ago I saw a documentary on arte about Scientology in France, which was really scary. Do you think France could be somehow the fertile soil for those kinds of regions?

>for those kinds of regions
in Europe

well the writer of the Book of Mormon says he found a stone, buried in NY State.
Among other things, it was written that Jesus went there and blessed America
I read about 20 pages of wikipedia about 2 years ago, it's interesting, it seems the process is always the same for building a religion
You should *not* take the responsibility, but act like a prophet who had a vision.

I don't think so, our laws are very harsh against them. I think they're on the list of "sects" (not cults) which is a very bad word here ("les sectes")

Kek, I've seen Mormon missionaries walking around in my town. They're all so weird and polite and they dress in white. From what I've read about them they're pretty crazy, but pretty tame compared to other USA meme religions.

I'm a new york jew and only ever met one mormon so they kind of have the same exotic value for me as they might for you.
it seems like their values are very much reflected in american (or at least far western) development, they hold the nuclear family unit and the free market in pretty high esteem. learning about their history makes me feel like I can better understand why places like phoenix and vegas exist.

They have giant network of bunkers under SLC that they will hide in during the apocalypse and then repopulate the earth

They're basically a cult and are all brainwashed subhumans.

Pretty much what you said. They're pretty irrelevant outside of Utah though.

No they have large presence in Idaho and most of Nevada outside of Vegas and rural parts of California

I don't like Mormons or their religion. I would have them expelled to Mexico if I could.

So like I said, they're irrelevant.

They are honestly some of the nicest people I've met.
The South Park episode over them seems to capture it perfectly. While Scientology is a blantant scam that destroys people's lives, Mormonism is just a really fucking weird religion that tends to generate really nice people.

Isn't Utah some quasi-theocracy that somehow became a state?

They tried that and failed 150 years ago. Their whole thing the past 100 years has been disowning their more radical elements to fit within the American mainstream.

Yes. They've ruined the state although its been slowly changing these past decades.

>les sectes
I am glad to hear we both use the same wort ("Sekte")
I am trying to translate a joke.
Why are Mormons not Christian?
----
Because they are insects.

Are your friends Mormon? If so, why did they choose this path?

>I'm a new york jew
Come back home, Judenfreund

So do you think the Mormons are a very "American" religion? A religion that is glorification (praising? I don't know which word to use) the American values?

But it seems that this closed, somehow gated community has a large influence on the American politics, e.g. Mitt Romney

Do you know about Bulgarian Mormons? Are they spreading in Bulgaria? Why do they go to Bulgaria at all? What do the Kukeri say to all this?

>Because they are insects.
haha...

This

Every exmormon I've talked to tells me it's a cult and it's kinda creepy trying to talk to someone who has been so brainwashed into believing something so fake while they smile all nice and try to convert you.

>But it seems that this closed, somehow gated community has a large influence on the American politics, e.g. Mitt Romney
Not really.

>Kukeri_razlog.jpg
was??

No, I'm not a Mormon, and I've never been close to any. But I've had plenty of friendly acquaintances who were, and they were always decent people. Also, I've googled the religion a bit, but I guess that doesn't make me an expert. Still, it seems to me that it isn't a complete scam like Scientology, and the church seems to do good work.

Come to think of it, I knew one woman who grew up in the church but became an atheist. Once she got a chain mail e-mail from a sister about a church function, and she forwarded it to a friend of hers with a snarky joke about polygamous marriage. Except she accidentally hit reply, and so her sister saw the joke an sent an e-mail politely informing her that polygamous marriage is no longer recognized by the church, but haha, good one. . . . So they seem pretty harmless.

Though I've seen the Mormon missionaries several times in my town, I've never actually met any Bulgarian Mormons ever. They must be converting someone or else why would missionaries even come here. My theory is that they probably convert local gypsies due to how easily they convert to the highest bidder for free food and money. That's how Protestantism became a thing here.

it still is, almost all elected officials are mormons or support he church

I didn't know "cult" was your word for "sectes"
Here the word "culte" is not negative/pejorative

>somehow gated community has a large influence on the American politics, e.g. Mitt Romney
They don't really have much an influnce outside Utah. Mitt Romeny was really watered down and moderate about his Mormonism, and didn't make it a big deal, which is something that makes Mormons different from most evangelicals.

They'll happily tell you about their beliefs, but only if you want to know more. However, they're still really secretive about the Church itself, and are probably the most likely people to survive should a nuke cause the Apocalypse.

Mormons are a terrible religion that has infected all of Utah by pretty much controlling all levels of government since the states inception. Mormon's themselves are generally nice people but have such a wrapped view of reality it is hard to take them seriously.

>razlog
wonderful Bulgarian folk tale and a great tradition

Here you go, mate.

if you work in Utah there is a Mormon tax, 10% of your paycheck goes to the church if you are mormon or not

This. Mormons know they can't afford to make their own theocratic state give the current circumstances. They've condemned polygamy and practices that used to be core tennants of their religion so as to appear more "Christian" to mainstream America.

Overall they're non threatening nowadays, no more a problem than most Evangelical Christians

>pretty much controlling all levels of government
Just like Scientology

Cult is almost always negative in american english.

Calling someone's religion a cult is usually meant to insult them or their religion. A lot of cults try to call themselves official religions or followings or not actually a religion so they don't come off as one.

You don't have to follow a higher power generally for it to be considered a cult or religion.

Do you accept them as Christians? Or generally, do American Christians accept them as one of theirs?

>Do you accept them as Christians?
No objectively they're not.

>Or generally, do American Christians accept them as one of theirs?
75% don't consider them Christian, 15% are unsure if they're Christian. The rest include Mormons and other Unitarian Protestants, or simply people who don't care about what being a Christian actually means.

www.templedeparis.fr

Nice. Their costumes remind me a bit of Where Wild Things Are, the children's book and film. (pic)

I admire the tolerance for all creeds in the USA, here it's still quite absolutist (roman catholic church, then the Jacobin Terror).

The big difference between Scientology though is that Scientology uses intimidation tactics to keep people in line, Mormons use more traditional religions tactics, a Mormon church would not straight up order people killed (at least not anymore) but Scientology would.

they are very similar though

Mormons are not considered christians.

You have to believe Christ was the savior and that the Holy Trinity exists to be considered a Christian denomination. They only have one of those and they put way too much faith in a guy with the most boring name ever.

They are not christian in anyway, they reject the trinity of God.

But I was raised Catholic so I look down on all protestants.

I for one have never really understood all the fuss about the mystery of the Trinity.
I actually discovered this through studying philosophy, for example Hegel's dialectics.

>www.templedeparis.fr
mistake

I typed "LDS Paris", it was the 1st hit, actually a bogus ad for Templars Chivalry or something

>I look down on all protestants.
As a German Lutheran I disagree with you

>Hegel's dialectics
Funny, I just started reading last week

Kek. They remind me of the Wild Hunt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

>www.ldschurchtemples.com/paris/
>As of April 2016, the attachment of stone cladding to the exterior of the Paris France Temple is nearing completion. Work continues simultaneously on patron and ...

>But I was raised Catholic so I look down on all protestants.

tolerance for religion seems pretty good at first. but acceptance of all religion opens up a breeding ground for very radical religious thought and belief, that combined with the easy access to government that the USA has and you have a population that believes in humans living with dinos and having to teach evolution along with creationism

They're friendly for the most part

They're the most autistic people on the planet though

>very radical religious thought and belief
well, reminds me of the Waco hostage crisis

It's not just acceptance of all religions regardless of the tenets that does that exclusively. Extreme repression and isolation can lead to some really crazy sects. Russia during Tsarist times was ripe with weird as hell sects. Just look at those guys that castrated themselves.

Nice people, i see a lot of them in my town

fug, they're already here in Versailles!

goo.
gl/maps/6Ke6BQDtuj62

I didn't know SJWs got started in Russia

True story, I guess they just need to be more secret about it, where in the USA they can be open about their crazyness

wtf Argentina I thought you are ok. Are there many Argentinian Mormons?

They're not Christian, though they'll say that they are

oh look the Mormon church's proxy

> Mitt Romeny was really watered down and moderate about his Mormonism
He might has been, but still it seems to be odd that a Mormon becomes the presidential candidate. Is it really just a coincidence? A coincidence considering how much money this sect owns?

They are like 1% oficial population, but the mormons that i see are not argentinians.

>still it seems to be odd that a Mormon becomes the presidential candidate
Mitt Romney just happened to be Mormon, the Mormon Church doesn't have that sort of political pull

Do they live in Patagonia?

Mormons are polytheists, they believe that Jesus was a man that became a God. It basically promises worshipers that they will also become Gods in the afterlife, with their own planets of Worshipers (only if they're vitreous enough though).

It combines new-age occultism and non-tributarian beliefs to make a weird as fuck religion that can't be called Christian in any literal sense.

Nah, they are distribuited

yeah, this line of thought is the same as everyone freaking out that JFK was Catholic and that the Pope was going to come over and take control of the USA. Power is too fleeting here for any one group to assume control of the government for too long. So why even try when you can just have your own incorporated venture in your own little corner of the country without people peering into your lives because you are a public servant.

>Mormons are polytheists
No, they're monotheists, they just believe in an alternative to the Trinity.

Read this shit and try to understand it: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Mormonism

>the Pope was going to come over and take control of the USA
He did, didn't he?
Just a few month ago; and he was cheered by the American media.

They're definitely cultish but I have a hard time being mean to them, they really do generally keep to themselves and are rather nice people (almost too nice though, even from an American perspective)

They're weird as fuck but yeah whatever lots of people are weird

Mormons are fucking weird and they believe in weird stuff. There aren't a lot where I live, but every one I've met has been like the nicest person ever. Like, I live in the Midwest and I think they're a little too nice.

Naw, there is a big difference between being cheered by the media and making direct decisions about public policy.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_Mormonism

Really makes you think

strange cult, known for going door to door to try and convert christians to their cult

also famous for massacring settlers crossing utah on the way to the western coast 150 odd years ago, also famous for having multiple wives, incest, and child brides

>They're weird as fuck but yeah whatever lots of people are weird
Maybe you are right. Maybe this old European seed is growing inside me that cannot accept different cults/sects

Sure, you are right. But it is obvious that the Vatican knows she can take influence on US politics within 2 decades due to Catholic immigration.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_Mormonism

shit I never put this together, so many things make sense now, Mormons are white muslims

>But it is obvious that the Vatican knows she can take influence on US politics within 2 decades due to Catholic immigration.
>Mexicans
>real Catholics
Nah senpai

I always thought of them like the brotherhood of NOD

Not really afraid of it.

My grandparents are mormons (as is most of their social circle) so when we travel to see them we get to see that part of it. My mom's a convert (to Catholicism, which I practice), and they still treat her well. It's kind of weird, and it does FEEL very distinctly American Christian. There's a type. European protestants != their American counterparts you know?

From what I've heard, the church also serves as a social safety net as long as you tithe. And tithing is very seriously taken. It also seems to serve as a huge social network. It's like us Catholics but the Vatican is in Utah and it's much smaller scale.

I'm a roman catholic, and I'll be damned if invaders change my country

>famous for massacring settlers crossing utah on the way to the western coast 150 odd years ago
Sounds very interesting. Can you post further information?

Kek. But they are at least not sacrificing Lamas to Mother Gaia

They're on our buses every now and then, talk to the people riding it.
The thing is, they don't go straight to their book, they strike up a normal conversation, and are extremely friendly. From what I've heard and experienced, they only go into missionary work when you ask them about it or if a religious subject comes up. Truth is, I love speaking to Americans, so I'll talk to any that find themselves on my island, doesn't really matter what cloth they're cut from.

Also I wouldn't really call them a cult. The most serious would give that impression but otherwise they're just very white, midwesternish, middle-class conservatives.

there are loads of islander mormons

Spoken like a true American. God bless you

>they're just very white, midwesternish, middle-class conservatives.
Mormons are the most vanilla of vanilla Americans

Are there very many of them there?

here you go old boy

law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mountainmeadows/leeaccount.html

Haha. Na m8 i'm catholic

There's definitely some kind of church or temple of some sort in the capital area, since I see them surprisingly often, yeah. They have Icelandic name-badges and everything, always a pair traveling together.

I've only met 3 mormons. One was a kid at school. Always dressed up and seemed to always have the same short hair, like he got a haircut every week. Didn't drink soda or coffee, that's one of their weird quirks

The other 2 mormons I met, I kid you not, were slavic-accented (Russian maybe) mormons who approached us in Salzburg, Austria near the waterfront at around 21:00. Tried converting us, we fucked with them a bit and left

>Aren't you afraid they will create a state within a state?

They already did, Utah basically belongs to them

Before that they wanted to create a little Mormon empire in the west called Deseret, but the US government went to war with them and suppressed them.

>they only go into missionary work when you ask them about it
this is a trick actually, all Mormons need to do missionary work, the good kids get send to northern Europe, the bad kids get sent to Africa. But in their training they are taught that no one likes religion pushed on them, so then just need to act as happy as possible, then when you bring up religion it seems like it was your idea for them to start into their sales pitch.

They're considered a heretical cult by basically every other denomination of Christian out there. Mormons will tell you they're Christian, but all Christians will insist that they are not.

Mostly they're harmless, friendly, wholesome people who are nonetheless highly evangelistic and not very forthcoming when you question them about the particular ways in which their religion differs sharply from Christianity, and especially when it comes to the matter of Joseph Smith's alleged prophethood. I'm not sure if it's because they're not allowed to divulge all the details of their faith to outsiders, or if it's because certain information is withheld from them until they're older and more highly ranked.

Mormons were in constant conflict with Christians during the early days of their religion, which is why they ended up in Utah. Nobody else wanted them around. Today though nobody really minds them.

I grew up in Arizona and every high school in my district had a mormon church next door so they could have a seminary class. Incredibly nice and bright people, I have absolutely 0 reason to hold any ill will towards the mormon faith.

for good reason did the federal government move to quell their antics

I respect it, honestly. I wonder if Romney went to Europe. He had to go somewhere, right?