Why are AMD products always so shoddily-built and half-finished...

Why are AMD products always so shoddily-built and half-finished? This could be a legit fire hazard and would certainly massively reduce lifespan. Is the whole thing a planned obselescence tactic, to force you to upgrade when your HBM burns out due to lack of any cooling?

youtube.com/watch?v=mYdQNifQ7Q8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4nEbpn6NKPQ
guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-releases-radeon-rx-vega-64-gaming-oc-windforce-2x-series.html
computerbase.de/2017-11/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-64-red-devil-test/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That would be PowerColor's issue, not AMD. AMD provides the GPU and that's it. PCB and cooling is handled by someone else.

>pooga 64

obvious shill, didn't even watch his own video.

Amd board partners are all shit. Xfx and sapphire are the better ones but even then xfx dropped the ball and sapphire has no quality control

It's AMD's issue. They're the ones providing partners with two different types of package, one of which is uneven and near-impossible to cool effectively. All the save a few cents on some resin. And they're the (((good guys))) if you listen to their shills.

because
>amd

Nice try shill

Third-party vendors always cut corners to satisfy the penny pitchers. It is a problem that plagues both camps.

I don't understand the appeal of third-party cards anyway. The reference design from both AMD and Nvidia are good enough for overwhelming majority of gamers. The hardcore overclocker crowd typically opt for their own HSF/waterblock solutions.

reference coolers are LOUD as fuck

Vega was 2 year late

>That would be PowerColor's issue
>It's AMD's issue.
>Third-party vendors always cut corners to satisfy the penny pitchers.
No. This is an issue with the fab's manufacturing the vega die differently. The fab's should bare the brunt of the criticism.

rally? is it AMD's fault that powercolor forgot to put thermal paste on one of the HBM modules?

No, the HBM and GPU core are different heights. When the heatsink/shroud was being assembled, paste was put on the heatsink, and then installed on the PCB.

The difference in HBM/GPU heights is a fabrication issue.

Ok, so when EVGA's 970's started blowing up, that was nVidia's issue?

>buying knock-off processors
I bet you buy games too

>powercolor in charge of quality
my 480 literally can't run furmark without melting
youtube.com/watch?v=4nEbpn6NKPQ

>literally mentions they fixed it in the video
are you stupid or something

Who’s fault was it when EVGA’s 10-series cards started blowing up?

I bought a powercolor R9 270 two years ago. Something was wrong with it in that if it ran 2d at stock clocks, it'd about 50% of the time whenever 2d video is played, mostly with youtube. The only way to fix it is to overclock 2d to 3d speeds. It was dumb and apparently a somewhat common issue.

powercolor RMA is so retarded it would have cost more than half the price of the card to get it shipped to and fro to get it fixed. In warranty shipping on customer dime? Fuck you.

>Just add MOAR paste and it's fixed!
>Heatsink still doesn't make contact with HBM modules
I went to the doctor the other day with a compound fracture in my leg. He put a bandaid on it and said "there you go! all fixed!"

POWAHCOLLAR

Blame the company producing the GPU. It's not made in AMD's factory, but instead powercolor. You'd have to be an actual moron to think this was AMD's fault. Stop baiting people.

/thread

Here is the only response you'll get because when a third party does something terrible for Nvidia its FUCK THIRD PARTY but when its an AMD product regardless of any circumstances it is always - without exception - FUCK AMD.

Hell when Nvidia's driver was bricking laptops (driver nuking display EDID) last year Sup Forums tried to blame Intel for it by claiming it was related to VGA passthrough.

False equivalency and you know it. For this use case more thermal paste will alleviate the issue.

Never 4get 1.7% woodscrews

>they fixed it
I honestly don't buy it.. perhaps they did, perhaps they didn't. Perhaps they made a bunch of cards which are on their way to stores before fixing it, perhaps not. Perhaps they did nothing and sent GN some picture that looks better than the board they had.

I know I sound a bit overly skeptical. But we're talking about Powercolor, the company that likes to put VRMs rated at half of those on the reference PCB ... which they "fix" by bold-faced telling their customers not to run benchmarks or overclock.

AMD truly does deserve some of the blame, that's obvious when you look at their package. It's their design and product that has an uneven surface on the package. That is their fault, nobody else. Powercolor is to blame for not taking this into account but they wouldn't have had to deal with it if AMDs design wasn't stupid to begin with. And it is.

>without exception - FUCK AMD.
Huh, yeah.. I remember people saying that R9 390's ran hot, but the sapphire one hits 70'c max at stock.

Of course it was EVGA's issue. Nobody else's card had the same issue, and EVGA themselves changed the cooler design, and released a fix for affected cards.

so any change on custom vegas? gigabyte also launched theirs

>hits 70'c max at stock
I had one for two years, it's mroe like 75C on heavy games
but again I have asus 1070 now and it is also 75C
TDP is not a factor in real temps as it turns out

>so any change on custom vegas?
Coming right along with Redux.
>gigabyte also launched theirs
Where.

guru3d.com/news-story/gigabyte-releases-radeon-rx-vega-64-gaming-oc-windforce-2x-series.html

>Coming right along with Redux.
I have 1070 now, couldn't wait, but I sure hope magic driver is not just a rumor. I also really miss Radeon Settings.

>not AORUS
Meh.
Nothing "magical" delivering something that was supposed to be there for launch.

>It's their design and product that has an uneven surface on the package.
Two different fabs make the same die with the same specifications. One fab makes it so the HBM and gpu are level, the other makes they're not.

Stop trying to create a strawman argument, kid.

What a dumb comparison. Nvidia weren't supplying the components that were bad on EVGA's cards. AMD ARE supplying these bad, unmoulded GPUs with mismatched heights that literally cannot be cooled effectively by any kind of flat surface.

And in the case of the EVGA cards, it was due to a bad batch of power components that then failed. They were also fucked over by a bad supplier - it was just some chinks, rather than some Indians.

>literally cannot be cooled effectively by any kind of flat surface.
A little thicker layer of paste does fine.

That's literally what he said. The uneven package is not acceptable.

Stop trying to hand wave AMD's fuck ups, kid.

>A little thicker layer of paste does fine
LOL

Imagine actually being dumb enough to think this. The entire reason that Intel's CPUs are such fucking housefires is because of the IHS making poor contact with the die due to a larger-than-necessary gap filled with bad thermal paste.

I think you're trying a little bit *too* hard.

Whereas you're not trying at all. Because you know you have no argument.

You're trying too hard, pal.
No one had any problems with unmolded packages.

There is literally a problem with the unmolded packages in the OP.

after so many months and after already we knew that those 2 different chips were actually 56 and 64 being made on totally 2 different factories

shills still try to shit on amd without even basic knowledge

>There is literally a problem with the unmolded packages in the OP.
Where?

>acknowledges the issue
>pretends it's not an issue

The first post of this thread, often known as the "OP". Just a little Sup Forums insider terminology, my reddit-using friend. :)

And stop trying to hand wave AMD's fuck ups, kid.

Show me some actual cooling problems caused by unmolded packages, preferably with hwinfo stats.

>Perhaps they did nothing and sent GN some picture that looks better than the board they had.
he said the model he was sent was a engineering/test sample and not production

No, watch the video in the "OP" and Steve will explain the problem for you.

I literally ordered a delid kit for my fucking 6700k because intel can't be arsed to have GOOD FUCKING CONTACT.

Show me the actual cooling problems caused by unmolded package (with hwinfo stats) or fuck off, Steve.

Yeah, it's an actual observable major issue with Intel's CPUs. The AMDrones are pretending that bad cooler contact doesn't matter though, because they can't admit any fault with master's products.
>JUST SQUEEZE A TUBE OF THERMAL PASTE IN THERE IT'LL BE FINE!

Steve explains why and when the full review will be coming, and hints at horrible thermal performance within.

he cant because its already debunked since every idiotic youtuber instead of actually researching went on publishing first

we know that the two different packages were actually vega 56 and vega 64 made on two different places and nothing more hence why even the stock vega out of amd doesnt even have a single heating problem

Show me some actual cooling problems already you retarded nigger.
Is it THAT hard to post some review with hwinfo stats?

Steve has already said when the numbers will be posted. I know you guys aren't paid to watch Youtube videos, but this one will help.

Stop trying to hand wave AMD's fuck ups, kids.

I dont care about curlyhaired nigger.
Post some actual review comparing molded and unmolded Vega, hwinfo included.

steve says a lot of stuff which he never delivers

probably because we already have a buttload of reviews out there that is showing NOTHING at all
and to further bring some evidence just see the vega 56 and vega 64 from EK

>uneven and near-impossible to cool
just shim it with copper, how hard is that?

Watch the video. Thanks for the bump though!

>steve says a lot of stuff which he never delivers
You'll have no problem naming five examples then. Because I know that you wouldn't lie to try and hand wave AMD's fuck ups, kid.

Actually, why not just provide each card in a custom-built complete system with a custom water loop? Cost is irrelevant, because AMD products are worth every penny!

Post some actual review comparing molded and unmolded Vega, hwinfo included.
Do it, Steve.

totally not commecting on the EK coolers

when you know you are about to burst out and just continues vomiting idiotic stuff

where is my burnt pci lane by rx480 tests?
steve was very quick defending evga, oh so quick

It's only a bit quieter and slightly cooler and slightly faster than reference. Not sure why they only tested at 4K though. Kinda sucks.

computerbase.de/2017-11/powercolor-radeon-rx-vega-64-red-devil-test/

Every OEM and laptop manufacturer use shit tier paste...

I've repasted 2 alienware laptops and 1 high end sony laptop and the paste on both where shit...

For the alienwares, the paste was all over the fucking place and for the Sony viao, half of the paste wasnt even on the dye.

Novidya does a shit job with their thermal paste too. Not to mention HP with their Novidya chipset dying.

you must be retarded

If I order 100 unites of something from a supplier and half of them are messed up because they don't have their shit in order then that's their fault and it doesn't matter what their story is. If it's them using two different factories then that's their problem.

no amount of retarded shill fag-talk will change this

It really is totally unacceptable regardless of how many does it wrong.

Generally, though, it really is quite sad that so many are making bad choices. Toothpaste isn't very expensive, it's probably not even 0.01% of the total cost.

I agree with you, but sadly this is the case, all manufacturers are cuting corners and dont give a flying fuck about it.

We have to put up with it, because the normies dont know about this shit and will buy any defective crap (((they))) sell them.

I dont know what the hell happens but its almost like their quality control has gotten more relaxed.

I bought a power color red dragon rx580
Am I fucked

Nope, it doesn't even have HBM.

It's coming. Find out when in the video in the OP!

>[Screeching in retard]

Could you post a link to him promising "burnt pci lane by rx480 tests" please? And I don't recall him rushing to EVGA's defence. Please provide a link to that too. Maybe you're thinking of JayzTwoCents.

They do, but this isn't really even an issue of a bad paste job. The paste would be absolutely fine (great even, since it's a thin and even application), were it not for AMD's fuck up in making the package uneven, increasing costs for their AIB partners and raising temperatures, since the only way to "fix" it is to drown the thing in thermal paste and pray that it transfers enough heat.