Why do CS graduates want to live in silicon valley so much?

Why do CS graduates want to live in silicon valley so much?
Imagine earning a 6-figure salary, only to pay half of it in housing costs.
You know what $2000 a month gets you in the bay area?
A 1 bedroom apartment subleased to you along with 5 other people.

Other urls found in this thread:

public.tableau.com/views/SV1502017/Dashboard1?:showVizHome=no&:embed=true
glassdoor.com/Salary/Google-Salaries-E9079.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>You know what $2000 a month gets you in the bay area?
>A 1 bedroom apartment subleased to you along with 5 other people.
LOL, you think 2 grand will go that far?
$2,000 and you might be allowed to live in one of the closets that one of the 6 people rents out to help pay for his own rent.

I don't. I've been desperately trying to avoid going to Texas or California but all the job offerings in my field of study are there. I feel like I should just get a PhD and work in some national laboratory in the middle of nowhere for the rest of my days.

you are wrong, though.

If you know to live cheapy, you can save 40k a year easily on a 100k salary. That will pay off your student loan in a few years, and you can save 400k in ten years + bonus investment even if you do not get any raise.

It's pretty much the same as working on an oil rig.

CoL is high but you get to live in an actual city and companies will suck your dick to get you to work for them. If you're making under 120k in SF you're doing it wrong.

workers go where the jobs are, companies locate where the workers are. Virtuous or vicious cycle, depending on your perspective.

earning 120k spending 50k on rent vs earning 60k spending 20k on rent i wonder which one is better...

You couldn't pay me to even set foot in California. I'd rather keep my guns.

the one where you don't spend $10 to drive in and out of the city everyday.

is the commute really bad? just get a house farther away. I don't want to see any coworkers out side of work while i'm shopping.

$6 in the morning*

So don't exaggerate. I live in Fremont and I was taking BART every day to 16th ST. for work. I was spending like $12.50 every day 5 days a week for work. Plus, I can't bring a hot lunch with me so I ate out most of the time. It got very expensive.

>Why do CS graduates want to live in silicon valley so much?
Speaking as an outsider: The allure. The prestige. The associated glamour.

You have seen the tech-movies, yes?

Because dumbfucks think that it's prestigious to work for one of these disgusting, leftist, sjw controlled shitfirms. I have more respect for the manetally handicapped walmart cleaner than I do people who work at these companies

I live in New York and I pay 1,300k a month room mating with a friend, both rent and bills combined
It's pretty easy living desu

Why couldn't you bring a hot lunch?
You don't want to be seen carrying a backpack?
Is it embarrassing to be seen scrimping on meals by bringing homecooked food everyday?

I know this is a baseless assumption, but I'm sure smug assholes in SF really do think this way.

Even if you lose your job there everyone will want to hire you if you don't fuck up too badly. People make a big deal out of the costs but they should be manageable at least. Besides, only rednecks like wouldn't be a good fit to live there.

Lmao is this sour grapes? Trust me we don't want your redneck mentality here anyway.

Normally companies developed locally and you didn't have to deal with the problem of every single company being located close.
This hasn't been updated with this years numbers yet, but you have 70 companies with over $1b market cap in the same area.
public.tableau.com/views/SV1502017/Dashboard1?:showVizHome=no&:embed=true

Unfortunately Silicon Valley is still the center for most corporations in tech in the US. Fortunately, due to Commiefornia sucking more balls than ever, companies are starting to leave and go to Texas, which is not all that cheaper to live but its already an improvement.

>take BART from fucking Bay Point to Lake Merritt daily
>a fucking ROOM in Bay Point cost me $900 dollarydoos because hurr durr bay area still
>$310 in BART costs monthly
>lucked out and get an actual studio apartment near LM
>it's 5 minutes from work
>rent is higher but saves me 300 bucks and 3 hours of commute daily
I really want this IT meme to end
PS I don't work in IT

Is there anything wrong with living in a box truck on company property?
I'd love to do this and not have to pay rent, especially if it's a meme company like google that has free gyms, showers and kitchens for it's employees.

>why do people want to live where the jobs are?

>an improvement
Maybe to you, but I sure as hell don't enjoy having my state flooded with Commiefornian and Indian filth. My town is full of In-N-Out burger joints and Hindu temples now and it's really pissing me the fuck off.

Not just that user
Since the Damore thing
HR has been looking for scalps
It was never a good place to work
But now, one mildly offended diversity hire
and you're blacklisted
good fucking luck
I haven't saved anything since starting here
What I didn't spend on rent,
I spent on student loan payments
I've had so much overtime
I have no life outside work

If you know what's good for you
Stay away from Google

The reason why I can't have a warm meal is because I do commercial refrigeration, so I'm constantly in a van on the go fixing shit. So either I
A) Buy a hot meal
B)Luck out and the manager of x restaurant offers me a free meal (Yank Sing's manager Nathan used to always give me a free to go box)

Now, I work all of the bay. But I go as far as Crescent City to Greenfield (past Salinas). I work for ICEE now doing different projects such as fixing the reverse osmosis/ water softener and the nitro brew machines for Starbucks and do maintenance for FBD ICEE machines.

tfw live with my dad so I live rent free in Fremont

Here in Seattle $2k/mo is just enough for a 1 bed apartment rental.

For now. Californians GET OUT REEEEEE

>Got out of retail slavery making $10/hr part-time
>used to work early afternoon to closing being able to vidya and relax in the night
>used to commute 5 minutes on rural traffic
>work in a engineering firm as a CAD technician proofreading drawings making $13/hr full-time
>now commute an hour plus to and from on car accident prone highways through the city
>can barely sit back and relax before needing to go to sleep for work early in the morning
tell me i'll get used to it or people have it worse

>if you value the second amendment, you're a redneck
t. soyboys

>if you write a manifesto against other races and make it available for the employees to read you'll be fired
well no shit, genius.

I have a 2 bedroom in San Jose, 15 minute drive to work for $1600 a month. Considering getting a roommate since the living room and other bedroom are completely empty, but fuck dealing with other people.

You won't. For six months I've been doing that 3 hour commute waking up at 3am just so I can get a parking spot at BART and my eyelid began to twitch uncontrollably. It's gotten better now since I can get 8 hours of sleep but back then I begin the day already tired.

Most software companies in sf provide lunch. Something like eatclub. My company also pays for public transit costs.

I wouldn't go through with that bullshit for $13/hr that's for sure. Maybe at $20/hr.

$13/hr is 27k annual, no way in hell am I wasting 520 hours in commuter traffic for that pittance of a wage.

>box truck
maximum comfyness

i wonder what is his battlestation setup

you make $300k as a senior dev at google, although they're starting to cut costs

see

>you get to live in an actual city
Why is that a good thing? So some homeless guy can shit on your frontstep and later panhandle you outside the Ethiopian restaurant you rave about but never eat at? Is it the opera you never attend, the sports stadium with $18 beers, or the rush hour traffic that now lasts over six hours per day? Do you even have a reason other than it's trendy to do so?

>senior dev at Google

May as well try out for professional sports teams, you're looking at about the same likelyhood. I hear the Denver Broncos have an opening at backup QB after this year.

1500 players in the NFL. 60,000 software engineers at Google.

You're in every google thread
You always say

>$300K

Nobody believes your bullshit

glassdoor.com/Salary/Google-Salaries-E9079.htm

yeah, i wouldn't move before getting an offer from one of the big 5
~35k engineers, but it doesn't really matter. study the green book and you'll get in
a big chunk of it is equity, the salaries are $120k-$160k. the salaries on Glassdoor are skewed low because of historical data and because they moved comp from bonus to base salary in 2011.

i've made $230k so far this year, and i'm entry-level ENG and not even in the valley.

california really is the worst state in the country. it has the worst poverty rate at almost 25%. terrible taxes. terrible traffic. terrible COL. terrible people. terrible economic disparity. crime, race riots, fires, earthquakes, and strife. The economy consists of a couple of successful industries, and everyone else serves those people coffee at starbucks. Its why california has a net emigration rate for US citizens. no one wants to live there.

Yet with all those miseries, hollywood, major companies, and the politicians they bought manage to portray the state in media as a land of oppurtunity and prosperity. let them live in their false utopia i say. i will enjoy my life in the suburbs or real america.

Get rekt
Nobody believes you
Go work for your tax evader
I hope the building catches fire
and the fire dept can't come
because they're unfunded
due to lack of tax revenue

leeches
your company
and you

>be me
>be Canadian
>every "city" is shit, smaller areas even worse
>permanent move to the States all but impossible

Canada is great let Drumpf build his northern wall and keep the Burgers stuck down south.

This guy has it right. I live in the greater los angeles area, cities are complete shit. The one benefit is a good array of restaurants, and even that is severely mitigated by the fact that you have to drive through streets filled with people who are barely aware they are even driving a car, then struggle to find parking, then when you finally find fucking parking, you gotta walk 5 minutes to the fucking restaurant cause the only fucking parking was several blocks over in a shady ass part of town where you feel like you'll probably be murdered. fuck cities

if you live in an actual city, not a suburb, why the fuck wouldn't you just ride a bike everywhere?
Everyone drives so slowly because of the shit traffic it's the only place where you can safely traverse traffic without getting run over by a faggot in a brotruck.

in hot southwestern cities you use a car because it has air conditioning. in midwestern and northeastern cities where it gets cold in winter you use a car because it has heat. everywhere else you drive because bikes are easy to steal and make both drivers and pedestrians hate you.

nah man come chill in texas

I live in Cleveland. I make over $75K/year with about three years of experience. My girlfriend and I share a car and apartment so my actual living expenses are under a thousand a month. Get a degree, focus on what businesses want, and move to an area (or back to an area) with a brain drain problem. Low supply, high demand, and plenty of cheap options. I'll be done with my student loans in under six months.

Also keep in mind that the percent of your income that you save is the real indicator of wealth, not the amount you save. At the rate I'm going I can retire early and fuck off in well under a decade.

except a lot of the time working on an oil rig your living expenses are 0

>The prestige.
>Because dumbfucks think that it's prestigious
kek

>Also keep in mind that the percent of your income that you save is the real indicator of wealth, not the amount you save. At the rate I'm going I can retire early and fuck off in well under a decade.
>I've literally never heard of moving
I live in the Seattle area and make 200k a year my first year out of college. Already paid off loans, should have enough to retire on in 5 years, earlier depending on how promotions go.

Most of these are burger city issues though. Good luck getting murdered in Berlin or Zurich or Paris. Even if they too can be pricey and have few parking spots you are free to use public transport or a bike instead.

I had to commute between Reno and Nor Cal, every day in the middle of winter as a team lead. Needless to say I lasted a month.

It wasn't the internal politics, nor the 12 hour days, it was driving over the pass, hoping to god I made it out alive that convinced me nothing actually dangerous is worth ~15 an hour.

Regularly saw the following:
>truck is slowly slipping backward, spinning its tires, with chains, unable to move forward but at least not going backward
>some asian/dumb cunt in a rear wheel drive got through past chain control, without chains, starts slipping backwards with full brake application.
>drive by a serious accident about once a week
>get a 2" rock chucked into my window from across the highway, would have hit my face if it made it through the windshield.

>1,300K a month

>Good luck getting murdered in Muslim infested hellholes

sent ;)

Keep taking your pills cleetus

Sorry, I don't buy meme products. And I'm pretty sure it's spelled "Cletus."

kek, minimum wage where I am is going up to 11.70/hr. This is people working at McDonald's. You're making a $1.30 more to be a CAD technician. What the fuck?

Go away Alex.

Do not envy you guys one iota,

>>Lives in Midwest
>>Owns E Waste and business retired asset recovery company.
>>Do electronics design work on the side to stay current at my leisure.
>>Make north of 350k in slow but steady Midwest economy.
>>Loans paid
>>Autos and bike paid
k mid century modern ranch nestled in the hills just outside of city on 10 acres of private woodland paid.
>>Commute time 10 Minutes, 15 if it snows.

Would not even consider an ocean view at this point in the game. Pic related this is where I sit and enjoy the evenings with a cold one weather permitting.

/Thread

>CAD tech
>go to school for two years to draw lines
That seems about right.

Because I earned $430k last year.

How do you find places with brain drains problems?

this is some good fanfiction

That looks really comfy user. You're living the dream.

Sure you don't cleetus

There's already a northern wall you idiot, it's called the border.
You can't really be an illegal as a Canadian, they deport those.

My name is actually Bubba Joe Bob.

I worked as a contractor for a couple Google X projects. One of the Google engineers I worked with was doing just that. He had two or three parking lots to be in, legitimately, and just moved between them. He ate all his meals on the company dime, used the gym facilities to keep clean, and banked an absurd amount of cash while he was there.

>Why do CS graduates want to live in silicon valley so much?
the women in the midwest are not attractive

If you live in a city and drive you're doing it wrong. The benefit of a city is that there's actually stuff to do here, nightlife, tons of different people and opportunities. Rural America is economically dead, suburbs are boring as hell full of waspy families whose idea of a good time is going to PTA meetings.

Don't need to go full SF, I went with Boston personally, but I fuck living in small towns.

How's the social life?

>the green book

Basically I don't give a fuck about a bunch muslims also being around.

Still not going to get murdered in some LA gang wars, or by the police being twitchy with their guns while issuing parking tickets, or some shit like that.

European cities aren't all perfect either, but burger issues are burger issues. Again, good luck getting murdered by a stranger in some place like Vienna.

The pay in the Bay Area after you account for the cost of living and taxes is in the same range as other top metros for the tech industry. People think there are huge differences on average, but there aren't once you account for everything. Again, that's just on average.

If you live in a box truck, do you just bolt all the furniture to the floor?

The only thing that would suck is not having any windows, but living in your vehicle means you need to hide in plain sight.
What would I do for electricity?

Midwest girls are the most attractive in the US - are you actually retarded?

I mean, that's not much by global standards, but...

Looks fucking comfy.

Small-ish towns or places with lots of small towns are simply the best. I visited major cities when I was younger and I was never more disappointed than when I went to New Orleans only to pay a shit ton for parking a mile away from the French Quarter, overpriced everything, and literally no public restrooms unless you bought food at an overpriced restaurant or wanted to chance catching Syphilis in the Cafe Du Monde bathroom.

And quite honestly, Cafe Du Monde was the only worthwhile part of New Orleans. Every bit as good as you would expect a world-renowned coffee joint to be, incredible service, damn good coffee. Shame about the bathrooms. Indeed, a shame about the entire fucking city of New Orleans.

>If you live in a city and drive you're doing it wrong.
Most burger cities are semi- to entirely inaccessible without cars, though. Never mind most towns.

There are a few exceptions like SF where maybe you could possibly get around at least some of the city without a car, but even then you're SOL if you even want to reach most of the surrounding towns.

You have insanely low standards.

Uh, you can reach most of the area by train.

Live in small city ~100k pop still get the benefits of having good restaurants and shops. have nice beaches that aren't crowded, mountains nearby to hike and awesome waterholes.... Most of the good stuff that comes with living in small cities is free. Big cities you have to fork out for your entertainment.

How the fuck?

I'm comparing, not rating. Your statement makes no sense.

Fucking nobody thinks the Midwest has the most attractive women in the US.

>vinpocetine
that's a chemo drug

Only if you're a retarded millennial who wants to LIVE IT UP in the overpriced shithole that is SF instead of a suburb in the valley.

That's not an argument you dense cunt. It's a mathematical fact that it's in the same narrow range as pretty much all the others.

And you're retarded as fuck if you think the valley suburbs are significantly more affordable. They're not.

Why would you want to reach the surrounding towns? Still lyft/uber are things even when the buses go down and the streets aren't bike safe.

When you say awesome waterholes do you mean nice atmosphere or overall experience? I go out to meet people. I find a lot more in larger cities, and some are pretty damn interesting. It does depend on the kinda stuff you want for nightlife, but in bigger cities while the cost is higher the salary is too

Because you can earn $500,000 a year which isn't possible anywhere else

What good is that money if you have no time to spend it?

You can reach a parking spot like the one in Fremont with it's 2000(!) car slots if you're willing to spend an extra 30 minutes vs driving each way.

These parking spots exist because it'd still still be like an one hour walk from the station to people's home, if not more. That's what I call semi-inaccessible. Of course, the issues somewhat lessen if you can choose to rent places that make the commute easier, but still, it's not that great.

And SF and some other areas are way better than most US cities.

Compared to the other areas? Where the girls are literally unfuckable in most cases?

I earn $500,000 a year from my BTC and XMR sitting on my ass in the middle of nowhere. Enjoy your 80 hour wage slave week.