Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Black-Passport-Ultra-Portable-External/dp/B00W8XXRPM
amazon.com/dp/B01LXF3C7Z/
blog.seagate.com/intelligent/hamr-next-leap-forward-now/
newyorker.com/magazine/2017/05/29/the-world-is-running-out-of-sand/amp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Money

>how do i economies of scale

Actually to make 1 TB you only need 8 of them.

>it costs $0.50 to manufacture it
I highly doubt that

It does seem too little. Chips are cheap, but not that cheap I think.

>50 cents each

[citation needed]

Also, the machine costs $1.5 billion dollars and the cards will be obsolete long before it pays for itself if you're selling them at "50 cents each".

sd cards dont have gold in them. just copper, plastic and some flux

>just copper, plastic and some flux
and the human body is just a loaf of random ass elements. Whats your point?
R&D, manufacturing, sourcing materials, QA, packing, sales and management aren't all just magically free because you have "copper, plastic and some flux"

i'd say about 5$.

The cost of memory is from R&D and getting fabs running. Chips are being produced with so tiny details that it just takes so much to develop manufacturing process. The chips themselves are mostly made from cheap materials.

you are fully aware in 2001 512mb RAM costs 2 grand each and 7 years later they're trash nobody wants
memory prices barely change since 2010. 1TB drives cost $60 then and its about the same now.
Something very fuckey is going on

refer to , especially what the dog is saying in the image.

The flooding didn't help.

being racist will get you nowhere seagate shill

Yes, silicon shortage.

Missed an opportunity to say, chips are cheap but theyre not cheap as chips.

Commies BTFO again

price fixing

If you have around 50 liters of water, listen. Human body is around 60% water, so we should be able to make a human by just winging it.

Small-time Aliexpress chinks constantly try to outchinks each other and you'd be hard pressed to find 128GB microSDXC for anything less than $40.

How much do those machines cost?

>blaming the floods and fires half a decade after they happened
It's just the NAND cartel jewing people

Goddam false equivalencies everywhere in this thread.
I swear to the god corporate shills meme in Sup Forums is real and everytime you doubt their practices they pop out to shut you up with whatever theyve learned about internet culture.

>Can't into math
Anyway, even if you factor out R&D costs and transport, it's still quite a bit more than ¢50.
Not to mention the fact that having a TB of those would be slower than a desktop hard drive anyway

But you can get a design manufactured from TSMC in reasonably small quantities

Agreed!

>Almost 2017
>People still not starting their own billion-dollar factories to get 1TB of storage
What a bunch of sheep

Do you have any idea how much time and money is required to build a fan? We're talking at a minimum several hundred million dollars for a small fab. Pretty sure half a dozen fabs were basically destroyed with all equipment lost. They replaced 2 or 3 of them with new fabs, but the fabs that were destroyed weren't making BRAND new fabbed stuff they were slightly older and those older fabs weren't replaced 1 for 1. Nor did the new fabs necessarily fab the same stuff the others used to.

Tldr you're retarded. It took decades for the industry to reach that point, expecting the repercussions of the flooding to be long gone less than a decade after it happened is just ignorance on your part.

1.5 billion. 5 dollars is a stupid market price yeah but even if they sell 1TB SSDs at $20 each they'll get so much people buying them and they can recover their investment almost instantly. People always need more memory.

>fan
Fab

>1TB drives cost $60 then
no

Because SD cards aren't like traditional SSDs and are fucking dwarfed by M.2

>what is R&D + labor + insurance + etc

The cost of running a business isn't determined by cost of materials - price sold = profit
There are thousands of little things along the way that cost money. Employees cost money, getting permits costs money, obeying industry regulating costs money, etc etc.

Hard drives didn't advance because they already are as good as our current technology allows.
All the advancements require new shit like a helium atmosphere or heat assisted recording.
Big companies might not even bother to go further as SSDs are becoming a lot cheaper and denser.
They are also faster and less prone to failure.

You know the floods didn't affect places with fabs, right? All of those are in the US, SK, Taiwan and Japan, with older nodes in China
The fires for damage clean rooms in China, but not fabs
btw, chinks have sky rocketed Fab construction since 2014 to reduce their dependency on foreign fabs fit their local markets

Yes they do. I bought a western digital 1TB SATA EXT (still works btw) in 2010 for $62.99 and the price barely change in 2017 for an equivalent storage.

There was a 5TB 7200rpm 128MB cache Toshiba x300 for $120 last week on newegg.

Shop around idiot

Yeah, and the order will have the RnD and setup cost baked in to the price.

Yes. But it will be cheaper than $30/tb.

Buddy that black friday price doesnt count
I was talking about something like this
amazon.com/Black-Passport-Ultra-Portable-External/dp/B00W8XXRPM

Yes I bought the 1TB drive in 2010 during normal days (and not even is specialty discount shops it was just a normal town computer parts place) not during black friday or any firesale shit or anything like that. And it looks like prices got higher

amazon.com/dp/B01LXF3C7Z/

Running and maintaining the machine is probably very expensive

What the fuck are you two retards blabbering. $/tb has been dropping for years now, minus natural disasters. We have 12TB drives and were expecting up to 20TB within the next few years. You can go right now and buy an easystore with a 8TB WD red for 200$.

they are ripping us off.
and delaying manufacturing of "reram" "disks".

This. Pic related.

It's pretty amazing. Stop whining, very few things become better and cheaper at this rapid pace.

Cheaper =/= more advanced
The declining $/Gb can just as well be explained by a more mature manufactoring process
The capacity per platter hasn't gone up much and some manufactors have just increased the ammount of platters used, like in the Ultrastar He12 (pic related).
12+Gb HDD's will probably need HAMR, which is unlikely to be available before 2019 and they will most certainly not be cheap for quite a while.

ok

this
they were more like $40-$50

bullshit. HDDs can go up to 20tb in drivespace, but their max speed have been reached (15k rpm)
SSDs on the otherhand can go into the PB range easily

obsolete? Fuck no.

Here, lets go this way, if each chip was lets say to make was 1$ you now have 128gb for 1$ at and lets also go with the a worst of worst for read of 80mb and write of 20mb

this is shit for normal use, but now lets put 10 of them together

you now have 1280gb of space, and if you just parallel the cards, thats 80mb read 20 write

now if you raid them

800mb read, 200mb write
and all while having seak times that are far better then hdds.
now, lets extrapolate out to 4tb,
that's now 3200mb read, 800mb write, and 40$

could go further

8tb, you now have 6400, and 1600 respectively for 80

if it was that cheap to do it, would it really obsolete itself, because honestly, most programs bottleneck somewhere around 400-500mb read, and write, at least on the consumer end, isn't something done all to often.

I could easily see if someone wanted to upset an entire industry, right here is the way to do it, we dont need to go for speed, but we need to go for overall space on a mass storage drive with whatever nand we have, and it would likely shit on hdds to the point that it would be a hard call to make.

in all honesty, imagine a company makeing a hdd, then imagine they allow you to add parts to it, so everything is controlled off one board type to save money, and through either jumpers or a switch, you choose what it does, do you go for massive fuck off storage that you can add to if the need arises? do you go for a 1 off I got everything I need for max speed?

Honestly, the first company to do something like this reliably would be the go to mass storage drive for years to come, and if it was that cheap, to make, how many of us wouldn't get a 10-20tb drive, if only to use as backup.

Yes, Seagate announced 20TB Hard drives but they themselves said THEY NEED HEAT ASSISTED MAGNETIC RECORDING for that and it will not be available for the mass market before 2019.
see blog.seagate.com/intelligent/hamr-next-leap-forward-now/
WD wants to go even more bullshit with their microwave assistance and glass platters, but god knows when they're gonna get that ready to market

> max speed
We're talking about space here, mostly. Look, OK, high-speed storages use SSD, but typical 7200 RPM SATA/SAS HDDs aren't bad when coupled in a RAID 10, backed by a RAM or SSD cache. SSD storages may be too expensive even for companies.

prices are going down in the higher TB drives, but not as much for the 1TB.

Why are the ones in casings cheaper?

Because executives and shareholders need money for yahts, cocaine and whores.

>If you have 10 of these it'll make 1TB.

128 * 8 = 1024

Cool! Now where do I get my hands on one of these machines? They're free, right?

Also SD slow as shit

materials, yield, technology, advanced equipment, everything is super expensive if you produce modern technology

there's a reason why processors cost hundreds of dollars

sd card are now faster than hdd. some uhs model can go 150 write read..

now i just feel embarrassed that i still only use hdd's

if you have lots of data HDD is still useful
SSD is just more durable and faster but still quite expensive to completely replace HDD for archival

50c in raw materials, perhaps
but you can't make an SD card using only lumps of the raw materials
it takes a pretty penny to research, make, and operate everything that turns that raw material into an sd card, and the cost of the sd card needs to be able to make up that cost

i mean i have my os and applications on a hdd as well, no ssd's
the biggest flash drive i own is 512MB, i moved to using a 2.5" hdd in a usb enclosure, and haven't felt pressure to change that just yet (currently has a 250GB drive in it, and i try to do network transfers for very large things, so i don't even use all of that)

>there's a reason why processors cost hundreds of dollars
jews

yeah, we're gonna run out of sand soon.

>shortage of the second most abundant element in Earth, just behind oxygen

>jews
I knew it

you have to go back to spreddit now

says who? you?

>5400 RPM
>Low cache
>Above average level of failure rate

That's why.

Nigger

Actually due to good sand getting rarer and rarer there are already turf wars over sand and stuff. It might even be one of the first natural resources we run out of.

there's a difference between "having a lot of sand" and "having a lot of silicon wafers"

yeah im sure they make them from then air.

Controlled slow down, don't want to advance too fast or else the goys wont be able to afford it m8.

newyorker.com/magazine/2017/05/29/the-world-is-running-out-of-sand/amp

thats not how it works you fucking communist idiot.

>wow this only takes $.50 of material and labor to make why is it so expensive
normies have such a poor understanding of business and microeconomics that i'm not surprised we have millions of millennials unironically supporting communism

Libyan here, no we're not.

Have fun making one then, faggot. Steppers are really fucking expensive.

>if you raid them
no one is going to buy a storage unit that fails in a week
does someone have a screencap of the thread with the guy who had 8 drives in raid 0?

>memory cartels giving you anything for cheap

You're confusing memory technologies here.

Blame the DRAM makers for there price collusion for that is why RAM prices are stupidly high ATM.
Hard drives have always had a steady price for years now because there is a higher minimum cost to making a HDD no matter the capacity, since they are quite complex.

True, it's that cheap when you buy bulk but you need chinese child workers and other stuff like a 14nm bakery.
99.99999% Silicon isn't that cheap although I don't know if those SD cards are 9 nines pure or worse - actually impure.
It's not fuckery, it's just that the price is at the equilibrium. Works best for the manufacturer.

This. Most tech geeks cannot into economics and think variable cost alone determines price.

Maybe production was 0.5$ but R&D was probably hundreds millions and the yield rate must also be considered.

Bullshit. 3TB hdds were $100 from 2012-2017. Only now are we seeing a drop, with 4TB drives being $100 and 8TB being double.

The price of bigger drives doesnt matter as they cost more per TB.

You really have to take into account
>R&D
>Sourcing material
>Manufacturing
>Yield
>Sales
>Salaries
>QA
>Transportation
And to top it off you actually have to turn a profit.

Fabrication for computer parts is extremely economical. The amount of actual metal in any any given computer product is absolutely tiny. An ounce could probably stretch for dozens if not a hundred or more wafers. I used to work in a fab manufacturing NAND and the profit margins for the product are pretty obscene. I figured out one time it probably took about 10 million a month to run the fab and we were told a single lot was worth anywhere from 2-300k on average. If i worked the right machine I could expect to send anywhere from 10 to 20 lots on to assembly in a 12 hour shift. Granted that doesn't take into account a whole host of other operational costs like R&D administration taxes and probably a million other things I wasn't even aware of.

However taking all that into consideration the somewhat unique nature of how semiconductor manufacturing works makes it really difficult to gauge just how much product its sensible to manufacture. There are a lot of companies manufacturing NAND and it takes roughly 90 days for something to go from a blank wafer to a product that can be sold. Demand can shift enormously in that period of time. Standards can to. Trying to close a gap in demand could leave you with a huge supply you literally cannot get rid of that forces you to drop prices below the cost of manufacturing just to maintain market share.

tl;dr companies theoretically could produce enough nand to justify dropping SD cards to 1-2 dollars but it wouldn't be worth their time to do so.

>The chips themselves are mostly made from cheap materials.

chip´s envelopes are the cheapest plastic available, meanwhile Chips, the electronic storage, is really expensive in R&D and manufacture.

This why electronic devices need be created in china, with chinese yuan reduce costs vs american dollar.