/tpg/ ThinkPad general

Old thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended freedom models:
xx00 series, IBM xx0 series
Checklibreboot.orgfor details.

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely avaiable, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replacable CPUs, IPS displays avaiable, chiclet
P-series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Core-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-8Gb-320GB-Win7-IPS-Display-Webcam-z/312012803881?hash=item48a5698f29:g:0ykAAOSwTmtaDXdH
reddit.com/
ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Tablet-i3-4GB-/263350101552?hash=item3d50e3a630
item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=552306449394
item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=558253887842
reddit.com
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834860413&cm_re=x230-_-34-860-413-_-Product
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/ bug/1550779
support.lenovo.com/de/en/solutions/migr-71037
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Nope.

So I´ve been wanting to get something smaller than my T400 for travelling. I decided on a X220, but I just found that I have a chance to grab an X230 for cheap.

What´s your opinion on the X230 compared to the X220?

Is the keyboard that bad?

£90 for x230 tablet, i3 with no hard drive. Worth it?

only the layout is worse in comparison to the classic keyboard, everything else is autism

>Is the keyboard that bad?
you can swap to the x220 one if you want though. Some anons argue that the chiclet is counterproductive, due to the lack of keys, and doesn't have the tactile feel of the classic one.

the battery on my new t430 drains fast. Im assuming its because its an old laptop. Do you always need to buy a new battery for a used thinkpad? I have no problem doing so if it means longer battery life

Why do people meme this laptop so much? Nothing special about it.
Its all about the brand and the image, like the Apple laptops.

ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Core-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-8Gb-320GB-Win7-IPS-Display-Webcam-z/312012803881?hash=item48a5698f29:g:0ykAAOSwTmtaDXdH

>X230
>IPS
>8GB RAM, 2,6 GHz
>104€

Where´s the trap? I already have an SSD laying around and I´ll need a new keyboard, but I can´t really see why do these cost half as much as the other X230 models.

>buy refurbished thinkpad
>no webcam even though it should have
Did I luck out? I love it.

I dont understand germany, but isnt that open for bidding, so thats not the final price?

If the battery is DEAD new original battery will cost +100 €. Thinkpads will whine with replacement batteries from china, but will work with them.

you belong here reddit.com/
reddit.com/
reddit.com/
reddit.com/
reddit.com/

yes

30 series always has been better
try it out for a while if you hate it swap the keyboard

have you checked the capacity on your current battery?

wasted dubs
bait better

if you're okay with i3.

it might be the cheapest x220t you may finjd, so yes, go for it.

Reposting from ass end of previous thread:

I saw a Libreboot X200 with 40GB SSD for $250. Fair deal? Would probably use it for casual web browsing and video playback. Might fuck around and write an ASCII game. Thinking of using Void or CloverOS.

No, it's a terrible deal for this laptop. You can get a T430 in good condition for this amount of money.

He's paying for the extra of having trannyboot though. It's added value.

I don't give a shit about that freetard crap and also think it's a waste but some people do care about that.

Then he should do it himself, paying 150$ extra for few hours of work is too much.

hell no.
Anyway, what's with you reddit-tier brainlets who want pre librebooted hardware. librebooting a laptop is half the fun in the whole process to attain freedom. I seriously don't understand how companies like minifree are able to sell pre librebooted hardware when their customer base consists of hobbyists who would prefer going through the whole process themselves rather than buying pre librebooted hardware.

You would only know that by having gone there yourself beforehand.

ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Tablet-i3-4GB-/263350101552?hash=item3d50e3a630

is it too good to be true?

Just bought them
Sorry bitch nigga

Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions.

>no charger
>no harddrive
>i3
>4gb ram
I think the price is justified. Atleast relative to burgerland it is. Also, 100% seller rating and the fact that it is eBay, I don't think there should be any problem

I've just seen much worse condition tablets go for a lot more. They're also more difficult to find in the uk.

Putting a x220 keyboard in a x230 is the way to go. The processor upgrade is worth it.

Just got my refurbished T440P, and postan on it. I think I am in love with this laptop. Anyone know where to get a replacement battery tho?

i got mine from aliexpress

also get an m.2 2248 ssd, 1080p display and quad core processor

I'll have to see once I get some money. The SSD will be something to look forward to. Do you have any suggestions on should I get an i7 or an i5?

Did anybody ever buy this mod and got it working? The seller says that he does not know whether it works with T430.
item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=552306449394
item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=558253887842

i7 of course, there are no mobile haswell quad core i5s

www.apple.com amirite lamo

Thank you dude, I'm kinda new to laptops. Do you think if I can switch out the GT 730M my laptop has, for something more powerful?

>he cant even type in the address bar
reddit.com
reddit.com
reddit.com
reddit.com
reddit.com

"i dont like apple" is not an answer to the question "what makes these laptops stand out", you gen2 hipster.
you are being exactly a thinkpad macboi right now.

dude dont lie to me
I know youre here for the yous and I already gave you one

now take this one too and leave

youre just another macfag who cant read the OP
>Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

why should I even bother?

No, the GPU is soldered to the board.

>$40
Ayy that's cheap, there's a T420 FHD adapter on AliExpress for like $80.

Do you need help friend? I’m trying to understand what’s driving you to such outbursts. Do you need a fidget spinner?

>Ayy that's cheap, there's a T420 FHD adapter on AliExpress for like $80.
Exactly, but I tried ordering it and the seller is not sure that it is compatible with non-s versions, wtf.

How well does KDE run on a T420 with 8GB RAM?

how one do that?

Managed to get a T530 for 120 britbongs delivered. Feels good man

shit bait, bro
just go back to Sup Forums

Did you even read the fucking OP?
There's a section that says "Why ThinkPad?", retard.

what happened to the buyers guide?

LMAO. Are you for real?

ktgee is dead

is there a thinkpad ultrabook with micro sd storage?

I think you can use a external GPU if you really need more graphic power.

first time possting with my t420

The T440p doesn't have an ExpressCard slot and having to open your laptop each time you want to plug and use your GPU becomes annoying after the first time.

post more loli feet

Download hwmonitor and check battery specs

Try the X230 or a similar model. I use a microsd card inside an sd card adaptor as a backup location.

Good cheap lappies that weigh less than ~1.3kg and has a good battery?

My company said I can take on of the older company laptops before they donate them. I can only have one. I dont want any of the dells but

t420, t430, or t440?

If you wanna upgrade cpu then T420, if you don't then T440.

t440 non-p is an ulv so it's shit, pick the t430

T430. How's that even a choice?

x201s with the 9 cell is 1.6, you'll be fine with that sweetie

>tfw my Stepmom got my dad an IdeaPad
Jesus Christ, why won't they ask me about this shit? I wanted to get him an x220 or T420.
The processor is decent, but the turd has 4gb of (soldered) RAM, and a 1 TB HDD, which would be fine if it had an msata slot, but I believe it doesn't.

Thinking about buying a refurb x230 from newegg as my first thinkpad. Is this a decent deal (maybe upgrade the ram)?
newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834860413&cm_re=x230-_-34-860-413-_-Product
Also, any anons use an x230 for uni? Any reviews for that purpose?

Use eBay dude. I paid 15 dollars less for the tablet version from eBay.
Just confirm that computrace is disabled.
That shit is WAAAAAY too expensive.

pervert

more

Seems like you're the one who can't find his way
Gimme your fucking address so I can come over and click on the link for you

got a new used X230 and went ahead installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS command line version from netinstall, now I get this shit
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/linux/ bug/1550779

[ 9.574847] [drm:intel_set_pch_fifo_underrun_reporting [i915]] *ERROR* uncleared pch fifo underrun on pch transcoder A
[ 9.574895] [drm:intel_pch_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* PCH transcoder A FIFO underrun

this appears in TTY7, I can switch to another TTY and log in, do updates, etc. and I have network

did anyone have this before? seems like a kernel upgrade might do it..

its a t440p* and the 420 and 430 are s varisnts

Duh then it's obvious.

that's good so GCHQ and the NSA can't watch you rubbing one out.

T440p then of course.

What's the difficulty on switching motherboards on the T440p? Have already at hand a real beat up T440p with a working mobo that has the dGPU and I kinda want to switch that with mine that only has an iGPU. Think it's worth all the hassle?

You have the HMM so it should be easy. The HD4600 is more than enough for me but your mileage may vary.

nevermind CentOS doesn't have this problem
installing right now

I have a T500 with a cheap battery that only lasts for an hour. Is it still possible to get a Lenovo battery for it somewhere? Are there any good aftermarket battery brands?

you can find the FRUs here (number 14):
support.lenovo.com/de/en/solutions/migr-71037

then put one FRU into Ebay or Amazon and make sure it says "genuine" or some shit like that. Not "fits lenovo", "like fru 1234"... etc. if you want original Lenovo.

You might be lucky with aftermarket batteries. Got one for my x200, although fitment wasn't perfect. But they should last about as long as the originals. Buy from a reputable brand.

Are there any thinkpads with classic keyboards and HDMI out?

How much should I pay for a used W520?

I heard x220 will get libreboot support soon. Is that true?

i want to buy the most reasonably priced new thinkpad from 2016, or 2015. any suggestions? there are no production date designations provided

Am I the only one having issues with wifi? In uni library, even though im sitting right next to the router, the laptop just gets weaker signal, and loses it very often. is it my t420's wlan being old?

Only speculation. It's very unlikely, so don't count on it being any time soon.

Did I do good?
>T60
>new IPS 1050p screen
>T7200
>3 gigs ram
>160 gb hdd
>new keyboard
>ati x1400
>the only scratches are on the lid
got it for 54$

Nice

I got T61, but it's stuck in docking station without key. anyone know how to take it out?

Why is the buyer's guide dead?

My T420 is emitting a high pitched whine and is beeping continuously when plugged into power. It does this even when the machine is off. If I remove the batter and leave it plugged in it no longer exhibits this behavior. It works fine on battery power only.

Both the AC adapter and battery are aftermarket, has anyone run into this before?

stupid nigger

So, librebooting an X200 destroys the ME? first time doing it here.

ktee is ded,

Dude didn't want to maintain it anymoe

X220 was bluescreening on Windows 10 after like a month of use. I installed Win 7 Pro and now it bluescreened twice today after yet another month of use. Any idea what it was?

congrats, your mum doesn't have autism.

He was tired of anime posters like yourself.

maybe the ram or the hard drive is damaged. try searching the error code